MSU response

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:07 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
I THINK what they're saying is, we know there is risk associated with letting kids back in the dorms. We know this is going to lead to more cases of Covid and ultimately more people dying. We are willing to accept this risk because educating our kids is very important. Playing football is not important enough to risk more cases of Covid, i.e. more deaths. If I'm off base on this, someone please correct me.
Nobody wants to discuss the money aspect, but that had to be a major factor. Football at FCS does not make sense financially without fans in the stands. As we have seen with high school football, allowing fans in the stands from different cities would have been highly unlikely. As for dorms, revenue is critical to meeting the financial burden and the age of the students is favorable in battling Covid. Money had to be a major consideration.
The odd thing about the money aspect, especially at the FCS level, is that football doesn't make money for about 75% of the schools in a normal year. Maybe more. There's about 20 teams that average over 10,000 fans a game. I would wager that 50+ average under 5,000. Those programs are not making money.
Agreed. And that just made their decision to shut down football that much easier. I think there was huge pressure to shut things down, but very little pressure to make sure they play.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5717
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:56 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
I THINK what they're saying is, we know there is risk associated with letting kids back in the dorms. We know this is going to lead to more cases of Covid and ultimately more people dying. We are willing to accept this risk because educating our kids is very important. Playing football is not important enough to risk more cases of Covid, i.e. more deaths. If I'm off base on this, someone please correct me.
Thanks catatac!! I think a lot of people were wondering the same thing as 99. Hopefully this clears it up for them.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10196
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA
Contact:

Re: MSU response

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:04 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
You can go to school without really interacting with people, I did it all the time. I've heard the bigger lecture halls may go to remote sessions, while the smaller classes will still be in person. Desks can be spaced appropriately in a smaller setting. It isn't as safe as remote learning sure but like someone else said it's a calculated risk.

If football did play with limited fans or no fans, they will lose a lot of money, period. Especially when you throw in the testing protocols need. MSU makes most of it's money at the gate, 5k people versus 18k is a ton of money lost. Plus what do you do about tailgating?

There is such a big difference between a sporting event where players, fans, coaches, are all crammed into an area versus a campus with dozens and buildings and hundreds of classrooms.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am
See, you say things like “Why is Costco safer than a local gift shop?” But NOBODY EVER SAID THAT. They said “people will die without groceries, so I guess grocery stores are ‘essential’.”

R “How does a mask protect ME?”

Or “Some smaller schools in smaller towns where the case load is low have high school full time, so why doesn’t the Big Sky reinstate football in places like Utah, Arizona, and California where the case load is high.”

That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about with the bad faith listening. I could go on, but you keep making logical fallacies that have been debunked repeatedly.

I’m not sure that it makes any sense, because clearly you aren’t interested in answers. You’ve got an axe to grind.
So you must agree it was completely wrong to force smaller businesses to close then right? It doesn’t make sense.

You can say that every single thing we’ve been told to do and made to do makes complete sense. No issues whatsoever. I’m simply saying I think there are a lot of things we could have done better that would have taken better care of everyone.

Just like you keep claiming I don’t want to hear the answers and have an axe to grind. I can say the exact same thing about all the people on the other side. There could literally be nothing you could be asked to do that would warrant questioning. And regardless of what we’re told to do, we must ignore any reprocussions to other people.

I’m just trying to find solutions that will protect everyone. Not just the tiny fraction of people who will get Covid and the even tinier population that will become hospitalized or god forbid even die. No axe to grind. But I don’t think pointing out things that don’t really make sense means I don’t want to see the “truth”.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10196
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA
Contact:

Re: MSU response

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:22 am
I do care about answers. Ave while I appreciate the response, there are many inaccuracies.

For instance, right here in our valley kids ARE going to school full time.

Just because no one has SAID they deem dorms safe, the fact that dorms are open is proof itself. If they were deemed as dangerous as say, a bar past midnight, they wouldn’t be allowed to open.

In regards to baseball, I guess it depends on your definition of success. They’re still playing ball. They’ve had many cases and dealt with them. No hospitalizations, no deaths. Just postponing games and getting on with it. Other businesses do the same thing every day.

As an owner of several bars and liquor stores, I can say with 100% certainty they’re packed at all hours of the day. Watering holes that serve breakfast will be packed first thing in the morning. Since the pandemic started our liquor stores have set sales records and as soon as bars were deemed safe enough to open (again no one came out and SAID this, but by allowing them to open they suggested it’s safer than in was in April) people came in droves. I don’t know where you live but I can give you a list of about 20 bars that I know personally are as busy or busier at 9am than they are at 9pm.

In regards to testing, it’s more the results of the test than anything. We were I’ll prepared to test, and when results could take up to 10 days; it warranted the tests meaningless.

I didn’t say the wedding and funeral thing went on for a long time. I didn’t put a timetable on it. But there were thousands of people who lost a loved one and weren’t “allowed” a funeral. That sucks in and of itself but then to see rallies and protests had to have been a kick in the gut to those people robbed of celebrating loved ones.

Big box stores most certainly took steps in keeping people safe. And that’s super. It still doesn’t change the fact that the government was allowed to pick and choose what businesses could stay open and which had to close. And unless someone can give me a valid reason why Costco is safer than a downtown gift store forced to close, that was a huge overreach in my eyes. And again, I don’t recall anyone having a press conference SAYING Costco was safer, but allowing them to stay open 7 days a week while forcing local businesses to close suggests it must be safer. Or what’s the point?

Finally, of course we know more now than we did 6 months ago. But that doesn’t mean that every single phase and precaution we’ve endured is right. Or always makes sense. That is nothing more than a free pass. Think about that. Any person could make any decision and no matter what the consequences of that decision could be, they can always just fall back on it’s just what we knew at the time. No more blaming the president for anything! There’s no wrong decisions! Trump has done everything perfectly this whole pandemic. Just making excellent decisions based only on current knowledge. We’d be wrong to question anything ever. I’m sorry I just can’t buy that.
Are you.. are you mocking a strategy of making decisions based on the information presented to you at the time?


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by onceacat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 am
onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am
See, you say things like “Why is Costco safer than a local gift shop?” But NOBODY EVER SAID THAT. They said “people will die without groceries, so I guess grocery stores are ‘essential’.”

R “How does a mask protect ME?”

Or “Some smaller schools in smaller towns where the case load is low have high school full time, so why doesn’t the Big Sky reinstate football in places like Utah, Arizona, and California where the case load is high.”

That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about with the bad faith listening. I could go on, but you keep making logical fallacies that have been debunked repeatedly.

I’m not sure that it makes any sense, because clearly you aren’t interested in answers. You’ve got an axe to grind.
So you must agree it was completely wrong to force smaller businesses to close then right? It doesn’t make sense.

You can say that every single thing we’ve been told to do and made to do makes complete sense. No issues whatsoever. I’m simply saying I think there are a lot of things we could have done better that would have taken better care of everyone.

Just like you keep claiming I don’t want to hear the answers and have an axe to grind. I can say the exact same thing about all the people on the other side. There could literally be nothing you could be asked to do that would warrant questioning. And regardless of what we’re told to do, we must ignore any reprocussions to other people.

I’m just trying to find solutions that will protect everyone. Not just the tiny fraction of people who will get Covid and the even tinier population that will become hospitalized or god forbid even die. No axe to grind. But I don’t think pointing out things that don’t really make sense means I don’t want to see the “truth”.
You never said that you had concerns with the specifics of why certain actions were taken and others not. You said "no one has answered these questions." Those are two completely different things.

Obviously, we know know that shutdowns could have been much more narrowly tailored. But that's based on information we have 6 months later. Plenty of governments made plenty of decisions that were plain silly (Michigan forcing hardware stores to block off gardening supplies, for example. Montana exempting homeless people from the 'stay at home' order as another).

Saying "We could have done better" is one thing, saying "Nobody ever bothered to tell us why" is different.

Early on, federal, state, and local authorities set out procedures for what could be open at what point. Higher necessity and lower risk things for obvious reasons would open first (or never get shut down). High risk, low necessity things would take longer, and need to meet more stringent standards.

And different communities are going to have different standards for risking the safety of their citizens. The Belgrade School Board looked at the same set of data as the Bozeman School Board and decided that having students in school every day was an acceptable risk. The Bozeman School Board took a much more conservative approach and weighed the risk differently. Both boards were very transparent in their reasoning and explanations.

You don't have to agree with Bozeman's decision...plenty of people are unhappy with it. But its not as if they didn't give very crystal clear explanations as to why they made the decisions.

So, I guess we agree that "Things could be done better". We just don't agree that every single step has been taken without reasonable explanation to the public.



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by onceacat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:04 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
You can go to school without really interacting with people, I did it all the time. I've heard the bigger lecture halls may go to remote sessions, while the smaller classes will still be in person. Desks can be spaced appropriately in a smaller setting. It isn't as safe as remote learning sure but like someone else said it's a calculated risk.

If football did play with limited fans or no fans, they will lose a lot of money, period. Especially when you throw in the testing protocols need. MSU makes most of it's money at the gate, 5k people versus 18k is a ton of money lost. Plus what do you do about tailgating?

There is such a big difference between a sporting event where players, fans, coaches, are all crammed into an area versus a campus with dozens and buildings and hundreds of classrooms.
Also, students aren't typically shouting, screaming, and yelling in class. Many classes are being held in gym spaces where you can maintain 6' of spacing. Classes are only 50 minutes long, not 4 hours. Professors can kick out unmasked students & enforce distancing rules.

And, lets face it. Students making progress towards degrees in relatively important. Football is not. (Even for those of us who like to pretend its a matter of life and death, it just really isn't very important.)



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6317
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
I THINK what they're saying is, we know there is risk associated with letting kids back in the dorms. We know this is going to lead to more cases of Covid and ultimately more people dying. We are willing to accept this risk because educating our kids is very important. Playing football is not important enough to risk more cases of Covid, i.e. more deaths. If I'm off base on this, someone please correct me.
So again tell me why Walmart employees aren't all dead yet? Most don't wear the mask properly and constantly put their hand inside their masks to adjust them after touching everything and contact with people?
No, I can't tell you that because I have no idea! You're preaching to the choir on this one. I am simply trying to look at both sides here. Currently I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out why high school football is kicking off tonight and players, refs, and coaches aren't being required to wear masks throughout the game. So that's a couple hundred people (not including fans...) in extremely close proximity, unmasked for a couple hours. But if they go out to eat afterwards with a couple other people they better mask up.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by onceacat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:12 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
I THINK what they're saying is, we know there is risk associated with letting kids back in the dorms. We know this is going to lead to more cases of Covid and ultimately more people dying. We are willing to accept this risk because educating our kids is very important. Playing football is not important enough to risk more cases of Covid, i.e. more deaths. If I'm off base on this, someone please correct me.
So again tell me why Walmart employees aren't all dead yet? Most don't wear the mask properly and constantly put their hand inside their masks to adjust them after touching everything and contact with people?
No, I can't tell you that because I have no idea! You're preaching to the choir on this one. I am simply trying to look at both sides here. Currently I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out why high school football is kicking off tonight and players, refs, and coaches aren't being required to wear masks throughout the game. So that's a couple hundred people (not including fans...) in extremely close proximity, unmasked for a couple hours. But if they go out to eat afterwards with a couple other people they better mask up.
Because There’s an unspoken deal: if Montanans knock the spread of Covid down under certain thresholds, we can keep trying to get things back to normal. We slowly loosen up restrictions (which may or may not totally make sense 100% of the time). Other than Billings, most of Montana is on track to slowly ease up on things.

But if you do it all at once, you risk repeating the disaster in FL TX and AZ.



User avatar
Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: MSU response

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Can’t wait for November 4th. #ftlc


"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: MSU response

Post by Montanabob » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:32 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:12 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am
Dude. You keep on avoiding the school question. I'm keeping it very specific for you.

Where is the logic in MSU having school in person but not playing football? Why is one okay, and not the other?
I THINK what they're saying is, we know there is risk associated with letting kids back in the dorms. We know this is going to lead to more cases of Covid and ultimately more people dying. We are willing to accept this risk because educating our kids is very important. Playing football is not important enough to risk more cases of Covid, i.e. more deaths. If I'm off base on this, someone please correct me.
So again tell me why Walmart employees aren't all dead yet? Most don't wear the mask properly and constantly put their hand inside their masks to adjust them after touching everything and contact with people?
No, I can't tell you that because I have no idea! You're preaching to the choir on this one. I am simply trying to look at both sides here. Currently I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out why high school football is kicking off tonight and players, refs, and coaches aren't being required to wear masks throughout the game. So that's a couple hundred people (not including fans...) in extremely close proximity, unmasked for a couple hours. But if they go out to eat afterwards with a couple other people they better mask up.
Because There’s an unspoken deal: if Montanans knock the spread of Covid down under certain thresholds, we can keep trying to get things back to normal. We slowly loosen up restrictions (which may or may not totally make sense 100% of the time). Other than Billings, most of Montana is on track to slowly ease up on things.

But if you do it all at once, you risk repeating the disaster in FL TX and AZ.
Or Sweden


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:21 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 am
onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am
See, you say things like “Why is Costco safer than a local gift shop?” But NOBODY EVER SAID THAT. They said “people will die without groceries, so I guess grocery stores are ‘essential’.”

R “How does a mask protect ME?”

Or “Some smaller schools in smaller towns where the case load is low have high school full time, so why doesn’t the Big Sky reinstate football in places like Utah, Arizona, and California where the case load is high.”

That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about with the bad faith listening. I could go on, but you keep making logical fallacies that have been debunked repeatedly.

I’m not sure that it makes any sense, because clearly you aren’t interested in answers. You’ve got an axe to grind.
So you must agree it was completely wrong to force smaller businesses to close then right? It doesn’t make sense.

You can say that every single thing we’ve been told to do and made to do makes complete sense. No issues whatsoever. I’m simply saying I think there are a lot of things we could have done better that would have taken better care of everyone.

Just like you keep claiming I don’t want to hear the answers and have an axe to grind. I can say the exact same thing about all the people on the other side. There could literally be nothing you could be asked to do that would warrant questioning. And regardless of what we’re told to do, we must ignore any reprocussions to other people.

I’m just trying to find solutions that will protect everyone. Not just the tiny fraction of people who will get Covid and the even tinier population that will become hospitalized or god forbid even die. No axe to grind. But I don’t think pointing out things that don’t really make sense means I don’t want to see the “truth”.
You never said that you had concerns with the specifics of why certain actions were taken and others not. You said "no one has answered these questions." Those are two completely different things.

Obviously, we know know that shutdowns could have been much more narrowly tailored. But that's based on information we have 6 months later. Plenty of governments made plenty of decisions that were plain silly (Michigan forcing hardware stores to block off gardening supplies, for example. Montana exempting homeless people from the 'stay at home' order as another).

Saying "We could have done better" is one thing, saying "Nobody ever bothered to tell us why" is different.

Early on, federal, state, and local authorities set out procedures for what could be open at what point. Higher necessity and lower risk things for obvious reasons would open first (or never get shut down). High risk, low necessity things would take longer, and need to meet more stringent standards.

And different communities are going to have different standards for risking the safety of their citizens. The Belgrade School Board looked at the same set of data as the Bozeman School Board and decided that having students in school every day was an acceptable risk. The Bozeman School Board took a much more conservative approach and weighed the risk differently. Both boards were very transparent in their reasoning and explanations.

You don't have to agree with Bozeman's decision...plenty of people are unhappy with it. But its not as if they didn't give very crystal clear explanations as to why they made the decisions.

So, I guess we agree that "Things could be done better". We just don't agree that every single step has been taken without reasonable explanation to the public.
Totally agree with all of this. Thank you. My whole point was just suggesting that I don’t agree with everything and I always have questions. Appreciate the post.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:22 am
I do care about answers. Ave while I appreciate the response, there are many inaccuracies.

For instance, right here in our valley kids ARE going to school full time.

Just because no one has SAID they deem dorms safe, the fact that dorms are open is proof itself. If they were deemed as dangerous as say, a bar past midnight, they wouldn’t be allowed to open.

In regards to baseball, I guess it depends on your definition of success. They’re still playing ball. They’ve had many cases and dealt with them. No hospitalizations, no deaths. Just postponing games and getting on with it. Other businesses do the same thing every day.

As an owner of several bars and liquor stores, I can say with 100% certainty they’re packed at all hours of the day. Watering holes that serve breakfast will be packed first thing in the morning. Since the pandemic started our liquor stores have set sales records and as soon as bars were deemed safe enough to open (again no one came out and SAID this, but by allowing them to open they suggested it’s safer than in was in April) people came in droves. I don’t know where you live but I can give you a list of about 20 bars that I know personally are as busy or busier at 9am than they are at 9pm.

In regards to testing, it’s more the results of the test than anything. We were I’ll prepared to test, and when results could take up to 10 days; it warranted the tests meaningless.

I didn’t say the wedding and funeral thing went on for a long time. I didn’t put a timetable on it. But there were thousands of people who lost a loved one and weren’t “allowed” a funeral. That sucks in and of itself but then to see rallies and protests had to have been a kick in the gut to those people robbed of celebrating loved ones.

Big box stores most certainly took steps in keeping people safe. And that’s super. It still doesn’t change the fact that the government was allowed to pick and choose what businesses could stay open and which had to close. And unless someone can give me a valid reason why Costco is safer than a downtown gift store forced to close, that was a huge overreach in my eyes. And again, I don’t recall anyone having a press conference SAYING Costco was safer, but allowing them to stay open 7 days a week while forcing local businesses to close suggests it must be safer. Or what’s the point?

Finally, of course we know more now than we did 6 months ago. But that doesn’t mean that every single phase and precaution we’ve endured is right. Or always makes sense. That is nothing more than a free pass. Think about that. Any person could make any decision and no matter what the consequences of that decision could be, they can always just fall back on it’s just what we knew at the time. No more blaming the president for anything! There’s no wrong decisions! Trump has done everything perfectly this whole pandemic. Just making excellent decisions based only on current knowledge. We’d be wrong to question anything ever. I’m sorry I just can’t buy that.
Are you.. are you mocking a strategy of making decisions based on the information presented to you at the time?
:lol:
Hey. If that’s what you took from that..who am I to argue?!



BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am

I officiated West High's scrimmage last night and it was pretty ridiculous to see the parents having to sit outside the stadium to watch their kids. I'm not sure if SD2/Yellowstone County thought parents just wouldn't show up if they weren't allowed in the stadium but they did! And guess what? They were all responsible enough to socially distance. There is absolutely no reason parents shouldn't be allowed in the stadium to watch their kids as long as they can be responsible. Especially a stadium with the seating capacity if Daylis.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am
I officiated West High's scrimmage last night and it was pretty ridiculous to see the parents having to sit outside the stadium to watch their kids. I'm not sure if SD2/Yellowstone County thought parents just wouldn't show up if they weren't allowed in the stadium but they did! And guess what? They were all responsible enough to socially distance. There is absolutely no reason parents shouldn't be allowed in the stadium to watch their kids as long as they can be responsible. Especially a stadium with the seating capacity if Daylis.
There is no way this can be true. Everything we have been made to do makes 100% perfect sense. Really no reason to even question it. It would be FAR too dangerous to allow anyone in a football stadium. Parents wanting to do so are just being selfish and not thinking about the well being of others. I’m shocked their even playing football. :-^



autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by autocat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Cancel all sporting events immediately, the virus it mutating [-X

Flu season is around the corner as well and I’m sure nobody will mistake the two [-(

Is a mandate a law or just a suggestion #-o



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:39 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am
I officiated West High's scrimmage last night and it was pretty ridiculous to see the parents having to sit outside the stadium to watch their kids. I'm not sure if SD2/Yellowstone County thought parents just wouldn't show up if they weren't allowed in the stadium but they did! And guess what? They were all responsible enough to socially distance. There is absolutely no reason parents shouldn't be allowed in the stadium to watch their kids as long as they can be responsible. Especially a stadium with the seating capacity if Daylis.
There is no way this can be true. Everything we have been made to do makes 100% perfect sense. Really no reason to even question it. It would be FAR too dangerous to allow anyone in a football stadium. Parents wanting to do so are just being selfish and not thinking about the well being of others. I’m shocked their even playing football. :-^
I was in Billings this weekend. I'd classify the state of affairs there as "ignoring the masking directive". Between Yellowstone, Rosebud, and Big Horn, they have something like 50% of new cases in Montana, a really high positivity rate, and according to the hospitals, beds are filling up beyond normal comfort level.

I'd respectfully suggest that if the good folks of Yellowstone County were serious about attending football games, they'd be far better served trying to contain their current outbreak than complaining about suffering the consequences of ignoring the public health directives. Its sort of like trying to teach a 5 year old about logical consequences.

If Billings met basic guidelines to have 200 +/- people in the stands (i.e. positive test rate below 5%, 2 weeks of declining cases, daily new cases <5 per 100k, and ICU bed usage at <50%) then we would all agree that parents should watch their kids.

But, dang, people. You made your bed...



BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:56 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:39 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am
I officiated West High's scrimmage last night and it was pretty ridiculous to see the parents having to sit outside the stadium to watch their kids. I'm not sure if SD2/Yellowstone County thought parents just wouldn't show up if they weren't allowed in the stadium but they did! And guess what? They were all responsible enough to socially distance. There is absolutely no reason parents shouldn't be allowed in the stadium to watch their kids as long as they can be responsible. Especially a stadium with the seating capacity if Daylis.
There is no way this can be true. Everything we have been made to do makes 100% perfect sense. Really no reason to even question it. It would be FAR too dangerous to allow anyone in a football stadium. Parents wanting to do so are just being selfish and not thinking about the well being of others. I’m shocked their even playing football. :-^
I was in Billings this weekend. I'd classify the state of affairs there as "ignoring the masking directive". Between Yellowstone, Rosebud, and Big Horn, they have something like 50% of new cases in Montana, a really high positivity rate, and according to the hospitals, beds are filling up beyond normal comfort level.

I'd respectfully suggest that if the good folks of Yellowstone County were serious about attending football games, they'd be far better served trying to contain their current outbreak than complaining about suffering the consequences of ignoring the public health directives. Its sort of like trying to teach a 5 year old about logical consequences.

If Billings met basic guidelines to have 200 +/- people in the stands (i.e. positive test rate below 5%, 2 weeks of declining cases, daily new cases <5 per 100k, and ICU bed usage at <50%) then we would all agree that parents should watch their kids.

But, dang, people. You made your bed...
Were you at the scrimmages? Did you see each family sitting 6+ feet apart and wearing masks? Daylis holds a couple thousand and the parents can EASILY distance. You can talk all you want about Yellowstone County having issues (although I've not see any maskless people when I go to the store), but maybe the folks in charge of the no fans order should have attended the scrimmages this week, and the Lockwood game Friday, and seen that the parents of the players are responsible enough to follow directions in order to watch their kid/s.



User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5992
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: MSU response

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:56 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:39 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am
I officiated West High's scrimmage last night and it was pretty ridiculous to see the parents having to sit outside the stadium to watch their kids. I'm not sure if SD2/Yellowstone County thought parents just wouldn't show up if they weren't allowed in the stadium but they did! And guess what? They were all responsible enough to socially distance. There is absolutely no reason parents shouldn't be allowed in the stadium to watch their kids as long as they can be responsible. Especially a stadium with the seating capacity if Daylis.
There is no way this can be true. Everything we have been made to do makes 100% perfect sense. Really no reason to even question it. It would be FAR too dangerous to allow anyone in a football stadium. Parents wanting to do so are just being selfish and not thinking about the well being of others. I’m shocked their even playing football. :-^
I was in Billings this weekend. I'd classify the state of affairs there as "ignoring the masking directive". Between Yellowstone, Rosebud, and Big Horn, they have something like 50% of new cases in Montana, a really high positivity rate, and according to the hospitals, beds are filling up beyond normal comfort level.

I'd respectfully suggest that if the good folks of Yellowstone County were serious about attending football games, they'd be far better served trying to contain their current outbreak than complaining about suffering the consequences of ignoring the public health directives. Its sort of like trying to teach a 5 year old about logical consequences.

If Billings met basic guidelines to have 200 +/- people in the stands (i.e. positive test rate below 5%, 2 weeks of declining cases, daily new cases <5 per 100k, and ICU bed usage at <50%) then we would all agree that parents should watch their kids.

But, dang, people. You made your bed...
Were you at the scrimmages? Did you see each family sitting 6+ feet apart and wearing masks? Daylis holds a couple thousand and the parents can EASILY distance. You can talk all you want about Yellowstone County having issues (although I've not see any maskless people when I go to the store), but maybe the folks in charge of the no fans order should have attended the scrimmages this week, and the Lockwood game Friday, and seen that the parents of the players are responsible enough to follow directions in order to watch their kid/s.
Agreed, dunno what part of Billings you were in or what you are doing, ever since the mask mandate came out, I rarely see folks out and about without them on.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: MSU response

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:54 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:56 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:39 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am
I officiated West High's scrimmage last night and it was pretty ridiculous to see the parents having to sit outside the stadium to watch their kids. I'm not sure if SD2/Yellowstone County thought parents just wouldn't show up if they weren't allowed in the stadium but they did! And guess what? They were all responsible enough to socially distance. There is absolutely no reason parents shouldn't be allowed in the stadium to watch their kids as long as they can be responsible. Especially a stadium with the seating capacity if Daylis.
There is no way this can be true. Everything we have been made to do makes 100% perfect sense. Really no reason to even question it. It would be FAR too dangerous to allow anyone in a football stadium. Parents wanting to do so are just being selfish and not thinking about the well being of others. I’m shocked their even playing football. :-^
I was in Billings this weekend. I'd classify the state of affairs there as "ignoring the masking directive". Between Yellowstone, Rosebud, and Big Horn, they have something like 50% of new cases in Montana, a really high positivity rate, and according to the hospitals, beds are filling up beyond normal comfort level.

I'd respectfully suggest that if the good folks of Yellowstone County were serious about attending football games, they'd be far better served trying to contain their current outbreak than complaining about suffering the consequences of ignoring the public health directives. Its sort of like trying to teach a 5 year old about logical consequences.

If Billings met basic guidelines to have 200 +/- people in the stands (i.e. positive test rate below 5%, 2 weeks of declining cases, daily new cases <5 per 100k, and ICU bed usage at <50%) then we would all agree that parents should watch their kids.

But, dang, people. You made your bed...
Were you at the scrimmages? Did you see each family sitting 6+ feet apart and wearing masks? Daylis holds a couple thousand and the parents can EASILY distance. You can talk all you want about Yellowstone County having issues (although I've not see any maskless people when I go to the store), but maybe the folks in charge of the no fans order should have attended the scrimmages this week, and the Lockwood game Friday, and seen that the parents of the players are responsible enough to follow directions in order to watch their kid/s.
Agreed, dunno what part of Billings you were in or what you are doing, ever since the mask mandate came out, I rarely see folks out and about without them on.
Rimrock Mall & Scheels. At the mall, probably half or 60% of people were meeting the mandate, and another 20% were wearing their masks like a beard net. Another 30% not wearing at all. It was way worse at Schools.

We have family that are in high risk categories, so we tend to be cautious about being out in places where people are actively flouting the mandates.

Maybe as soon as you cross 24th Street, things get better.

But its doesn't take a STEM graduate to understand why Billings is struggling with objectively bad numbers and most of the rest of the state is shutting this thing down.

If Yellowstone lifted the ban on spectators, I'm not sure I'd let my kid go there for an athletic competition. Its a long way from Sturgis bad, but its a long way from good.



Post Reply