Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by RickRund » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm
btribby wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:01 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:23 am
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:32 pm
As far as the actual building goes, does anyone know if the whole building is a part of this $18 million phase 1?

The renderings kind of look like two similar sized buildings connected by some windows. I could have sworn that when this plan first came out two years ago that it was mentioned that the second building closest to Kagy was a future expansion. But I haven’t been able to find anything about that again.

Edit: I think I answered my own question. According to this picture, the total structure in the end zone will be two separate phases.

Image
This seems to indicate that it is both buildings and the End Zone - maybe? (sort of confusing): https://msubobcats.com/documents/2017/9 ... df?id=2687
The page labeled "Phase One" on the Facilities Plan website makes it pretty clear to me that the first construction will only be the part of the structure highlighted in blue on the image you posted, as well as the renovation of the existing football offices in the Fieldhouse into the new academic center. The North End Zone seating is listed on the website as Phase 2 of the Bobcat Stadium renovation, after Phase 1 which is the replacement of the east sideline structure. I believe the pictured extension of the Athletic Complex that's closer to Kagy is probably in reference to the "future additions could include..." section of the facilities plan.

https://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20 ... spx?id=352
Makes sense, but based on the labeling of the drawings I saw the two buildings were listed as 1 structure. But 18 mill seemed a little light on the cost so that makes sense to me.
I also believe its just the building that is highlighted in blue. Some of the drawings that MSU has posted of the inside of the building are really impressive.

I dont see the 320 people donating as a big issue. Im really really impressed that MSU was able to raise that kind of money that quickly. Especially after the big education fundraiser the raised something like 300 mil. The article stated that there would be a big push to get the additional 1.5 mil needed. My mind immediately jumped to the small donation drive that was used to complete the south endzone. The biggest thing I remember was you could text some number and automatically donate $10 (I cant tell you how many cell phones of griz fans I stole at cat/griz that year while they were drunk and texted that number). I believe that was a huge money maker for that final push. Im assuming we will see something similar for this. Probably announced at Gold Rush. Hopefully meet the goal sometime mid season with construction starting just before Christmas after our semifinal win.

Does anybody know how this will make the stadium look? The more I thought about it I think the videoboard will be left exactly where its at right now. That leads to another question; do the two buildings (one is our game day lockeroom) stay in place until the seating in the north endzone is completed? My thoughts are that the new BAC building would sit back enough where those two existing buildings wouldnt necessarily have to be torn down right away. Thoughts???
One additional benefit from the NEZ being enclosed....it will be louder!
It will be great if the noise shed increases 10 fold.....



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm
We are requesting up to $18,000,000 in authority, to include design and other non-construction costs.
Up to $3,000,000 will be financed by the University, which will be repaid with non-state revenues
generated by MSU Athletics. The remainder of the project, approximately $15,000,000, will be
funded from external gifts (donations) to this project.
https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2019/Jul ... -R0719.pdf
Thank you for info. So does that mean about 13.5M has been raised thus far from donors and then they need another 1.5M from public to get to 15M and then will finance 3M for a total of 18M. That’s how that seemed to read but must admit it’s confusing. Earlier reports made it sound like 16.5 have been raised already but this seems to negate that.
MSU is financing up to $3 million depending on what other donations come in. I’m not sure how much has been privately raised, but it’s north of $13.5 million (13.8?) and they’re requiring $1.5 million more. So they’d already be under the $3 million ($2.7?) in financing.

By comparison, UM went to the BOR with $9 million ($7 million of which came from a single donor) and asked for up to $5 million in financing.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/regen ... 97ea1.html

Since financing is paid off by revenues from games it’s still considered private.
And they had to use all $5 million in financing.



lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by lutecat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:34 am

Caturday wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:31 pm
Don’t forget that your donation can be pledged and paid over 5 years! 3000 people pledging $100/yr for 5 years and we’re there.
Well if that's the case $1500 over 5 years is only $21 per month. Do they bill you monthly or quarterly or what?



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13424
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:32 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm
We are requesting up to $18,000,000 in authority, to include design and other non-construction costs.
Up to $3,000,000 will be financed by the University, which will be repaid with non-state revenues
generated by MSU Athletics. The remainder of the project, approximately $15,000,000, will be
funded from external gifts (donations) to this project.
https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2019/Jul ... -R0719.pdf
Thank you for info. So does that mean about 13.5M has been raised thus far from donors and then they need another 1.5M from public to get to 15M and then will finance 3M for a total of 18M. That’s how that seemed to read but must admit it’s confusing. Earlier reports made it sound like 16.5 have been raised already but this seems to negate that.
MSU is financing up to $3 million depending on what other donations come in. I’m not sure how much has been privately raised, but it’s north of $13.5 million (13.8?) and they’re requiring $1.5 million more. So they’d already be under the $3 million ($2.7?) in financing.

By comparison, UM went to the BOR with $9 million ($7 million of which came from a single donor) and asked for up to $5 million in financing.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/regen ... 97ea1.html

Since financing is paid off by revenues from games it’s still considered private.
And they had to use all $5 million in financing.
The article quotes that $500K of the financing had been raised. I’m sure UM and MSU went into its fundraising knowing that it could finance at least that much. I think the main thing is how much is funded by the alumni/fans. Other than the last MSU project and this one by UM I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but this current project definitely stands out compared to those two. There were a lot of naysayers during the process that either didn’t think MSU fans were capable or didn’t have a good understanding of the process. This just shows what an outstanding job the fundraisers and donors did. It’s something to be proud of in recent, relative terms. At the end of the day MSU donors will have put up at least $15.3 (probably closer to $17) million up front. I know of no other athletics project in the MUS that raised that much.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
Catfanatic84
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:32 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm
We are requesting up to $18,000,000 in authority, to include design and other non-construction costs.
Up to $3,000,000 will be financed by the University, which will be repaid with non-state revenues
generated by MSU Athletics. The remainder of the project, approximately $15,000,000, will be
funded from external gifts (donations) to this project.
https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2019/Jul ... -R0719.pdf
Thank you for info. So does that mean about 13.5M has been raised thus far from donors and then they need another 1.5M from public to get to 15M and then will finance 3M for a total of 18M. That’s how that seemed to read but must admit it’s confusing. Earlier reports made it sound like 16.5 have been raised already but this seems to negate that.
MSU is financing up to $3 million depending on what other donations come in. I’m not sure how much has been privately raised, but it’s north of $13.5 million (13.8?) and they’re requiring $1.5 million more. So they’d already be under the $3 million ($2.7?) in financing.

By comparison, UM went to the BOR with $9 million ($7 million of which came from a single donor) and asked for up to $5 million in financing.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/regen ... 97ea1.html

Since financing is paid off by revenues from games it’s still considered private.
And they had to use all $5 million in financing.
The article quotes that $500K of the financing had been raised. I’m sure UM and MSU went into its fundraising knowing that it could finance at least that much. I think the main thing is how much is funded by the alumni/fans. Other than the last MSU project and this one by UM I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but this current project definitely stands out compared to those two. There were a lot of naysayers during the process that either didn’t think MSU fans were capable or didn’t have a good understanding of the process. This just shows what an outstanding job the fundraisers and donors did. It’s something to be proud of in recent, relative terms.
Agreed....I am hopeful that once we close this $1.5m gap, the giving will continue, so we can get that indoor practice facility built.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:17 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:40 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:32 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm
We are requesting up to $18,000,000 in authority, to include design and other non-construction costs.
Up to $3,000,000 will be financed by the University, which will be repaid with non-state revenues
generated by MSU Athletics. The remainder of the project, approximately $15,000,000, will be
funded from external gifts (donations) to this project.
https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2019/Jul ... -R0719.pdf
Thank you for info. So does that mean about 13.5M has been raised thus far from donors and then they need another 1.5M from public to get to 15M and then will finance 3M for a total of 18M. That’s how that seemed to read but must admit it’s confusing. Earlier reports made it sound like 16.5 have been raised already but this seems to negate that.
MSU is financing up to $3 million depending on what other donations come in. I’m not sure how much has been privately raised, but it’s north of $13.5 million (13.8?) and they’re requiring $1.5 million more. So they’d already be under the $3 million ($2.7?) in financing.

By comparison, UM went to the BOR with $9 million ($7 million of which came from a single donor) and asked for up to $5 million in financing.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/regen ... 97ea1.html

Since financing is paid off by revenues from games it’s still considered private.
And they had to use all $5 million in financing.
The article quotes that $500K of the financing had been raised. I’m sure UM and MSU went into its fundraising knowing that it could finance at least that much. I think the main thing is how much is funded by the alumni/fans. Other than the last MSU project and this one by UM I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but this current project definitely stands out compared to those two. There were a lot of naysayers during the process that either didn’t think MSU fans were capable or didn’t have a good understanding of the process. This just shows what an outstanding job the fundraisers and donors did. It’s something to be proud of in recent, relative terms.
Agreed....I am hopeful that once we close this $1.5m gap, the giving will continue, so we can get that indoor practice facility built.
I think I’m just going to enjoy this for awhile.

I’d be interested in knowing if this a record amount of private donated money for a sports facility in Montana.



Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Caturday » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:14 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:34 am
Caturday wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:31 pm
Don’t forget that your donation can be pledged and paid over 5 years! 3000 people pledging $100/yr for 5 years and we’re there.
Well if that's the case $1500 over 5 years is only $21 per month. Do they bill you monthly or quarterly or what?
I’m paying my pledge with annual payments. Monthly or quarterly payments could be an option. They probably could set up a monthly charge on your credit card if that worked best for you.

It’d be awesome to see the number of contributors jump from 343 to 4000 over the next month or two.



User avatar
Catfanatic84
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm

Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:38 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
Well homecoming announcement it is.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4093
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by gtapp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13424
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am

gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?
Lots. I had my house built starting in January of 2018, which was the snowiest winter in Helena history, and it got done faster than the first house, which started in April 2006. Same contractor. Not a big factor. There’s always a few days when it’s just unbearable to go outside, but nothing that’s going to cause a huge, several weeks, delay.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4093
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by gtapp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?
Lots. I had my house built starting in January of 2018, which was the snowiest winter in Helena history, and it got done faster than the first house, which started in April 2006. Same contractor. Not a big factor. There’s always a few days when it’s just unbearable to go outside, but nothing that’s going to cause a huge, several weeks, delay.
Do concrete footings have to be done before a certain period?


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13424
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:42 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?
Lots. I had my house built starting in January of 2018, which was the snowiest winter in Helena history, and it got done faster than the first house, which started in April 2006. Same contractor. Not a big factor. There’s always a few days when it’s just unbearable to go outside, but nothing that’s going to cause a huge, several weeks, delay.
Do concrete footings have to be done before a certain period?
No. It can’t be too cold, but they can cover it and run heat tubes over it. It’s trickier, but very doable.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by RickRund » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:42 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?
Lots. I had my house built starting in January of 2018, which was the snowiest winter in Helena history, and it got done faster than the first house, which started in April 2006. Same contractor. Not a big factor. There’s always a few days when it’s just unbearable to go outside, but nothing that’s going to cause a huge, several weeks, delay.
Do concrete footings have to be done before a certain period?
No. It can’t be too cold, but they can cover it and run heat tubes over it. It’s trickier, but very doable.


Been away from that stuff for a while but they also can add an activator to the mix so it can set up quicker. With that though there is a possibility to have the mix slough if my memory serves me correctly.

JUST HURRY AND GET IT DONE!!!!! :D



User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3638
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:47 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:53 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:42 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?
Lots. I had my house built starting in January of 2018, which was the snowiest winter in Helena history, and it got done faster than the first house, which started in April 2006. Same contractor. Not a big factor. There’s always a few days when it’s just unbearable to go outside, but nothing that’s going to cause a huge, several weeks, delay.
Do concrete footings have to be done before a certain period?
No. It can’t be too cold, but they can cover it and run heat tubes over it. It’s trickier, but very doable.


Been away from that stuff for a while but they also can add an activator to the mix so it can set up quicker. With that though there is a possibility to have the mix slough if my memory serves me correctly.

JUST HURRY AND GET IT DONE!!!!! :D
The faster your concrete cures the weaker it is, don't need anymore roof failures.



St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 am

Hopefully the architectural and engineering for this phase have been completed so they can hit the ground running. Fast track design can be utilized but a little more risk involved. Contractor and labor availability can also delay things.



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm

---The faster your concrete cures the weaker it is, don't
---need anymore roof failures.

Hope they don't make it a concrete roof unless they open a patio bar up there.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm
---The faster your concrete cures the weaker it is, don't
---need anymore roof failures.

Hope they don't make it a concrete roof unless they open a patio bar up there.
If they have any sight into the future they will design the structure and infrastructure so the future levels could be added down the road.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:41 pm

St George wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 am
Hopefully the architectural and engineering for this phase have been completed so they can hit the ground running. Fast track design can be utilized but a little more risk involved. Contractor and labor availability can also delay things.
You can’t do a/e until you get spending authority, which will be granted at the next BOR meeting.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:43 pm

St George wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:37 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm
---The faster your concrete cures the weaker it is, don't
---need anymore roof failures.

Hope they don't make it a concrete roof unless they open a patio bar up there.
If they have any sight into the future they will design the structure and infrastructure so the future levels could be added down the road.
They shouldn’t need to add levels. They do have plans way down the road to construct an adjacent building. They also have a plan to add seating in the end zone abutting the facility.



Post Reply