MSU @ EW Takeaways

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MSU @ EW Takeaways

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:34 am
PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:25 am
Also, if it takes 5 minutes to review a play just go with the call on the field. It happened twice yesterday and the calls stood.

Way too long replays for calls that were upheld. Should be a 1 minute maximum limit and an obvious missed call by the refs. Otherwise, stop the Zapruder film nonsense.
The fumble review was ridiculous, I took one look at the replay on the scoreboard and could tell there would never be enough to overturn the call made on the field.

I'm ok with the second review, that was an incredibly close play at a crucial moment in the game. Again, I think that one came down to not enough evidence to overturn as the ball was bobbled just a tiny bit and I haven't seen a replay showing the WR with clear possession after hitting the ground. That was an extremely strange review too in that the MSU defense and EWU offense both went back on the field at the same time, almost as though the replay officials originally decided to overturn but then changed their minds.

MSU was quite fortunate to get both of those calls, the EWU forum is NOT happy as one might expect.
This one wasn't even close. Shouldn't even have been reviewed. In order to be a catch the receiver needs to maintain control through contact with the ground.

This was so crystal clear its absurd. I'm kinda miffed that it wasn't declared "Confirmed".

Heres the NCAA rule.

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch."

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:45 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 am
MSU01 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Also, if it takes 5 minutes to review a play just go with the call on the field. It happened twice yesterday and the calls stood.

Way too long replays for calls that were upheld. Should be a 1 minute maximum limit and an obvious missed call by the refs. Otherwise, stop the Zapruder film nonsense.
The fumble review was ridiculous, I took one look at the replay on the scoreboard and could tell there would never be enough to overturn the call made on the field.

I'm ok with the second review, that was an incredibly close play at a crucial moment in the game. Again, I think that one came down to not enough evidence to overturn as the ball was bobbled just a tiny bit and I haven't seen a replay showing the WR with clear possession after hitting the ground. That was an extremely strange review too in that the MSU defense and EWU offense both went back on the field at the same time, almost as though the replay officials originally decided to overturn but then changed their minds.

MSU was quite fortunate to get both of those calls, the EWU forum is NOT happy as one might expect.
This one wasn't even close. Shouldn't even have been reviewed. In order to be a catch the receiver needs to maintain control through contact with the ground.

This was so crystal clear its absurd. I'm kinda miffed that it wasn't declared "Confirmed".

Heres the NCAA rule.

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch."
Thanks. The only question could/should have been did the ball contact the ground. If yes, pass is incomplete and it's a turnover on downs. If no, it's an interception.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:05 am

rivercat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:45 am
onceacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Heres the NCAA rule.

Thanks. The only question could/should have been did the ball contact the ground. If yes, pass is incomplete and it's a turnover on downs. If no, it's an interception.
Yeah. I thought that too at first. But since the only effect on the decision is a meaningless INT stat for Danny U, maybe just let the game play out & change the call later?

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:08 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:05 am
rivercat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:45 am
onceacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Heres the NCAA rule.

Yeah. I thought that too at first. But since the only effect on the decision is a meaningless INT stat for Danny U, maybe just let the game play out & change the call later?
Agreed, but field position differed significantly based on the call.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am

Another

355 yards on the ground with QB2 and RB5(?) is absolutely crushing it for the offensive line.

Chambers is pretty much unstoppable and Elliott is shifty so that read option game is going to be difficult for opposing defenses even if the passing game is basic.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:54 am

My biggest take away from the game was that 6+ years ago, this was the type of game the Cats would always find a way to lose, while the griz always had that 1 big play to win.

It’s so nice to see Bobcat teams who can find a way to win the big games, even if it is ugly! That was a great win.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:11 am

bcatfan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:54 am
My biggest take away from the game was that 6+ years ago, this was the type of game the Cats would always find a way to lose, while the griz always had that 1 big play to win.

It’s so nice to see Bobcat teams who can find a way to win the big games, even if it is ugly! That was a great win.
I had this exact same thought. I think thats a giant part of the culture shift that took place in the program...this team EXPECTS to win without feeling entitled.

To me thats a championship mentality.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 am

This isn't really news but it was on full display yesterday. If Sean Chambers gets a stiff arm on you, there's a good chance you're getting pushed down to the ground on your ass.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:32 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 am
This isn't really news but it was on full display yesterday. If Sean Chambers gets a stiff arm on you, there's a good chance you're getting pushed down to the ground on your ass.
The best is when he does it to guys that are going low and their face goes straight into the turf.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:29 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:32 am
This team is full of resilient young men. We’re 1-0 in the BSC and won back to back years in Cheney for the first time in 30+ years.

We beat a good ranked team after making some mistakes.

Defense made good adjustments after the first and the offense stepped up without Tommy. We are also missing two starters on defense, QB1, and 4 running backs.

Picture the 2019 and previous teams looking at us sideways that we won in Cheney twice and are upset. We are a pouty fan base.

Say what you want. This team fights! I like them. Vigen’s teams get better as the year goes on!
The team is young and will get better each week but ya definitely some growing pains early on. Glad to see Elliott showcase his talents yesterday. Definitely missing Ortt and Manning yesterday was evident even on some of the long pass attempts that EWU just missed, but I give Pottenger credit for keeping in it and was right there to help break up the pass leading to the interception. MSU still needs to expand on their passing game it’s still and has been for a long time very basic. We have to air it out more until we get some of our RBs back. At some point we need to live with Mellott’s arm and not so much his legs, stop with the designed runs with him, the reads are fine but he’s been seriously injured twice in his short two seasons, and he’s not going to last his career here at that rate. Big win for sure no matter how ugly it might have seen but a road win is still and always big in this conference, just wish UCD would’ve pulled it off last night, which would’ve put them into the top 25 somewhere and giving us another shot at beating a ranked team this year. Regardless of their record last night showed this team is going to be another good test for us, can’t wait.
I think Tommy's injury in Frisco was on a pass play, could be wrong. Running is part of his game, so he needs to run the rock once in awhile, but I get your point that it really needs to be limited. I'd be fine with five times a game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm

onceacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Heres the NCAA rule.

It was either an incomplete pass or an INT depending on if it hit the ground. It was never a catch. He never had control and that’s really the only thing you could see from the replays. You could not tell if it hit the ground. A incomplete pass was actually better for the Cats but give Danny U the INT.

Still as I was watching it I kept think how are the Cats going to get get screwed here.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:00 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Heres the NCAA rule.

It was either an incomplete pass or an INT depending on if it hit the ground. It was never a catch. He never had control and that’s really the only thing you could see from the replays. You could not tell if it hit the ground. A incomplete pass was actually better for the Cats but give Danny U the INT.

Still as I was watching it I kept think how are the Cats going to get get screwed here.
The stupid red turf and red uniforms and reddish ball made it pretty tough to tell. EWU fans whining can put the blame on their turf color.

catsandcanes
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsandcanes » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Sorry for not knowing but what is Ortt 5 game suspension for? Thank you

catscat

Post by catscat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:20 pm

bcatfan1 wrote:

Difference between now and 6+ years ago is that the last two coaches have been willing to get more players on the field giving them experience and minimizing injury to the ones. Too often things broke down with a "gassed" defense that had been on the field the whole game. Just think about how much time Jody Owens was on the field while some kid (his backup) named Alex Singleton rode the pine.

In my opinion, the problems with this year's defense are probably scheme or play calling. To illustrate why I think that, Ty Gregorak couldn't get the Cats off of the field on third down. Kane takes over and all of a sudden the Cats are making 3rd down stops instead of giving up 12 yards or 19 yards on 3rd and long.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catscat

Post by catscat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:21 pm

bcatfan1 wrote:

Difference between now and 6+ years ago is that the last two coaches have been willing to get more players on the field giving them experience and minimizing injury to the ones. Too often things broke down with a "gassed" defense that had been on the field the whole game. Just think about how much time Jody Owens was on the field while some kid (his backup) named Alex Singleton rode the pine.

In my opinion, the problems with this year's defense are probably scheme or play calling. To illustrate why I think that, Ty Gregorak couldn't get the Cats off of the field on third down. Kane takes over and all of a sudden the Cats are making 3rd down stops instead of giving up 12 yards or 19 yards on 3rd and long.

catscat

Post by catscat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Guess I thought I was so erudite that I said it twice. Sorry.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:25 pm

Attendance 7200. I think MSU outnumbered ewu

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:28 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 am
#4 was on the business end of that stiff arm a couple of times. Poor kid had no chance.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:30 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:39 pm
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:31 pm
Our defensive secondary is young and it will continue to be exploited by decent passing teams.
The safeties currently playing are young and ineffective. But once Manny and Ortt are back, they won’t be.
Did Manning get hurt in a game or in practice? Oregon State?
Can Ty Okada play safety? Tyrell could play nickel?

catscat

Post by catscat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:44 pm

Believe Manning was a non- game injury. Yes, Ty can play Safety. Tyrell was slated to be the starting nickel back before his injury last year. (Okada was a safety until Thomas got hurt when he became the nickel back). Believe at one time Tyrell played corner.