Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
bobcat99
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:53 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m only talking about it because it was brought up. I’m over it because everybody involved is gone, but the move can’t be defended. It was bad.
Bad, depends on your POV. While I agree, it looked bad backing out against a top 5 opponent, I believe the game we replaced it with netted the athletic department significantly more than the buyout. I have no idea of the actual reason for getting out of it but sometimes you have to play the $ game.
At the time MSU wanted to be a big boy program.

Well, lemme tell you, a big boy program doesn’t back out of a game against a top program. People can talk about the money and what not, but everybody that’s got a little objectivity in them knows what it was about. Fields and Ash knew they were gonna get their butts kicked and wanted to avoid it.



rivercat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by rivercat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:12 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:53 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m only talking about it because it was brought up. I’m over it because everybody involved is gone, but the move can’t be defended. It was bad.
Bad, depends on your POV. While I agree, it looked bad backing out against a top 5 opponent, I believe the game we replaced it with netted the athletic department significantly more than the buyout. I have no idea of the actual reason for getting out of it but sometimes you have to play the $ game.
At the time MSU wanted to be a big boy program.

Well, lemme tell you, a big boy program doesn’t back out of a game against a top program. People can talk about the money and what not, but everybody that’s got a little objectivity in them knows what it was about. Fields and Ash knew they were gonna get their butts kicked and wanted to avoid it.
You will argue about anything. Money, national tv, playing an FBS school in TX where Ash recruited to the great benefit of MSU had nothing to do with the decision? Right.


"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2523
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:32 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm
Vigen: "#1 goal is to beat the Griz. That didn't make it into Twitter or whatever last week but that's at the top."

:lol:
And I know there has been discussion about "winning a conference championship isn't as important" because of how seeding works...but I disagree. Winning the conference title with a great record could mean home-field which is where NDSU makes their money in the postseason. NDSU may not be as dominant over the years if they had to go on the road in a few of those playoffs. If we could get a semifinal game in Bobcat Stadium, our odds of winning that football game almost double in my opinion.
The Cats would still have to be ranked in the top 2 in the nation to be guaranteed home playoff games throughout the playoffs (still gotta win them all too) and number 1 to guarantee a home playoff game against NDSU. However, I'd love to see the Cats face NDSU at Bobcat Stadium again or on a neutral site, like Frisco.
A whole lot easier to fill an indoor stadium in December than the east side bleachers.
If we ever get to host a semi, we’ll fill it


"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

User avatar
BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3073
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m not defending Fields - never was much of a fan of his. I hated it for the program, regardless of everything else, it looked terrible for MSU. It made sense financially, and I understood the reason for it. Still didn’t like it though from a fan’s perspective.

I got why NDSU fans were upset at the time. If the roles were reversed, I would have been pissed. But they should have been pissed at their AD for negotiating a stupid contract, and for getting played by a guy like Fields. Still, they’ve now gotten to kick our asses twice in the playoffs at their little wussy dome, so the fact that so many of them are still butthurt about that game is ridiculous.


GO CATS GO!!!

Image

CodyCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Cody, WY

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by CodyCat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:15 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:09 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:53 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m only talking about it because it was brought up. I’m over it because everybody involved is gone, but the move can’t be defended. It was bad.
Bad, depends on your POV. While I agree, it looked bad backing out against a top 5 opponent, I believe the game we replaced it with netted the athletic department significantly more than the buyout. I have no idea of the actual reason for getting out of it but sometimes you have to play the $ game.
Yes. It was 100% because of a scheduling, monetary, logistics issue. It zero to do with fear about getting beat, or hurt, or anything like that if anyone is thinking that.
And karma caught up to us on the last drive (I think) when Denarius got hurt and never truly was himself again. Its done. Thank goodness.


Hating the griz since 02.

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m not defending Fields - never was much of a fan of his. I hated it for the program, regardless of everything else, it looked terrible for MSU. It made sense financially, and I understood the reason for it. Still didn’t like it though from a fan’s perspective.

I got why NDSU fans were upset at the time. If the roles were reversed, I would have been pissed. But they should have been pissed at their AD for negotiating a stupid contract, and for getting played by a guy like Fields. Still, they’ve now gotten to kick our asses twice in the playoffs at their little wussy dome, so the fact that so many of them are still butthurt about that game is ridiculous.
Well said. That's pretty much where I'm at with it too.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10422
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m not defending Fields - never was much of a fan of his. I hated it for the program, regardless of everything else, it looked terrible for MSU. It made sense financially, and I understood the reason for it. Still didn’t like it though from a fan’s perspective.

I got why NDSU fans were upset at the time. If the roles were reversed, I would have been pissed. But they should have been pissed at their AD for negotiating a stupid contract, and for getting played by a guy like Fields. Still, they’ve now gotten to kick our asses twice in the playoffs at their little wussy dome, so the fact that so many of them are still butthurt about that game is ridiculous.
This is the correct answer. We can be upset/disappointed as fans, but the decision had zero to do with being afraid to lose. Yes it did look bad but it was a business decision, plain and simple.

Your last line is the part that just gets me - it happened years ago but NDSU fans still are sensitive about it. The fact that they are the most dominate dynasty the FCS has ever seen makes it all the more astounding how absolutely petty and sensitive they are.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10422
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am



R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
coloradocat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Vigen's contract:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... hronsports
Anyone want to figure out what Vigen's total 2021 salary will be if he matches what Choate (and team) did in 2019?


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

User avatar
JDoub
Member # Retired
Posts: 2541
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Salt Lake City (SL,UT)

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by JDoub » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Vigen's contract:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... hronsports
quite a range

$210,437 to $575,437 (if I did my spreadsheet correctly)



BobcANON
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by BobcANON » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 pm

Can we add a "Not crapping the clock management bed" per game bonus?


"Ever feel like you're at a knife fight wielding a d*ill doe made out of American cheese?" - Griz Nation

Bocephus
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 am

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Bocephus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:30 pm

He can pretty easily hit $370k by just showing up for work. $400k should be pretty easy to hit for him.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2065
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:24 pm

I don't remember Choate having quite as generous of an incentive package as that. Not unreasonable to think he could double his salary, and I don't remember Choate's contract doing that.

Wasn't there some incentive for beating the griz in the past?


Image

The MICKSTER
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:27 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Vigen's contract:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... hronsports
I like that there are incentives for GPA, % of student athletes that graduate along with on-field success. Don't necessarily get why he should get $15k for playing an FBS opponent. I can see why he'd get $10k for beating an FBS opponent but just playing one...??? I wish all government paid workers were compensated on results. GO CATS!



User avatar
ND0479
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by ND0479 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm

I've got him going undefeated & winning the Natty in his first year, with a 100% graduation rate at 3.0+ GPA average, breaking attendance records, earning Big Sky & Nat'l Coach of the Year - earning him $605,437.00 PLUS a company Chrysler convertible Sebring, unlimited pool access at the country club, and season tickets to all local high school hoops games. And after all that success, he gets fired and makes another $250k!

Image



User avatar
Montanabob
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Montanabob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:45 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:27 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Vigen's contract:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... hronsports
I like that there are incentives for GPA, % of student athletes that graduate along with on-field success. Don't necessarily get why he should get $15k for playing an FBS opponent. I can see why he'd get $10k for beating an FBS opponent but just playing one...??? I wish all government paid workers were compensated on results. GO CATS!
They do get for results, just the bar for government employees is really low.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
Montanabob
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Montanabob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 pm

JDoub wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Vigen's contract:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... hronsports
quite a range

$210,437 to $575,437 (if I did my spreadsheet correctly)
Too bad the athletes don't get the acedemic bonuses and extra for taking real Majors.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:50 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm
I've got him going undefeated & winning the Natty in his first year, with a 100% graduation rate at 3.0+ GPA average, breaking attendance records, earning Big Sky & Nat'l Coach of the Year - earning him $605,437.00 PLUS a company Chrysler convertible Sebring, unlimited pool access at the country club, and season tickets to all local high school hoops games. And after all that success, he gets fired and makes another $250k!

Image



>Chrysler convertible Sebring<

Why do you hate him so much?


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

User avatar
bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 am

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by bobcatozzy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Kenneth yes Choate encentives were really close to that.


Rest In peace dad.

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10422
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm
I've got him going undefeated & winning the Natty in his first year, with a 100% graduation rate at 3.0+ GPA average, breaking attendance records, earning Big Sky & Nat'l Coach of the Year - earning him $605,437.00 PLUS a company Chrysler convertible Sebring, unlimited pool access at the country club, and season tickets to all local high school hoops games. And after all that success, he gets fired and makes another $250k!

Image
:lol:


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Post Reply