MSU response

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU response

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:33 pm

LCH wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:56 am
The simple steps I refer to are masks and social distancing. Which at this point is all we are being asked to do.
Yes, those are the simple steps.

The more difficult step is getting everyone to understand how it spreads and to keep yourself from getting it and spreading it. This is where vast percentages of our population in the United States are really struggling mightily. You can’t blame them considering all the false information they’re getting.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm

OK, I'm no debater and I don't like having a discussion on a keyboard vs face to face. I still maintain that at this point the things we're being asked to do aren't as intrusive as they were, in other words we're coming out the other side. I'm sorry your kids are having a hard time. Everything is relative, when I was graduating my classmates were being drafted and shipped off to Vietnam. We had double shifts at CMR, and and there were riots on campuses protesting the war. I remember being very apprehensive about going off to school. My point is kids are resilient and I'm sure that with a parent as engaged as you are yours will do fine. I'm also sorry that you had to shutter a business.

I would like to clarify that I never said ALL WE'VE EVER BEEN asked to do is wear a mask and social distance. I said AT THIS POINT that's what we're being asked to do, big difference.

If we can just hold down infections and hospitalizations for a few more months using common sense measures we should have a vaccine and hopefully we can look back on this at this time next year from Bobcat Stadium.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:23 am
LCH wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:56 am
The simple steps I refer to are masks and social distancing. Which at this point is all we are being asked to do.
Is that really all we're being asked to do?

I don't mean to be rude, but where the hell have you been?
It depends on where you are. Some places haven't been asked to do anything, like NoDak & SoDak, Iowa, Arkansas, Utah. One could take a few minutes & compare the economic impacts those places incurred vs their neighbors that didn't shut down. Then compare the marginal cost of the shutdown to the number of years of life saved vs other places.

From there, its pretty easy math to say "What was the cost of government mandates relative to the number of productive years of life saved".

I'm gonna throw out a little hint...governments that didn't order shutdown still took the same economic hit as everyone else. They mostly just have more dead bodies than their peers.

Lots of blame to go around to governments at all levels in this country. But they are having concerts in Wuhan (no cases for something like the last 2 months), fans are back in the stands in some European countries for "football", and some countries still only have a handful of cases (like New Zealand).

I'd suggest that maybe we look at data from the 'no response' group (the Dakotas & Sweden) vs the 'overreaction' group (China, maybe New York) and the 'kicked ass' group (Germany, New Zealand).

Theres been plenty of experimentation at this point. We know exactly what measures are going to get life back to normal (i.e. fans in the stands for fall football). Now its just a matter of generating enough will out of the general public (maybe good leadership would help?) to make that happen.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Haven't been around much due to job related impacts. Finally getting some down time and saw JMU hit the news. They are moving virtual after cases spiked on campus. I thought it was noteworthy given they were the runner up last year.

https://www.whsv.com/2020/09/01/jmu-ann ... es-online/

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Well Yellowstone County must not be in too bad of shape. Beginning this weekend each school district within Yellowstone County is managing their own spectator numbers. SD2 is allowing 4 guests per player at each game starting this weekend. That's for both home and away teams.