MBB Summer Scuttlebutt

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

MBB Summer Scuttlebutt

Post by mslacat » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20 am

I have a little Scuttlebutt on the men's team and what a few people saw of them wile they were on campus this summer. Normally the men's players return to campus in early June for the start of Bobcat basketball summer camps and then they stick around and take a class or two thru July. The camps were canceled this year so they did not show up on campus until July to take classes in the 2nd summer session. As expected Bishop and Belo are our best players, and both seem to be taking a leadership role on the team. Both look like all conference players. There is a lot of competition on the floor and they seem to be pushing each other to try to win starting spots and PT next year. This is especially true at the 4 and 5 where Kirby is being hard pressed and not just by our JC transfers but Fernandez is really making his presents (and versatility) know. When asked if anyone had been a big surprise I was told all have show flashes of being big time players for us, whom ever can pull together some consistency will be high on the depth chart. The biggest news, though has been the play of our two freshman, SG/SF/PF Tyler Patterson and PG/SG Kellen Tynes when asked by the coaches "there play has been impressive. The coaches are real happy with what they are seeing. Sprinkle has always been high on Patterson. When he signed Patterson, he was blunt about the fact he thought he was going to be a real good player for the Cat's. When he signed Tynes, Sprinkle hedged his comments a with statements like "he has a chance to be a real good player for the Bobcats". Tynes, who they did not get much opportunities to see play in person, I think is everything they "hoped" he be. They are both in the mix for significant playing time.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: MBB Summer Scuttlebutt

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:43 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20 am
I have a little Scuttlebutt on the men's team and what a few people saw of them wile they were on campus this summer. Normally the men's players return to campus in early June for the start of Bobcat basketball summer camps and then they stick around and take a class or two thru July. The camps were canceled this year so they did not show up on campus until July to take classes in the 2nd summer session. As expected Bishop and Belo are our best players, and both seem to be taking a leadership role on the team. Both look like all conference players. There is a lot of competition on the floor and they seem to be pushing each other to try to win starting spots and PT next year. This is especially true at the 4 and 5 where Kirby is being hard pressed and not just by our JC transfers but Fernandez is really making his presents (and versatility) know. When asked if anyone had been a big surprise I was told all have show flashes of being big time players for us, whom ever can pull together some consistency will be high on the depth chart. The biggest news, though has been the play of our two freshman, SG/SF/PF Tyler Patterson and PG/SG Kellen Tynes when asked by the coaches "there play has been impressive. The coaches are real happy with what they are seeing. Sprinkle has always been high on Patterson. When he signed Patterson, he was blunt about the fact he thought he was going to be a real good player for the Cat's. When he signed Tynes, Sprinkle hedged his comments a with statements like "he has a chance to be a real good player for the Bobcats". Tynes, who they did not get much opportunities to see play in person, I think is everything they "hoped" he be. They are both in the mix for significant playing time.
I sure hope we have a season as I am excited to see this team play. It sure seems like our overall talent level is higher than last year. Assuming Danny gets this group playing as hard as last year's team, we should definitely see some more wins.