MBB Final Stretch

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

MBB Final Stretch

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Not much chatter going on here, but isn't tonight's game vs Sac kind of a big deal? I don't know, admittedly don't follow hoops that closely. I assume there are considerations for braketing, etc... but I'm guessing everyone thinks it's a moot point since the Griz are 90% likely to win it all and get a decent seed in the tourney. I agree. Thoughts?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: MBB Final Stretch

Post by wapiti » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 pm

We still have a chance at a bye in the BSC tourney. Winning tonight would be good for gaining that bye.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Not much chatter going on here, but isn't tonight's game vs Sac kind of a big deal? I don't know, admittedly don't follow hoops that closely. I assume there are considerations for braketing, etc... but I'm guessing everyone thinks it's a moot point since the Griz are 90% likely to win it all and get a decent seed in the tourney. I agree. Thoughts?
A split this weekend seems like a must for MSU to keep its hopes alive for a Top 5 seed and first round tournament bye. They're currently tied with PSU for 5th, but PSU has a much easier schedule to end the season and holds the tiebreaker over MSU. I'd say the NAU game on Saturday is most important since they're 9-8 compared to MSU's 8-8.

While UM will likely be favored to win the tournament, 90% is way too high. EWU and UNC in particular both have very strong teams and are very capable of taking UM down on a neutral court.

CATS2000
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATS2000 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Is Frey close to 100% healthy? We need him down the stretch if we are going to get some wins...

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:40 pm

CATS2000 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 pm
Is Frey close to 100% healthy? We need him down the stretch if we are going to get some wins...
Just a guess here but I think that sprain was of the run-of-the-mill variety vs. high ankle, so he should be good to go by now.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 pm

NAU just upset UM, which is not good for MSU getting a top 5 seed in Boise. Tonight's game becomes even more important now!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 pm

They look horrible again tonight. Man, I just don’t know what happened to this team. They looked so promising at the beginning of the year.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Bobcat men's basketball crashing and burning at the end of the season again. It's like this program is stuck on some sort of groundhog day loop. Doesn't matter who the coach is, doesn't matter who the players are-same thing year after year.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 pm

We get into a mode where the simplest things seem impossible. Paulo forgets how to dribble, we leave one guy wide open on every play and can't hit a free throw to save our life. I think we have up easy offensive rebounds for putbacks on 4 straight possessions...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:46 pm

I also don't think I've ever seen a team give up so many wide open shots after letting the other team dribble it down to 8 seconds on the play clock.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 pm

MSU's women scored more points tonight than the men have in their last two games combined. Oof.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Yeah, I think they may have called it a season. Just sad to watch.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 pm

I didn’t get to watch the game, but I just glanced at the box score. 22 turnovers? Wow. That is 22 possessions that you don’t even get to take a shot.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:47 am

He took Frey out early and played some freshmen. Crowd was yelling for Frey sarcastically. Team was stumbling around like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off....Frey!

2024 Resume dominance

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:56 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 pm
They look horrible again tonight. Man, I just don’t know what happened to this team. They looked so promising at the beginning of the year.

Agree... man, to start the year they actually looked really good, like they could be one of the favorites to win the league.... what the hell happened?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 am

It didn't take long for opposing coaches to understand and exploit our weaknesses. Poor outside shooting means they can pack the middle and stop our inside game. It won't get much better until we get some outside firepower.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am

I will attend the remaining games, but I'm sorry, all of my joy and enthusiasm is with the women. The two programs are going in opposite directions as the season draws to a close. The women are playing like a scary, fine-tuned machine.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am

Danny has his work cut out for him for sure but we knew that coming in. This team has a LONG ways to go to be competitive.

One positive I take away is on the defensive end. While not always perfect, the effort almost always seems to be there on that side of the ball. Often times they are in the right spots, though a bit behind getting there. Coaches love that.

Offensively, I have no words. Many times I can't even tell what kind of sets they're attempting to get in. It's stagnant and that's being polite! But this is going to be a process so I won't judge too much this early in the game.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 am
It didn't take long for opposing coaches to understand and exploit our weaknesses. Poor outside shooting means they can pack the middle and stop our inside game. It won't get much better until we get some outside firepower.
You know I hear this brought up all the time to explain our late season swoons. Are our coaches so far behind everyone else that we can't identify and exploit anyone else's weaknesses? Is our team really just that devoid of true D1 players that we can only win by surprising the other teams?

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:52 am

By the way, I hate to point out the chasm between the two offenses, but the women are averaging OVER 100 POINTS per game
over the last four games. JEEZ!!!!