Montana Recruits 2020

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
arvcat2
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 am

My uneducated guess as to what Vim's final list may be (with a Cat bias):

1 Carson Rostad (Hamilton) - QB (UM)
2 Tommy Mellott (Butte) - QB - (MSU)
3 Jaxon Lee (Missoula Sentinel) - WR/DB (UM)
4 McCade O'Reilly (Bozeman) - FB/LB (MSU)
5 Connor Ryan (Billings West) - WR/S (MSU)
6 Rollie Worster (Missoula Hellgate) - ATH - (USU BB)
7 Trey Yates (Colstrip) - DL - (MSU)
8 Journey Grimsrud (Huntley Project) - OL/DL - (UM)
9 Drew Deck (Kalispell Glacier) - WR/CB (UM)
10 Aaron Richards (Butte Central) - OL/DL (MSU)

New to the top 10 - Ryan, Yates, & Grimsrud. Out of the top 10 - Hayden Ferguson (Helena High), DeMarcus Carr (Billings West), & Max Anderson (Kalispell Flathead).



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9909
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 am
My uneducated guess as to what Vim's final list may be (with a Cat bias):

1 Carson Rostad (Hamilton) - QB (UM)
2 Tommy Mellott (Butte) - QB - (MSU)
3 Jaxon Lee (Missoula Sentinel) - WR/DB (UM)
4 McCade O'Reilly (Bozeman) - FB/LB (MSU)
5 Connor Ryan (Billings West) - WR/S (MSU)
6 Rollie Worster (Missoula Hellgate) - ATH - (USU BB)
7 Trey Yates (Colstrip) - DL - (MSU)
8 Journey Grimsrud (Huntley Project) - OL/DL - (UM)
9 Drew Deck (Kalispell Glacier) - WR/CB (UM)
10 Aaron Richards (Butte Central) - OL/DL (MSU)

New to the top 10 - Ryan, Yates, & Grimsrud. Out of the top 10 - Hayden Ferguson (Helena High), DeMarcus Carr (Billings West), & Max Anderson (Kalispell Flathead).
I also think there should be Brody Grebe with an asterisk in there somewhere.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5054
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 am
My uneducated guess as to what Vim's final list may be (with a Cat bias):

1 Carson Rostad (Hamilton) - QB (UM)
2 Tommy Mellott (Butte) - QB - (MSU)
3 Jaxon Lee (Missoula Sentinel) - WR/DB (UM)
4 McCade O'Reilly (Bozeman) - FB/LB (MSU)
5 Connor Ryan (Billings West) - WR/S (MSU)
6 Rollie Worster (Missoula Hellgate) - ATH - (USU BB)
7 Trey Yates (Colstrip) - DL - (MSU)
8 Journey Grimsrud (Huntley Project) - OL/DL - (UM)
9 Drew Deck (Kalispell Glacier) - WR/CB (UM)
10 Aaron Richards (Butte Central) - OL/DL (MSU)

New to the top 10 - Ryan, Yates, & Grimsrud. Out of the top 10 - Hayden Ferguson (Helena High), DeMarcus Carr (Billings West), & Max Anderson (Kalispell Flathead).
He’ll move Mellott ahead of Rostad. Lee wasn’t as productive (5.1/carry is not what high school players that are D1 players put up) as people thought he’d be this year. Trey Yates is not top 10. Ryan will be ahead of O’Reilly and Lee. Aaron Richards is not top 10. Mellott and Ryan should be 1-2, but I think he’ll have Rostad #2.



The MICKSTER
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:00 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:50 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm
Speaking of DL..... are we going to be better at DL in 2020 than we were in 2019? Before we start a riot here, hear me out! :lol:

I would have bet anyone $1,000 that our DL was going to take a step back from 2018 to 2019 with the amount of talent we graduated. I would have been out $1,000.

I have no idea if all the players on our 2020 DL are currently on the roster or not, but I do know Choate has proven time and time again that we really are in a place where we reload rather than rebuild, especially on the DL. Personally I think there will be one or two massive transfers coming to shore up the interior and provide depth but we'll see.
I'm not at all worried about our DL, but I don't think they'll be as good as the 2019 line. Sterk and Marks are hard to replace.
Totally agree with the bold part, and we'll see. I thought no way in hell we lose three starters from 2018 in Fa'Anono, Yates, and Wright and get better but there it was. I'm not stating we'll again improve there and be better in 2020 but it wouldn't surprise me in the lease if it happened. Choate seems to find a way to get it done, be it with existing players, transfers, or FBS drop downs.
Don't forget about our starting MLB Grant Collins was also lost to graduation with that group. I think having the same production from our DL in 2020 is a concern (just like it justifiably was in 2019) but it didn't seem to keep us from overcoming those concerns.

In 2020 on defense I think the biggest concern is replacing our top 3 highly productive safeties....Konkol, Alleyene, Henderson, along with corners Washington & Filer. From a personnel standpoint, that group is where we loose the most production from last year to this year.....especially at safety.



BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:12 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:00 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:50 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm
Speaking of DL..... are we going to be better at DL in 2020 than we were in 2019? Before we start a riot here, hear me out! :lol:

I would have bet anyone $1,000 that our DL was going to take a step back from 2018 to 2019 with the amount of talent we graduated. I would have been out $1,000.

I have no idea if all the players on our 2020 DL are currently on the roster or not, but I do know Choate has proven time and time again that we really are in a place where we reload rather than rebuild, especially on the DL. Personally I think there will be one or two massive transfers coming to shore up the interior and provide depth but we'll see.
I'm not at all worried about our DL, but I don't think they'll be as good as the 2019 line. Sterk and Marks are hard to replace.
Totally agree with the bold part, and we'll see. I thought no way in hell we lose three starters from 2018 in Fa'Anono, Yates, and Wright and get better but there it was. I'm not stating we'll again improve there and be better in 2020 but it wouldn't surprise me in the lease if it happened. Choate seems to find a way to get it done, be it with existing players, transfers, or FBS drop downs.
Don't forget about our starting MLB Grant Collins was also lost to graduation with that group. I think having the same production from our DL in 2020 is a concern (just like it justifiably was in 2019) but it didn't seem to keep us from overcoming those concerns.

In 2020 on defense I think the biggest concern is replacing our top 3 highly productive safeties....Konkol, Alleyene, Henderson, along with corners Washington & Filer. From a personnel standpoint, that group is where we loose the most production from last year to this year.....especially at safety.
Luckily Filer will be back so Safety will be the biggest concern. Unless Filer decided to transfer and I missed it.



Danster21
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by Danster21 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm

Hero Sports 2020 FCS RECRUITING: Big Sky Team And Individual Rankings

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-202 ... kings-ajaj

Montana at #8 of 9 (other schools with less than 5 recruits didn't make the list) and 0 of the top 20 most coveted (read: most sought after by other programs, not necessarily the best) prospects.

MSU's #2 behind only UCD and has:
5 MONTANA STATE LB Brody Grebe Wallingford, CT UMass, Army, 6 FCS
7 MONTANA STATE CB Max Lenzy Portland, OR Oregon, Utah St., Navy, 5 FCS
10 MONTANA STATE LB Danny Uluilakepa South Hill, WA Utah St., Air Force, 7 FCS
13 MONTANA STATE DB Miles Jackson Portland, OR Army, 7 FCS offers
18 MONTANA STATE RB Jaalen Rening Visalia, CA UC Davis decommit - 2 FBS, 4 FCS

Obviously Montana had several players who didn't get recruited as they had early intent to go to UM, and are damn good players, but I still think between this and COA we're well on our way to 16 wins of our own.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2394
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Danster21 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm
Hero Sports 2020 FCS RECRUITING: Big Sky Team And Individual Rankings

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-202 ... kings-ajaj

Montana at #8 of 9 (other schools with less than 5 recruits didn't make the list) and 0 of the top 20 most coveted (read: most sought after by other programs, not necessarily the best) prospects.

MSU's #2 behind only UCD and has:
5 MONTANA STATE LB Brody Grebe Wallingford, CT UMass, Army, 6 FCS
7 MONTANA STATE CB Max Lenzy Portland, OR Oregon, Utah St., Navy, 5 FCS
10 MONTANA STATE LB Danny Uluilakepa South Hill, WA Utah St., Air Force, 7 FCS
13 MONTANA STATE DB Miles Jackson Portland, OR Army, 7 FCS offers
18 MONTANA STATE RB Jaalen Rening Visalia, CA UC Davis decommit - 2 FBS, 4 FCS

Obviously Montana had several players who didn't get recruited as they had early intent to go to UM, and are damn good players, but I still think between this and COA we're well on our way to 16 wins of our own.
I have been waiting for this report. This staff continues to knock it out of the park! MSU lands 5 of the top 20 ranked recruits in the Big Sky. U of M at the bottom of the pack! Great stuff! And I expect more surprises on February signing day that will only increase our standing.



sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by sdsyvie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am

Interesting observation

I noticed Caleb Jordan #2 on this list was ahighly recruited QB from Camas, WA

Isnt this the same town our highly touted punt recruit is from? Interesting if we went after Jordan at all?



Danster21
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by Danster21 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am

sdsyvie wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am
Interesting observation

I noticed Caleb Jordan #2 on this list was ahighly recruited QB from Camas, WA

Isnt this the same town our highly touted punt recruit is from? Interesting if we went after Jordan at all?
I noticed that, and that's where 2 of our recruits are from, I'm thinking Rush Reimer and Bryce Leighton wanted to go together and one of them got a really good offer here. Perhaps we were trying to get Caleb to come as well, and this is purely speculation because Leighton and Reimer are phenomenal athletes who I'm ecstatic about, but maybe it was part of an attempt to convince Jordan.

More than likely it's a coincidence, and I'm happy to have those kids anyway.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am

Danster21 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am
sdsyvie wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am
Interesting observation

I noticed Caleb Jordan #2 on this list was ahighly recruited QB from Camas, WA

Isnt this the same town our highly touted punt recruit is from? Interesting if we went after Jordan at all?
I noticed that, and that's where 2 of our recruits are from, I'm thinking Rush Reimer and Bryce Leighton wanted to go together and one of them got a really good offer here. Perhaps we were trying to get Caleb to come as well, and this is purely speculation because Leighton and Reimer are phenomenal athletes who I'm ecstatic about, but maybe it was part of an attempt to convince Jordan.

More than likely it's a coincidence, and I'm happy to have those kids anyway.
MSU didn't offer Rush and Bryce to try to get a prospect that they didn't even offer a scholarship too.

Hero sports does a decent job, but take these lists with a grain of salt.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am

One, this isn't even the right thread for the Hero list, but oh well.

There's a few things that annoy me about this, but I'll try to keep it short. Their offer list evaluation is seriously flawed.

I mean, who thinks that a QB is going to go to Idaho over Louisville? So guess what, the Louisville offer wasn't a real offer. Maybe an early one rescinded, or a conditional offer (improve on this, this, and this, and we'll offer you and then the kid rushes off to twitter to post they got an offer and the coaches can't say that he didn't). Same thing with Max Lenzy. Who actually thinks that he's coming here if he has a real offer from Oregon? So if that's what the basis of their ranking is on, it's flawed from the very beginning. And of course, no Montana kids included.

I'll finish with this. If any of you think that Montana has the 8th best recruiting class in the BSC, well...I've got some ocean front, year round 80 degree weather property up in Havre for sale. Please send realistic offers.



Danster21
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by Danster21 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am
Danster21 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am
sdsyvie wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am
Interesting observation

I noticed Caleb Jordan #2 on this list was ahighly recruited QB from Camas, WA

Isnt this the same town our highly touted punt recruit is from? Interesting if we went after Jordan at all?
I noticed that, and that's where 2 of our recruits are from, I'm thinking Rush Reimer and Bryce Leighton wanted to go together and one of them got a really good offer here. Perhaps we were trying to get Caleb to come as well, and this is purely speculation because Leighton and Reimer are phenomenal athletes who I'm ecstatic about, but maybe it was part of an attempt to convince Jordan.

More than likely it's a coincidence, and I'm happy to have those kids anyway.
MSU didn't offer Rush and Bryce to try to get a prospect that they didn't even offer a scholarship too.

Hero sports does a decent job, but take these lists with a grain of salt.
Where can you find out whom they offered scholarships to or are you working off memory? Genuine question, I can't find anything.



User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9273
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:53 am

Danster21 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am
Danster21 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am
sdsyvie wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am
Interesting observation

I noticed Caleb Jordan #2 on this list was ahighly recruited QB from Camas, WA

Isnt this the same town our highly touted punt recruit is from? Interesting if we went after Jordan at all?
I noticed that, and that's where 2 of our recruits are from, I'm thinking Rush Reimer and Bryce Leighton wanted to go together and one of them got a really good offer here. Perhaps we were trying to get Caleb to come as well, and this is purely speculation because Leighton and Reimer are phenomenal athletes who I'm ecstatic about, but maybe it was part of an attempt to convince Jordan.

More than likely it's a coincidence, and I'm happy to have those kids anyway.
MSU didn't offer Rush and Bryce to try to get a prospect that they didn't even offer a scholarship too.

Hero sports does a decent job, but take these lists with a grain of salt.
Where can you find out whom they offered scholarships to or are you working off memory? Genuine question, I can't find anything.
https://247sports.com/college/montana-s ... ll/Offers/


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9273
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Hayden Ferguson
Ferguson is currently trying to choose between attending Stanford for academics or going to Montana State, where he can pursue his education and potentially play football. The two-time All-State defender has a preferred walk-on offer from the Cats.
https://helenair.com/sports/high-school ... op-story-1


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Hayden Ferguson
Ferguson is currently trying to choose between attending Stanford for academics or going to Montana State, where he can pursue his education and potentially play football. The two-time All-State defender has a preferred walk-on offer from the Cats.
https://helenair.com/sports/high-school ... op-story-1
Well that's an easy decision.



AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2961
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Hayden Ferguson
Ferguson is currently trying to choose between attending Stanford for academics or going to Montana State, where he can pursue his education and potentially play football. The two-time All-State defender has a preferred walk-on offer from the Cats.
https://helenair.com/sports/high-school ... op-story-1
Well that's an easy decision.
Yeah, why not do both? My uncle got his bachelors in engineering at MSU and two masters degrees at Stanford.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

HelenaCat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Hayden Ferguson
Ferguson is currently trying to choose between attending Stanford for academics or going to Montana State, where he can pursue his education and potentially play football. The two-time All-State defender has a preferred walk-on offer from the Cats.
https://helenair.com/sports/high-school ... op-story-1
Well that's an easy decision.
Yeah, why not do both? My uncle got his bachelors in engineering at MSU and two masters degrees at Stanford.
In my opinion, you get a better engineering education for your BS at MSU than a school like Stanford. At Stanford, grad students will be teaching most undergrad courses. At MSU, you get more individual attention from professors. But yes, then go to a Stanford to get your MS degree and you can probably get a job anywhere you want.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9909
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:53 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Hayden Ferguson
Ferguson is currently trying to choose between attending Stanford for academics or going to Montana State, where he can pursue his education and potentially play football. The two-time All-State defender has a preferred walk-on offer from the Cats.
https://helenair.com/sports/high-school ... op-story-1
Well that's an easy decision.
Yeah, why not do both? My uncle got his bachelors in engineering at MSU and two masters degrees at Stanford.
In my opinion, you get a better engineering education for your BS at MSU than a school like Stanford. At Stanford, grad students will be teaching most undergrad courses. At MSU, you get more individual attention from professors. But yes, then go to a Stanford to get your MS degree and you can probably get a job anywhere you want.
Especially for a guy like Hayden, who would likely be in the honors college and be matched up with a mentor faculty member right away.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:58 am

Did anybody ever say if he's related to the late, great, Hayden Ferguson?



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7414
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:49 pm

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 17&t=48722

I did stuff! More to come up until signing day. No ranking yet...just names in tiers. See details in the link.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Post Reply