Coaching candidates

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6317
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Fire up The Google to see who these guys are:



gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4091
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by gtapp » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 pm
Fire up The Google to see who these guys are:
WHO???


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6317
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm thinking it's gonna be Sprinkle.



lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by lutecat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:55 pm

"Division II coaches are always successful at the next level."
-Bob Stitt



User avatar
Helcat72
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:33 pm

lutecat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:55 pm
"Division II coaches are always successful at the next level."
-Bob Stitt
Ha! :lol: =D^


2019...Bobcats kicking booty

mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5880
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm
I'm thinking it's gonna be Sprinkle.
Of those 4 Sprinkle is the only one that moves the needle with me. I wonder if anyone turned us down due on lowest salaries in the D-1 ranks. Not the lowest but well below the d-1 average.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9806
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 pm
Fire up The Google to see who these guys are:
WHO???
Crutchfield is the only new name in the group. http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle ... =210421187


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 am

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Employer defines success, lutecat. Compare each coaches first three years as FCS Head Coach:
Stitt: 21-14 overall, 14-11 conference, 1-1 playoffs....
Choate: 17-18 overall, 12-12 conference, 1-1 playoffs....

Only a couple wins separates the two men. What is the main difference? Expectations, and about 200 miles.
I would guess the expectations would be similar for the new HC in MBB, Bozeman or Missoula(whenever that time may come, and it will).



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9806
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:01 pm
Employer defines success, lutecat. Compare each coaches first three years as FCS Head Coach:
Stitt: 21-14 overall, 14-11 conference, 1-1 playoffs....
Choate: 17-18 overall, 12-12 conference, 1-1 playoffs....

Only a couple wins separates the two men. What is the main difference? Expectations, and about 200 miles.
I would guess the expectations would be similar for the new HC in MBB, Bozeman or Missoula(whenever that time may come, and it will).
You're forgetting a very important detail - timeline. Stitt's only playoff birth was his first year. Then had a losing conference record in his second year, and his 3rd year was only 1 win better. The Griz finished T-2nd in 2015 with a playoff win, then 8th and then tied for 6th.

Choate started tied for 9th, then T-6th, then T-4th with a playoff win.

If you can't tell which coach was heading in the right direction, well, I'm glad your not an AD.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8214
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:22 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:40 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:09 pm
mslacat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 am
So no D2/NAIA coach made it to the final round of 4. All the final 4 candidates are D-1 assistants and only 1 (Sprinkle) are west coast based (unless you consider Oklahoma west coast) it should be interesting.
You might’ve missed this line in the story. Looney interviewed as well. And there’s another candidate that I can’t confirm yet because I don’t have enough sources. So five total, including the 4 reported above.
According to very good sources about 53 candidates have interviewed! Costello must be laughing his ass off right now at us. The only guy I know 100% who is interviewing is Sprinkle and he is going in strong with his top assistants already identified a potential player or two who also join him. The big problem we have been having, and I said this last week, is that Costello and his committee did preliminary interviews in Salt Lake last week. They interviewed a dozen or more potential candidates. Those are the names that flooded this thread, and even were mentioned by Colter earlier. Yes they interviewed, BUT NOT NECESSARILY THE FINAL ROUND IN BOZEMAN, Jono Metzger Jones was never a serious candidate. So we are running around with our heads cut off and with egg on our faces, and Costello has to be loving it. I was told earlier today Looney was out (who the ****** knows anymore) and the remaining candidates were D-1 assistants. Who the ****** knows. If we are gong to go with D-1 assistants how can you not go with Danny. The rest of them are potential Brain Fish waiting to bite us in the butt. Looney is and has been my 2nd favorite almost from day one. At this point I doubt I have it right, I doubt Colter has it completely right, I doubt anyone has it completely right. My last prediction when ever they announce the new coach it will either be Sprinkle or someone not even mentioned in this thread? :lol:
I have heard there are 5-6 candidates who have been brought to Bozeman. I can only confirm Sprinkle, Johnson and Lutz for sure. Have also heard Looney but sounds like now he might be outside looking in. I have heard an assistant from Oklahoma but cannot confirm if it's Chris Crutchfield or Kevin Kruger, Lon Kruger's son. This has been an interesting search to say the least. Very tight to the vest.



Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 am

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:01 pm
Employer defines success, lutecat. Compare each coaches first three years as FCS Head Coach:
Stitt: 21-14 overall, 14-11 conference, 1-1 playoffs....
Choate: 17-18 overall, 12-12 conference, 1-1 playoffs....

Only a couple wins separates the two men. What is the main difference? Expectations, and about 200 miles.
I would guess the expectations would be similar for the new HC in MBB, Bozeman or Missoula(whenever that time may come, and it will).
You're forgetting a very important detail - timeline. Stitt's only playoff birth was his first year. Then had a losing conference record in his second year, and his 3rd year was only 1 win better. The Griz finished T-2nd in 2015 with a playoff win, then 8th and then tied for 6th.

Choate started tied for 9th, then T-6th, then T-4th with a playoff win.

If you can't tell which coach was heading in the right direction, well, I'm glad your not an AD.
CelticCat, I agree. Stitt started 8-5 and headed down, Choate ended at 8-5, on the rise. The only real difference is expectations, met at MSU but not met at UM. What is expected of the new basketball coach? Objective criteria would be helpful in performance evaluation.



User avatar
RobertCats
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1613
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: Conrad, MT

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by RobertCats » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 pm
gtapp wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 pm
Fire up The Google to see who these guys are:
WHO???
Crutchfield is the only new name in the group. http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle ... =210421187
Johnson coached at Northern Iowa the same time Costello was there, so he is familiar with him.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:47 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm
I'm thinking it's gonna be Sprinkle.
Of those 4 Sprinkle is the only one that moves the needle with me. I wonder if anyone turned us down due on lowest salaries in the D-1 ranks. Not the lowest but well below the d-1 average.
It’s sprinkles job. Don’t see any way how he’s not the guy with this list of candidates. I’d bet my life savings he’s announced coach in the morning.



User avatar
CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6572
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:47 pm
mslacat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm
I'm thinking it's gonna be Sprinkle.
Of those 4 Sprinkle is the only one that moves the needle with me. I wonder if anyone turned us down due on lowest salaries in the D-1 ranks. Not the lowest but well below the d-1 average.
It’s sprinkles job. Don’t see any way how he’s not the guy with this list of candidates. I’d bet my life savings he’s announced coach in the morning.
The part about Sprinkle may be true but come on. Sprinkle, the de facto, just based on that list is a tad ridiculous. Lutz and Johnson are solid candidates.


Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:43 am

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:47 pm
mslacat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm
I'm thinking it's gonna be Sprinkle.
Of those 4 Sprinkle is the only one that moves the needle with me. I wonder if anyone turned us down due on lowest salaries in the D-1 ranks. Not the lowest but well below the d-1 average.
It’s sprinkles job. Don’t see any way how he’s not the guy with this list of candidates. I’d bet my life savings he’s announced coach in the morning.
The part about Sprinkle may be true but come on. Sprinkle, the de facto, just based on that list is a tad ridiculous. Lutz and Johnson are solid candidates.
You read too much into what I was saying. I’m not questioning the resume of any of the final 4. But there was one name where had I heard he was a finalist I wouldn’t think Sprinks would be a lock. I’m hearing this is no longer the case. So not a tad ridiculous at all.

It’s Danny’s job and I couldn’t be more excited to have him back and see if he can turn this ship around.



autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by autocat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:45 am

How many candidates have turned down the job?



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:59 am

autocat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:45 am
How many candidates have turned down the job?
That’s always tough info to know for sure. Lot of gray area when a person isn’t a finalist. I’d be curious if Colter has heard anything for certain. I’ve tried and haven’t been able to confirm exactly why a few guys weren’t in the running any longer.

All that matters now is the guy who didn’t turn down the job. Can’t wait to see what Danny can do to this program. Finally something to be excited about in regards to men’s basketball!



pinkmartini
New Recruit
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:39 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by pinkmartini » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am

REALITY

MONTANA STATE BASKETBALL GOAL IS TO BE ON TOP

BIG WEST EXPERIENCE 8 CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS PLUS HAWAII (WEST COAST RECRUTING)
BIG 12 EXPERIENCE MIDWEST/SOUTHERN MIDWEST MAJOR LEAGUE (USA RECRUITING)
BIG 10 EXPERIENCE MIDWEST/EAST COAST MAJOR LEAGUE (USA RECRUITING)

If you learned your trade in the major leagues of college basketball and can bring
that EXPERIENCE to Montana State. Why not?

LOOK AT THE FINALIST AGAIN....BIG TEN EXPERIENCE TO MONTANA STATE
THINK ABOUT IT.......
WHICH HORSE DO YOU WANT TO RUN IN THE BIG SKY?



mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5880
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:57 am

pinkmartini wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am
REALITY

MONTANA STATE BASKETBALL GOAL IS TO BE ON TOP

BIG WEST EXPERIENCE 8 CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS PLUS HAWAII (WEST COAST RECRUTING)
BIG 12 EXPERIENCE MIDWEST/SOUTHERN MIDWEST MAJOR LEAGUE (USA RECRUITING)
BIG 10 EXPERIENCE MIDWEST/EAST COAST MAJOR LEAGUE (USA RECRUITING)

If you learned your trade in the major leagues of college basketball and can bring
that EXPERIENCE to Montana State. Why not?

LOOK AT THE FINALIST AGAIN....BIG TEN EXPERIENCE TO MONTANA STATE
THINK ABOUT IT.......
WHICH HORSE DO YOU WANT TO RUN IN THE BIG SKY?
Danny Sprinkle!



MSU01
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3938
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 am

pinkmartini wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am
REALITY

MONTANA STATE BASKETBALL GOAL IS TO BE ON TOP

BIG WEST EXPERIENCE 8 CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS PLUS HAWAII (WEST COAST RECRUTING)
BIG 12 EXPERIENCE MIDWEST/SOUTHERN MIDWEST MAJOR LEAGUE (USA RECRUITING)
BIG 10 EXPERIENCE MIDWEST/EAST COAST MAJOR LEAGUE (USA RECRUITING)

If you learned your trade in the major leagues of college basketball and can bring
that EXPERIENCE to Montana State. Why not?

LOOK AT THE FINALIST AGAIN....BIG TEN EXPERIENCE TO MONTANA STATE
THINK ABOUT IT.......
WHICH HORSE DO YOU WANT TO RUN IN THE BIG SKY?
I want the best coach, whether he has Big Ten experience or not. Hopefully the search committee can get it right this time after two straight misses.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Post Reply