Will Bobby get his 5 wins this season?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Will Bobby get his 5 wins this season?

Post by grizpack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 am

Here is the real story. JC came to BH and told him that he wanted to sit out the last 2 games so that he could play with his brother next year (on scholarship). BH told him that we need him this year, as we have 2 more games and a shot to get to the playoffs, beat State, etc. JC said no, he would rather sit out. BH said scholarship was already promised to new player, as this was not expected. JC said no. BH asked if he was done playing for the year. JC said yes. BH said then you are done. Finishing the year or not WAS JC's choice.

Honestly not sure what BH was supposed to do. The Griz certainly could have used JC the last 2 games, as he was our best running back. Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 am

grizpack wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 am
Here is the real story. JC came to BH and told him that he wanted to sit out the last 2 games so that he could play with his brother next year (on scholarship). BH told him that we need him this year, as we have 2 more games and a shot to get to the playoffs, beat State, etc. JC said no, he would rather sit out. BH said scholarship was already promised to new player, as this was not expected. JC said no. BH asked if he was done playing for the year. JC said yes. BH said then you are done. Finishing the year or not WAS JC's choice.

Honestly not sure what BH was supposed to do. The Griz certainly could have used JC the last 2 games, as he was our best running back. Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't.
Sorry, my previous statement was a bit snarky...

So if Calhoun was returning his schollie was already promised to a new player?

I guess it is how much the decision to continue THIS YEAR would/should be on the player. Sounds as if hauck had already made the decision, gave Calhoun the rope and then let him hang himself. Sort of feel that hauck was being selfish. Now he has lost what many consider an important piece of the offense. Yes, tough decision.

Wondering how this may affect the brother?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 am
grizpack wrote:

I guess it is how much the decision to continue THIS YEAR would/should be on the player. Sounds as if hauck had already made the decision, gave Calhoun the rope and then let him hang himself. Sort of feel that hauck was being selfish. Now he has lost what many consider an important piece of the offense. Yes, tough decision.

Grizpack is giving a classic Griz homer summary. Not once is it mentioned what would be the best for the kid. Look at Choate’s handling of a similar situation with Logan Jones. Choate what was in the best interest of Logan Jones. What is also questionable by Hauck is that Calhoun was easily the most talented RB on the roster. It would seem that the team would also have been better off by having their best running back back for 11 games next year versus 2 this year. Instead, Hauck got zero additinal games. And saying that his scholarship has already been promised to someone else is complete BS. Did I miss an early signing day where the Griz already have every one committed and signed? If Beavis was telling the truth, he would be at home with his feet up this week instead of recruiting.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 pm

RickRund wrote:

Seems hard to believe that every scholarship for next year is already accounted for, especially considering the distribution of partial schollies along with the fact that not a single player from the class of 2019 has signed a LOI since it isn't even early signing day. If Hauck ran off a very productive player coming off of an injury with the hope of somehow sneaking into the playoffs and getting a round two pounding, then he's even more stubborn than he was during his first stint in Missoula.

EDIT - echoing Cataholic's post. The Griz homer spin doesn't hold up under even the slightest bit of scrutiny. Hearing now his brother may head out of UM too.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 pm
RickRund wrote:

Seems hard to believe that every scholarship for next year is already accounted for, especially considering the distribution of partial schollies along with the fact that not a single player from the class of 2019 has signed a LOI since it isn't even early signing day. If Hauck ran off a very productive player coming off of an injury with the hope of somehow sneaking into the playoffs and getting a round two pounding, then he's even more stubborn than he was during his first stint in Missoula.

EDIT - echoing Cataholic's post. The Griz homer spin doesn't hold up under even the slightest bit of scrutiny. Hearing now his brother may head out of UM too.
Don't know how to highlight/bold print a quote or partial so I am commenting on your last sentence PapaG. When I have run into griz fans here my little comeback to them is on the line of: the griz have us beat in two places, men's basketball and more arrests by the football team (early but that may not be as big a problem now...but it is early). They talk about how proud they are hauck is back. I just say that at least this year he will (and did) face plant. And can't leave out how the university is collapsing. I still am not close to being sold on hauck leading them to the promised land.

msubobcats@outlook.com

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
grizpack wrote:

Grizpack is giving a classic Griz homer summary. Not once is it mentioned what would be the best for the kid. Look at Choate’s handling of a similar situation with Logan Jones. Choate what was in the best interest of Logan Jones. What is also questionable by Hauck is that Calhoun was easily the most talented RB on the roster. It would seem that the team would also have been better off by having their best running back back for 11 games next year versus 2 this year. Instead, Hauck got zero additinal games. And saying that his scholarship has already been promised to someone else is complete BS. Did I miss an early signing day where the Griz already have every one committed and signed? If Beavis was telling the truth, he would be at home with his feet up this week instead of recruiting.
Yeah, you are right. I know nothing. Made it all up. Just trying to hold the company line.

You should maybe look into it. You may find there was a lot more there that made the decision pretty clear. But carry on. I will put my maroon glasses back on, hang up and listen.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 pm

grizpack wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
grizpack wrote:

Yeah, you are right. I know nothing. Made it all up. Just trying to hold the company line.

You should maybe look into it. You may find there was a lot more there that made the decision pretty clear. But carry on. I will put my maroon glasses back on, hang up and listen.
You should take off the Griz colored glasses. Not once did I see or hear Hauck say anything about what might be best for the kid. And his STATEMENT/EXCUSE does not pass the sniff test. No scholarships??? Isn’t there a signing day coming up? I guess everyone recruit has already committed and any new signings will be walk-ons.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 am

I don't normally defend Beavis, but if Choate did the same thing the year after taking over for Ash, people would be defending him as just trying to get his guys in there which is what Beavis is doing. I'm going to assume the coaching staff was banking on bringing in X number of guys with Y number of scholarships. Having an out of state full scholarship player decide that he wants to redshirt and come back for an unplanned year could potentially impact at least one full ride recruit or several partial scholarship recruits, most of which would be Montana guys. He's a douche and all, but there are two sides to every story. As much as people like the NCAA want to pretend it's not, this is a business.

He's still a doucher by the by.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 am

coachouert wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 am
I don't normally defend Beavis, but if Choate did the same thing the year after taking over for Ash, people would be defending him as just trying to get his guys in there which is what Beavis is doing. I'm going to assume the coaching staff was banking on bringing in X number of guys with Y number of scholarships. Having an out of state full scholarship player decide that he wants to redshirt and come back for an unplanned year could potentially impact at least one full ride recruit or several partial scholarship recruits, most of which would be Montana guys. He's a douche and all, but there are two sides to every story. As much as people like the NCAA want to pretend it's not, this is a business.

He's still a doucher by the by.
Haha! Beavis is a douche.

What Grizpack conveniently left out is the health question of Calhoun. Calhoun had numerous concussions and was dealing with that injury. He even missed some games from concussions and it is very hard to impossible to determine whether they are healed. Calhoun is saying that he needed more time to get healthy. The general rule of thumb with concussions is to always err on the side of caution. If Hauck was forcing Calhoun to play who claimed to not be completely healthy, Hauck could be terminated. If he took away a kids scholarship status as result, that is a fireable offense.

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 am

Health was not an issue for the last 2 games. I didn't leave it out. He was already cleared to play by medical doctors, not BH.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:13 pm

grizpack wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 am
Health was not an issue for the last 2 games. I didn't leave it out. He was already cleared to play by medical doctors, not BH.
Come Dr Grizpack, or should we just call you grizindabox. I went over to egriz to see what others were saying and injury status came up a number of times. Calhoun said in his own statement that he wanted to get healthy. If you are the least bit familiar with brain injuries, you would understand that it can reoccur on a simple fall or hit that happens in every game or practice. If a kid says he is not healthy and the coach tells him to play or else, there is a serious liability and ethical issue.

You also didn’t bother to address the stupid comment about not having a scholarship for him next year. We all know that this situation is all about Bobby’s ego and own interests, with little consideration for what is best for the fourth year student.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

It would be interesting to know what happened in that (those?) conversation(s?). IMO there are decent arguments on both sides of this. Depending on how the conversation went, I can imagine taking either side. I tend to favor Calhoun's side - especially since it's Bobby on the other side :sick:

But regardless who's to blame for the situation, I think the way Bobby handled it should be embarrassing for him and his supporters. He could have simply said that Calhoun will not be playing and/or that they were discussing his options for the future. Instead, it seems he had to make sure that the blame was on Calhoun (he doesn't want to play) and a petty parting shot.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm

It could be apples to oranges, really not connected with the situation other than heresay, BUT I just look at how Coach Choate handled the Logan Jones issue.

msubobcats@outlook.com

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:34 pm

This isn't surprising for a coach who took a little heat his first time around for "winning at all costs".

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:13 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Jury is still out on Bobby getting five wins in 2018. How about in 2019? My buddy griz fan was whining about the schedule next year so I pulled it up. WOW!

AT South Dakota State
North Alabama
AT Oregon
Monmouth
AT UC Davis
Idaho State
AT Sac STATE
EWU
AT PSU
Idaho
Weber
AT MSU

That's gonna leave a mark.
South Dakota State, Oregon, All 4 Big Sky Conference teams that made the playoffs last year. Tough schedule indeed. I am predicting that at best the Griz come to Bozeman with a 6-5 record, but more likely 5-6.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:13 pm
catatac wrote:
Jury is still out on Bobby getting five wins in 2018. How about in 2019? My buddy griz fan was whining about the schedule next year so I pulled it up. WOW!

AT South Dakota State
North Alabama
AT Oregon
Monmouth
AT UC Davis
Idaho State
AT Sac STATE
EWU
AT PSU
Idaho
Weber
AT MSU

South Dakota State, Oregon, All 4 Big Sky Conference teams that made the playoffs last year. Tough schedule indeed. I am predicting that at best the Griz come to Bozeman with a 6-5 record, but more likely 5-6.
It’s at USD....not SDSU....still a very tough schedule. Not getting my hopes up too much.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Rich K wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:13 pm
catatac wrote:

AT South Dakota State
North Alabama
AT Oregon
Monmouth
AT UC Davis
Idaho State
AT Sac STATE
EWU
AT PSU
Idaho
Weber
AT MSU

It’s at USD....not SDSU....still a very tough schedule. Not getting my hopes up too much.
North Alabama's no gimme. A lot of people (me included) thought they'd get slapped around moving up from DII. They played well and made a name for themselves.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.