Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
rtb
Moderator
Posts: 8024
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:15 pm
Location: Bend, OR
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by rtb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 am

60's Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 am
Each time I attempt to log in on my iPad through Safari, It states "You have specified an incorrect username. Please check your username and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact a board adminstrator." I am using the same username and password that I used to connect with my desktop. What am I doing incorrectly?


Thanks.
My guess is you have the wrong password potentially stored in your iPad browser. So it is defaulting by dumping in an old password that you have saved, it's clearing out your username or password due to having something saved, or its a miskey. Clear out your username/password for BobcatNation in your iPad keychain and try again. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll try to help you get through it.


Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6662
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:12 pm

I'll miss the "unread" feature of Tapatalk, where you can easily see all new posts you haven't seen yet.
But I'll get over it, the new site looks great! Thank you guys for the upgrades and for hosting this forum!


Image

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:12 pm
I'll miss the "unread" feature of Tapatalk, where you can easily see all new posts you haven't seen yet.
But I'll get over it, the new site looks great! Thank you guys for the upgrades and for hosting this forum!
Hit the "Quick Links" menu at the top of any page (looks like 3 lines stacked on mobile) and you will find a few different options like that.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Long Time Cat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 922
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 am
Location: North Idaho

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks for the upgrade it looks great. I have never used Tapatalk so obviously I won't miss it. Even the old site wasn't that difficult to navigate on my iPhone so I never felt the need. I haven't used it much yet but if this is even easier to use I will be very pleased.


"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5861
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:45 pm
Thanks for the upgrade it looks great. I have never used Tapatalk so obviously I won't miss it. Even the old site wasn't that difficult to navigate on my iPhone so I never felt the need. I haven't used it much yet but if this is even easier to use I will be very pleased.
Same here, except the new site is MUCH more mobile friendly, loads faster, and looks better. It's a huge improvement. Thanks kmax!


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by lutecat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm

My one suggestion would be to have a link back to the forum I'm browsing at the bottom of the page so I dont have to scroll up to the top to do so. I know I can back arrow but then the topic isn't marked as read without me refreshing. Not a big deal. Just a suggestion.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm

lutecat wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm
My one suggestion would be to have a link back to the forum I'm browsing at the bottom of the page so I dont have to scroll up to the top to do so. I know I can back arrow but then the topic isn't marked as read without me refreshing. Not a big deal. Just a suggestion.
lutecat: There is a quick way to get back to the top of a long scroll that is supported by most browsers. Just tap in an unused area in the page header around the very top of the page. It should pop you back to the top immediately without any scrolling. You might have to experiment a little to find the sweet spot, but it should work. It's what I use to get back to the top. Please give it a try.



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm
lutecat wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm
My one suggestion would be to have a link back to the forum I'm browsing at the bottom of the page so I dont have to scroll up to the top to do so. I know I can back arrow but then the topic isn't marked as read without me refreshing. Not a big deal. Just a suggestion.
lutecat: There is a quick way to get back to the top of a long scroll that is supported by most browsers. Just tap in an unused area in the page header around the very top of the page. It should pop you back to the top immediately without any scrolling. You might have to experiment a little to find the sweet spot, but it should work. It's what I use to get back to the top. Please give it a try.
Great suggestion for getting back to the top, thanks for putting that up for everyone. That said, lutecat I am right there with you. That link at the bottom is available on the full desktop site but not the mobile and I have found myself missing it as well. I plan to look at it and get the link enabled on the mobile version of the site when I get the time.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by lutecat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:50 am

I just noticed theres a little black up arrow on the right side of the screen. If I tap it it takes me back to the top.



User avatar
griz5700
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:44 pm
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by griz5700 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:50 am

looks good.

=D^


PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:39 am

On my iPad, the board is rendering as the desktop version. Is there anyway to ask for the mobile version, or is phpBB choosing it's own cutpoint? Often there is something like m.bobcatnation.com (is not recognizedj or some option on the URL to request the site type. Could you please tell me if a get the mobile site to run on my iPad? Thanks!



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:39 am
On my iPad, the board is rendering as the desktop version. Is there anyway to ask for the mobile version, or is phpBB choosing it's own cutpoint? Often there is something like m.bobcatnation.com (is not recognizedj or some option on the URL to request the site type. Could you please tell me if a get the mobile site to run on my iPad? Thanks!
Right now the board is simply flowing to the mobile version only when the width of the screen is below a certain size and there is no way to force it. I will look into it and see if there is another option. Is the board not usable as desktop on your iPad? All the same shortcuts we've talked about in this thread should work and the desktop version just shows a bit more information.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 pm

No, the desktop version works just fine. I suspected your answer would be the answer. You've mentioned how nice the mobile site was so I just wanted to know if there was a URL option or anything to request it. I always like to try both versions when I can, since the iPad is a mobile device, albeit with a bit larger screen than the phones. But 9.7 inches still isn't 27 or anything, so you do need mighty fine eyesight to use it. The text like I am typing here is really small. If you find anything, please let me know. Thanks.



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:41 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm
lutecat wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm
My one suggestion would be to have a link back to the forum I'm browsing at the bottom of the page so I dont have to scroll up to the top to do so. I know I can back arrow but then the topic isn't marked as read without me refreshing. Not a big deal. Just a suggestion.
lutecat: There is a quick way to get back to the top of a long scroll that is supported by most browsers. Just tap in an unused area in the page header around the very top of the page. It should pop you back to the top immediately without any scrolling. You might have to experiment a little to find the sweet spot, but it should work. It's what I use to get back to the top. Please give it a try.
Great suggestion for getting back to the top, thanks for putting that up for everyone. That said, lutecat I am right there with you. That link at the bottom is available on the full desktop site but not the mobile and I have found myself missing it as well. I plan to look at it and get the link enabled on the mobile version of the site when I get the time.
I've enabled the return to [current forum] link in the mobile version of the site now.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 pm
No, the desktop version works just fine. I suspected your answer would be the answer. You've mentioned how nice the mobile site was so I just wanted to know if there was a URL option or anything to request it. I always like to try both versions when I can, since the iPad is a mobile device, albeit with a bit larger screen than the phones. But 9.7 inches still isn't 27 or anything, so you do need mighty fine eyesight to use it. The text like I am typing here is really small. If you find anything, please let me know. Thanks.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. Unfortunately the mobile version wouldn't really help with that as it does not actually increase the font sizes or anything it just removes certain elements (for instance the last three columns of the forum listing tables) and collapses other items (removes labels like the quick links menu and such) to make things fit better on a smaller screen. An ipad has enough screen real estate to show all of these items so it doesn't flow down and forcing it to do so would only give you less information with a fairly minimal increase in sizes of text etc.

If that is your major concern though (font sizes and reading/typing) I can completely understand and I have added a change to the board that may help with that. If you click on the menu in the upper right where your username/avatar is shown and select the "User Control Panel" option then go to the Board Preferences tab you should see an option at the bottom that allows you to enable increased font size for the board. Just enable this option if you would like and set the percentage over the normal size you would like to have the board display and then submit. After doing this when you reload the main board you should see the majority of the text on the board has been made larger. One note is that I would not recommend going much over 140-150% as anything more than that and you will start to see some issues with text overlapping or the layout not working very well.

Hope that helps you out some, let me know what you think.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Yes! The ability to manipulate the font size is wonderful. The default of 130% is well-chosen, but I would recommend to anyone to try a few sizes and see what is comfortable. You are now officially off my hook for Tapatalk. I had come to realize that a more comfortable font size was a major thing that I was missing. Another item of good news is that this font size control affects the Quick links menu. I've been using the Unread posts selection to emulate Tapatalk's very helpful Unread option, and it was pretty small to hit quickly without a stylus. You've done well. Happy camper here. Thank you. And now back to our regularly scheduled forum news...



spring creek cat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by spring creek cat » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:37 am

Love the new site! I am also not needing Tapatalk anymore! Well done and thank you!!



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 pm

A couple of new features on the board for everyone.

The first you have all probably noticed already for the last week or so and that is the share on links to share a post from BobcatNation on your favorite social media platform. You will notice the icons like facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. below each post and clicking on one will allow you to share a link to that post on that particular platform.

The second is likely less known but could be useful and that is @ tagging of users. In a post you can now type the @ symbol and start typing a username of the user you want to tag. You will see a list of all matching users pop up and you can select the user that you wish to tag. Once you submit the post with a user tagged that user will see a notification in the upper right when they next visit the board directing them to your post. This can be useful if you wish to address a question to a specific user, but please don't abuse this.

Enjoy everyone.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Return of the Ads!!!!

Booo! Hisss! How dare you!?!

Yeah I know, but it's a necessary evil and I've finally gotten it back up and running. The ads help us pay the bills and keep the lights on around this here part of the inter-webs. I've tried to set up a layout that isn't too intrusive with the ads but I do welcome feedback and we will play around with the layout if needed.

Just a reminder, these are google ads and are not something that we are specifically choosing for you. Google can use your known history if it has it to show you relevant ads or if it doesn't know anything about you then will serve up ads from its pool. If you get an ad for something you don't like, don't blame us go check your browser history (or maybe blame your roommate, spouse, kids, etc. :wink: )


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8792
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Welcome to the new and improved BobcatNation

Post by kmax » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:37 pm

bob12 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm
Screen says

"This site has been blocked by the network administrator settings.

Block Reason: Gateway GEO-IP Filter Alert

IP Address: 178.128.xxx.x

Connection intitiated towards country: Greece."

Tech guy is a Griz fan but he has never blocked this site before. I can always use work arounds or wait until I get home. Thanks for the response.
I have been monitoring most of the larger providers for GEO-IP based lookups and it appears that most of them have updated to set the IP that we are using to properly be located in the US now. Hopefully this has resolved the issue for you with your proxy blocking.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Post Reply