Page 1 of 1

Idaho recruiting

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:52 pm
by coloradocat
With another commit from ID coming in, how do we stack up against Idaho and Idaho State? They would clearly have the numbers overall but are we competing for the top athletes in the state or just a couple schools?

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm
by AFCAT
Sean Austin had offers from both Idaho State and Idaho.

I believe Titan Fleischmann had an offer from his hometown Idaho State Bengals.

I don't believe Pottenger had offers from the Idaho schools.

Just checked Idaho's roster and it doesn't look like they recruit Idaho very much. They have 18 Idaho players on their roster.
Idaho State has 28.
Montana State has 3.

By comparison, Montana State has 42 players on its roster from Montana.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 pm
by Cataholic
Boise State also has 15 Idaho natives on their roster.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
by seataccat
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
by Cataholic
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
by AFCAT
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
by grizzh8r
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
by BleedingBLue
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
by AFCAT
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
by Cataholic
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm
by BleedingBLue
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Dang I thought Cincy might be an anomaly. It makes sense though that the non power 5 schools recruit in state so hard. There's probably a lot if in state talent that gets under recruited in the highly populated states. Probably makes recruiting a little easier on the wallet for those schools.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
by Bobcat4Ever
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am
by Cataholic
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.
Basketball does present an interesting recruiting angle in metro areas as well. Hellgate was the beat team in Montana for some time and there was maybe 3 D1 recruits. I would be curious how that team would have fared against Boise or SLC teams.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am
by TomCat88
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.
Basketball does present an interesting recruiting angle in metro areas as well. Hellgate was the beat team in Montana for some time and there was maybe 3 D1 recruits. I would be curious how that team would have fared against Boise or SLC teams.
Probably not well. Montana basketball is way behind Idaho and Utah. Better than Wyoming.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am
by TomCat88
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Wow, impressive research. Keep up the good work.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:04 pm
by Cataholic
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Wow, impressive research. Keep up the good work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Amazing what one can do with no college football to watch!!!

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 pm
by Bobcat4Ever
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am
Probably not well. Montana basketball is way behind Idaho and Utah. Better than Wyoming.
@TomCat88 How would you rank those four states on high school football? How would the good Bozeman Hawk teams have fared against Tucker Rovig’s team?

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
by onceacat
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm
by Cataholic
onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.
Even stranger, Colorado which is a member of the PAC 12 as well only has 27 kids from the state of Colorado. Roughly half of their roster is from either CA or TX. Even stranger is that Mountain West Colorado State Univ only has 32 kids from Colorado. I had expected that they would recruit the state heavily but not really. And then UNC only has 41 kids from the state??? Seems like low numbers for close to 6 million in population. Factors such as culture and other sports must play a larger role than we think in high school participation. My nephew is a senior at a high school in Denver and their band is a bigger deal than football at their school, and they would be Class AA size in Montana. They also have lacrosse and baseball as high school sports.

Re: Idaho recruiting

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 am
by JDoub
onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.
Utah now has 6 Div I Football programs - 3 FBS and 3 FCS

Dixie State University in the WAC is now full FCS, will play at least 1 FBS team this spring

And Utah Valley University, Div. 1, will most likely add football in the near future

Utah also has one of the top JC football programs in the country, consistently producing future NFL players (Snow College has produced more NFL players than MSU)

HS Football is big here in Utah, but it seems tapped out already for HS recruits. Many of the top HS recruits here seem to go elsewhere - Stanford, Oregon, Alabama, etc. instead of UofU -- BYU recruits all over the world for LDS kids, so overall it's kinda weird recruiting scene.