Idaho recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Idaho recruiting

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:52 pm

With another commit from ID coming in, how do we stack up against Idaho and Idaho State? They would clearly have the numbers overall but are we competing for the top athletes in the state or just a couple schools?


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3299
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm

Sean Austin had offers from both Idaho State and Idaho.

I believe Titan Fleischmann had an offer from his hometown Idaho State Bengals.

I don't believe Pottenger had offers from the Idaho schools.

Just checked Idaho's roster and it doesn't look like they recruit Idaho very much. They have 18 Idaho players on their roster.
Idaho State has 28.
Montana State has 3.

By comparison, Montana State has 42 players on its roster from Montana.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Boise State also has 15 Idaho natives on their roster.



User avatar
seataccat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Portland or Seattle

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by seataccat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm

It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.


"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.



AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3299
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3021
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.



AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3299
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.



BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3021
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Dang I thought Cincy might be an anomaly. It makes sense though that the non power 5 schools recruit in state so hard. There's probably a lot if in state talent that gets under recruited in the highly populated states. Probably makes recruiting a little easier on the wallet for those schools.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.
Basketball does present an interesting recruiting angle in metro areas as well. Hellgate was the beat team in Montana for some time and there was maybe 3 D1 recruits. I would be curious how that team would have fared against Boise or SLC teams.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14446
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.
Basketball does present an interesting recruiting angle in metro areas as well. Hellgate was the beat team in Montana for some time and there was maybe 3 D1 recruits. I would be curious how that team would have fared against Boise or SLC teams.
Probably not well. Montana basketball is way behind Idaho and Utah. Better than Wyoming.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14446
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Wow, impressive research. Keep up the good work.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:04 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Wow, impressive research. Keep up the good work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Amazing what one can do with no college football to watch!!!



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am
Probably not well. Montana basketball is way behind Idaho and Utah. Better than Wyoming.
@TomCat88 How would you rank those four states on high school football? How would the good Bozeman Hawk teams have fared against Tucker Rovig’s team?



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1807
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.
Even stranger, Colorado which is a member of the PAC 12 as well only has 27 kids from the state of Colorado. Roughly half of their roster is from either CA or TX. Even stranger is that Mountain West Colorado State Univ only has 32 kids from Colorado. I had expected that they would recruit the state heavily but not really. And then UNC only has 41 kids from the state??? Seems like low numbers for close to 6 million in population. Factors such as culture and other sports must play a larger role than we think in high school participation. My nephew is a senior at a high school in Denver and their band is a bigger deal than football at their school, and they would be Class AA size in Montana. They also have lacrosse and baseball as high school sports.



User avatar
JDoub
Member # Retired
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Salt Lake City (SL,UT)

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by JDoub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.
Utah now has 6 Div I Football programs - 3 FBS and 3 FCS

Dixie State University in the WAC is now full FCS, will play at least 1 FBS team this spring

And Utah Valley University, Div. 1, will most likely add football in the near future

Utah also has one of the top JC football programs in the country, consistently producing future NFL players (Snow College has produced more NFL players than MSU)

HS Football is big here in Utah, but it seems tapped out already for HS recruits. Many of the top HS recruits here seem to go elsewhere - Stanford, Oregon, Alabama, etc. instead of UofU -- BYU recruits all over the world for LDS kids, so overall it's kinda weird recruiting scene.



Post Reply