Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6708
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Helena, Montana

Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Missoula Sentinel is on probation for the 2021-22 season. They are allowed to participate in the regular season and post season, but must come up with a plan to rectify what put them on probation........but this article doesn't say what that was. hmmmmmm

https://www.montanasports.com/high-scho ... -probation



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 16059
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Just saw that. Crazy. I thought they got off easy with the $100 fine a few years ago when they poached that player out of P'Burg/Drummond and it looks like this might just be another slap on the wrist. I'd hate to see these kids punished too harshly, but they did win a title last year, so maybe they should have to sit this one out.

I've heard rumblings about Missoula stacking teams at one school with the talent from all over town.


MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 56 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:02 pm

It's a little bit of a joke. I don't think the MHSA can do very much when threatened legally. I wouldn't mind seeing coaches suspended for a season or something, but I like that they don't punish kids for something the adults did. In theory, there are lots of innocent students at Sentinel. There are constant accusations in Missoula of recruiting...Football at Sentinel, basketball at Hellgate. But they're all pretty much rumors. Every time a player transfers you hear chatter about somebody recruiting them, but most of the time the families are reaching out. If anybody is recruiting, it's usually another player or a parent of a player who wants to see the program get better. This track thing was pretty egregious though. They knowingly broke rules. Every track coach knows the rules, and these qualifying standards aren't new anymore.


Image

User avatar
nevadacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by nevadacat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Asking out of curiosity, does this thing happen in other large Montana cities — allegedly?

It’s an open secret it happens here in Vegas, though it was much worse in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure it’s common everywhere.


...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm
Asking out of curiosity, does this thing happen in other large Montana cities — allegedly?

It’s an open secret it happens here in Vegas, though it was much worse in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure it’s common everywhere.
Missoula has open enrollment which makes this all possible. As I understand it, there are no school boundary lines and all students are allowed to choose which school they go to. This is meant to allow students to pursue their area of interest for education purposes. For example, a student interested in liberal arts would select Hellgate due to their offerings in that area. A student interested in STEM would select one of the other two high schools. This has translated into kids selecting schools based on athletic pursuits.

I am not really clear on the all the specifics, but that was how it was explained to me.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5699
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am
nevadacat wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm
Asking out of curiosity, does this thing happen in other large Montana cities — allegedly?

It’s an open secret it happens here in Vegas, though it was much worse in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure it’s common everywhere.
Missoula has open enrollment which makes this all possible. As I understand it, there are no school boundary lines and all students are allowed to choose which school they go to. This is meant to allow students to pursue their area of interest for education purposes. For example, a student interested in liberal arts would select Hellgate due to their offerings in that area. A student interested in STEM would select one of the other two high schools. This has translated into kids selecting schools based on athletic pursuits.

I am not really clear on the all the specifics, but that was how it was explained to me.
Interesting...


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 pm

This was a pretty interesting article on a fan’s reaction about the Sentinel - West State Championship game. The guy is a super fan of Missoula Sentinel, but it is hard to tell that they won the game. Amazingly he sees nothing wrong with his monologue.

https://buttesports.com/we-could-all-le ... nP48ms5RFk

I have been an outspoken critic of “bad fans” on this forum. I am sure someone will defend the guy despite the fact that he threw pretty much every fan base and players under the bus to make his point.

Also, given the recent Zac Crews incident, one has to ask if these super fans affect the kids. Have they created a sense of entitlement? They basically recruit football players to go to Sentinel and basketball players to go to Hellgate.



User avatar
coloradocat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by coloradocat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 pm
This was a pretty interesting article on a fan’s reaction about the Sentinel - West State Championship game. The guy is a super fan of Missoula Sentinel, but it is hard to tell that they won the game. Amazingly he sees nothing wrong with his monologue.

https://buttesports.com/we-could-all-le ... nP48ms5RFk

I have been an outspoken critic of “bad fans” on this forum. I am sure someone will defend the guy despite the fact that he threw pretty much every fan base and players under the bus to make his point.

Also, given the recent Zac Crews incident, one has to ask if these super fans affect the kids. Have they created a sense of entitlement? They basically recruit football players to go to Sentinel and basketball players to go to Hellgate.
Middle aged high school football fans are worst. They just can't get over the fact that they're not in high school any more.

The best parts are when he goes off so hard that his wife interrupts him off screen and he says he's fine and has to respond to what people are saying. :lol:

The thing is, it could have been 2 minutes long but he kept going and repeating himself for another 24 minutes. If the video was 2 minutes long it wouldn't have been such a big deal but when you rant for almost half an hour it's going to get a lot of attention.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5581
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:58 pm

Man that was a funny listen! Gotta be honest, and maybe this makes me a bad parent, but I wasn’t near as passionate about my own kids teams they played for than this nut is about a high school team! Even if he has a kid on the team he’s awful.

In all my years of watching my kids, coaching my kids, and even a little officiating over the years there was always one constant: terrible parents/fans. It’s ironic this clown doesn’t even realize he’s everything that is wrong about youth sports.

So embarrassing.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 11825
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Sentinel on Probation for 2021-22 season

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:16 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:58 pm
Man that was a funny listen! Gotta be honest, and maybe this makes me a bad parent, but I wasn’t near as passionate about my own kids teams they played for than this nut is about a high school team! Even if he has a kid on the team he’s awful.

In all my years of watching my kids, coaching my kids, and even a little officiating over the years there was always one constant: terrible parents/fans. It’s ironic this clown doesn’t even realize he’s everything that is wrong about youth sports.

So embarrassing.
Agree....I feel bad for his kid. He is "that guy"



Post Reply