A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Letter from the Chronicle

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:57 am

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:27 pm

Letters to the editor and the police reports are about the only two reasons to even read the Chronicle...and those for pure entertainment and humor value.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

argh!
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by argh! » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:36 pm

that "letter to the editor", if it appeared as it did on the chronicle website, was a sad case of un-acknowledged plaigerism. a new york (jewish, i think) comedian wrote that. to steal those words and have them published as one's own, in a media form that the public expects originality, is pathetic, and illegal. maybe it was presented differently in the comical?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:15 am

argh!: That doesn't surprise me at all. In my casual reading of the various letters to the editor in some of the Montana newspapers, I have noticed several times where chain email material works its way into someone's letter. In fact, one Chronicle columnists seems to practically lift most of her material from radio talk shows and internet sites (without any real research to speak of), similar to the Butte sports guys lifting their utterly... whatever... ideas directly from the Griz smack boards. If that was simply a rip-off letter, it was pathetic of the "writer" not to mention it, but it still cracked me up in the context of some of the other letters written lately (many of which were probably also lifted at least partially from somewhere else).

I don't think it was presented in a way in the Chronicle other than as a letter to the editor.