Raequan Battle

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by autocat » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:05 am

Battle is way better player than Bronny James! I’m guessing Battle plays in the G-league?



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7392
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:04 am

So, were Knecht and Jones "better" players than Raequan to be picked that far ahead in the draft?


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6784
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:28 am

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:04 am
So, were Knecht and Jones "better" players than Raequan to be picked that far ahead in the draft?
That is a really interesting conversation. If Raequan stays at MSU and wins Big Sky Player of the Year over Jones, would Raequan have been drafted?



oldrunner
New Recruit
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by oldrunner » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:52 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:28 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:04 am
So, were Knecht and Jones "better" players than Raequan to be picked that far ahead in the draft?
That is a really interesting conversation. If Raequan stays at MSU and wins Big Sky Player of the Year over Jones, would Raequan have been drafted?
That is a really good question. Battle is a great player who should have been drafted. Transferring seems to have hurt him in that respect. You are right, he probably would have recieved more attention had he stayed at MSU or followed his coach to USU. The whole litigation thing probably dampened the enthusiasm surrounding him. For every case where transferring helped a player, I can show you 4 more that actually hurt the player.

I think we will see the portal frenzy settle down a bit.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6784
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:52 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:52 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:28 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:04 am
So, were Knecht and Jones "better" players than Raequan to be picked that far ahead in the draft?
That is a really interesting conversation. If Raequan stays at MSU and wins Big Sky Player of the Year over Jones, would Raequan have been drafted?
That is a really good question. Battle is a great player who should have been drafted. Transferring seems to have hurt him in that respect. You are right, he probably would have recieved more attention had he stayed at MSU or followed his coach to USU. The whole litigation thing probably dampened the enthusiasm surrounding him. For every case where transferring helped a player, I can show you 4 more that actually hurt the player.

I think we will see the portal frenzy settle down a bit.
I think you are spot on with Raquan getting more looks if he stayed, but I think the portal will become an even greater factor in basketball. Smaller conference have become the minor leagues and the best players will continue to get snapped up. There is just too much money for players to ignore and not make that move up. In the meantime, P5 players are dropping down to G5 conferences to get more playing time. The high school kids are the ones really getting hammered. We are probably not far from 2 star recruits seriously considering NAIA offers.



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm

Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6784
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:47 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.
Hindsight is 20/20. But you can’t really fault a kid with taking an offer to play college basketball for over $200,000 for one year. Also gets to compete in one the best basketball conferences in the country. I think calling it “stupid” is pretty harsh. And he will still get a chance for professional basketball in the US - possibly in the G league for now, but he will get his chance.



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 9621
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by kmax » Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:13 pm



“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7392
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by RickRund » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:03 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:47 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.
Hindsight is 20/20. But you can’t really fault a kid with taking an offer to play college basketball for over $200,000 for one year. Also gets to compete in one the best basketball conferences in the country. I think calling it “stupid” is pretty harsh. And he will still get a chance for professional basketball in the US - possibly in the G league for now, but he will get his chance.
I know it may be a stretch but looks as if Raequan may have gotten the Curt Flood treatment.


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8622
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: The Magic City, MT

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by PapaG » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:39 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.
Staying at MSU was never going to be the difference in Battle making millions of dollars as an NBA player. He made good money at West Virginia last season. Likely more money than he will make as a professional this upcoming season.


Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8622
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: The Magic City, MT

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by PapaG » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:42 am

RickRund wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:03 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:47 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.
Hindsight is 20/20. But you can’t really fault a kid with taking an offer to play college basketball for over $200,000 for one year. Also gets to compete in one the best basketball conferences in the country. I think calling it “stupid” is pretty harsh. And he will still get a chance for professional basketball in the US - possibly in the G league for now, but he will get his chance.
I know it may be a stretch but looks as if Raequan may have gotten the Curt Flood treatment.
Curt Flood was a very good MLB player. Battle is an NBA afterthought.

I think Tyler Hall was a slightly better prospect based on his elite ability to shoot the ball and he couldn’t stick with an NBA roster and plays G-League. Battle is a very good college player who will play overseas if he wants to do so. I don’t see an NBA player at all unless he has an All-Star cousin like Blevins did or a dad like LeBron. I hope he shows I’m wrong, though.


Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

User avatar
AFCAT
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9923
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:21 am



QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cats and Dogs
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by Cats and Dogs » Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:35 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:39 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.
Staying at MSU was never going to be the difference in Battle making millions of dollars as an NBA player. He made good money at West Virginia last season. Likely more money than he will make as a professional this upcoming season.
Correct!
His transfer had zero impact on getting drafted!



Cats and Dogs
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by Cats and Dogs » Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:45 pm

With that said, there are lots of undrafted players playing multiple seasons and making multiple millions in the NBA! Hoping Raequan can make that play out for himself! He has the athleticism and length!



autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by autocat » Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:49 pm

In many ways he reminds me of Jordan Clarkson of the Jazz and he’s making 23 million plus a year!



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8622
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: The Magic City, MT

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by PapaG » Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:01 pm

autocat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:49 pm
In many ways he reminds me of Jordan Clarkson of the Jazz and he’s making 23 million plus a year!
Hope that happens for him but whatever happens in his professional career, transferring to West Virginia won’t have anything to do with it.

Clarkson was able to start as a rookie for a terrible Lakers team and was a full-time starter his second season on a worse team. Got a lot of NBA experience that way early in his career.


Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

oldrunner
New Recruit
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 pm

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by oldrunner » Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:52 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Yup.

I was pretty blunt about calling this out when he transferred…. Just an absolutely stupid move. And several posters argued against it.

I think you could make a very strong argument that he would be in the nba right now (drafted) had he stayed with the cats. Oh and for the people that say he “couldn’t turn down that money”……. Ha, I will be curious to see what Dillon jones makes next year.

Such a horrible decision that he made, which might have ultimately cost him millions.
No contract yet for Dillon, but the estimates are that he will make 5.8 million for the first two year and if the option is picked up it would be over 13 million for the full four years. After that, it would be a negotiation process and unknown at this point. By returning for his Jr year, dillon made a lot more money than if he had taken one of the high major NIL offers he had on the table. If he took one of those offers, there would be no guarantee of playing time. It would have been a bigger gamble to transfer.



BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 am

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:37 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:52 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:28 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:04 am
So, were Knecht and Jones "better" players than Raequan to be picked that far ahead in the draft?
That is a really interesting conversation. If Raequan stays at MSU and wins Big Sky Player of the Year over Jones, would Raequan have been drafted?
That is a really good question. Battle is a great player who should have been drafted. Transferring seems to have hurt him in that respect. You are right, he probably would have recieved more attention had he stayed at MSU or followed his coach to USU. The whole litigation thing probably dampened the enthusiasm surrounding him. For every case where transferring helped a player, I can show you 4 more that actually hurt the player.

I think we will see the portal frenzy settle down a bit.
He didn’t get drafted because he’s an older prospect who only does one thing well (score), and he shot 41% from the field and 34% from 3. He was a really inefficient offensive player for WVU. Super talented, but if he wants to play in the league, he’ll have to become a 3 & D wing.



User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2998
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: Back in the US, but not home

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:00 am

kmax wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:13 pm
What's the difference between this and the Expedite10 thing that Darius signed?


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 19509
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Raequan Battle

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:34 am

It's a blast to do, but hardly anyone is good at projecting how good a college player will be in the pros in any sport. There are those that are relatively good compared to others, but even they aren't what I would consider great. Only about 20% of players picked in the 2nd round are still active after 5-10 years. Lottery picks are at 75% and non-lottery 1st round picks around 40%.

There are about 450 players on NBA rosters. About 60 players are drafted each year and the average career in the NBA is about 4.5 years.

Guessing where someone will be drafted has a better success rate than guessing how good they will be.


MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Post Reply