Worst griz team since……?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Worst griz team since……?

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:06 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:39 am
Griz have new D coordinator. Old one retired. Will have a different scheme this year.
Nope, you're still running the 3-3-5 from what I've seen. High pressure in the middle but struggle to contain fast guys off the edge. The um defense last year was actually better than this years, too. This year has solid starters but no depth, especially on the D line. It wears down. Thats why Idaho nearly came back to win from 20 points down.
Grizfan7 wrote:
The Cats and Vigen didn't know what to do with the UM 3-3-5 and 2021, and then changed things for 2022 and played like UM didn't even have a defense.
We lost the 2021 game because Matt McKay melted down in Wagriz and choked. And its why he was benched the next day for a true freshman named Tommy Mellott. Last year with Mellott and Chambers vs the 3-3-5, the Cats rushed for 440 yards and didn't punt - not even the backups who played most of the 4th quarter.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:21 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:09 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:52 pm
Yes not on the same level, ha. Griz have been playing better and beaten 2 ranked teams in a row on the road. Cats haven't beaten a team with a winning record (I don't see this as a big deal, but people liked to throw that at the Griz last season). Griz just shut down the top ranked runner in the conference, holding him to 41 yards, and currently leads the conference in stopping the run. If Griz can't defend against MSU much better this year than last, then the Cats will run over the Griz again. But new DC for Griz who will presumably use a different scheme. Much of the D knows the mistakes they made last year and how good the Cat running game is. And, note that the Griz clobbered the no. 3 ranked Cats the prior year.
So last year they didn't know the Cats had a good running game, but now they do, and now that they know about it, they'll be able to stop it.
Got it.

There's always new griz fans crawling out of the woodwork after they win a big game. Where were you after the NAU game?
Griz have new D coordinator. Old one retired. Will have a different scheme this year. The Cats and Vigen didn't know what to do with the UM 3-3-5 and 2021, and then changed things for 2022 and played like UM didn't even have a defense. In 2021, the Cats had 84 yards on their last drive in the last 5 minutes to get the score to 29-10. So, until then, the Cats had had 118 yards of total offense. Again, the Cats had been ranked no. 3 at the time in 2021 and went on to the national championship game; and obviously had a very good team.
This is more of a reflection of a first-year coaching staff being unprepared. MSU would have clown stomped you all had Choate been the skipper that year. You know it's true.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:06 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Griz have new D coordinator. Old one retired. Will have a different scheme this year.
Nope, you're still running the 3-3-5 from what I've seen. High pressure in the middle but struggle to contain fast guys off the edge. The um defense last year was actually better than this years, too. This year has solid starters but no depth, especially on the D line. It wears down. Thats why Idaho nearly came back to win from 20 points down.
Grizfan7 wrote:
The Cats and Vigen didn't know what to do with the UM 3-3-5 and 2021, and then changed things for 2022 and played like UM didn't even have a defense.
We lost the 2021 game because Matt McKay melted down in Wagriz and choked. And its why he was benched the next day for a true freshman named Tommy Mellott. Last year with Mellott and Chambers vs the 3-3-5, the Cats rushed for 440 yards and didn't punt - not even the backups who played most of the 4th quarter.
Remember he/she doesn't think 4th quarter stats are meaningful when game is out of hand.

Sports is not bigger than life

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:31 pm

So, McKay gave up 29 points and 2 TD's? And McKay held Ifanse to 50 yards on 19 carries, for a 2.6 average? McKay caused Leighton's fumble, when I assume McKay wasn't on the field? McKay threw no interceptions. UM threw 2. Mellott was 7-27 rushing. UM was up 7-0 before McKay got on field.

I will stick with this: The Griz clobbered the Cats in that game, and the Cats clobbered the Griz in 2022.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:38 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Griz have gotten an injured d-lineman back. I was told he's the 2d best d-lineman on team. Sure, the main scheme is the same this year, but it will be altered to better fit defending against the Cats this year. And, again, the returning Griz players all know the mistakes they individually made last year, and there were many. Hauck has admitted that the particularly defensive game plan wasn't right last year. I suppose the game may have to be played to find out what's going to happen.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:52 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:23 pm
I hope they keep winning, and keep Grizzly fans thinking they are at the same level or better than the Bobcats. The Bobcats and SDSU are the clear cut class of the FCS right now, and the gap between them and the next level of pretenders is fairly wide. This will become clear as we continue through the season and throughout the playoffs.
The 14th ranked team would wipe the floor with the gris right now.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:03 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:38 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Griz have gotten an injured d-lineman back. I was told he's the 2d best d-lineman on team. Sure, the main scheme is the same this year, but it will be altered to better fit defending against the Cats this year. And, again, the returning Griz players all know the mistakes they individually made last year, and there were many. Hauck has admitted that the particularly defensive game plan wasn't right last year. I suppose the game may have to be played to find out what's going to happen.
Well, you better hope Bobby devises an otherworldly, never-seen-before plan. Absent that, the grissly front and linebackers will again stand no chance against MSU’s offensive line and tight ends.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:08 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Yes the game will be settled on the field. You better hope the griz team that played the first half of Idaho shows up, and not the griz team that played the rest of this season so far. Otherwise you will lose by 40. Again.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:16 pm

ECBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:03 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Well, you better hope Bobby devises an otherworldly, never-seen-before plan. Absent that, the grissly front and linebackers will again stand no chance against MSU’s offensive line and tight ends.
Like preparing for players who won’t play?

It’s only football. It’s not like brain science or rocket surgery.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:08 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Yes the game will be settled on the field. You better hope the griz team that played the first half of Idaho shows up, and not the griz team that played the rest of this season so far. Otherwise you will lose by 40. Again.
This =D^

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:22 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:31 pm
So, McKay gave up 29 points and 2 TD's? And McKay held Ifanse to 50 yards on 19 carries, for a 2.6 average? McKay caused Leighton's fumble, when I assume McKay wasn't on the field? McKay threw no interceptions. UM threw 2. Mellott was 7-27 rushing. UM was up 7-0 before McKay got on field.

I will stick with this: The Griz clobbered the Cats in that game, and the Cats clobbered the Griz in 2022.
If you want to rehash a game from two years ago I'll play along. The griz had one offensive touchdown, the second play of the game (which accounted for nearly 1/3 of their passing yards for the entire game). After that they scored 5 field goals, with a combined 6 first downs on those drives (multiple 3 and outs) meaning they got short fields almost every time, and a blocked punt return TD. The griz didn't clobber the Cats in that game. They had two big play touchdowns and won the field position battle in a defensive slugfest. Griz fans like to say that the final score doesn't reflect the true nature of the game, but the scoreboard before our late TD doesn't reflect the true nature of the game either.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:33 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:22 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:31 pm

If you want to rehash a game from two years ago I'll play along. The griz had one offensive touchdown, the second play of the game (which accounted for nearly 1/3 of their passing yards for the entire game). After that they scored 5 field goals, with a combined 6 first downs on those drives (multiple 3 and outs) meaning they got short fields almost every time, and a blocked punt return TD. The griz didn't clobber the Cats in that game. They had two big play touchdowns and won the field position battle in a defensive slugfest. Griz fans like to say that the final score doesn't reflect the true nature of the game, but the scoreboard before our late TD doesn't reflect the true nature of the game either.
I was not rehashing the game. I was responding to posters blaming the loss on McKay. Each of the big things you mentioned is part of football and part of clobbering. FG’s count. Defensive plays count. Long TD’s count. Luck counts.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:48 pm

The brutal a$$ kickings the Cats gave the Griz the last two games in Bozeman, are light years different than the one win UM got in Missoula. Yes the Griz win was, I guess you cold say, a bit one sided, but those other two games were absolute massacres, blood lettings. No comparison. Fact.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:11 pm

7 is making a case that the gris have a decent shot of winning based off of probably the worst game MSU has played in the past 3 or 4 years, 2 years ago. One that ended up with a QB benched, and transferring out immediate. Stick with that narrative, seems like a good way to justify your point.

But I still thank the gris for that game, as it was just the spark that the Cats needed to elevate to the next level and simply leave them in the dust. So gris nation should be patting themselves on the back for launching their arch rival to the top of the FCS.

I know I’ll never convince they/them otherwise, but ignoring the negative impact of that the guy that is supposed to be leader (McKay) has on a team, especially when it seems like he half quits on your team against your arch rival, is just silly. Meanwhile, while all of gris nation is saying how much harder they are playing for their current starter than they did for the one he just replaced.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:09 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:48 pm
The brutal a$$ kickings the Cats gave the Griz the last two games in Bozeman, are light years different than the one win UM got in Missoula. Yes the Griz win was, I guess you cold say, a bit one sided, but those other two games were absolute massacres, blood lettings. No comparison. Fact.
Okay, even if what you said is true, the next game is in Missoula. UM has a new DC and will have a better gameplay for the game. UM is setting attendance records this season, and the crowd is back to being its old loud self. The Griz seem to be improving each week and perhaps getting on a roll. Cats have played only 1 good team, and gotten beat. A good or better comparison may be how each of the teams plays SS.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:16 pm

tdub wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:11 pm
7 is making a case that the gris have a decent shot of winning based off of probably the worst game MSU has played in the past 3 or 4 years, 2 years ago. One that ended up with a QB benched, and transferring out immediate. Stick with that narrative, seems like a good way to justify your point.

But I still thank the gris for that game, as it was just the spark that the Cats needed to elevate to the next level and simply leave them in the dust. So gris nation should be patting themselves on the back for launching their arch rival to the top of the FCS.

I know I’ll never convince they/them otherwise, but ignoring the negative impact of that the guy that is supposed to be leader (McKay) has on a team, especially when it seems like he half quits on your team against your arch rival, is just silly. Meanwhile, while all of gris nation is saying how much harder they are playing for their current starter than they did for the one he just replaced.
No, I did no such thing. I countered some arguments that the Griz only won in 2021 because McKay was bad. I pointed out that that absolutely was not true. I have said nothing about the Griz winning this year.

Is your argument that if McKay had played better, if the Cats had not given up a 75 yard TD, if the Cats had not called a dumb ST play and executed it poorly, and the Cats had not given up 5 FG's, the game would have been closer?

If so, then I would make the argument that if the Griz hadn't given up four 60 plus TD runs to NDSU last year in the playoffs, the game would have been closer.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:02 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:09 pm
catatac wrote:
Okay, even if what you said is true, the next game is in Missoula. UM has a new DC and will have a better gameplay for the game. UM is setting attendance records this season, and the crowd is back to being its old loud self. The Griz seem to be improving each week and perhaps getting on a roll. Cats have played only 1 good team, and gotten beat. A good or better comparison may be how each of the teams plays SS.
So tell me what do you think they are going to do so differently to game plan this years Cat team. It not really the same offense as last year. Are they going to gameplan the offense we used against SDSU, the one we used against WSU, maybe the the pass heavy almost air raid style we used against Cal Poly, I think come 11/18 there will be a couple more variations for them to look at. With as many looks, formations and styles that the Cats use, your new DC will need a month to prep the team for his updated game plan.

I'm betting he will just stick with a similar attack he use against UI, base 3-3-5, heavy pressure with 4, dropping 1 as a spy and the last LB into center zone if he doesn't blitz. I think Housewrite has a pretty good book on hos to attack that plan. Stretch your LB's horizontally and use our speed to wear them out, Unless you have a whole bunch of depth that you have not shown so far, its gonna be another blood bath. um just doesn't have the depth to make the adjustments that you think they will make.

The thing is the 3-3-5 is designed to counter the spread passing teams, it isn't very effective against solid running team, it has weaknesses against both zone and power schemes. Throw in the RPO and its another bloodbath for you.

PS. I hope he sets his outside LB's wider to counter our edge speed, we are getting pretty good at inside power.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:26 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Yes not on the same level, ha. Griz have been playing better and beaten 2 ranked teams in a row on the road. Cats haven't beaten a team with a winning record (I don't see this as a big deal, but people liked to throw that at the Griz last season). Griz just shut down the top ranked runner in the conference, holding him to 41 yards, and currently leads the conference in stopping the run. If Griz can't defend against MSU much better this year than last, then the Cats will run over the Griz again. But new DC for Griz who will presumably use a different scheme. Much of the D knows the mistakes they made last year and how good the Cat running game is. And, note that the Griz clobbered the no. 3 ranked Cats the prior year.
So last year they didn't know the Cats had a good running game, but now they do, and now that they know about it, they'll be able to stop it.
Got it.

There's always new griz fans crawling out of the woodwork after they win a big game. Where were you after the NAU game?
Griz have new D coordinator. Old one retired. Will have a different scheme this year. The Cats and Vigen didn't know what to do with the UM 3-3-5 and 2021, and then changed things for 2022 and played like UM didn't even have a defense. In 2021, the Cats had 84 yards on their last drive in the last 5 minutes to get the score to 29-10. So, until then, the Cats had had 118 yards of total offense. Again, the Cats had been ranked no. 3 at the time in 2021 and went on to the national championship game; and obviously had a very good team.
Are you unaware that your team is still running the 3-3-5 defense?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:47 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:02 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:09 pm
catatac wrote:
So tell me what do you think they are going to do so differently to game plan this years Cat team. It not really the same offense as last year. Are they going to gameplan the offense we used against SDSU, the one we used against WSU, maybe the the pass heavy almost air raid style we used against Cal Poly, I think come 11/18 there will be a couple more variations for them to look at. With as many looks, formations and styles that the Cats use, your new DC will need a month to prep the team for his updated game plan.

I'm betting he will just stick with a similar attack he use against UI, base 3-3-5, heavy pressure with 4, dropping 1 as a spy and the last LB into center zone if he doesn't blitz. I think Housewrite has a pretty good book on hos to attack that plan. Stretch your LB's horizontally and use our speed to wear them out, Unless you have a whole bunch of depth that you have not shown so far, its gonna be another blood bath. um just doesn't have the depth to make the adjustments that you think they will make.

The thing is the 3-3-5 is designed to counter the spread passing teams, it isn't very effective against solid running team, it has weaknesses against both zone and power schemes. Throw in the RPO and its another bloodbath for you.

PS. I hope he sets his outside LB's wider to counter our edge speed, we are getting pretty good at inside power.
Good analysis 2506. All of what you said is true. In my simple mind I also see a Bobcat program that is loaded with talent and quality depth at almost every position, excellent coaching staff that has proven time and time again they are going to outcoach the opponents, and last but not least a team culture and attitude that is absolutely incredible. It's not just coach speak. It is literally a team full of young men that are playing their guts out for their brothers and putting the team winning ahead of everything else. It shows up in every single player interview I've seen over the past few years.

Last year when they suffered the defeat at SDSU they all took it personally and re-doubled everyone's efforts (coaches and recruiting, and all the players) to do whatever it takes to get to the level of SDSU. They have proven they are at that level and hopefully get a chance for a rematch to prove they are better. UM is not at the same level.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:18 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:26 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Got it.

Are you unaware that your team is still running the 3-3-5 defense?
Yes, of course. Also aware that UM was running that D in 2021 when UM clobbered the Cats. 29-10 (with Cats getting their only TD in the last few mints of the game), and gaining only 96 on the ground in 41 carries, for a 2.3 average per carry. Are you aware of those things?