Next year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Next year

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:16 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:14 pm
Anybody else get the impression from the post game press conference that Sprinkle has some issue with Great's work ethic? Or maybe it's just a motivational tool to get him to work even harder.

If Sprinkle, Brown, Battle and Osobor are back we are in really good shape for next year. Respectively the 3 best returning players in the conference at their position.
Forgot to mention Ford but he's an absolute stud on defense.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:41 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:32 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am
We will miss Belo more than we know. Even though his offensive stats were pedestrian he impacted the game in a huge way. Even against K-State. We had probably 8 wide, wide open three point shots against a Big 12 defense. Why? Because they were all packed in against Great and Jubrile. Belo was Fish's recruit. Sprinkle did a good job of re-recruiting him when he was hired. But Sprinkle hasn't won a meaningful game without Belo as a head coach. So (maybe this is just my hope) other programs may look at that fact and give pause to hiring Sprinkle away from us this season. Can Sprinkle keep this thing going without Belo? I think he can, but we'll see. Sprinkle's physical attacking inside-outside style worked great against Big Sky teams who are smaller, light, and fast. Will it work so well without Belo causing three guys to collapse on him and without Belo protecting the rim on defense? If everyone comes back, including Sprinkle, we're going to be really good again. But other programs, like Weber are recruiting like crazy to catch up to us, and EWU has almost everybody back. The league will be pretty good next season.
Is this Sprinkle’s preferred style or is he just using the style that works best for the players he has? We don’t really know that yet.
Our style of the past two seasons isn't what I imagined when we hired Sprinkle. I was expecting more of the Mick Durham-Stu Starner type system. Lots of 3's, lots of fast breaks, etc. Our style of the last few seasons is more Big-10 Big-12 stuff. Walk it up, pound it inside. It certainly was effective. I can't imagine Sprinkle, one of our all time great shooters, was happy with how we've shot the ball from outside. With the focus of the team switching from Belo to Battle I think we will see a change. And we'll see how Sprinkle adjusts (if we get to keep him). It's gonna be fun to watch.

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:33 am
HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am
gtapp wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 am
The bench was weak this year. Patterson, Gazelas and Lecholat all took a step back this year. In particular Lecholat lacked any confidence. He looked like he was scared to touch the ball the whole season. Patterson also was always afraid to pull the trigger and shoot. I also expected Germer to get more minutes than he did. I thought all four would be contributors this year and each played only a few minutes per game.
Ask yourself why they didn’t get minutes. It’s not because they can’t play or even contribute. It became overtly obvious as soon as conference play started, only 8/9 were going to get significant minutes. Coaches doesn’t bring in Jr and Sr Grad transfers to sit the bench. Do you go to practice and see what’s going on? Do you see the dynamics of who’s constantly playing scout team? I’m going to guess not. We’re all left to guess why kids don’t get minutes, but in this case, it’s not for the lack of ability.
With all due respect, one can watch the games and see pretty easily why some guys don’t get more minutes. The bench has played bad all season. If they can’t play good in games, they aren’t going to get more minutes.
If bad play was the arbiter of decreased game play, we should have seen some of the starters minutes decrease. Not increase! Watching live stats game in and game out, the +|- factor of effectiveness, percentage of shots made, and TO’s is pretty good bar to measure by. There’s 2 that started and played a major part of the season that more games than not, didn’t show up. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Yes, we had a tremendous defensive side that absolutely won us games. The fact is, coaching tendencies didn’t allow for solid bench players to get meaningful reps to help the team when, arguably, could have benefitted us greatly.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 pm

We only lose Belo and Fuller next year. The loss of Belo is tough, but he was so inconsistent this year. Hopefully Osobor will continue to improve and provide steady production next year. You could still see how raw he is in last nights game. If he improves similarly to this year, he will be first or second team all conference next year. Fuller was nice to have, but I think we have capable guys ready to take his minutes. Lecholat, Patterson and McMahon are all starters if on other Big Sky teams and they will all only be juniors next year. The foundation is set for us to win for years to come. We just need more consistency on offense from game to game.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:42 pm

I am not sure Patterson starts any where else unless he gets his shooting touch back. Saw somewhere he had 50 3's only 10 2's this year. So can't get to rim, okay defense for our league but was exposed last night. I haven't seen enough of others in crunch time mi uses to say they would start.

Sports is not bigger than life

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:53 pm

My impression on minutes was #1 play great defense then ability to score.

Based on kids on roster think we will be more fluid next year.

Size and athleticism matters especially in big dance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:19 pm

Osobar has developed some moves down low especially going baseline, but he needs to develop a pullup jumper in the lane or something facing the basket.

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:22 pm

Patterson has gotten worse from last year to this year offensively. He's a one-trick pony. He's a long player that used to be able to shoot the 3, but now he's as unpredictable as any of them from that range except Brown and Battle.

2024 Resume dominance

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 pm
We only lose Belo and Fuller next year. The loss of Belo is tough, but he was so inconsistent this year. Hopefully Osobor will continue to improve and provide steady production next year. You could still see how raw he is in last nights game. If he improves similarly to this year, he will be first or second team all conference next year. Fuller was nice to have, but I think we have capable guys ready to take his minutes. Lecholat, Patterson and McMahon are all starters if on other Big Sky teams and they will all only be juniors next year. The foundation is set for us to win for years to come. We just need more consistency on offense from game to game.
I haven’t seen enough McMahon to say otherwise, but the other two…no. They can hardly hit open shots at a decent clip.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:14 pm

HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:33 am
HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am
gtapp wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 am
The bench was weak this year. Patterson, Gazelas and Lecholat all took a step back this year. In particular Lecholat lacked any confidence. He looked like he was scared to touch the ball the whole season. Patterson also was always afraid to pull the trigger and shoot. I also expected Germer to get more minutes than he did. I thought all four would be contributors this year and each played only a few minutes per game.
Ask yourself why they didn’t get minutes. It’s not because they can’t play or even contribute. It became overtly obvious as soon as conference play started, only 8/9 were going to get significant minutes. Coaches doesn’t bring in Jr and Sr Grad transfers to sit the bench. Do you go to practice and see what’s going on? Do you see the dynamics of who’s constantly playing scout team? I’m going to guess not. We’re all left to guess why kids don’t get minutes, but in this case, it’s not for the lack of ability.
With all due respect, one can watch the games and see pretty easily why some guys don’t get more minutes. The bench has played bad all season. If they can’t play good in games, they aren’t going to get more minutes.
If bad play was the arbiter of decreased game play, we should have seen some of the starters minutes decrease. Not increase! Watching live stats game in and game out, the +|- factor of effectiveness, percentage of shots made, and TO’s is pretty good bar to measure by. There’s 2 that started and played a major part of the season that more games than not, didn’t show up. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Yes, we had a tremendous defensive side that absolutely won us games. The fact is, coaching tendencies didn’t allow for solid bench players to get meaningful reps to help the team when, arguably, could have benefitted us greatly.
I don’t disagree about those two players, but I didn’t see anybody coming off the bench they played good enough to replace them either.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:28 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
I haven’t seen enough McMahon to say otherwise, but the other two…no. They can hardly hit open shots at a decent clip.
Can always count on you to trash a player regardless of your knowledge. Let me guess…. You coached a 4th grade girls basketball team and are an expert on player evaluation.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:34 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Very belligerent indeed… If you had turned on the games early in the season it didn’t take but a couple offensive possessions to see that McMahon is a dynamic and explosive playmaker that has potential to be a 1st or 2nd team all-conference player sooner rather than later.
As for Patterson and Lecholat. Patterson had a bit of a down year, admittedly. However, he still shot 34.5% from 3 which was still better than the team average. Plus his usage rate was dropped from 6.0 shots last year to 4.7 shots this year. Which might not seem like a lot, but for a shooter than needs to find a rhythm like TP, it adds up over the course of a season. And for Sam, he had the 3rd highest FG% on the team at 48.5% and shot better than the team average for 3pt. FG%. Did he take less shots than Osobor or any of the starters? Yes. But averaging 9th on the team in minutes/game and only realistically getting around 4’/game in the later half of the conference schedule is hardly what you’d describe as “hardly hitting shots at a decent clip.” I’d say for the minutes he was getting in relation to the numbers he was putting up in those minutes, he should have seen the floor more when compared to that of his starting counterpart who only got 1 more rebound and 3 more points in over double the minutes on the season and damn near triple the minutes during the conference season and postseason run.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:07 am

Some of these ideas for next year are the same as parents yelling to put their kid in.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:15 am

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:34 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Very belligerent indeed… If you had turned on the games early in the season it didn’t take but a couple offensive possessions to see that McMahon is a dynamic and explosive playmaker that has potential to be a 1st or 2nd team all-conference player sooner rather than later.
As for Patterson and Lecholat. Patterson had a bit of a down year, admittedly. However, he still shot 34.5% from 3 which was still better than the team average. Plus his usage rate was dropped from 6.0 shots last year to 4.7 shots this year. Which might not seem like a lot, but for a shooter than needs to find a rhythm like TP, it adds up over the course of a season. And for Sam, he had the 3rd highest FG% on the team at 48.5% and shot better than the team average for 3pt. FG%. Did he take less shots than Osobor or any of the starters? Yes. But averaging 9th on the team in minutes/game and only realistically getting around 4’/game in the later half of the conference schedule is hardly what you’d describe as “hardly hitting shots at a decent clip.” I’d say for the minutes he was getting in relation to the numbers he was putting up in those minutes, he should have seen the floor more when compared to that of his starting counterpart who only got 1 more rebound and 3 more points in over double the minutes on the season and damn near triple the minutes during the conference season and postseason run.
If you are talking Fuller, his defense is why he was in the floor.

Sports is not bigger than life

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:28 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Can always count on you to trash a player regardless of your knowledge. Let me guess…. You coached a 4th grade girls basketball team and are an expert on player evaluation.
I simply refuted the idea they’re good enough to start for other BSC teams. That’s not trashing anybody. Besides, I wasn’t the only person that shared that opinion, so I’m not sure why you’re targeting me. I’m terribly sorry that I don’t share the same OPINION as you.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:34 am

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
34% from 3 might be better than the team average, but it’s still quite bad, especially when it’s the only thing he does on offense. He’s a solid defender, so at least there’s that.

Lecholat is an ok bench player. He just doesn’t look remotely confident, and is a tweener (too small to play down low, not athletic enough to play on the wing). Fuller didn’t contribute a lot on offense, but he was a very good defender. I just don’t see BSC starters with those two. Ok bench players.

I’m not at all saying McMahon is bad! I’m just being honest and saying I haven’t seen enough to say anything at all. I’m not going to spout off on somebody I haven’t seen that much.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:50 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 am
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I simply refuted the idea they’re good enough to start for other BSC teams. That’s not trashing anybody. Besides, I wasn’t the only person that shared that opinion, so I’m not sure why you’re targeting me. I’m terribly sorry that I don’t share the same OPINION as you.
It is funny how YOU commented on my original post, yet somehow I am targeting you :lol: :lol: :lol: Your passive aggressive schtick has grown old.

By the way, I am not the only person that thinks Lecholat and Patterson are legit starters. Another poster responded to your comments right after I did. But most importantly, Sprinkle has started both of these guys for multiple games. He clearly thinks they are good enough to start on the tournament conference champion team. The only guy who hasn’t started is McMahon who is stuck behind Evans - otherwise he would be starting.

And of course your comment “they can hardly hit open shots”is not considered trashing anyone in your Belligerent mindset. It is just your opinion. You would never trash anyone.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:54 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:34 am
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
34% from 3 might be better than the team average, but it’s still quite bad, especially when it’s the only thing he does on offense. He’s a solid defender, so at least there’s that.

Lecholat is an ok bench player. He just doesn’t look remotely confident, and is a tweener (too small to play down low, not athletic enough to play on the wing). Fuller didn’t contribute a lot on offense, but he was a very good defender. I just don’t see BSC starters with those two. Ok bench players.

I’m not at all saying McMahon is bad! I’m just being honest and saying I haven’t seen enough to say anything at all. I’m not going to spout off on somebody I haven’t seen that much.
Very fair points.
McMahon's sample size might be small but I think there is enough on tape to say that he has potential to have a very bright future (assuming he comes back from the foot injury 100%).
I think the thing we all need to realize is the offense has potential to look very different from the bang it down low, slower paced low-post focused offense. In more of a higher octane, motion-focused offense maybe these bench players and guys were talking about will find more of a rhythm and build confidence because the coaches are letting them use their, vision, athleticism, and basketball IQ instead of having the coaches call post-iso plays ad nauseam.
It will be very interesting to see when the next month or so has in store for the program as it concerns transfers coming/leaving and any potential coaching changes that may be made.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
It is funny how YOU commented on my original post, yet somehow I am targeting you :lol: :lol: :lol: Your passive aggressive schtick has grown old.

By the way, I am not the only person that thinks Lecholat and Patterson are legit starters. Another poster responded to your comments right after I did. But most importantly, Sprinkle has started both of these guys for multiple games. He clearly thinks they are good enough to start on the tournament conference champion team. The only guy who hasn’t started is McMahon who is stuck behind Evans - otherwise he would be starting.

And of course your comment “they can hardly hit open shots”is not considered trashing anyone in your Belligerent mindset. It is just your opinion. You would never trash anyone.
I think I’ve found the problem here. We’re watching two completely different teams. I’m fairly certain there’s nobody on the team with the last name Evans, and certainly not a starter.

Fwiw, Patterson shot 34% from deep, almost all his shots are wide open. He doesn’t take contested shots. Lecholat percentage wise is a little better, but in conference games he was quite bad shooting the ball, or maybe it was just the games I watched. Saying they struggled to make open shots isn’t trashing somebody, it’s merely an observation rooted in fact. Unless you think 34% is a good percentage. I don’t. Maybe that’s our difference.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:36 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I think I’ve found the problem here. We’re watching two completely different teams. I’m fairly certain there’s nobody on the team with the last name Evans, and certainly not a starter.

Fwiw, Patterson shot 34% from deep, almost all his shots are wide open. He doesn’t take contested shots. Lecholat percentage wise is a little better, but in conference games he was quite bad shooting the ball, or maybe it was just the games I watched. Saying they struggled to make open shots isn’t trashing somebody, it’s merely an observation rooted in fact. Unless you think 34% is a good percentage. I don’t. Maybe that’s our difference.
I meant he is behind Raequan Battle, not Raequan Evans. Not too many Raequans in the world and I have made that mistake before when talking basketball. But I am guessing you don’t know who Raequan Evans would be anyway.

You should take a look at the Big Sky leaders in 3 point shooting percentage. Not sure why, but they only list three guys for the leaders. The 3rd place guy in the conference shot 38%….

https://bigskyconf.com/stats.aspx?path= ... &conf=true

By the way, Sprinkle had Patterson as a starter for almost all of the season. But of course your huge basketball knowledge clearly is better than Sprinkle. You are a basketball wizard!

And Lecholat does other things that don’t show up in the books. He is probably the best passing forward I have seen at MSU in 20 years. His basketball IQ is high and his hustle is outstanding. He will be a significant part of MSU’s success in the future. So will Patterson and McMahon.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and your standard tearing down of payers, even though you don’t have a clue what you are watching.