New rule change in NFL submitted

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

New rule change in NFL submitted

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:29 am

I don't watch the USFL/ XFL so I don't know about the rule. Come on, is it REALLY necessary?

Eagles propose USFL-XFL style rule change for teams trailing in games

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/eagles-p ... ling-games

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: New rule change in NFL submitted

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 pm

If the trailing team chooses to attempt to retain possession, but fails, they will be awarded “We Tried” stickers after the game. 😂

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 am

The way I'm reading this, the kicking team would have the option of going for the traditional onside kick, or trying the 4th and 20 play. I quite like the idea myself, give the offense the chance to make a play and the defense the chance to make what should be an easy stop instead of leaving it up to which way the football bounces on an onside kick.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am

I feel like it gives too much leverage to the offense. Say they are 17 behind. They drive the field in 13 plays to start the fourth quarter, and the defense is pretty gassed. That 4th and 20 play might not be that easy to stop. If they succeed and score again, then the defense is really worn out. And they can still use 4th and 20 again. It may add “excitement” but it seems like a gimmick to me.

I think the standard flow of a (most likely) change of possession after a score is more fair to both teams. It’s a very successful game — don’t mess it up. Just my opinion.