TRANSFERS/RECRUITING

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: TRANSFERS/RECRUITING

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:30 pm

imacat wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:45 pm
mslacat wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:31 pm
Kiree Huie, from Odessa JC, is a great pick-up for the program. I am not sure he could have found a better Big man from the JC ranks. At 6-10 (as currently listed on Odessa's roster) and with very good athleticism we just don't find many big men like him in the Big Sky. Huei is leading the team in points (12.1/per game), rebounds (6.5/ per game), blocks (2/per game), shooting percentage (65.2), and minutes played (21.2 /per game). By the way all those stats have improved since the conference season started. Huei was ranked by JucoRecruiting.com as the #24 ranked junior college prospect in the nation. Odessa JC is a national power in the JC ranks having won numerous national championships and currently ranked #3 in the nation (they have been #1 for most of the season). It is not uncommon for Odessa to place 7-10 players a year with D-1 schools. This year their roster is deep with 10 players getting double-digit minutes.
https://www.wranglersports.com/sports/m ... kiree_ww0a
BTW The link above is for Huie's freshman season. Below is his current Bio
https://www.wranglersports.com/sports/m ... kiree_nxp1

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:53 am

Browsing high school scores this morning and I noticed a Taylee Chirrick scored 51 points yesterday for Roberts HS. With some further browsing, she isn’t some regular class C player who happened to explode one night, but an all state AA transfer from Billings West and state champion trackster. Also, she was a member of a national champion AAU last summer that included top prospect Breanna Williams of Billings Skyview as well as Jamison Philip of Ellensburg WA (Dylan Philip’s little sister):

https://www.kulr8.com/sports/high-schoo ... 10380.html

I would hope the Cats are recruiting all three of them, but my question is does anybody know why Chirrick would transfer from AA to C in the middle of her junior year? It’s usually the other direction (smaller to larger class) to gain more competition and exposure. Also, if her family moved to Roberts, couldn’t she still play for West as it’s less than an hour drive? Just curious if anybody has a back story on this.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:35 pm

I have some hearsay. I believe her younger sister is a freshman (also at Roberts). The younger sister did not make varsity as a freshman at BW (as apparently Taylee did) so the parents decided to transfer. I also heard they have some sort of a place on Cooney, thus Roberts.

Take this with a big grain of salt as it is strictly hearsay and there is likely more to the story.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:24 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:15 pm

Anymore recruiting going on out there? Danny is going to have some spots to fill I feel this next spring and a scorer is going to be one of them. I haven't seen any of the other guys who can create shots besides the ones we will most likely lose once the season is over.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:05 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:15 pm
Anymore recruiting going on out there? Danny is going to have some spots to fill I feel this next spring and a scorer is going to be one of them. I haven't seen any of the other guys who can create shots besides the ones we will most likely lose once the season is over.
We have 2 seniors, Belo and Fuller so Sprinkle will have those two scholarships to fill. Based on what limited information I have seen online it appears that the coaches have been looking hard at a big man who can contribute right away and a wing/shooting guard type. Sprinkle received a commitment from a JC center Kiree Huie from #2 ranked Odessa JC who fills one of those spots, which leaves one scholarship to fill. That said typically every year we lose 1 or 2 players to transfer so we could see a few more scholarships open if this happens. I would expect though Sprinkle would look to fill a transfer scholarship with an incoming transfer. The incoming transfer will depend on who leaves and who the best transfer available are.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:12 pm

I am really nervous we are going to lose some quality guys. I would suspect we lose the two graduates as well as 2 to 3 guys. I also have a feeling its going to be atleast one of the starters moving on as well. This will be the true test for Danny to bring in another big scorer to soak up the shots that we are going to need from a scorer next year. GO CATS!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:53 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:12 pm
I am really nervous we are going to lose some quality guys. I would suspect we lose the two graduates as well as 2 to 3 guys. I also have a feeling its going to be atleast one of the starters moving on as well. This will be the true test for Danny to bring in another big scorer to soak up the shots that we are going to need from a scorer next year. GO CATS!
Do you have any particular reason to be nervous, or is it just the nature of the transfer portal these making increased player movement far easier? Brown, Ford, and Battle seem pretty much locked in as they've already transferred once and would need to sit out a year to transfer again unless any of them will graduate this year. I can see Osobor getting some interest if he decided to transfer, although he'll be in line for a monster year if he stays taking over for Belo as the #1 post player. It won't be surprising to see a couple departures from the back end of the roster. Perhaps Gazelas as his role has greatly declined this year, or Germer who hasn't been able to break into the rotation like the other redshirt freshmen he came in with.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:01 pm

I just have a feeling :( I would bet we lose one starter. I think atleast one with germer maybe being one and maybe one more. I think the others may make a decsion on who Danny brings in and also who knows if Danny will be around.

quote=MSU01 post_id=818292 time=1677261214 user_id=50]
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:12 pm
Do you have any particular reason to be nervous, or is it just the nature of the transfer portal these making increased player movement far easier? Brown, Ford, and Battle seem pretty much locked in as they've already transferred once and would need to sit out a year to transfer again unless any of them will graduate this year. I can see Osobor getting some interest if he decided to transfer, although he'll be in line for a monster year if he stays taking over for Belo as the #1 post player. It won't be surprising to see a couple departures from the back end of the roster. Perhaps Gazelas as his role has greatly declined this year, or Germer who hasn't been able to break into the rotation like the other redshirt freshmen he came in with.
[/quote]

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:59 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:05 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
We have 2 seniors, Belo and Fuller so Sprinkle will have those two scholarships to fill. Based on what limited information I have seen online it appears that the coaches have been looking hard at a big man who can contribute right away and a wing/shooting guard type. Sprinkle received a commitment from a JC center Kiree Huie from #2 ranked Odessa JC who fills one of those spots, which leaves one scholarship to fill. That said typically every year we lose 1 or 2 players to transfer so we could see a few more scholarships open if this happens. I would expect though Sprinkle would look to fill a transfer scholarship with an incoming transfer. The incoming transfer will depend on who leaves and who the best transfer available are.
Huie sounds like a great get. However, their site lists him at 6'9" and 210 pounds. If he's gonna bang down low in the key in the BSC, he better hit the gym and have a few cheeseburgers before he gets here....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 am
mslacat wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:05 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Huie sounds like a great get. However, their site lists him at 6'9" and 210 pounds. If he's gonna bang down low in the key in the BSC, he better hit the gym and have a few cheeseburgers before he gets here....
Huie is not Belo. Remember though Belo averaged 2 pts and 2 rebounds during his true Freshman year - before his injury. The Bobcats offered and got a commitment from him before his (medical redshirt) freshman year him. It was a HUGE gamble that paid off. My point is we fans never know what you have until he gets here. Huie is an athletic top-notch shot blocker, shoots an incredibly high FG %, and is a pretty good rebounder. We don't need him to be the next Belo, especially with Great Osobor coming back. We need him to be solid. Besides, I think Al Beye proved that sometimes athletic skinny guys can get it done in the Big Sky. Have faith

BTW - If you think Belo is truly 6-9 grab a tape measure.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:36 pm

With some of the centers we have in the BSC, (Weber, NAU, Sac, PSU, ETC.) I would hope that Huie has put some weight on.

2024 Resume dominance

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:52 pm

Julius Mims - North Idaho College by way of Billings Skyview. I think the Cats might be going after him hard.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:16 pm

lv2hoop wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:52 pm
Julius Mims - North Idaho College by way of Billings Skyview. I think the Cats might be going after him hard.

I watched him at skyview. He had great athletic ability. Love to see him make the cats. He would be a great backup for Battle.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:25 pm

We need a sixth man that can bring instant offense.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:12 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:16 pm
lv2hoop wrote:

I watched him at skyview. He had great athletic ability. Love to see him make the cats. He would be a great backup for Battle.
Unless he’s improved his attitude, he’s a major risk. He loved to run his mouth! Talent takes you as far as character and character matters far more. He’s a major liability. Tis why he wasn’t signed on the D1 level at the start.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 pm

HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:12 pm
BobCatFan wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:16 pm
lv2hoop wrote:

Unless he’s improved his attitude, he’s a major risk. He loved to run his mouth! Talent takes you as far as character and character matters far more. He’s a major liability. Tis why he wasn’t signed on the D1 level at the start.
Correct.

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:23 pm

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:38 am

I tweeted yesterday that it appears that New Hampshire transfer 6-6 forward Clarence Daniels II took an official visit to Montana State. Daniels averaged 15.3 points 10.7 rebounds 44%fg and 39.5% 3fg (81 total attempts) last season for New Hampshire. He has also visited Umass & New Mexico. Daniels was named to Amercian East all-conference first team, He was also named the A.E. newcomer of the year. Those of you in Billings may find his name familiar, as he played for MSU-B in the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. Transferred to Lake Region CC in North Dakota for one year before signing with New Hampshire where he played this past season. Daniels would have one year of eligibility remaining if he signed with the Bobcats.

Interesting note: After I tweeted about Daniel's visit to Montana State Bobcat commit 6-10 Kiree Huie liked and then retweeted my original tweet. I checked to see if I could see a connection between the two (JC, High school, or AAU team) but could not find any. My guess (and I mean pure guess) is that may have both visited at the same time.