The official-Unofficial Bobcat-Oregon State gameday thread!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: The official-Unofficial Bobcat-Oregon State gameday thread!

Post by technoCat » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:56 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:48 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm
ragucat wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:31 pm
I don't think it is naive thinking the coach may know more than many of the pundits who only speculate. If the coach thought Elliot provided a better option by running the ball he would be running the ball.
I think pretty much everyone agrees with that.

Its just that the exact same coaches thought that Elliot was a serviceable backup last year. Every single fan who watched a Bobcat game last year thought Elliot was a serviceable backup.

But somewhere between January and September, Elliot has transformed into "too terrible to be trusted with the ball".

Thats pretty strange & I think people are curious as to why Elliot got so much worse at playing football in the last 9 months.
I'm not sure that's true. Elliott was available last year vs SDSU in the semis with Isaiah out, yet it was Mellott carrying the ball 34 times. Elliott had 6 carries for 21 yards. There isn't anything that changed in the last 9 months.
Agree, and further.... we did not have Sean Chambers to run the rock. I'm not sure why some people think there's some big conspiracy and can't accept that Tommy Mellott and Sean Chambers are both better ball carriers than Elliot.
Gee what happened on the first drive of the next game after Mellott ran the ball 34 times... oh but we are expected to believe he will take the pounding all this year. My problem is that this reminds me a bit too much of a different coach not long ago that would run players into the ground instead of giving someone lower on the depth chart a chance. Elliot has looked more than serviceable in his few carries this year. If Vigen thinks that using his two QBs and some WRs is good enough for the entire run scheme that is fine but then he will be answering the questions when/if someone goes down. He doesn't have to answer them but we damn sure spend enough money and energy on this program to feel "entitled" to ask them.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:56 pm
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ragucat wrote:
I don't think it is naive thinking the coach may know more than many of the pundits who only speculate. If the coach thought Elliot provided a better option by running the ball he would be running the ball.

Its just that the exact same coaches thought that Elliot was a serviceable backup last year. Every single fan who watched a Bobcat game last year thought Elliot was a serviceable backup.

But somewhere between January and September, Elliot has transformed into "too terrible to be trusted with the ball".

Thats pretty strange & I think people are curious as to why Elliot got so much worse at playing football in the last 9 months.
I'm not sure that's true. Elliott was available last year vs SDSU in the semis with Isaiah out, yet it was Mellott carrying the ball 34 times. Elliott had 6 carries for 21 yards. There isn't anything that changed in the last 9 months.
Agree, and further.... we did not have Sean Chambers to run the rock. I'm not sure why some people think there's some big conspiracy and can't accept that Tommy Mellott and Sean Chambers are both better ball carriers than Elliot.
Gee what happened on the first drive of the next game after Mellott ran the ball 34 times... oh but we are expected to believe he will take the pounding all this year. My problem is that this reminds me a bit too much of a different coach not long ago that would run players into the ground instead of giving someone lower on the depth chart a chance. Elliot has looked more than serviceable in his few carries this year. If Vigen thinks that using his two QBs and some WRs is good enough for the entire run scheme that is fine but then he will be answering the questions when/if someone goes down. He doesn't have to answer them but we damn sure spend enough money and energy on this program to feel "entitled" to ask them.
Hey, I'm with ya... I hold my breath every time Tommy runs the ball and obviously we all hope he can stay healthy. I also don't think there will be a game where he runs the ball anywhere near where he did last year vs SDSU. I just think the coaches feel that getting yards on the ground via Tommy and Sean currently gives us the best chance to win, until we get an RB back that is as good as them at running the rock.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:14 am

technoCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ragucat wrote:

By this logic I’d think you would be complaining about running backs running the ball too much. They’re the ones getting injured after all. Reminds me of the current use of pitchers. They can only throw so many pitches, now quarterbacks can only run so many times. There may be a finite number of times a pitcher can throw or a runner can, but no one knows what it is until it happens.

Fran Tarkenton was a running/scrambling quarterback from college through his 18(?) year career. I don’t think he got hurt until his 17th season. Bo Jackson played what, three years?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:46 pm
I was impressed with the OL.
We're done in by team speed defensively (and scored 28 offensively which was pretty good).
21 on offense. Return TD doesn’t count.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:14 am
technoCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ragucat wrote:

By this logic I’d think you would be complaining about running backs running the ball too much. They’re the ones getting injured after all. Reminds me of the current use of pitchers. They can only throw so many pitches, now quarterbacks can only run so many times. There may be a finite number of times a pitcher can throw or a runner can, but no one knows what it is until it happens.

Fran Tarkenton was a running/scrambling quarterback from college through his 18(?) year career. I don’t think he got hurt until his 17th season. Bo Jackson played what, three years?
People were complaining about the workload of Ifanse last year and for good reason. He was already dinged up and the final carry of the SHSU game hurt him even more. He didn't need to be in the game at that time and now whos knows when hell be back. Vigen claimed he learned his lesson with Ifanse in the pre-season but he came out and ran Sumner 24 times against Mcneese, Tommy 18 times. White got 7 carries in that game. Tommy had 18 more carries against OSU, the RBs had 2. I get we are super thin at RB but it still doesn't seem Vigen actually learned his lesson with Ifanse.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:01 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:09 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:05 pm
When did coach or anyone else say Elliot sucks? Man I missed a bunch this week!
The whole narrative for why Elliott hasn't touched the ball is he's buried in the depth chart (we have no one left) and the coaches don't trust him(ok, weird) but don't question this, because then your a fanboy. There, you're caught up.
I’m wondering why you’re being called a “fanboy” for asking why a productive freshman RB from last season is getting almost no carries in a lost-cause game when the RB room is decimated by injuries.

It’s a legitimate question and Vigen’s answer was evasive at best.

Is the idea to run Mellott and Chambers until Ifanse and Sumner are healthy? That game was a blowout and Elijah should have been getting some of those attempts based on how he played last season. He’s a scholarship player and it just doesn’t make sense to me why Tommy was taking hits when the game was obviously over.

What a ride

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:15 am

Here is my conspiracy theory as an armchair coach. I believe that just maybe there is a long term plan for a long playoff run???? What if Isaiah Ifanse never sees the field this year? What if Lane Sumner is not healthy enough to return until the end of October? What if Garrett Coon is still a couple of games away and as an unproven commodity I have no idea what kind of production he can give us. Tommy is TOMMY and will play his way until he graduates or retires. The minute Tommy quits playing like TOMMY is probably when he gets hurt for real. Tommy had 3 weeks to heal up before NDSU. It was an injury that happens all the time and has nothing to do with how many carries he had against SDSU. If Tommy went out with a shoulder or hamstring injury my thoughts would be different.

If Elliot goes down the next 5 games we will be in even worse shape. I personally would not run Elliot very much until I absolutely had to.. just saying

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 am

Marana CAT wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:15 am
Here is my conspiracy theory as an armchair coach. I believe that just maybe there is a long term plan for a long playoff run???? What if Isaiah Ifanse never sees the field this year? What if Lane Sumner is not healthy enough to return until the end of October? What if Garrett Coon is still a couple of games away and as an unproven commodity I have no idea what kind of production he can give us. Tommy is TOMMY and will play his way until he graduates or retires. The minute Tommy quits playing like TOMMY is probably when he gets hurt for real. Tommy had 3 weeks to heal up before NDSU. It was an injury that happens all the time and has nothing to do with how many carries he had against SDSU. If Tommy went out with a shoulder or hamstring injury my thoughts would be different.

If Elliot goes down the next 5 games we will be in even worse shape. I personally would not run Elliot very much until I absolutely had to.. just saying
Not really understanding this POV. Are you saying QB1/QB2 Tommy and Sean should get more carries in a blow-out loss so the 5th-string RB doesn’t get hurt?

What a ride

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:23 am

PapaG wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 am
Marana CAT wrote:

Not really understanding this POV. Are you saying Tommy and Sean should get more carries in a blow-out loss so the 5th-string RB doesn’t get hurt?
Nope just putting out an uneducated theory of what the MSU coaching staff might be looking at. If you lose your 5th string and only RB left in mop up duty against OSU last weekend I can’t imagine what this dumpster fire would look like. What if’s???????

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:31 am

Marana CAT wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:23 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 am
Marana CAT wrote:

Not really understanding this POV. Are you saying Tommy and Sean should get more carries in a blow-out loss so the 5th-string RB doesn’t get hurt?
Nope just putting out an uneducated theory of what the MSU coaching staff might be looking at. If you lose your 5th string and only RB left in mop up duty against OSU last weekend I can’t imagine what this dumpster fire would look like. What if’s???????
Fair point. Speculation is what forums are about!

What a ride

RockyBearCat

Post by RockyBearCat » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:28 am

Maybe he put on too much weight which slowed him down. Maybe he is having issues with ball security. If that was the case, would you like the coach to go on the internet and say it? I don't. Either of those would fit in "Mellot and Chambers are our best running the ball."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:53 am

RockyBearCat wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:28 am
Maybe he put on too much weight which slowed him down. Maybe he is having issues with ball security. If that was the case, would you like the coach to go on the internet and say it? I don't. Either of those would fit in "Mellot and Chambers are our best running the ball."
Lane and Tommy have fumbled in game so you would think he would let him roll until he did. Hell Williams carried twice and fumbled.

We aren't asking why Elliot isn't the focal point of our offense. We just want to see more carries spread around so we can hopefully keep who we have left healthy.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:15 am

technoCat wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:53 am
RockyBearCat wrote:
Lane and Tommy have fumbled in game so you would think he would let him roll until he did. Hell Williams carried twice and fumbled.

We aren't asking why Elliot isn't the focal point of our offense. We just want to see more carries spread around so we can hopefully keep who we have left healthy.
He is what we have left that is healthy. Pretty we don’t want to go into conference play with Zero listed RB’s. Elliot should stay extremely limited until we absolutely need him or other running backs come back. It’s that simple.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:23 am

RockyBearCat wrote:
Great point!! Yet some fans feel so entitled to the “inside” information that they call the coach a liar.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:34 am

I think what I am most excited about for the game Saturday is we get to put this OSU gameday thread to bed! :lol:

We got our asses handed to us. Team has moved on. Fans hopefully do the same. Season starts in two days! \:D/

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:58 am

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:29 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 am
Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:46 pm
I was impressed with the OL.
We're done in by team speed defensively (and scored 28 offensively which was pretty good).
21 on offense. Return TD doesn’t count.
Ok, fair point. I’ll predict AT LEAST one special yeams TD. Probably KR or PR for TD. \:D/

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:27 pm

onceacat wrote:
ragucat wrote:

Elliot was used a lot less as the year went on last year.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:54 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:27 pm
onceacat wrote:
ragucat wrote:

Elliot was used a lot less as the year went on last year.
Without looking at the infamous item known as "stats," and if memory serves correct, the last four games the Cats played last year there was a fourth string quarterback starting and until his significant injury, Mr. Ifanse was carrying the team. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Papa, STFU. Everyone here knows what kind of dipsy doodle air raid ****** offense you want to see and until the entire football culture at MSU changes, this school's football team is going to play smash mouth football. And yes, I'd rather abandon the RPO offense for the triple option or more diamond formations, but I'm not involved in any shape or form with the athletic department. I personally love watching ball control and great clock management on the part of the team and the coaching staff. I could give a rat's arse about all the stats except the scoreboard.

Also, to address why a certain player is not getting more reps: he's recovering from a lower leg injury. Besides, how many here actually thought the Cats could go to Oregon and beat OSU? Seriously. All those secondary issues are being corrected as I type my worthless two cents worth in a sports chat room.

Go back, as UTUCATS has done, and look at your stupid ass posts. Then, go back and listen to all of Coach Vigen's media statements. He said after the first game the kid is injured. We've got a Butte kid playing quarterback again! How many other AA kids would even be out on the field after the injury he had in the National Championship game? None. We're going to replicate NDSU whether all you air raid dipsy doodle ****** football fans like it or not. That's why Coach Vigen is here.

*Edit: Of special consideration when you take the time to review and reflect upon what you posted earlier, take a gander as to which units you had concerns about and what all you Sunday Morning Armchair Quarterbacks proclaimed were the strengths and what your main concerns were going into this season. Pay close attention to what the thoughts were by virtually all of you concerning the OL and some, the DL. WHAT DID ALL YOU SAY WAS THE STRENGTH?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:17 pm

That's a lot to take in! :lol:

Coming in I thought our weaknesses would be OL and DL to an extent

I thought WR's were deep but untested.

I felt great about QB and RB

Liked the depth of the secondary.

But that's just speaking for myself and not the entire board. :wink: