So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:24 pm

Any chance we can be let out of timeout and get back the Discussing the Issues forum? Some topics that I would love to discuss with other Bobcats:

Ukraine
Inflation
Florida law on sex education



User avatar
coloradocat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

User avatar
The Butcher
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4185
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:19 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:24 pm
Any chance we can be let out of timeout and get back the Discussing the Issues forum? Some topics that I would love to discuss with other Bobcats:

Ukraine
Inflation
Florida law on sex education
I can summarize for you-one side will say it is ‘all Biden's fault’ and the other side will say ‘it isn't Biden's fault’. Discussion over.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:00 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:19 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:24 pm
Any chance we can be let out of timeout and get back the Discussing the Issues forum? Some topics that I would love to discuss with other Bobcats:

Ukraine
Inflation
Florida law on sex education
I can summarize for you-one side will say it is ‘all Biden's fault’ and the other side will say ‘it isn't Biden's fault’. Discussion over.
I am just surprised that you didn’t blame Trump. But your response is exactly why we don’t have the DTI forum. You turn everything into a political argument.

What really sucks is that your close minded retort is why we don’t have that forum right now. There are multiple reasons to discuss such topics that have an impact on our society. For example, this morning on the Today show, they start out discussing the “don’t say gay” law in Florida. The “don’t say gay” label is one of the most blatant manipulations of the facts I have ever seen. The law simply states that sex education will not be taught in grades K to 3. That has somehow been translated into “don’t say gay”. I thought having a forum to discuss the issues with fellow MSU graduates was a good thing. But guys like the poster above aren’t interested in real discussion. They just want to turn it into a political argument.



User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8702
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am

The sun coming up in the east seems to be political anymore. And I don't know if the sun's recent activity is Trump's or Bidens fault.


Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7374
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am
The sun coming up in the east seems to be political anymore. And I don't know if the sun's recent activity is Trump's or Bidens fault.
About the only issue I can think of that isn't political is the sunrise and sunset...


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

User avatar
coloradocat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:11 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am
The sun coming up in the east seems to be political anymore. And I don't know if the sun's recent activity is Trump's or Bidens fault.
About the only issue I can think of that isn't political is the sunrise and sunset...
Let me introduce you to Daylight Savings Time.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7374
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:43 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:11 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am
The sun coming up in the east seems to be political anymore. And I don't know if the sun's recent activity is Trump's or Bidens fault.
About the only issue I can think of that isn't political is the sunrise and sunset...
Let me introduce you to Daylight Savings Time.
Well stated :D :D =D^ =D^


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 9607
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by kmax » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:51 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:11 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am
The sun coming up in the east seems to be political anymore. And I don't know if the sun's recent activity is Trump's or Bidens fault.
About the only issue I can think of that isn't political is the sunrise and sunset...
Let me introduce you to Daylight Savings Time.
Read that comment and immediately thought the same thing. :lol: :roll:

But in response to the original enquiry that brought this thread back up, I would like to thank all of the subsequent posters for answering that one for me. =D^ :wink:


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
The Butcher
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4185
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:39 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:51 am
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:11 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am
The sun coming up in the east seems to be political anymore. And I don't know if the sun's recent activity is Trump's or Bidens fault.
About the only issue I can think of that isn't political is the sunrise and sunset...
Let me introduce you to Daylight Savings Time.
Read that comment and immediately thought the same thing. :lol: :roll:

But in response to the original enquiry that brought this thread back up, I would like to thank all of the subsequent posters for answering that one for me. =D^ :wink:
Image



Rich K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5008
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Rich K » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 am

Topics like this would be proper in the discussing the issues forum but not proper elsewhere.


Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7758
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:40 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 am
Topics like this would be proper in the discussing the issues forum but not proper elsewhere.
Maybe, just maybe, topics like this should be discussed elsewhere than on a message board devoted to college athletics.

This board is way more fun to be a part of after the Discussing the Issues forum went away and people (for the most part) stopped carrying over their disagreements there into the sports boards to derail completely unrelated threads with personal bickering and insults.



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 9607
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by kmax » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:56 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:40 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 am
Topics like this would be proper in the discussing the issues forum but not proper elsewhere.
Maybe, just maybe, topics like this should be discussed elsewhere than on a message board devoted to college athletics.

This board is way more fun to be a part of after the Discussing the Issues forum went away and people (for the most part) stopped carrying over their disagreements there into the sports boards to derail completely unrelated threads with personal bickering and insults.
Image


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12215
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm

There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?



User avatar
coloradocat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSUcats/

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:26 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSUcats/

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.
If your definition of “generally” is 95%, that would be a viable option. I guess that I could discuss such important topics facing the world as the size of a dorm room, Bridger vs Big Sky, which dorm is the best, how to register for classes, etc….

I don’t get it. You are not forced to read a thread. If you don’t enjoy the content, don’t go there. BN members seem well educated, connected to our school and successful. Seems like a pretty good group to engage in discussion. There are passionate subjects that we can carried away with, but I would be interested to hear perspectives on Ukraine, inflation and the upcoming mid-terms. All of these are having a dramatic impact on Montanans.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13655
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:26 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSUcats/

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.
If your definition of “generally” is 95%, that would be a viable option. I guess that I could discuss such important topics facing the world as the size of a dorm room, Bridger vs Big Sky, which dorm is the best, how to register for classes, etc….

I don’t get it. You are not forced to read a thread. If you don’t enjoy the content, don’t go there. BN members seem well educated, connected to our school and successful. Seems like a pretty good group to engage in discussion. There are passionate subjects that we can carried away with, but I would be interested to hear perspectives on Ukraine, inflation and the upcoming mid-terms. All of these are having a dramatic impact on Montanans.
I generally agree, however, over the past couple years that forum really devolved into personal cheap shots, name calling, pissing contests, settling vendettas, etc. That B.S. completely engulfed the "engaging in discussion" crowd.

Obviously I enjoyed that forum, but I don't blame the mods for not wanting to babysit some of the childish antics that were going on in there. It's their website, they can do whatever they want.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:25 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:26 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSUcats/

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.
If your definition of “generally” is 95%, that would be a viable option. I guess that I could discuss such important topics facing the world as the size of a dorm room, Bridger vs Big Sky, which dorm is the best, how to register for classes, etc….

I don’t get it. You are not forced to read a thread. If you don’t enjoy the content, don’t go there. BN members seem well educated, connected to our school and successful. Seems like a pretty good group to engage in discussion. There are passionate subjects that we can carried away with, but I would be interested to hear perspectives on Ukraine, inflation and the upcoming mid-terms. All of these are having a dramatic impact on Montanans.
I generally agree, however, over the past couple years that forum really devolved into personal cheap shots, name calling, pissing contests, settling vendettas, etc. That B.S. completely engulfed the "engaging in discussion" crowd.

Obviously I enjoyed that forum, but I don't blame the mods for not wanting to babysit some of the childish antics that were going on in there. It's their website, they can do whatever they want.
No question that I have been on the receiving end and I am also guilty of retaliating. Heck, I have been called a racist even though I am a minority. But quite frankly, the cheap shots, name calling, etc, happens everyday in the football section. And besides, multiple users have offered to moderate a discussion section.



User avatar
coloradocat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:25 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:26 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSUcats/

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.
If your definition of “generally” is 95%, that would be a viable option. I guess that I could discuss such important topics facing the world as the size of a dorm room, Bridger vs Big Sky, which dorm is the best, how to register for classes, etc….

I don’t get it. You are not forced to read a thread. If you don’t enjoy the content, don’t go there. BN members seem well educated, connected to our school and successful. Seems like a pretty good group to engage in discussion. There are passionate subjects that we can carried away with, but I would be interested to hear perspectives on Ukraine, inflation and the upcoming mid-terms. All of these are having a dramatic impact on Montanans.
I generally agree, however, over the past couple years that forum really devolved into personal cheap shots, name calling, pissing contests, settling vendettas, etc. That B.S. completely engulfed the "engaging in discussion" crowd.

Obviously I enjoyed that forum, but I don't blame the mods for not wanting to babysit some of the childish antics that were going on in there. It's their website, they can do whatever they want.
No question that I have been on the receiving end and I am also guilty of retaliating. Heck, I have been called a racist even though I am a minority. But quite frankly, the cheap shots, name calling, etc, happens everyday in the football section. And besides, multiple users have offered to moderate a discussion section.
:lol: :roll: :lol:

I think the issue is that at the end there wasn't much "Discussing the Issues" going on. It was mostly just both sides yelling their talking points / propaganda back and forth. Yes, that would happen on any hosting site, but that doesn't mean in needs to happen here. I think a Facebook page or an alumni-based subreddit would be more appropriate. Just because some people get their feelings hurt in the football section from time to time and some people adopt a harsh internet personality isn't an excuse to bring back non-sports/MSU/Montana related politics to the forum. A different website is a more appropriate place to yell/debate the differences between "protests", "riots", "insurrections", etc.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Post Reply