Willie Mack Garza named DC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Willie Mack Garza named DC

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 pm
So what the story with Garza? His “past issues” got brought up a bunch...
A DUI at Wyoming and he illegally purchased an airline ticket for a prospect's unofficial visit to Tennessee and misled NCAA enforcement when questioned about it.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
A DUI at Wyoming and he illegally purchased an airline ticket for a prospect's unofficial visit to Tennessee and misled NCAA enforcement when questioned about it.
Well if it's not stealing a gun at a strip club he's clearly not qualified.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
And a second DUI at a stint prior to Wyoming unfortunately. He’s definitely had some mishaps.
https://www.myplainview.com/news/articl ... 009315.php

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 am

Welcome to Montana State coach Garza. I'm damn glad to have you here. Go Cats!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 am

“I want to make this abundantly clear…”

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:49 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 pm
AFCAT wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Well if it's not stealing a gun at a strip club he's clearly not qualified.
That all depends on where the stripper had the gun concealed at the time of the robbery.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
This is the Tennessee story …

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... -seastrunk

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:05 pm

Definitely some issues in his past. Clearly coach thinks he can be managed, as i can't imagine Leon or president cruzado having any desire to interrupt the basically 15 scandal-free years of post-kramer bliss. Bears watching, but if he can keep his nose clean i think we'll love the hire on the field. You can tell Vigen thinks the world of this guy's defensive mind and his ability to coach.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:09 pm

He’s a great coach. So good I’ve already forgotten what the last guy’s name was. If he slips up he’ll be gone faster than a Nolan Ryan fastball with a 100 mph tailwind.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 am
“I want to make this abundantly clear…”
Coach must’ve been reading BN.com.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:05 pm
Definitely some issues in his past. Clearly coach thinks he can be managed, as i can't imagine Leon or president cruzado having any desire to interrupt the basically 15 scandal-free years of post-kramer bliss. Bears watching, but if he can keep his nose clean i think we'll love the hire on the field. You can tell Vigen thinks the world of this guy's defensive mind and his ability to coach.
Almost scandal free...a drug deal gone bad in the early Choate era and some DUIs.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:07 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Almost scandal free...a drug deal gone bad in the early Choate era and some DUIs.
All players though, right? They're just kids so things are bound to happen. I'd think the bigger concern for administration is adults getting into trouble. I trust Vigen will make sure that doesn't happen.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:24 pm

This looks like a great hire. And you can bet Vigen doesn't think he needs to "keep an eye on" or "manage" Garza. A smart HC like Vigen never hires a problem.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:24 pm
This looks like a great hire. And you can bet Vigen doesn't think he needs to "keep an eye on" or "manage" Garza. A smart HC like Vigen never hires a problem.
Good point, and there really wouldn't be a reason to take an unnecessary risk. I'm sure he wasn't the only guy interested that knows this defense.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:07 pm
AFCAT wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
All players though, right? They're just kids so things are bound to happen. I'd think the bigger concern for administration is adults getting into trouble. I trust Vigen will make sure that doesn't happen.
I thought the players was what he was referring to during the Kramer years.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:19 pm

Ahhh the message board fodder...

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:34 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:17 pm
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I remember some coaches getting in trouble back in the day but don't remember if that was under Ash or Kramer.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:38 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:34 pm
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I remember some coaches getting in trouble back in the day but don't remember if that was under Ash or Kramer.
I mean...why do you think Ash was brought to MSU? One of Kramer's coaches literally dealt meth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:27 am

AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I was referring to both players and the Joe obrien debacle. And yes, there was a fight downtown with roger trammell when ash was coach, the drug deal thing with a player early in choate's time, but mostly the program has been really good at generating positive headlines since the Kramer era, where you had obrien, rick Gatewood, then of course the drug ring with lebrum, sullivan, miller from MBB that wound up with the murder. Yikes. Just typing that out kind of clarifies my initial point.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:54 am

Make good friends with the media and you get a lot more positive headlines than if you don’t.