WBB vs. NAU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

WBB vs. NAU

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:21 pm

Tough game tonight for the Lady Bobcats. Face NAU who sits third in the conference at 4-1 behind SUU at 5-0 and Idaho State at 6-1. Idaho State only loss in conference play was to NAU in OT.

I predicted NAU to win the conference last year but you might remember they lost 4 starters before the season and were not the same team. This year:

- Rasheed looks to be healthy after being hampered by a nagging injury all of last season. She is on the list as pre-season pick to be Big Sky MVP. She was 1st team Big Sky two years ago before her injury.
- Radford was Big Sky newcomer of the year two years ago and sat all last year due to injury. She returns this year with a vengeance. Currently shooting 48% from the arc….that is not a misprint…26 of 54 from the arc!!
-Rodabaugh who did a great job rising to the occasion last year with all the injuries to her teammates is not far behind shooting over 46% from the arc…again that is not a misprint..
- Schench was 2nd team all Big Sky last year and returns having a good season so far.
- Orndorf who was a starter two years ago opted not to play last year due to Covid (she had a collapsed lung as a sophomore and did not want to risk playing pre-vaccine). She has returned to the court but has not reached her shooting potential from a couple years ago. But a senior contributor.
- I can’t say anything about other new team members but I know they have at least one drop down guard.

Payne from Havre is the coach and I continue to think she is building this program to be a top tier competitor in Big Sky. A victory tonight would be a very good sign the Lady Bobcats are coming together at the right time. We do know NAU is coming off Covid protocol also so we don’t know how their stamina is now…but they have 3 games in 5 days….I wished we were playing them last.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:32 pm

And the elevation in Bozeman doesn’t bother them! 😀

I didn’t know, watching our first 10 games, how we were as formidable as we were last year, and only being down one (very good) starter. Now I’m starting to see the team that we were and can be. The Idaho game gave me some hope. We do need to clamp down on the opponent’s three-point shooting. I’ve been watching closely, and one position group is straying so far from their assignment (to “help” I guess) that they have no chance of denying the shooter, and little chance of having a “close out” that really pressures the shooter. The NAU shooters are the real deal, and if we give up 15 threes as we did to Idaho the result may well not be favorable. I’d like to see more denial, make them run more if they want to find a shot. It’s much more difficult for the shooter to be on balance and in rhythm when they are having to come off screens. 💙 💛 😺

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 pm

Cats win 88-73 and at least in these last two games are starting to look like themselves again. Really really great to see Kola playing so well! PSU on Saturday up next who are winless in conference play so far and lost by 40 to UM tonight.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:08 pm

Fun game to watch. NAU has players and they play hard. Cats are playing so much better as a team. They still have a lot of room to grow and get better which puts their ceiling pretty high.

Cat gris on Monday is going to be an epic battle I think.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 pm

Wonderful to watch the ladies tonight. They are looking like the team we expected to see at the start of the season. Many very nice performances by several players.

I hope we can rest the starters and let Ava, McKenzie, and Mia get a bunch of playing time on Saturday.

I know it’s part of another thread but we need to get attendance up for the ladies. It would be absolutely unacceptable to have a crowd like that on Monday. I’m going to get 3 of my neighbors to go to Cat-Griz WBB on Monday if I have to put ‘em in the back of my pickup and hall em there and buy em a ticket.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 pm

Dare I say it??? The team is ratcheting up the cool factor. I'm starting to see a little bit of swagger. They sure look like they're having fun out there. Look out Big Sky Conference!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 pm

Do not miss an opportunity to watch her play basketball.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 pm
Dare I say it??? The team is ratcheting up the cool factor. I'm starting to see a little bit of swagger. They sure look like they're having fun out there. Look out Big Sky Conference!
I loved watching Leia Beattie, near the end if the game, refuse to let one of the NAU hooligans walk through her. That team played like the Idaho of yesteryear — no rules. So happy to see our team not crack from the excessive fouling that was going on. Afraid their player had gotten really injured when Madison landed right on her head after she took out Madison’s legs.

Good team effort tonight. First star of the game, Kola Bad Bear. Second star, Leia Beattie. Third star, Taylor Janssen. Sorry, it reminded me of hockey. Defensive star Katelyn Limardo. Record breaker of the game, Darian White with 1,000 points. Coach of the game, Blaire Braxton for getting on the court at halftime and helping Kola with her footwork for her left-handed move. Entertainer of the game, Kola for turning her footwork exercise into a dance. Entertaining game. Good win.
💙 💛 😺

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 am

How great it is to see the “rebirth” of this team and how fun it is to watch them play again! A healthy MadJack brings so much electricity to their play. It is nice to see the development of Janssen from mostly a perimeter player to becoming a force down low with her height and she has been making some nifty passes. If these last two games are an indicator, Binford may have finally settled on a nine player rotation which bodes well for continued success. Also, good to see newbie Grace Beasley involved on the bench in her civvies.

What’s up with the teams not lining up for the post game handshakes? Is there some bad blood going on?

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 am

Given the number of game cancellations, I'm guessing its an attempt to limit covid spread.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:20 am

I admit, I don't watch WBB much.

But watching that game last night was really fun - makes you feel proud to be a Bobcat!

I'm surprised we've kept coach Bin as long as we have - she is a fantastic coach, and I hope she stays in Bozeman until she's ready to retire.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 am

I’ve been negative in the past about the effort of Lexi Deden……. But whatever it is, she figured it out. The hustling and effort is really showing up on the floor. She did pout after getting benched, but the last couple of weeks she’s been kicking butt! The shooting percentages will improve as she gets comfortable on the floor again, but the defensive effort and fight for rebounds is huge. Tells you what kind of young lady she is by fighting through adversity versus running away from a challenge!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 am
Given the number of game cancellations, I'm guessing its an attempt to limit covid spread.
Yeah they started doing that last year and I'm guessing they never went back to the handshake lines...? Or do you know if they did them for a while and then quit again? I think it's a little silly. Everybody's plenty exposed to everybody--even the coaches--during the course of the game. Seems like an odd thing to say you can sweat all over somebody for 2 hours but at the end of the game you better not go shake somebody's hand because we're worried about the spread of a virus.

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 pm

Another fantastic effort by the Lady Cats! Good shooting again! Enjoyed my free Wendy's chili after the game, along with a frosty.
The defensive effort was gritty as was rebounding. And make no mistake, NAU is a talented squad. They have great shooters. They barely lost to UW and whipped Idaho State recently.

I share the concern about attendance. I don't know if it's the Covid explosion we are having around Gallatin County right now or not, but this team deserves a better turnout. GOsh, I think if you are vaccinated and wear a mask you should be fine. It's not like we are all sitting elbow to elbow. Come out and support this team. It's a great group of young ladies who are giving it their all. We have Portland on Saturday and I'll be there, but it's Monday night that we need to really pack it in and get behind this team against the Griz. This appears to be a very even matchup so we need a BIG home court advantage. The last two games against Idaho and NAU, our homecourt "advantage" has been pretty lame. Come on Bobcat fans, come support this team!

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:44 pm

Darian white is just so so good. There are basketball players, and there are hoopers. Darian White is a hooper! One of my favorite bobcats to watch in any sport. Congrats on 1000 points!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:56 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Yeah they started doing that last year and I'm guessing they never went back to the handshake lines...? Or do you know if they did them for a while and then quit again? I think it's a little silly. Everybody's plenty exposed to everybody--even the coaches--during the course of the game. Seems like an odd thing to say you can sweat all over somebody for 2 hours but at the end of the game you better not go shake somebody's hand because we're worried about the spread of a virus.
We were going through the line shaking hands post-game at least in the 5 or 6 games I have seen in person. I also think it is Covid thing. This was the first game back from Covid protocol for NAU….and only our second. I know NAU may be a bit more sensitive with two ladies opting out last season ( I mentioned Orndorf collapsed lung issue above). But I agree with you, two hours on the court sweating all-over one another and up close and personal and you can’t shake hands….????

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:01 am

aucat wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 pm
Another fantastic effort by the Lady Cats! Good shooting again! Enjoyed my free Wendy's chili after the game, along with a frosty.
The defensive effort was gritty as was rebounding. And make no mistake, NAU is a talented squad. They have great shooters. They barely lost to UW and whipped Idaho State recently.

I share the concern about attendance. I don't know if it's the Covid explosion we are having around Gallatin County right now or not, but this team deserves a better turnout. GOsh, I think if you are vaccinated and wear a mask you should be fine. It's not like we are all sitting elbow to elbow. Come out and support this team. It's a great group of young ladies who are giving it their all. We have Portland on Saturday and I'll be there, but it's Monday night that we need to really pack it in and get behind this team against the Griz. This appears to be a very even matchup so we need a BIG home court advantage. The last two games against Idaho and NAU, our homecourt "advantage" has been pretty lame. Come on Bobcat fans, come support this team!
Well I’ve got 4 neighbors signed up to go with me on Monday. Doing my part!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:21 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:56 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am
thefrank1 wrote:
We were going through the line shaking hands post-game at least in the 5 or 6 games I have seen in person. I also think it is Covid thing. This was the first game back from Covid protocol for NAU….and only our second. I know NAU may be a bit more sensitive with two ladies opting out last season ( I mentioned Orndorf collapsed lung issue above). But I agree with you, two hours on the court sweating all-over one another and up close and personal and you can’t shake hands….????
There’s a lot of bench players, coaches, etc. that haven’t met on the floor that are in the traditional (hypocrite) line. The line guarantees that every person gets a piece of everyone else. Every little bit of prevention helps, especially with this omicron (𝚶) thing running around bypassing vaccinations and natural immunity as well.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 pm