Lia Thomas

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Lia Thomas

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:30 pm

Has anyone been following any of this story? The trans-female collegiate swimmer who is just shattering records?

I know we had some discussions in the past about our feelings of genetic males transitioning to females and competing in sports. And while I know everything gets political, this is not my intent. But have you seen these videos?! This woman is now shattering collegiate records. Winning races by record times. I saw the latest video where she was completely done while all the other women still had to lengths to go! I’ll try to find the video.

I’m all for humans being who they want to be. Gay, straight, man, woman, trans. I don’t care. But in terms of genetic makeup, and competition, and I the only one totally appalled by this?

Again, no politics. I’m not interested in that. I’m interested in thoughts of males transitioning to female, competing in sports, and dominating against genetic females. As a father of an athletic daughter, I can’t keep myself from getting pissed.

And I’m looking for discussion to help pass time of the slowest week of my life! :wink:

Truthfully I’m curious to hear other opinions. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lia Thomas

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:40 pm

Not to hijack your thread but since this has already been discussed multiple times in the past I have a new but related question:

Has anyone ever heard an argument from the other side that convinced them to change their view on this subject?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:40 pm
Not to hijack your thread but since this has already been discussed multiple times in the past I have a new but related question:

Has anyone ever heard an argument from the other side that convinced them to change their view on this subject?
On this one particular? I’m not sure. I change my mind on subjects all the time though when provided with compelling thoughts.

I’ve followed it a bit the last couple weeks but it wasn’t until the latest video where she won her race by 40 seconds that really jumped out at me.

I wonder if her situation will have the ncaa thinking about adjusting the criteria at all?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:46 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:40 pm

On this one particular? I’m not sure. I change my mind on subjects all the time though when provided with compelling thoughts.

I’ve followed it a bit the last couple weeks but it wasn’t until the latest video where she won her race by 40 seconds that really jumped out at me.

I wonder if her situation will have the ncaa thinking about adjusting the criteria at all?
Yeah, I meant this topic in particular. I just remember the last time this came up and it turned into yelling back and forth with no attempt to convince the other side. I'm hoping this time someone can bring an argument that takes their opposition's opinion into account rather than just yelling into the wind like at the UTM game.

If the NCAA hasn't changed any rules at this point I doubt they will because of this person.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:05 am

I believe all members of the women's team have come out against him competing on the swim team. They are ticked off.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:46 am

Being the dad of a little girl, this sort of sh*t pisses me off to no end. Some hack dude couldn't cut it on the men's team and decides that he's now a girl and can compete and set records against women. Utter BS.

Hell, I saw a podcast interview with "Lia" and it's not like she's even trying to hide the deepness of her voice. Take a gander:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDPOQ5D8DM

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:03 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:46 am
Being the dad of a little girl, this sort of sh*t pisses me off to no end. Some hack dude couldn't cut it on the men's team and decides that he's now a girl and can compete and set records against women. Utter BS.

Hell, I saw a podcast interview with "Lia" and it's not like she's even trying to hide the deepness of her voice. Take a gander:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDPOQ5D8DM
Yep!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:39 pm

I wonder if it’s because it’s swimming that this really hasn’t gotten much attention? I have to imagine if a UConn men’s basketball player transitioned and went to play for Geno on the women’s team and was shattering women’s records if the NCAA wouldn’t give the current guidelines a harder look?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:34 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:39 pm
I wonder if it’s because it’s swimming that this really hasn’t gotten much attention? I have to imagine if a UConn men’s basketball player transitioned and went to play for Geno on the women’s team and was shattering women’s records if the NCAA wouldn’t give the current guidelines a harder look?
I agree. It will be interesting to see how the ncaa handles.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:22 am

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:09 pm

msubobcats@outlook.com

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 pm

This is going to reach critical mass at sometime, like when a school loads a basketball team and wins the NCAAs.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:55 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 pm
This is going to reach critical mass at sometime, like when a school loads a basketball team and wins the NCAAs.
Exactly what I have been thinking...

11th on the depth chart, sees 1 minutes per game if he is lucky, 6' 11...

msubobcats@outlook.com

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:29 pm

I honestly can't see a dude doing the whole hormone thing just so they can better compete against another gender.

That said, this is in no way fair to women and should be absolutely prohibited. I can't believe there is any sane, thinking, sentient individual that would think a man on female hormones should compete against women. I find it unfathomable that a person could consider this fair competition. There is no argument for this based on science so it must be based on feelings, and in the case of the NCAA, political correctness.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:54 am

Cynthia Millen has officiated at USA Swimming events for 30 years, but she hung up her whistle last week in protest over Penn transgender swimmer Lia Thomas, and she hopes others will follow her lead.

“I told my fellow officials that I can no longer participate in a sport which allows biological men to compete against women. Everything fair about swimming is being destroyed,” she said in her letter, which she shared with The Washington Times.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... medium=RSS

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trans- ... scientists

What seems to be pretty obvious and many have been saying forever. But still interesting.

I'll be curious to see if all those people so passionate about following the science do so in this matter. :?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trans- ... scientists

What seems to be pretty obvious and many have been saying forever. But still interesting.

I'll be curious to see if all those people so passionate about following the science do so in this matter. :?
This is a grand slam, a 400 yd hole in one...

msubobcats@outlook.com

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am

NCAA updates policy on transgender participation, to let each sport set eligibility requirements

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... =148864196

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am
NCAA updates policy on transgender participation, to let each sport set eligibility requirements

This is a step in the right direction in my opinion. I think all anyone should want is complete fairness in the competitiveness in sports. Thomas was just the first example of the work that needs to be done.

Who knows. If people keep transitioning from one sex to another maybe we'll get to a point where they have a class of their own where they can still compete, but on a level playing field.

If nothing else it's been fascinating to follow and I expect there to be more examples in the future to base our opinions off of.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:07 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am

This is a step in the right direction in my opinion. I think all anyone should want is complete fairness in the competitiveness in sports. Thomas was just the first example of the work that needs to be done.

Who knows. If people keep transitioning from one sex to another maybe we'll get to a point where they have a class of their own where they can still compete, but on a level playing field.

If nothing else it's been fascinating to follow and I expect there to be more examples in the future to base our opinions off of.
Great news. I am very confident the ncaa can do a great job creating a level playing field ](*,) ](*,) :roll: :roll:

msubobcats@outlook.com