Women's basketball vs. Idaho

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Women's basketball vs. Idaho

Post by aucat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:23 pm

Is everyone excited to head out tonight to see the Lady Cats play? Gosh, it's been so long. The interesting thing is, only two years ago, these were the two teams at the top of the Big Sky and they were poised to play for the championship in the tournament before Covid shot that down. That was such a huge disappointment, especially given how the Lady Cats DOMINATED the Big Sky during the regular season.

But now two years later, it appears that both teams have fallen quite a bit, especially Idaho. Now it's Idaho State on top.

Anyway, here's hoping that the Lady Cats will play to their potential and prevail.

By the way is it really necessary to have to mention Ellen Kreighbaum Head Women’s Basketball Coach Tricia Binford every time there is any type of news release about the team? I appreciate anyone who contributes and supports Montana State in any way, but I swear, I think we can overdo it with having to put that name in every news release. JMO

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Women's basketball vs. Idaho

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:07 pm

Crap, forgot. Watching on ESPN

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:33 pm

Cats haven’t scored a field goal in about ten trips. Idaho keeps missing threes and we can’t answer.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 pm

Cat's earn a 10 pt win

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Much better play tonight. Better ball movement, better teamwork, better shooting — 48% from the field, 50% from 3. Darian had a “quiet” 21 pts. Still have to address turnovers, but all around good performance. Great to Madison Jackson in the lineup again — hustle personified.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:39 pm

I sure enjoyed the heck out of that. I really think we're starting to see some chemistry develop with this bunch. Kola Bad Bear OWNED that second half. It would have been a total blowout if we defended the three better. It seems like were used to defending at the old three point line-so playing just a little too far back. Gandy is only 5'5" so you don't have to be too far away to impact her shot, but we continually stayed too far away.

It always good to beat the Vandals!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:12 pm

Pretty nice win. Fair crowd, maybe.. 1100 in attendance. Are students still out?

Thought I would check the ewu game. A whopping 212.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:19 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:12 pm
Pretty nice win. Fair crowd, maybe.. 1100 in attendance. Are students still out?

Thought I would check the ewu game. A whopping 212.
Classes start this week. Wouldn't make a big difference though as there's only ever a handful of students there even when classes are in session. 1100 isn't too bad for a rescheduled Monday game.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:38 am

I’ve only been able to see about half the games this year and of those I have seen, this was their best performance. I agree with other commenters that overall team play, chemistry and passing was fun to watch. I enjoyed seeing some bodies on the floor scrapping for loose balls….a couple really good hustle plays…..and only a few times I saw them standing around on offense.

They’ve only had a few days of practice with the full contingent of players back together so it was nice to see this performance. I could tell Covid was still impacting stamina on one of the ladies that I am aware had it but Coach Bin was freely using the bench to try to keep fresh legs on the floor.

This stretch of 4 games in 7days will test the depth of the bench. NAU for the Thursday contest is just coming out of Covid protocol also so it will be interesting to see if that game will be played.

Next Monday will be the make-up game with the Lady Griz. 1100 was a fair attendance for a Monday make-up but hope we can garner a better crowd next Monday!!!

And just a plug for both the Fast Break and 6th Man Club….their meetings are being held both in-person and on WebEx so anyone can attend around the nation. I always enjoy meeting the players that both Sprinkle and Binford bring in and also seeing the film. I’ll enjoy hearing what Coach Binford has to say about the game last night in her meeting today,

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:35 pm

I agree with the other posters that this was the most enjoyable game to watch to date. For one thing it is SO REFRESHING when the refs don't constantly blow the whistle and disrupt the flow of the game, given the already high number of timeouts that are called, I guess to satisfy the ESPN commercials.

Really good shooting and rebounding. Kola Bad Bear is so much fun to watch; the way she works to get the ball to her and when she does she is deadly. And leave her alone at the top of the key at your own risk. She can flat out shoot.

This team really does have A LOT of depth. Great to have Madison Jackson back.

We have lots of games: Thursday, then Saturday then the Lady Griz next Monday. GO CATS!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:10 pm

Played as good as I've seen them play this year! Hopefully they've turned a corner, shooting-wise.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz