Navigating The Pickup Truck Market

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Navigating The Pickup Truck Market

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:40 pm

I spent most of last year looking at and looking for used Ford F350's. My original intent was to go the 6.7 diesel route. I am familiar with diesels since I had owned a 7.3 diesel Excursion and owned it for over 15 years doing most of my own maintenance on it.

I had listed my Excursion in May and sold it a couple of months later (my down payment). I got what I wanted out of it as these rigs are in demand. Well at the same time the chip thing happened driving the price of used pickups way up. A used 2017 F350 crew cab 6.7 diesel earlier in the year with 50K miles would be priced in the mid $55K range then became $65-70K in a hurry. I then noticed these were creeping up on new truck pricing.

Well I like to browse forums and glean as much information as I can so on Ford Trucks Enthusiasts a dealer paid to advertise on the forum and had said if you want to order a truck we will offer invoice plus another 2% off. Just put a non refundable $1000 down when you place your order. I decided the diesel would put me out of my budget and ordered the 7.3 Godzilla gas engine and less maintenance. Anyways I went to the Ford website, built my truck, printed it off, set it to the dealer, placed my deposit and ordered it October 5th/ It was built November 12th, Shipped November 22nd and arrived right before Christmas at the dealer ship in Iowa. I booked my ticket and flew out and drove it home. It was a pretty seamless process, saved about 4 grand off sticker and way less then used trucks that are being advertised out there. If you can wait you can save $$. This dealership is in a small town in Iowa and I had called a couple local dealers to see if they would match the deal and they refused. So they lost my business.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Navigating The Pickup Truck Market

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 am

Ford is trying to go to a model where people are stuck ordering cars if they want a new vehicle. They want to have less inventory on the lot. I absolutely hate the idea. I was looking for a new Bronco and they are telling me that a special order will take 6 to 12 months before delivery. Sorry, but I am not going to wait that long for a vehicle - especially with no definitive timeline. I will most likely buy GMC or Jeep now.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 am

GOOD move.. I frequent several rv sites and the consensus is do not buy off the lot. CONGRATS...

I am not the biggest FoMoCo fan but they say that 7.3 gasser is a heck of a motor. I have a 2002 Silverado, crew cab with the 8.1. Just wish it had the 4.10 gears.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 am
Ford is trying to go to a model where people are stuck ordering cars if they want a new vehicle. They want to have less inventory on the lot. I absolutely hate the idea. I was looking for a new Bronco and they are telling me that a special order will take 6 to 12 months before delivery. Sorry, but I am not going to wait that long for a vehicle - especially with no definitive timeline. I will most likely buy GMC or Jeep now.
Wow, 6-12 months. Crazy...

msubobcats@outlook.com

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 am
Wow, 6-12 months. Crazy...
High demand. Low number of chips yet. I read that Ford is doing some internal changes to use more commodity chipsets and less specialized, as well as taking over at least some control of production. Companies got way over-extended on world production. Should have learned from Henry — when “woodies” came into style he operated his own sawmill.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:08 pm

I just bought an F350 with the 7.3 gas engine last June. Zero complaints so far. I have roughly 12,000 miles on it.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:48 pm

It's a crazy market. I've seen older trucks priced higher than what I paid for my new one. When I picked up my truck there was another couple that has flown in to pick up their new vehicle. They had several Broncos ready to be picked up.

I feel sorry for some dealers that have invested in huge facilities to have new inventory on their lots but now the model it seems to be going to is order what you want and wait. Some dealers are really asking a lot though and when the market corrects itself some people are going to be upside down with their vehicles.

PM me if you want the dealers email address I think they are still offering the same deal. I'm pretty sure the wait is several months.

By the way my truck is a crew cab long box and the color is Antimatter Blue with the Baja tan interior. Sometimes it looks black but in the sun it really pops metallic blue.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:32 pm

I watch videos about a guy in Georgia that rebuilds the 6.0 ford diesels. He always has some for sale. Powerstrokehelp.com. check it out on utube

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:43 am

On the Open Range forum one poster said he ordered an F350 in October and it goes on the assembly line January 17th. WOW

msubobcats@outlook.com

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:38 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:43 am
On the Open Range forum one poster said he ordered an F350 in October and it goes on the assembly line January 17th. WOW
That’s not that bad. I ordered new cars in 1972, 1985, and 2020. They all took longer than that. Worth the wait to get one exactly like I wanted, proper equipment for Montana, and a negotiated price. Two locally, one out-of-town but in Montana. Happy experiences.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 am
GOOD move.. I frequent several rv sites and the consensus is do not buy off the lot. CONGRATS...

I am not the biggest FoMoCo fan but they say that 7.3 gasser is a heck of a motor. I have a 2002 Silverado, crew cab with the 8.1. Just wish it had the 4.10 gears.
How many rear main seals have you put in the 8.1? Heard this was a chronic problem for these engines...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 pm
RickRund wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 am

How many rear main seals have you put in the 8.1? Heard this was a chronic problem for these engines...
Actually none. The one issue I have had is I believe tie rods due to the weight on the front suspension. Think that is an problem with all the big blocks or diesels. The 8.1 does have a bit of piston slap (think that is what it is called) but has never caused any issues and they do use more oil than a normal engine.

msubobcats@outlook.com