Modern attendance is a gut shot

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Modern attendance is a gut shot

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:05 pm

Rich K wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 am
While checking the football version of this I ran across the MBB numbers. While being in the top 100 is good us users and consumers of social media might need to step up the game and do a admittedly limited part of generating interest.

The only BSC team to make this list? That’s impressive!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm

Win consistently and the fans will pack the stands.
Last edited by AFCAT on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 pm

Anybody want to choreograph a Grand Canyon thing? They really get it going...

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:35 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:26 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:00 pm
It’s an interesting irony for WBB. The players are better than ever, the teams as a whole are better, but fewer want to watch. Well, like Yogi said “If they aren’t going to come to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?”.
Actually the WBB program has seen the kind of dramatic increase in attendance numbers that we'd love to see from the men's program. In 2014-15 they averaged 1,065 fans. Three years later in 2017-18 they averaged 2,397 fans and maintained an average of over 2,000 for 2018-19 and 2019-20. That probably gives a good roadmap for the best way for the men's team to get their attendance numbers up - finally win a conference title and play in the NCAA Tournament like the women did in 2017!
I was actually speaking more generally than specifically — our team was amazing in getting to the NCAA tournament (and showing well; way to go Peyton) and going 19-1 in the conference in ‘19-‘20. And the ‘Cat fans have rewarded them. But I watch all their games and the attendance at most venues outside of Montana, even for bigger name out-of-conference teams, is often abysmal and sometimes even worse than that.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 pm
Two of my cousin’s kids go to Grand Canyon. They are excellent students, but they went there to play high-level traveling all over club soccer. Not sure about their “eddication”, but they always seem to be having fun. When we played the Antelope(s) a few years ago it seems that they had excellent attendance. But really, what else would there be to do in Phoenix? 😁

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:18 am

I was at the game last Sunday and frankly I was shocked at the low attendance as well as the "deadness" of the crowd. Granted, school was not back in session, and I'm sure lots of Bobcat fans were still making their way back from Frisco. But these are really lame excuses. ESPECIALLY since it was the Cat vs. Griz game. Here's an example of what I mean:

Alabama played for a national championship in football on Monday in Indianapolis. The very next evening was their rival game-- THEIR version of "Cat-Griz" playing Auburn in basketball. It was on ESPN and the place was absolutely packed, going crazy. So do you think all of their football fans made it back to campus that quick? I just don't get the lackadaisical attitude last Sunday. The Cats played an inspiring, exciting game. The great football season we had should ADD to the basketball enthusiasm, not reduce it! If you didn't see the Alabama-Auburn basketball game on ESPN here is a highlight video from the Auburn perspective. Why does this rivalry carry so much more excitement than Cat-Griz? I would say that Alabama is a "football school" as is Auburn. Yet this rivalry in basketball was on full display Tuesday.
Just wondering.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:20 pm

aucat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:18 am
I was at the game last Sunday and frankly I was shocked at the low attendance as well as the "deadness" of the crowd. Granted, school was not back in session, and I'm sure lots of Bobcat fans were still making their way back from Frisco. But these are really lame excuses. ESPECIALLY since it was the Cat vs. Griz game. Here's an example of what I mean:

Alabama played for a national championship in football on Monday in Indianapolis. The very next evening was their rival game-- THEIR version of "Cat-Griz" playing Auburn in basketball. It was on ESPN and the place was absolutely packed, going crazy. So do you think all of their football fans made it back to campus that quick? I just don't get the lackadaisical attitude last Sunday. The Cats played an inspiring, exciting game. The great football season we had should ADD to the basketball enthusiasm, not reduce it! If you didn't see the Alabama-Auburn basketball game on ESPN here is a highlight video from the Auburn perspective. Why does this rivalry carry so much more excitement than Cat-Griz? I would say that Alabama is a "football school" as is Auburn. Yet this rivalry in basketball was on full display Tuesday.
Just wondering.

I don't think your Alabama-Auburn comparison is very fair to be honest.

We are talking about #24 Alabama hosting one of the best teams in the country, and their rival, #4 Auburn. The game was nationally televised on ESPN. Not to mention, their National Championship site was only 500 miles away with direct flights all over. Montanans don't even blink about a 500 mile drive. I had to fly 6 flights on 4 airlines with several delays just to get back to Bozeman Monday night. Many of my friends were stuck driving back from Salt Lake or other cities just to make it all work.

I'm in full agreement on our attendance issues. Though the answer remains the same; win. But I know diehard hoops supporters and season ticket holders who had zero chance of making it back for Cat-gris. Comparing our Sunday matinee to a top-25 showdown on national television isn't close to the same.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:01 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 pm
I had heard once that students received credit for attending games but was unable to verify that. The attached article does provide some insight into a student and cross department organization that choreograph this support! Got to give them credit…I like it…calling themselves the Havocs!!!

https://news.gcu.edu/2022/01/host-with- ... ience/amp/

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:16 pm

Dear Ilovethecats,

Your point is well taken and I thank you for the huge effort you made in getting to Frisco. I heard more than one "horror" story about the difficulties involved.
But back to may point, I can recall only a few years ago when we were getting shellacked by the Griz, yet the arena was right at a sellout. Now that we can really compete with them, and in fact actually beat them, we only had the place half full.

Thanks again though to all the Cats fans who went to Frisco! At least we had a watch party where we consumed a decent amount of bison meat. But not the same as being there for sure.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:46 pm

I’m only one person, I did my best to annoy gris fans.

There’s no I in Team.

Go CATS!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:35 pm

aucat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:16 pm
Dear Ilovethecats,

Your point is well taken and I thank you for the huge effort you made in getting to Frisco. I heard more than one "horror" story about the difficulties involved.
But back to may point, I can recall only a few years ago when we were getting shellacked by the Griz, yet the arena was right at a sellout. Now that we can really compete with them, and in fact actually beat them, we only had the place half full.

Thanks again though to all the Cats fans who went to Frisco! At least we had a watch party where we consumed a decent amount of bison meat. But not the same as being there for sure.
Your points still stand though. But the only thing that will fix attendance is winning, and winning a lot. It's just how sports work.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:23 pm

Having the ‘Cat/gris basketball games while school is out is absolutely wrong!! Classes don’t start again until Jan. 19th. The campus is the deadest during this winter break of any time during the academic year.

Students are gone. Montana students, out-of-state students, internationals. The break is over a month long and thousands and thousands head home for Christmas and other family time. As for the students that are in town, Bridger Bowl and outdoor recreation beckons when classes and homework are taking a break. When students are gone that means the pep band, cheerleaders, dancers, etc. may be missing as well.

Faculty and staff members may be gone. This is one of the two longest class breaks of the year, and it provides opportunity for employees who must be present on campus when classes are in session (and that’s a lot of people!) to step away from campus for a bit.

‘Cat/gris events draw more students than any other — and in Missoula, too. It’s a big disadvantage to MSU this year to have these games during breaks, while UM will get the return games while campus is active. (The women’s game has been rescheduled to January 24th. Let’s see if that increases the excitement level in the Brick!)

To maximize fan interest and game-time enthusiasm, I believe these games must be restored to their original place in the schedule, which is the end of each rotation of Big Sky Conference play. The end of the first half of play always adds a little excitement because everyone will have played everyone. And the end of the twenty-game schedule? The ‘Cat/gris game could decide the Big Sky regular season championship, and does affect the tournament seeding/byes which we know to be vital.

Dear Mr. Costello — please exert maximum pressure on the Big Sky Conference to return the men’s and women’s ‘Cat/gris basketball (and volleyball) games, just like the football game is, to the end of the conference schedule! It worked well for years. Why dampen the conference’s best rivalry with this absurd scheduling? Change it. Thank you.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:24 pm

I agree with Bobcat4Ever. I hope Leon Costello can make it happen.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:27 pm

Look I have season tix to bball and I agree that attendance in general kind of sucks though has gotten a bit better than recent past. I too long for the late 90s when as students we packed the section for every conference game and there were full crowds most games and wait lists for Cat/Griz tickets. I'm with you.

However, to in any way take anything away from Sunday's attendance in this regards is foolish. Students out of session, that's over 1k empty seats right there probably. Blame the BSC. Game moved to a Sunday night, makes it just a little tougher for out of town folks to commit and get back home with work the next day. Covid issues, the women's game was cancelled due to it and I know for sure of some that couldn't go due to covid. And then the real biggie and the one that everyone has mentioned but several here seem to be trying to dismiss. A huge number of your most avid fans, literally thousands of them, were 20 hours away or traveling back from there. Our group had 4 tickets that we gave away. Those folks that used ours would have still gone so that was four more that would have normally been there and I'm assuming that could be said of a large number of fans that went to Texas.

Bemoan bball attendance in general at MSU all you want, I'm with you. However to in any way use this past Cat/Griz as a prime data point in that is completely tone deaf the reality of the situation of that particular moment in time. Cat/Griz isn't an attendance problem, obviously the other factors were.

Cat/Griz BBall attendance in Bozemen (capacity listed as 6,772):
2022: 3,763
2020: 6,570
2019: 6,013
2018: 6,772

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:49 pm

kmax wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:27 pm
Look I have season tix to bball and I agree that attendance in general kind of sucks though has gotten a bit better than recent past. I too long for the late 90s when as students we packed the section for every conference game and there were full crowds most games and wait lists for Cat/Griz tickets. I'm with you.

However, to in any way take anything away from Sunday's attendance in this regards is foolish. Students out of session, that's over 1k empty seats right there probably. Blame the BSC. Game moved to a Sunday night, makes it just a little tougher for out of town folks to commit and get back home with work the next day. Covid issues, the women's game was cancelled due to it and I know for sure of some that couldn't go due to covid. And then the real biggie and the one that everyone has mentioned but several here seem to be trying to dismiss. A huge number of your most avid fans, literally thousands of them, were 20 hours away or traveling back from there. Our group had 4 tickets that we gave away. Those folks that used ours would have still gone so that was four more that would have normally been there and I'm assuming that could be said of a large number of fans that went to Texas.

Bemoan bball attendance in general at MSU all you want, I'm with you. However to in any way use this past Cat/Griz as a prime data point in that is completely tone deaf the reality of the situation of that particular moment in time. Cat/Griz isn't an attendance problem, obviously the other factors were.

Thanks for pulling up the attendance for the last 4 years. I don't think there's LESS excitement about Bobcat basketball or basketball in general than two years ago. In fact I think there's more excitement. The factors you and the rest of us have mentioned are legitimate. If Sunday's game is 3 weeks later, there might be twice as many in attendance.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:14 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:49 pm
kmax wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks for pulling up the attendance for the last 4 years. I don't think there's LESS excitement about Bobcat basketball or basketball in general than two years ago. In fact I think there's more excitement. The factors you and the rest of us have mentioned are legitimate. If Sunday's game is 3 weeks later, there might be twice as many in attendance.
Exactly, the excitement is growing. Watching from afar as the team last year made a bit of a run helped. I don't think you even have to put the "might" in your last statement. I think it definitely would have. Another note, had the weekend gone off as planned for Cat/Griz bball the Friday night before would have been the HoF banquet and inductions. Cat/Griz bball is a whole event weekend, people show out for it.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:57 pm

I'm sorry but you can't overlook the fact that so many fans were out of town. If you made it back in time, you probably just dropped a grand or more on the trip to Texas so money may have been a factor especially if you had to drive from Billings or something.

Plus the overarching heartache I think many fans had, you maybe didn't want to travel and potentially experience more heartbreak. I know I was still super down Sunday and just wasn't feeling at all excited for Cat Griz, however I would've still gone if I could. But I'm sure some people just stayed home and watched on TV because of this.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:51 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:57 pm
I'm sorry but you can't overlook the fact that so many fans were out of town. If you made it back in time, you probably just dropped a grand or more on the trip to Texas so money may have been a factor especially if you had to drive from Billings or something.

Plus the overarching heartache I think many fans had, you maybe didn't want to travel and potentially experience more heartbreak. I know I was still super down Sunday and just wasn't feeling at all excited for Cat Griz, however I would've still gone if I could. But I'm sure some people just stayed home and watched on TV because of this.
Yep. There’s no need to pull the “if you were a real fan” card and that feels like what some of this thread is. It’s hard to be fully invested in the beginning of regular season basketball while the football playoffs are going on. And I say that as a former basketball player/coach who never stepped on a football field I’m overall way more invested in basketball as a sport :lol:

People will come around. Hell you’ll see the difference in the next couple weeks just in this thread of more attention paid to both basketball teams now that our exciting football run is over.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:50 pm

There is obviously talk on building an indoor practice field for the football team that comes with a pretty hefty price tag but why isn't there a thought of using the fieldhouse as the indoor practice field (besides the corners of the end zone it could fit a full size field) and building a new arena for the basketball teams? Let's be honest, the fieldhouse does not make for a great venue for b-ball. Its just too big and open. I would love to see a smaller, more intimate arena where the seats are closer to the court and some suites added for additional income...A new arena would definitely help with attendance if you ask me!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 am

Cats15 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:50 pm
There is obviously talk on building an indoor practice field for the football team that comes with a pretty hefty price tag but why isn't there a thought of using the fieldhouse as the indoor practice field (besides the corners of the end zone it could fit a full size field) and building a new arena for the basketball teams? Let's be honest, the fieldhouse does not make for a great venue for b-ball. Its just too big and open. I would love to see a smaller, more intimate arena where the seats are closer to the court and some suites added for additional income...A new arena would definitely help with attendance if you ask me!
According to the facilities plan, the building they want to do is substantially larger than the Fieldhouse and contains much more than just a football field for the team to practice on. A new basketball-specific arena would be great but I don't think that's anywhere near the top priority right now - more likely they'll renovate the Fieldhouse down the road to make it more like what you describe.

https://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20 ... spx?id=357