IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by Jobu » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:43 am

This thread was an enjoyable read. Love some of the spot-on takes.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:50 am

griz5700 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:06 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:13 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:47 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:31 pm
golden77 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm
Do you think Griz nation will implode when Eastern Washington beats them in the second round.
Nothing like Bobcat nation’s implosion after the Griz beat the Cats (see “Ash 2.0,” etc., in the BC Nation football forum).
If that game happens it will be really fun to watch. Will UM have the same chip on their shoulder that they had last week and want revenge on EWU? Sometimes the relief after a game like that may subliminally have you relax a bit. 50/50 on which way it goes. It's so tough to stay that fired up for 14 days.
Not to be Captain Obvious but I also think that EWU's offense matches up much better with um's defense.
I watched the entire MSU-EWU game on TV. The Cats defense was brutally tough. Any team that plays EWU should watch that game over and over and try to replicate what MSU did. Easier said than done.
A big factor in that was the sideline-to-sideline speed of #15 keeping Barriere from getting much with his legs.

The difference I saw was in MSU D vs EWU O, MSU was able to apply pressure with 4, the strategy was to squeeze the pocket and contain EB3, this gave him less time to throw and his only out was straight up, he couldn't escape and extend the play as often. Also our run base run defense was able to limit their run game. If he did escape #15's closing speed was too fast and he still didn't have the time to find the open man. Our backend was good enough to employ this system.

The UM D vs EWU O matchup employed a different strategy. um cant get pressure with 4, if they did only send 4 EB3 had all day to find a receiver, or they ran the ball successfully since there were less people in the box. If um applied pressure by sending 5 or 6, EB3 could still escape and um had only a nose guard that drops back to cover EB3's escape, he wasn't fast enough. Since the receivers were all manned up they could get open or EB3 could run for positive yards.

WSU was able to get pressure with 4 and 5, their secondary is good enough to hold them at bay, plus they were helped greatly by the ST play of both teams

It would take an entire changeup of the um defensive strategy for um to stop EWU consistently. The high pressure defense is made for schoolyard players like EB3. To beat him you need to make him a pocket passer and squeeze the pocket.

Just my 2 cents on what I saw against EWU. I think the matchup favors EWU, if EWU can take care of business against UNI.

the other wildcard here is what's going on internally at EWU, coaches leaving, players feeling left out with not getting a seed. HC acting like a dick ect... Does that team do what we have seen before and rise up and make a run, or do they have some internal goings on that makes them implode. I really don't know what is happening there and think it could go either way, if the game against Davis is an indicator I would say they make a run in the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder, not unusual for EWU. I could actually see them going all the way to Fargo.
The difference was steady 30mph wind gusts when MSU played EWU.
Ya... and it's name was Troy Andersen. :)
Troy's speed kept Barriere from picking up first downs and extending drives with his legs. That was the difference.

Even McKay threw for 250 that day. Why wasn't the wind an issue for him?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:48 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:50 am
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:
Do you think Griz nation will implode when Eastern Washington beats them in the second round.
Nothing like Bobcat nation’s implosion after the Griz beat the Cats (see “Ash 2.0,” etc., in the BC Nation football forum).
If that game happens it will be really fun to watch. Will UM have the same chip on their shoulder that they had last week and want revenge on EWU? Sometimes the relief after a game like that may subliminally have you relax a bit. 50/50 on which way it goes. It's so tough to stay that fired up for 14 days.
Not to be Captain Obvious but I also think that EWU's offense matches up much better with um's defense.
I watched the entire MSU-EWU game on TV. The Cats defense was brutally tough. Any team that plays EWU should watch that game over and over and try to replicate what MSU did. Easier said than done.
A big factor in that was the sideline-to-sideline speed of #15 keeping Barriere from getting much with his legs.

The difference I saw was in MSU D vs EWU O, MSU was able to apply pressure with 4, the strategy was to squeeze the pocket and contain EB3, this gave him less time to throw and his only out was straight up, he couldn't escape and extend the play as often. Also our run base run defense was able to limit their run game. If he did escape #15's closing speed was too fast and he still didn't have the time to find the open man. Our backend was good enough to employ this system.

The UM D vs EWU O matchup employed a different strategy. um cant get pressure with 4, if they did only send 4 EB3 had all day to find a receiver, or they ran the ball successfully since there were less people in the box. If um applied pressure by sending 5 or 6, EB3 could still escape and um had only a nose guard that drops back to cover EB3's escape, he wasn't fast enough. Since the receivers were all manned up they could get open or EB3 could run for positive yards.

WSU was able to get pressure with 4 and 5, their secondary is good enough to hold them at bay, plus they were helped greatly by the ST play of both teams

It would take an entire changeup of the um defensive strategy for um to stop EWU consistently. The high pressure defense is made for schoolyard players like EB3. To beat him you need to make him a pocket passer and squeeze the pocket.

Just my 2 cents on what I saw against EWU. I think the matchup favors EWU, if EWU can take care of business against UNI.

the other wildcard here is what's going on internally at EWU, coaches leaving, players feeling left out with not getting a seed. HC acting like a dick ect... Does that team do what we have seen before and rise up and make a run, or do they have some internal goings on that makes them implode. I really don't know what is happening there and think it could go either way, if the game against Davis is an indicator I would say they make a run in the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder, not unusual for EWU. I could actually see them going all the way to Fargo.
Ya... and it's name was Troy Andersen. :)
Troy's speed kept Barriere from picking up first downs and extending drives with his legs. That was the difference.

Even McKay threw for 250 that day. Why wasn't the wind an issue for him?
McKay? He just overthrew the pass like usual and let the wind correct it.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:46 am

This is what I said about UM back in May:
I think the big part of the optimism for UM fans is their schedule. They almost automatically have eight wins. They'll almost certainly lose to UW, which isn't going to be a good PAC 12 team IMO. Then at EWU and vs MSU are the only two tough games. Win either one of those and they'll almost certainly have a co-BSC title. Weber State has a similar BSC schedule, but a tough non-conf game vs. JMU and they start with Utah. EWU has a schedule similar to MSU's, but all their tough BSC games are at home, whereas all of MSU's are on the road. This why a lot of people will be picking MSU fourth. WSU and UM will be 1-2 and EWU will be 3-4. The California coaches might bet on each other and throw that off a bit, but it'll be something like that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 am

griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:

Keep telling yourself that :lol:

You are thinking of the UI @ MSU game.

MSU @ EWU was 37° and winds at 3 mph out of the SE 8)

https://bigskyconf.com/boxscore.aspx?id ... h=football

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 am
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:

The wind was stronger than 3mph, but its funny it only affected Barriere and not McKay... at least in the minds of griz fans trying to take away from our win in Cheney because their team couldn't win there.

McKay threw for 250+ yards at ewu, including the best pass I've ever seen him throw which was the 50 yard DIME to McCutcheon out of his own end zone.
But Barriere only threw for 214 "cuz the wind" :lol: :lol: :lol:

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:53 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am
cats2506 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 am
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:

The wind was stronger than 3mph, but its funny it only affected Barriere and not McKay... at least in the minds of griz fans trying to take away from our win in Cheney because their team couldn't win there.

McKay threw for 250+ yards at ewu, including the best pass I've ever seen him throw which was the 50 yard DIME to McCutcheon out of his own end zone.
But Barriere only threw for 214 "cuz the wind" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I assume that 3 mph was at the beginning of the game, that is what's on the BSC stats for the game. Pretty damn sure it wasn't "steady 30mph wind gusts" whatever the hell that means

I don't recall wind being any factor in the game at all, but I didn't attend either.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 pm

Since we're playing the "you guys got lucky to beat that team" game, I see the Huskies are losing the Apple Cup 40-13 in the 4th quarter.
Must be the wind gusts...

info197176

Post by info197176 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:19 pm

Again-short answer-yes,

Born2BaGriz wrote:
2506 is like the guys who bitches about Hugh Heffner having three girlfriends and goes home alone to his dog every night

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:56 am

info197176 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:19 pm
Again-short answer-yes,

GO CATS GO!!!

MTnative

Post by MTnative » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:09 am

I would like to point out that the griz season ended before the Cats' season did.

That is all.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:12 am

The Gris are a good team. Not a great team. I dislike them as much as anyone, but 10 and 3 is a really good season. Hauck is still an awful person, good coach, lousy human.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:28 am

Beautiful picture this weekend in Zoola
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x ... x96BAgdEAg

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:54 pm

allcat wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:12 am
The Gris are a good team.
Can we get a mod to ban this guy??

(its just a joke man)

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:54 am

GRIS the last month. We're better, we had a tougher bracket, wha wha wha.