IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:24 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:08 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:41 pm
MSU Defense > UM Defense

MSU Offensive >>> UM Offense
My heart tells me that's true. But our common opponents (UNCO, UI, EWU) tell my head that the first is reasonable but that the second should be ==.

Hope that my heart is right & my head is wrong.
Idk. The Griz just scored 16 offensive points on Northern Arizona, who doesn’t have a stellar defense. If you can prevent turnovers, we will absolutely beat them. Their offense isn’t that great.
And cover very well on special teams. Malik Flowers is dangerous if not contained.
Thought he was hurt?
Could be. I don’t follow the griz closely enough to know.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 pm
John K wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:16 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

My heart tells me that's true. But our common opponents (UNCO, UI, EWU) tell my head that the first is reasonable but that the second should be ==.

I believe we've had only three common opponents, right? We beat Cal Poly 45-7, and they won 39-7, so very close. We beat UNCU 40-7, and UM won 35-0...also very close. Of course EWU was the only common opponent that wasn't a bottom feeder, and we won 23-20, while they lost 34-28. Both games were very close, but we really should have won by a much larger margin than that, and UM probably should have lost by a much larger margin, for whatever that's worth.

All season long, a big portion of their "offense" has come from their defense and special teams, so limiting our own turnovers is obviously going to be crucial. We were something like plus 12 in turnover margin over the first 8 games, but we've been minus 3 the last 2 games. Their defense makes a living off of bringing pressure, almost every down it seems like, and if the opposing QB lets that rattle him into making mistakes, then it becomes a very long day for him and his team. If the QB can handle the pressure though, then there are plays available to be made for the Griz opponents. Is McKay going to be able to handle the pressure? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question, and we won't know until he's had a few possessions under his belt on Saturday.

Fans have been bashing him pretty good after the Idaho game, but I just went back and watched the EWU game again, and he played very well against them. He threw the ball effectively, and of course he also had that 56 yard TD run. If he can play like that against the Griz, then I have to feel pretty good about our chances. If he plays like he did against UI, then it might be a struggle to score enough points to win, with or without Ifanse.

In 2019, the Griz knew we were gonna run it almost every down, but they still couldn't stop our running game. Our 2019 O-line was better though, than it is this year. Ifanse and Jones had lots of big games that year, but the line was so good that we could plug in Sumner or Perry or Hosey, and they were almost as effective. Ifanse is having another great season obviously, but there is much more of a drop off this year, when the #2 or #3 running back is in there. Elliott has played pretty well at times, but he's no Ifanse, in terms of getting those tough yards when you really need them. Sumner struggled against Idaho, until the the final possession, when he finally ran pretty effectively.
Griz played Idaho as well.
UM scored 34, Cats scored 20. Two scores set up by the Griz D.

One of the Griz scores at EWU was a kick return for TD.

I have a hard time saying anything but =.
I agree.

He just said we had 3 common opponents and I was pointing out we had 4.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:30 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 pm
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
John K wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

I believe we've had only three common opponents, right? We beat Cal Poly 45-7, and they won 39-7, so very close. We beat UNCU 40-7, and UM won 35-0...also very close. Of course EWU was the only common opponent that wasn't a bottom feeder, and we won 23-20, while they lost 34-28. Both games were very close, but we really should have won by a much larger margin than that, and UM probably should have lost by a much larger margin, for whatever that's worth.

All season long, a big portion of their "offense" has come from their defense and special teams, so limiting our own turnovers is obviously going to be crucial. We were something like plus 12 in turnover margin over the first 8 games, but we've been minus 3 the last 2 games. Their defense makes a living off of bringing pressure, almost every down it seems like, and if the opposing QB lets that rattle him into making mistakes, then it becomes a very long day for him and his team. If the QB can handle the pressure though, then there are plays available to be made for the Griz opponents. Is McKay going to be able to handle the pressure? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question, and we won't know until he's had a few possessions under his belt on Saturday.

Fans have been bashing him pretty good after the Idaho game, but I just went back and watched the EWU game again, and he played very well against them. He threw the ball effectively, and of course he also had that 56 yard TD run. If he can play like that against the Griz, then I have to feel pretty good about our chances. If he plays like he did against UI, then it might be a struggle to score enough points to win, with or without Ifanse.

In 2019, the Griz knew we were gonna run it almost every down, but they still couldn't stop our running game. Our 2019 O-line was better though, than it is this year. Ifanse and Jones had lots of big games that year, but the line was so good that we could plug in Sumner or Perry or Hosey, and they were almost as effective. Ifanse is having another great season obviously, but there is much more of a drop off this year, when the #2 or #3 running back is in there. Elliott has played pretty well at times, but he's no Ifanse, in terms of getting those tough yards when you really need them. Sumner struggled against Idaho, until the the final possession, when he finally ran pretty effectively.

I agree.

Yes, there were four. Scoring-wise it may be fairly even, but as pointed out UM had three scores in those games that were by STs and defense. MSU also didn't leave their starters in as long as UM. Here's post by Tomcat from a couple days ago. It shows the scores are even, but the stats are not.
Vs. common opponents-

The two teams played four common opponents: Cal Poly, EWU, Idaho and UNC.

They both outscored them by 81 points. UM 136-55; MSU 128-47.

UM gained 5.37 yards per play and allowed 4.43 for their opponents.
MSU gained 6.74 and allowed 4.36.
MSU, by a large margin, was better offensively in terms of yards per play in those four games. And also slightly better defensively. I'd say the defensive numbers would've been even more different had MSU just left the starters on D in as long as the Griz did. The Cats also played almost the entire second half vs. Idaho without Ifanse, Session, and Elliott. Ifanse and Elliott were flat killing the Vandals. 9 carries 84 yards for Ifanse; 6 for 49 for Elliott. UM didn't run it nearly as well vs. Idaho. The wind was howling, which also kept the scoring down and allowed UI to stack the box more than it normally would've.

I think the Idaho game was good for MSU going into the UM game. It was very physical and kept MSU hungry. I like that we've had some close games lately, instead of cruising to easy wins. I think MSU is very ready for Saturday's game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:17 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:30 am
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
John K wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

I agree.

Yes, there were four. Scoring-wise it may be fairly even, but as pointed out UM had three scores in those games that were by STs and defense. MSU also didn't leave their starters in as long as UM. Here's post by Tomcat from a couple days ago. It shows the scores are even, but the stats are not.
Vs. common opponents-

MSU, by a large margin, was better offensively in terms of yards per play in those four games. And also slightly better defensively. I'd say the defensive numbers would've been even more different had MSU just left the starters on D in as long as the Griz did. The Cats also played almost the entire second half vs. Idaho without Ifanse, Session, and Elliott. Ifanse and Elliott were flat killing the Vandals. 9 carries 84 yards for Ifanse; 6 for 49 for Elliott. UM didn't run it nearly as well vs. Idaho. The wind was howling, which also kept the scoring down and allowed UI to stack the box more than it normally would've.

I think the Idaho game was good for MSU going into the UM game. It was very physical and kept MSU hungry. I like that we've had some close games lately, instead of cruising to easy wins. I think MSU is very ready for Saturday's game.
The UM TD returns affected their total yards, but probably not ypp. The scariest thing about UM is it’s ability to score on defense and special teams.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:31 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:17 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
John K wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

I agree.

Vs. common opponents-

The UM TD returns affected their total yards, but probably not ypp. The scariest thing about UM is it’s ability to score on defense and special teams.
Yes, I agree with you 100% about that. I think that may be the true X factor, even more than Ifanse's health, or McKay's effectiveness. All the stats point to the two teams being almost completely dead even. If we take care of the ball, that should give us a slight edge, but if they get one or two scores from their defense and/or special teams, that might be too much for us to overcome. Even if they don't actually score, but if their defense/special teams just gives them some short fields to work with, or allows them to thwart a couple of our potential scoring drives, that's gonna be problematic for us. That's been their formula for success all season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:06 am

John K wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:31 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:17 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
John K wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

I agree.

Vs. common opponents-

Yes, I agree with you 100% about that. I think that may be the true X factor, even more than Ifanse's health, or McKay's effectiveness. All the stats point to the two teams being almost completely dead even. If we take care of the ball, that should give us a slight edge, but if they get one or two scores from their defense and/or special teams, that might be too much for us to overcome. Even if they don't actually score, but if their defense/special teams just gives them some short fields to work with, or allows them to thwart a couple of our potential scoring drives, that's gonna be problematic for us. That's been their formula for success all season.
I think UM needs to have a good game in terms of STs and D to have a shot at winning. I think the rest of it favors MSU. I think MSU's defense will shut down UM's offense. I think MSU will figure out UM's blitzing schemes and have similar, but less, success to SAC and EWU. I can see the Cats scoring in the mid 20s. I can only see the Griz scoring in the mid 20s if they do as already mentioned.

A lot of people have mentioned that MSU's OL isn't as good as 2019. That is probably true, but MSU is more balanced. The bigger change is that MSU's defense is better than it was in 2019 when it held UM's offense to 14 points. Seven of which came after a long KO return. Sneed was limited that day, but Knight played and they had Toure and Louis-McGee. I'm not sure how healthy Humphrey is relative to Sneed in 2019. I don't think their back or receivers are as good. I imagine their line has improved.

The game is in Missoula, but at this point (MSU has played at Wyoming, at Weber St. and at EWU) I don't think that's as big of an advantage as would normally be. It's a crazy rivalry game though, so none of that probably matters.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:16 pm

I spoke with a Griz club member today. He said Monday that Bob Hawk is absolutely preparing for Ifanse to play Saturday. I guess if Isaiah does not play and we kick their butt again Hawk will have an excuse - again. But I sure hope he plays.

info197176

Post by info197176 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Short answer….yes

Born2BaGriz wrote:
2506 is like the guys who bitches about Hugh Heffner having three girlfriends and goes home alone to his dog every night

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 pm

info197176 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:20 pm
Short answer….yes
Good today, yes. Not so good against Southern Utah, Sac, EWU.

But congrats on the win today, griz played the best game I've seen them play this season by far.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:06 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 pm
info197176 wrote:
Short answer….yes

But congrats on the win today, griz played the best game I've seen them play this season by far.
They were good on defense and special teams. That's what has them in the position they're in for sure. If they had a good offense, they'd probably be undefeated. So would a lot of teams.

toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:30 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
info197176 wrote:
Short answer….yes

They were good on defense and special teams. That's what has them in the position they're in for sure. If they had a good offense, they'd probably be undefeated. So would a lot of teams.
Yes, MSU among them...

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Do you think Griz nation will implode when Eastern Washington beats them in the second round.

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:31 pm

golden77 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm
Do you think Griz nation will implode when Eastern Washington beats them in the second round.
Nothing like Bobcat nation’s implosion after the Griz beat the Cats (see “Ash 2.0,” etc., in the BC Nation football forum).

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:31 pm
golden77 wrote:
Nothing like Bobcat nation’s implosion after the Griz beat the Cats (see “Ash 2.0,” etc., in the BC Nation football forum).
If that game happens it will be really fun to watch. Will UM have the same chip on their shoulder that they had last week and want revenge on EWU? Sometimes the relief after a game like that may subliminally have you relax a bit. 50/50 on which way it goes. It's so tough to stay that fired up for 14 days.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:13 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:47 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:
If that game happens it will be really fun to watch. Will UM have the same chip on their shoulder that they had last week and want revenge on EWU? Sometimes the relief after a game like that may subliminally have you relax a bit. 50/50 on which way it goes. It's so tough to stay that fired up for 14 days.
Not to be Captain Obvious but I also think that EWU's offense matches up much better with um's defense.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:06 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:13 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:
Not to be Captain Obvious but I also think that EWU's offense matches up much better with um's defense.
I watched the entire MSU-EWU game on TV. The Cats defense was brutally tough. Any team that plays EWU should watch that game over and over and try to replicate what MSU did. Easier said than done.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:06 pm
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:
I watched the entire MSU-EWU game on TV. The Cats defense was brutally tough. Any team that plays EWU should watch that game over and over and try to replicate what MSU did. Easier said than done.
A big factor in that was the sideline-to-sideline speed of #15 keeping Barriere from getting much with his legs.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:
A big factor in that was the sideline-to-sideline speed of #15 keeping Barriere from getting much with his legs.

The difference I saw was in MSU D vs EWU O, MSU was able to apply pressure with 4, the strategy was to squeeze the pocket and contain EB3, this gave him less time to throw and his only out was straight up, he couldn't escape and extend the play as often. Also our run base run defense was able to limit their run game. If he did escape #15's closing speed was too fast and he still didn't have the time to find the open man. Our backend was good enough to employ this system.

The UM D vs EWU O matchup employed a different strategy. um cant get pressure with 4, if they did only send 4 EB3 had all day to find a receiver, or they ran the ball successfully since there were less people in the box. If um applied pressure by sending 5 or 6, EB3 could still escape and um had only a nose guard that drops back to cover EB3's escape, he wasn't fast enough. Since the receivers were all manned up they could get open or EB3 could run for positive yards.

WSU was able to get pressure with 4 and 5, their secondary is good enough to hold them at bay, plus they were helped greatly by the ST play of both teams

It would take an entire changeup of the um defensive strategy for um to stop EWU consistently. The high pressure defense is made for schoolyard players like EB3. To beat him you need to make him a pocket passer and squeeze the pocket.

Just my 2 cents on what I saw against EWU. I think the matchup favors EWU, if EWU can take care of business against UNI.

the other wildcard here is what's going on internally at EWU, coaches leaving, players feeling left out with not getting a seed. HC acting like a dick ect... Does that team do what we have seen before and rise up and make a run, or do they have some internal goings on that makes them implode. I really don't know what is happening there and think it could go either way, if the game against Davis is an indicator I would say they make a run in the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder, not unusual for EWU. I could actually see them going all the way to Fargo.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:45 am

91catAlum wrote:
info197176 wrote:
Short answer….yes

Strongly trending upward heading into postseason play. That’s what matters. Typical Hauck team.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
golden77 wrote:

The difference I saw was in MSU D vs EWU O, MSU was able to apply pressure with 4, the strategy was to squeeze the pocket and contain EB3, this gave him less time to throw and his only out was straight up, he couldn't escape and extend the play as often. Also our run base run defense was able to limit their run game. If he did escape #15's closing speed was too fast and he still didn't have the time to find the open man. Our backend was good enough to employ this system.

The UM D vs EWU O matchup employed a different strategy. um cant get pressure with 4, if they did only send 4 EB3 had all day to find a receiver, or they ran the ball successfully since there were less people in the box. If um applied pressure by sending 5 or 6, EB3 could still escape and um had only a nose guard that drops back to cover EB3's escape, he wasn't fast enough. Since the receivers were all manned up they could get open or EB3 could run for positive yards.

WSU was able to get pressure with 4 and 5, their secondary is good enough to hold them at bay, plus they were helped greatly by the ST play of both teams

It would take an entire changeup of the um defensive strategy for um to stop EWU consistently. The high pressure defense is made for schoolyard players like EB3. To beat him you need to make him a pocket passer and squeeze the pocket.

Just my 2 cents on what I saw against EWU. I think the matchup favors EWU, if EWU can take care of business against UNI.

the other wildcard here is what's going on internally at EWU, coaches leaving, players feeling left out with not getting a seed. HC acting like a dick ect... Does that team do what we have seen before and rise up and make a run, or do they have some internal goings on that makes them implode. I really don't know what is happening there and think it could go either way, if the game against Davis is an indicator I would say they make a run in the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder, not unusual for EWU. I could actually see them going all the way to Fargo.
The difference was steady 30mph wind gusts when MSU played EWU.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA