IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:14 pm

I spoke with a grizzly fan tonight who said the cats will be lucky to score against them. Their D is that good. No way we can run the ball against them. I just smiled. We’ve heard it all before.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:41 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:14 pm
I spoke with a grizzly fan tonight who said the cats will be lucky to score against them. Their D is that good. No way we can run the ball against them. I just smiled. We’ve heard it all before.
It would be interesting to finish the conversation at about 5pm on the 20th...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:13 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
That person must have a short memory. Must only go back somewhere between 14-48 days.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:20 pm

The real question is which Griz assistant coach will “resign” on November 21st?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:38 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
I wouldn't go that far, but that is where the game will be won or lost.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:38 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
My bet is Robbie has 20+ tackles after 8 yard gains.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:19 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:38 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Guess it depends on how you look at it but I see it differently. Both teams have great defenses. I’m biased so I think Cats are better. But our defenses don’t play one another.

I see this game decided by which offense can make plays against these stout D’s. Can the griz poor o-line hold up against our rush? Can our offense move the ball against a stacked box expecting the run?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:03 am

Why don't we get choate to come up and walk up and down the sidelines for the cat griz game. Occasionally talk to Coach Vigen but not to call plays, just cheerlead and to get inside Bobby's mind. :-^

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:19 pm

I was feeling pretty confident about this game, but my optimism has been tempered a little bit after the Idaho game. Not only was our offense very underwhelming, but the injuries to Ifanse, Elliot, and Sessions also change the equation somewhat, especially Ifanse. I still think we are slightly better, with Ifanse at 100%, or at least close to that. The Griz have played very well the last two weeks though, outscoring UNCU and NAU by a combined 65-3. I hate to say this, but without Ifanse, I think UM probably has a slight edge, especially with the game being played in Missoula. I'm certain about one thing though, the ending won't be as dramatic as it was in 2018, and it won't be as much of a blowout as it was in 2019, for either team. Fortunately, we're assured of a top 8 seed either way, but obviously a top 2 seed would be much better, which we should get with a win.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:41 pm

MSU Defense > UM Defense

MSU Offensive >>> UM Offense

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:08 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:41 pm
MSU Defense > UM Defense

My heart tells me that's true. But our common opponents (UNCO, UI, EWU) tell my head that the first is reasonable but that the second should be ==.

Hope that my heart is right & my head is wrong.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

This is true for the MSU offense that showed up in Cheney. But the one from the Idaho game is more like
MSU Offensive <= UM Offense

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:08 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

My heart tells me that's true. But our common opponents (UNCO, UI, EWU) tell my head that the first is reasonable but that the second should be ==.

Idk. The Griz just scored 16 offensive points on Northern Arizona, who doesn’t have a stellar defense. If you can prevent turnovers, we will absolutely beat them. Their offense isn’t that great.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:05 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

This is true for the MSU offense that showed up in Cheney. But the one from the Idaho game is more like
Yeah, I probably overstated that.

I would say a healthy MSU offense is better than UM, but it's close.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:05 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

Yeah, I probably overstated that.

I would say a healthy MSU offense is better than UM, but it's close.
I agree. I think it all comes down to the health of specific players. If Cam and Ifanse are both healthy, I think we have the slight edge. If they get even their #2 or #3 RB back, that probably evens it up, especially now with TJ out for the Cats.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:24 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

Idk. The Griz just scored 16 offensive points on Northern Arizona, who doesn’t have a stellar defense. If you can prevent turnovers, we will absolutely beat them. Their offense isn’t that great.
And cover very well on special teams. Malik Flowers is dangerous if not contained.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:24 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

And cover very well on special teams. Malik Flowers is dangerous if not contained.
Thought he was hurt?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:16 pm

onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

I believe we've had only three common opponents, right? We beat Cal Poly 45-7, and they won 39-7, so very close. We beat UNCU 40-7, and UM won 35-0...also very close. Of course EWU was the only common opponent that wasn't a bottom feeder, and we won 23-20, while they lost 34-28. Both games were very close, but we really should have won by a much larger margin than that, and UM probably should have lost by a much larger margin, for whatever that's worth.

All season long, a big portion of their "offense" has come from their defense and special teams, so limiting our own turnovers is obviously going to be crucial. We were something like plus 12 in turnover margin over the first 8 games, but we've been minus 3 the last 2 games. Their defense makes a living off of bringing pressure, almost every down it seems like, and if the opposing QB lets that rattle him into making mistakes, then it becomes a very long day for him and his team. If the QB can handle the pressure though, then there are plays available to be made for the Griz opponents. Is McKay going to be able to handle the pressure? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question, and we won't know until he's had a few possessions under his belt on Saturday.

Fans have been bashing him pretty good after the Idaho game, but I just went back and watched the EWU game again, and he played very well against them. He threw the ball effectively, and of course he also had that 56 yard TD run. If he can play like that against the Griz, then I have to feel pretty good about our chances. If he plays like he did against UI, then it might be a struggle to score enough points to win, with or without Ifanse.

In 2019, the Griz knew we were gonna run it almost every down, but they still couldn't stop our running game. Our 2019 O-line was better though, than it is this year. Ifanse and Jones had lots of big games that year, but the line was so good that we could plug in Sumner or Perry or Hosey, and they were almost as effective. Ifanse is having another great season obviously, but there is much more of a drop off this year, when the #2 or #3 running back is in there. Elliott has played pretty well at times, but he's no Ifanse, in terms of getting those tough yards when you really need them. Sumner struggled against Idaho, until the the final possession, when he finally ran pretty effectively.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 pm

John K wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:16 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

I believe we've had only three common opponents, right? We beat Cal Poly 45-7, and they won 39-7, so very close. We beat UNCU 40-7, and UM won 35-0...also very close. Of course EWU was the only common opponent that wasn't a bottom feeder, and we won 23-20, while they lost 34-28. Both games were very close, but we really should have won by a much larger margin than that, and UM probably should have lost by a much larger margin, for whatever that's worth.

All season long, a big portion of their "offense" has come from their defense and special teams, so limiting our own turnovers is obviously going to be crucial. We were something like plus 12 in turnover margin over the first 8 games, but we've been minus 3 the last 2 games. Their defense makes a living off of bringing pressure, almost every down it seems like, and if the opposing QB lets that rattle him into making mistakes, then it becomes a very long day for him and his team. If the QB can handle the pressure though, then there are plays available to be made for the Griz opponents. Is McKay going to be able to handle the pressure? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question, and we won't know until he's had a few possessions under his belt on Saturday.

Fans have been bashing him pretty good after the Idaho game, but I just went back and watched the EWU game again, and he played very well against them. He threw the ball effectively, and of course he also had that 56 yard TD run. If he can play like that against the Griz, then I have to feel pretty good about our chances. If he plays like he did against UI, then it might be a struggle to score enough points to win, with or without Ifanse.

In 2019, the Griz knew we were gonna run it almost every down, but they still couldn't stop our running game. Our 2019 O-line was better though, than it is this year. Ifanse and Jones had lots of big games that year, but the line was so good that we could plug in Sumner or Perry or Hosey, and they were almost as effective. Ifanse is having another great season obviously, but there is much more of a drop off this year, when the #2 or #3 running back is in there. Elliott has played pretty well at times, but he's no Ifanse, in terms of getting those tough yards when you really need them. Sumner struggled against Idaho, until the the final possession, when he finally ran pretty effectively.
Griz played Idaho as well.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 pm
John K wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:16 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU Defense > UM Defense

Griz played Idaho as well.
UM scored 34, Cats scored 20. Two scores set up by the Griz D.

One of the Griz scores at EWU was a kick return for TD.

I have a hard time saying anything but =.