IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:25 am

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 am
One thing I am certain- they’ll be ready to play us.
No question.

But unless their offense gets WAY better, or they’re already good and just not showing anything until the final game of the season; our defense should have a career day.

Trying to be objective but based on what we’ve seen, is there anything they do on offense in which they’d be favored over our defense?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:52 am

UM really does seem to be getting worse every week. A one point win, over a one win team rated 12th out of 13 teams in the BSC according to Sagarin, at home no less, where they used to be almost invincible. A gift win, made possible only because SUU is so inept at kicking FG and XP. They should have gone for 2 after their 2nd TD. I had a bad feeling that missed XP on their first TD might come back to haunt them, and that's exactly what happened.

Another thing I noticed, is there appeared to be lots of empty seats, which is another thing that used to be almost unheard of at Wa-Griz. Are some of their fair weather fans starting to jump off the bandwagon? I'd be curious to see what the attendance was yesterday.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:32 am

OverRTD

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:36 am

John K wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:52 am
UM really does seem to be getting worse every week. A one point win, over a one win team rated 12th out of 13 teams in the BSC according to Sagarin, at home no less, where they used to be almost invincible. A gift win, made possible only because SUU is so inept at kicking FG and XP. They should have gone for 2 after their 2nd TD. I had a bad feeling that missed XP on their first TD might come back to haunt them, and that's exactly what happened.

Another thing I noticed, is there appeared to be lots of empty seats, which is another thing that used to be almost unheard of at Wa-Griz. Are some of their fair weather fans starting to jump off the bandwagon? I'd be curious to see what the attendance was yesterday.
ESPN shows their reported attendance was 22,587 (they had 24,305 for Sac State and 23,434 for Dixie State)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /401328072

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:49 am

Rich K wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:36 am
John K wrote:

ESPN shows their reported attendance was 22,587 (they had 24,305 for Sac State and 23,434 for Dixie State)
Even Brint over on egriz said there was no way there was 22,500 yesterday. And even fewer in the 2nd half.

Not that this is unique to UM. They have a great fanbase and come out in droves when the product is good. Like almost every university in the country, sans EWU. :lol:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:08 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:36 am
John K wrote:

Reported attendance is tickets sold, not tickets scanned, right?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:10 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:11 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:37 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:58 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:53 pm
I see that Humphrey played some but not the whole game, any reason why just a little?

The griz seem to play down to a bad teams level
After a couple of series with Kris Brown at QB Humphrey took over. I believe it was on UM's last possession of the first half that Humphrey came down hard on his right ankle and gimped off the field. That, I believe, was the last we saw of Humphrey.
In what seems like recent Griz tradition, they rushed a QB back from an injury only to see him get injured again.
I think it's just Hauck playing Hauck games
He's trotting the kid out for a series endangering his health to make other teams think they need to prepare for their other QB.
I really don’t think it’s that deep. Brown had fumbled already, they thought Humphrey would be better even if not completely healthy.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:21 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:10 pm
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
I see that Humphrey played some but not the whole game, any reason why just a little?

After a couple of series with Kris Brown at QB Humphrey took over. I believe it was on UM's last possession of the first half that Humphrey came down hard on his right ankle and gimped off the field. That, I believe, was the last we saw of Humphrey.
In what seems like recent Griz tradition, they rushed a QB back from an injury only to see him get injured again.
He's trotting the kid out for a series endangering his health to make other teams think they need to prepare for their other QB.
I really don’t think it’s that deep. Brown had fumbled already, they thought Humphrey would be better even if not completely healthy.
I agree.

Not to mention, it’s not like they are two very different qb’s that a defense would have to prepare for. Ones not a pocket passer while the other is an elusive running qb. Their style of play is almost identical. And let’s be honest, I don’t know that there’s a defense in the league too fearful of facing either one of them.

My guess is before the game they had a plan to get Cam some reps. And honestly I thought he played just fine. But as was mentioned his ankle got rolled over just before half, (no clue if it was the same injured one) he limped off and didn’t play again.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:21 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

Maybe you're right. But what was he doing warming up for the game two weeks ago as if he was going to start? Hauck does that crap.
What I think is funny is how griz fans cry and complain about BSC referees. It's ironic because nobody has been the beneficiary of the referee home cookin' like they have for years. A couple calls don't go their way and waaaaa, waaaaa waaaaa.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:21 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:21 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

Maybe you're right. But what was he doing warming up for the game two weeks ago as if he was going to start? Hauck does that crap.
What I think is funny is how griz fans cry and complain about BSC referees. It's ironic because nobody has been the beneficiary of the referee home cookin' like they have for years. A couple calls don't go their way and waaaaa, waaaaa waaaaa.
There were a lot of calls that went against them, but when you watched the replay, they were usually the correct calls. All the turnovers were correct. The offsides penalties that allowed SUU to take deep shots, or give SUU a first down, were correct. I didn't watch the entire game but all the penalties I saw were correct.

And the griz got 2 very, very generous spots at the end to ice the game with 2 first downs. VERY generous spots.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:18 pm

John K wrote:
Yeah, SUU had a lot plays that they're probably kicking themselves over. Especially the receiver that had the ball go off his hands and right to UM's Ford, who took it for a TD. That's a killer.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:10 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:21 pm
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

There were a lot of calls that went against them, but when you watched the replay, they were usually the correct calls. All the turnovers were correct. The offsides penalties that allowed SUU to take deep shots, or give SUU a first down, were correct. I didn't watch the entire game but all the penalties I saw were correct.

And the griz got 2 very, very generous spots at the end to ice the game with 2 first downs. VERY generous spots.
I still can't figure out how they let the first of the two spots go without a review. Akem looked to be on his knees short of the first down and then fell forward to the line. The second spot looked correct as the ball appeared to cross the line before the RB was pushed back.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:28 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

I still can't figure out how they let the first of the two spots go without a review. Akem looked to be on his knees short of the first down and then fell forward to the line. The second spot looked correct as the ball appeared to cross the line before the RB was pushed back.
Yes, add that to the good fortune UM received in this game, yet they're somehow acting like all the bad luck went against them because Bobby said so. Pick six, missed XP, block FG for the win, and now getting first downs that they didn't get.

I'm sure there will be a new excuse in a day or two.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:49 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:28 pm
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

Yes, add that to the good fortune UM received in this game, yet they're somehow acting like all the bad luck went against them because Bobby said so. Pick six, missed XP, block FG for the win, and now getting first downs that they didn't get.

Colter and Riley Corcoran went on for about 10 minutes about how the griz got screwed all game by the refs.
Love listening to that show but today was a bit over the top on the officiating.

Corcoran even said something about the Targeting call that was waived off. It was absolutely not targeting and was correctly waived off, but of course he thinks it should've stood.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:49 pm
iaafan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

Colter and Riley Corcoran went on for about 10 minutes about how the griz got screwed all game by the refs.
Love listening to that show but today was a bit over the top on the officiating.

Corcoran even said something about the Targeting call that was waived off. It was absolutely not targeting and was correctly waived off, but of course he thinks it should've stood.
Riley is brutal to listen to.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:38 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 pm
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Riley is brutal to listen to.
Wait until the griz lose this weekend and wonder if they blame the refs or the dirty play of SUU...

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:09 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:38 pm

Wait until the griz lose this weekend and wonder if they blame the refs or the dirty play of SUU...
I can see it now, they were just too beat up after playing in SUU's Super Bowl to get ready for the threats caused by UNCU with their tight pants and souvenir clipboard giveaways.

Seriously though, I think UM wins pretty easily this week and then stumbles against NAU the following week. I'd rather they win both and gain back some of their unfounded overconfidence.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:27 am

91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

I was a bit surprised to hear Colter talk that way as well. He’s usually far more level-headed than that. I rewatched their game and the officiating seemed identical to the officiating of every big Sky game I have seen. This is nothing new, and there wasn’t anything that jumped out at me as being terribly bad.

I swear if you read egriz these days, the griz are the first team in the history of football to have injuries and deal with officiating that isn’t great. Can’t recall a time I’ve heard so many excuses for such a long period of time from those guys.

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:32 am
OverRTD
👀

Oh damn!!!

Solid work right there. Haha.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:27 am
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:

I was a bit surprised to hear Colter talk that way as well. He’s usually far more level-headed than that. I rewatched their game and the officiating seemed identical to the officiating of every big Sky game I have seen. This is nothing new, and there wasn’t anything that jumped out at me as being terribly bad.

I swear if you read egriz these days, the griz are the first team in the history of football to have injuries and deal with officiating that isn’t great. Can’t recall a time I’ve heard so many excuses for such a long period of time from those guys.
Hauck has a cult following over there. Imagine if Stitt or Delaney were having a season like this and saying the goofy things that Hauck has been saying. If anyone else had blown the 2018 Cat-Griz game and been summarily trashed in 2019, they'd be on their way out right now. With Hauck they're willing to make every excuse in the book for him and believe the lame ones he comes up with. Turns out the golden boy isn't everything they thought he was, but they'll never admit to it.