2006 BobcatNation Bracket Challenge -- Full Details Inside!!

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

2006 BobcatNation Bracket Challenge -- Full Details Inside!!

Post by kmax » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:06 am

Entries are now closed and the 2006 BobcatNation Bracket Challenge is underway!! See below for official rules, and the next post for standings information.

That's right, the BobcatNation Bracket Challenge is back for another great year! Our inaugural run last year proved a great success with 43 entrants and canyoncat taking the top honors and a nice prize furnished by Cat-theotherwhitemeat. This year, with the BobcatNation store up and running, we will be furnishing prizes of slick BobcatNation merchandise!!

Prizes Breakdown:
1st Prize: Winner's choice of any 1 (one) item from the BobcatNation store (up to $29.99 value)

2nd Prize: Runner-Up's choice of a BobcatNation mug ($13.99 value) or a BobcatNation mousepad ($12.99 value)

Consolation: For the entry with the most correct First round picks, that does not win either the 1st or 2nd Place prize, a BobcatNation sticker pack. This will be 1 (one) each of the three BobcatNation stickers, Oval Sticker, Rectangular Sticker & Bumper Sticker ($10.97 value)

Official Contest Rules:
1. Staff of BobcatNation.com (Bay Area Cat, kmax & rtb) will not be eligible for a prize but will be allowed to compete in the contest. Should any staff member win the contest, the prize will be awarded to the next highest eligible entry based on scoring and tiebreaker rules listed below.

2. The Bracket Challenge is completely free to enter, however a valid BobcatNation.com message board login is required to submit a bracket entry.

3. Only one bracket entry will be allowed per message board user.

4. Submissions will be accepted beginning as soon after Selection Sunday(Mar. 12th) as we can get the teams entered until 10:00 AM Mountain time on Thursday Mar. 16th.

5. Once submitted, all brackets are final and cannot be modified.

6. Scoring of the bracket entries will be as follows:
• 1 point per correct Round 1 pick – Maximum 32 points possible for Round 1
• 2 points per correct Round 2 pick – Maximum 32 points possible for Round 2
• 4 points per correct Sweet Sixteen pick – Maximum 32 points possible for Round of Sixteen
• 6 points per correct Elite Eight pick – Maximum 24 points possible for Round of Eight
• 8 points per correct Final Four pick – Maximum 16 points possible for Semi-Finals
• 12 points for correct Finals pick

7. The winner of the 2006 BobcatNation.com Bracket Challenge and recipient of eternal message board praise will be the entry with the most points per the scoring system above.

8. Should more than one entry be tied following the conclusion of the tournament, all ties will be broken by first looking at the most correct first round picks, then the most correct second round picks, etc. until a winner is found. Should more than one entry still be tied after this, a coin flip will decide the winner.

9. The winner of the contest will be contacted following conclusion of the contest via both message board private message and at the email address listed in their message board profile. BobcatNation.com will make every effort to contact the winner, however we are not responsible for failure of winner to check private messages or provide a valid email address. All prizes will be shipped directly to the winners.

10. Game results will be updated as regularly as possible throughout the tournament. As soon as game results are updated, scores for all entries will be recalculated. Please be patient, we are all busy and we may not be able to update the results immediately after each game.

11. These rules are subject to change to ensure the integrity of the game. Any changes to these rules will be announced in this post. Official rules can always be found at http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatboard ... 1586#71586

12. Any attempt to circumvent the rules of this contest or alter its outcome by a user will result in immediate disqualification of entry and banning from BobcatNation message boards.

I know we are looking forward to this again, it was a lot of fun last year. Check back here on Sunday night or Monday morning and I will add links to the bracket submission form.
Last edited by kmax on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:27 pm

Alright, the teams are entered and the Bracket Challenge is now underway!!!!!

To steal my instructions directly from the thread last year, here is all the info you need to know:

To submit your bracket go to http://www.bobcatnation.com/bracket/bracket.php (remember all brackets must be in by 10:00 am Mountain, Thursday March 16th)

To view brackets that have been submitted as well as results once the tourney gets underway go to http://www.bobcatnation.com/bracket/standings.php You will also be taken to this page after submitting your bracket.

Hopefully there will be no probems for anyway in using the bracket submission page. A couple of notes and known issues for users:

1. The page has been tested on IE 5.5, IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.5 and is generally working on these. You will need to have at least IE 5.0 or higher or a recent version of Mozilla/Firefox, though only the previously mentioned have actually been tested. I am not a Mac user, so I have no idea whether the page will work with Safari or not.

2. You will need to have cookies and javascript enable to use the page.

3. It is recommended that you have a resolution of at least 1024x768. The page should work at lesser resolutions, but may be difficult to use.

4. Two known issues: On IE 6.0, the bracket is being displayed wider than it should for some reason. My apologies, but users of this version may have a bit of horizontal scrolling to submit their entries. On Firefox, sometimes when loading the bracket some of the bracket lines are not showing up. All teams load and the page is fully functional, but you may not be able to see some of the bracket lines. If you can't understand the bracket without the lines, reload the page until all lines show, they should eventually show up.

If anyone has any further problems please either post them in here or send me and instant message and I will try to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

Have fun everyone!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

lifeloyalsigmsu
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by lifeloyalsigmsu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:49 pm

kmax wrote:Alright, the teams are entered and the Bracket Challenge is now underway!!!!!

To steal my instructions directly from the thread last year, here is all the info you need to know:

To submit your bracket go to http://www.bobcatnation.com/bracket/bracket.php (remember all brackets must be in by 10:00 am Mountain, Thursday March 16th)

To view brackets that have been submitted as well as results once the tourney gets underway go to http://www.bobcatnation.com/bracket/standings.php You will also be taken to this page after submitting your bracket.

Hopefully there will be no probems for anyway in using the bracket submission page. A couple of notes and known issues for users:

1. The page has been tested on IE 5.5, IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.5 and is generally working on these. You will need to have at least IE 5.0 or higher or a recent version of Mozilla/Firefox, though only the previously mentioned have actually been tested. I am not a Mac user, so I have no idea whether the page will work with Safari or not.

2. You will need to have cookies and javascript enable to use the page.

3. It is recommended that you have a resolution of at least 1024x768. The page should work at lesser resolutions, but may be difficult to use.

4. Two known issues: On IE 6.0, the bracket is being displayed wider than it should for some reason. My apologies, but users of this version may have a bit of horizontal scrolling to submit their entries. On Firefox, sometimes when loading the bracket some of the bracket lines are not showing up. All teams load and the page is fully functional, but you may not be able to see some of the bracket lines. If you can't understand the bracket without the lines, reload the page until all lines show, they should eventually show up.

If anyone has any further problems please either post them in here or send me and instant message and I will try to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

Have fun everyone!
I had a change of heart on a few picks, but it seems that once you submit the brackets your first time, that's what you're locked into. Is that correct or am I missing some link that will allow me to change my picks before tomorrow's deadline?

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." --Thomas Reed

rtb

Re: 2006 BobcatNation Bracket Challenge -- Full Details Insi

Post by rtb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 pm

kmax wrote:5. Once submitted, all brackets are final and cannot be modified.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:35 am

Cripes, did enough people pick UConn vs. Duke for the finals? :thumbdown: grow some balls, people!

Just kidding...be sure to wave at me from the top when I'm in last place by Sunday afternoon.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:38 am

MSU01 wrote:Cripes, did enough people pick UConn vs. Duke for the finals? :thumbdown: grow some balls, people!

Just kidding...be sure to wave at me from the top when I'm in last place by Sunday afternoon.
Guilty, but then since I can't win I just decided to try an experiment. My picks are the majority picks from all of the combined ESPN user submitted brackets (they call it the national bracket).

Edit: And yes, as rtb pointed out, all bracket submissions are final. When you submitted your bracket there was even a popup warning that told you this and forced you to click OK if you wanted to continue with submission.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:02 am

And entries are now closed! In all we have 69 entries in this years Bracket Challenge. Good luck everyone, and now let the tourney begin!!!!

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:11 am

And if you are a Griz fan that wins we will give the merchandise to the next highest finisher! :lol:

Ok, maybe we will send you your prize and request that the winner sends up back a digital picture of them in the shirt so that we can use it for promos.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:17 am

rtb wrote:And if you are a Griz fan that wins we will give the merchandise to the next highest finisher! :lol:

Ok, maybe we will send you your prize and request that the winner sends up back a digital picture of them in the shirt so that we can use it for promos.
NO! Send the prizes to me in Missoula. I will agree to meet the person at lets say the Iron Horse and will hand over the prize and I will take the digital picture of he/she with all of his friends cheering him/her on, and forward it on. :yes:

G.W.Bush
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by G.W.Bush » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:12 pm

How many people did brackets last year?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:18 pm

G.W.Bush wrote:How many people did brackets last year?
kmax wrote:That's right, the BobcatNation Bracket Challenge is back for another great year! Our inaugural run last year proved a great success with 43 entrants and canyoncat taking the top honors and a nice prize furnished by Cat-theotherwhitemeat. This year, with the BobcatNation store up and running, we will be furnishing prizes of slick BobcatNation merchandise!!

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:29 am

What do you give for dead last?????

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:17 am

kcatz wrote:What do you give for dead last?????
Autographed nude of bearBAC

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:30 am

catamaran wrote:
kcatz wrote:What do you give for dead last?????
Autographed nude of bearBAC
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:30 am

But it makes you not want to finish last :lol:

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 pm

I hate :evil:
1) gonzaga
2) Duke
3) Ohio State
4) Lsu and texas......

My bracket is dead

This space for rent....

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:08 pm

My bracket is dead also with only three teams left and not one of those being a national title game team for me and somehow I moved up into a tie for second after yesterday...I don't know why, but I just don't see finishing up there :lol:

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 pm

well only one of my final 4 teams is left....Ucon
and my champion gonzaga just got eliminated by former NAU coach Howland's UCLA club

This space for rent....

rtb

Post by rtb » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:19 pm

In my money pools I have Memphis, Texas and UConn left. All I need tonight is a Nova win and then for them to lose on Sunday and I am in the money! There is a chance I can sneak up to 2nd in the BobcatNation pool, but that just means fourth place would get a prize and we don't want that do we? :D

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm

rtb wrote:In my money pools I have Memphis, Texas and UConn left. All I need tonight is a Nova win and then for them to lose on Sunday and I am in the money! There is a chance I can sneak up to 2nd in the BobcatNation pool, but that just means fourth place would get a prize and we don't want that do we? :D
now that would be cool!!! 4th place getting the prize

This space for rent....