IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by The Butcher » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:40 pm
Big news for the Big Sky: https://bigskyconf.com/news/2021/9/20/m ... espn2.aspx
I was really surprised to see this announcement. Good for the Big Sky (even though it is the griz). I wonder if this is due in part to conferences having their own TV deals. I remember when ESPN and ESPN2 were solid football games on Saturdays, but not anymore. Maybe it is just getting harder and harder to get games from the P5. Anyway- great exposure for the Big Sky.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Big news for the Big Sky: https://bigskyconf.com/news/2021/9/20/m ... espn2.aspx
I hope it's a good game. This is good exposure for the conference but I would think if it's a nail-biter it will help with ratings and therefore the chances of this happening more often.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm

catbooster wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 pm
coloradocat wrote:
I hope it's a good game. This is good exposure for the conference but I would think if it's a nail-biter it will help with ratings and therefore the chances of this happening more often.
I honestly hope it's an EWU ass beating. The Fizz fans are not going to stop beating their chests until the cats drag them up and down the field for the fifth year in a row.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 pm

seataccat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm
catbooster wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
I honestly hope it's an EWU ass beating. The Fizz fans are not going to stop beating their chests until the cats drag them up and down the field for the fifth year in a row.
Just curious. Does "...an EWU ass beating" mean EWU gets their ass beat or they beat the Griz' ass?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:49 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 am
griz5700 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 am
cats2506 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:46 am
griz5700 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 pm
Washington played UM without three of its most productive offensive players. Jalen McMillan also missed the Michigan game. He had 10 catches for 175 yards and a TD yesterday. Another WR, Terrell Bynum, has had nine catches for 179 yards and two TDs the past two games. RB Sean McGrew had six runs for 31 yards and a first half TD in his first game back yesterday.

The Huskies put a beatdown on Ark. State 52-3. UM is good, there's no doubt in my mind about that. My point regarding FCS wins over FBS teams, even Top 25 teams, is that they don't always mean much in the long run. Of the five previous winners only one has won the title, two lost out in the semis (one of those was NDSU and it was the only title they didn't win in during a nine-year stretch), and one didn't make the playoffs. The other Cincy, was in the IAA (FCS) on a technicality, so I shouldn't even count them. So you have a little bit of everything there.

I think UM is at least a quarter-final team this year. If they go unbeaten and win the BSC, then I'd say at least a semi-finalist. I think they'll beat EWU on the road and most likely be undefeated when MSU plays in Missoula. Barring any unforeseen issues (injuries, COVID) for either team, I think MSU will be either 9-1 or 8-2 (6-1, BSC) for that game and it could be for the league title. I don't see MSU losing to EWU right now either. The biggest game in the BSC chase will be when MSU travels to Weber State. The winner of that has a good shot at catching UM for the BSC title and auto-bid.
Griz won without their top two RBs and would have still won if Akem, Roberts, and Sulser were out also.
Your probably right, your QB couldn't complete a pass to those WR's for most of the game.
Griz will be very dangerous later in the year when Kris Brown is throwing to Flowers, White, Simpson, and Roberts. And Akem….occasionally.
You think he'll end up being your starter at some point? Seems like a hot-button issue over there.
Yes.

Kris Brown is the most talented QB the Griz have ever had. There I said. And it’s without question in my opinion. He’s got legit next level skill and athleticism. 6’4, 220, super quick release, huge arm, fast, strong. He checks every box physically and played well when Humphrey got KO’d in the spring. Yes, it was against CWU, but he looked at total ease running the show. His play in fall camp reflected that also.

If Cam had the exact same skill and athleticism he does now but was a R-FR like brown, there would be no question who the starter is.

There are some freshman on UM’s offense ready to burst onto the scene. But with returning senior starters in front of them, a favorable schedule, and a dominant defense, it will be a little while before we see them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is some good chit. The Griz have the best QB in program history, and Hauck has him riding the pine. That's precious.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:55 pm

While the Griz might have a good team this year, the folks at https://egriz.com/ still have the wrong football schedule for their beloved Griz. I wonder how many Griz faithful will be making the trip to Bozeman for Cat/Griz in November 20th? Tune in Saturday as the Griz host Dixie State.

But it's all good because the backup quarterback is the best player on the team, ever.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm

catbooster wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Normally I would think the ESPN2 broadcast would be great news for the Big Sky Conference and bring it a lot of exposure. However, the "exposure" of pokeman field causes seizures in children and irritable bowel syndrome in old men. Be very careful and limit your viewing.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:26 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:49 pm
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Washington played UM without three of its most productive offensive players. Jalen McMillan also missed the Michigan game. He had 10 catches for 175 yards and a TD yesterday. Another WR, Terrell Bynum, has had nine catches for 179 yards and two TDs the past two games. RB Sean McGrew had six runs for 31 yards and a first half TD in his first game back yesterday.

The Huskies put a beatdown on Ark. State 52-3. UM is good, there's no doubt in my mind about that. My point regarding FCS wins over FBS teams, even Top 25 teams, is that they don't always mean much in the long run. Of the five previous winners only one has won the title, two lost out in the semis (one of those was NDSU and it was the only title they didn't win in during a nine-year stretch), and one didn't make the playoffs. The other Cincy, was in the IAA (FCS) on a technicality, so I shouldn't even count them. So you have a little bit of everything there.

I think UM is at least a quarter-final team this year. If they go unbeaten and win the BSC, then I'd say at least a semi-finalist. I think they'll beat EWU on the road and most likely be undefeated when MSU plays in Missoula. Barring any unforeseen issues (injuries, COVID) for either team, I think MSU will be either 9-1 or 8-2 (6-1, BSC) for that game and it could be for the league title. I don't see MSU losing to EWU right now either. The biggest game in the BSC chase will be when MSU travels to Weber State. The winner of that has a good shot at catching UM for the BSC title and auto-bid.
Griz won without their top two RBs and would have still won if Akem, Roberts, and Sulser were out also.
Your probably right, your QB couldn't complete a pass to those WR's for most of the game.
Griz will be very dangerous later in the year when Kris Brown is throwing to Flowers, White, Simpson, and Roberts. And Akem….occasionally.
You think he'll end up being your starter at some point? Seems like a hot-button issue over there.
Yes.

Kris Brown is the most talented QB the Griz have ever had. There I said. And it’s without question in my opinion. He’s got legit next level skill and athleticism. 6’4, 220, super quick release, huge arm, fast, strong. He checks every box physically and played well when Humphrey got KO’d in the spring. Yes, it was against CWU, but he looked at total ease running the show. His play in fall camp reflected that also.

If Cam had the exact same skill and athleticism he does now but was a R-FR like brown, there would be no question who the starter is.

There are some freshman on UM’s offense ready to burst onto the scene. But with returning senior starters in front of them, a favorable schedule, and a dominant defense, it will be a little while before we see them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is some good chit. The Griz have the best QB in program history, and Hauck has him riding the pine. That's precious.
He said, "most talented" not best. Huge difference. I agree he is very talented.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

I really like KB too.

You think Hauck felt some sort of pressure or allegiance to Cam headed into fall? With all I heard about Brown, and your thoughts above, it seems odd he didn't win the job. It will be interesting to follow. Especially if the Griz keep winning with Cam at the helm.
Hauck actually does this a lot with players at all positions.

toM StUber

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 pm
seataccat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm
catbooster wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Just curious. Does "...an EWU ass beating" mean EWU gets their ass beat or they beat the Griz' ass?
Hoping EWU does the ass beating.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:51 pm

catatac wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

Sure is.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:59 am

catatac wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

And don’t forget that Hauck is not playing some guys because he doesn’t want to hurt the players feelings! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

I really like KB too.

You think Hauck felt some sort of pressure or allegiance to Cam headed into fall? With all I heard about Brown, and your thoughts above, it seems odd he didn't win the job. It will be interesting to follow. Especially if the Griz keep winning with Cam at the helm.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance.

The griz currently have the most talented qb they have ever had and he's on the bench. And Hauck has done this with a lot of other players? :shock:

I'm all for building depth. I love being excited about non-starters and their potential. But I cannot envision a scenario where you have a player that is the most talented ever at whatever position he's at, and he's not starting; or even barely playing.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:05 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 am
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

I really like KB too.

The griz currently have the most talented qb they have ever had and he's on the bench. And Hauck has done this with a lot of other players? :shock:

I'm all for building depth. I love being excited about non-starters and their potential. But I cannot envision a scenario where you have a player that is the most talented ever at whatever position he's at, and he's not starting; or even barely playing.
Ya, agree. That's just silly talk. Sure seems strange that a coach wouldn't play the 22 players that give his team the absolute best chance to win. In addition to pride, there's a lot of money riding on how many games they win. As for there being a huge difference between "Best" and "Most talented", I'm not sure if I even know what that means. Are you saying it might be like a TA situation, where TA might be the most talented player in the history of Bobcat football, but not at QB?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

Kris Brown is the future and could definitely be starting now. But Humphrey is a very good R-Sr. He initially signed with Boise State, was a solid juco signing for UM, and has played well so far this season.

A lot of people looked at his stats vs Washington and thought average player. My biggest takeaway was that he never turned the ball over. That was huge. He took a couple smart coverage sacks and didn’t force anything.

Decision making (Idaho 2019) is everyone’s biggest concern with Humphrey. If he protects the ball and stays healthy he’ll remain the QB all season. I’m skeptical he can do that but definitely not rooting against him.

As much as I’d love to see it, it just doesn’t make sense to play a talented Freshman over a very capable Senior. Especially not in September against Cal Poly. Now come late November, that’s a whole different story. The leash will tighten for everyone.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:57 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm
Kris Brown is the future and could definitely be starting now. But Humphrey is a very good R-Sr. He initially signed with Boise State, was a solid juco signing for UM, and has played well so far this season.

A lot of people looked at his stats vs Washington and thought average player. My biggest takeaway was that he never turned the ball over. That was huge. He took a couple smart coverage sacks and didn’t force anything.

Decision making (Idaho 2019) is everyone’s biggest concern with Humphrey. If he protects the ball and stays healthy he’ll remain the QB all season. I’m skeptical he can do that but definitely not rooting against him.

As much as I’d love to see it, it just doesn’t make sense to play a talented Freshman over a very capable Senior. Especially not in September against Cal Poly. Now come late November, that’s a whole different story. The leash will tighten for everyone.
Gotcha. This makes sense. Good problem to have I suppose.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:34 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

As much as I’d love to see it, it just doesn’t make sense to play a talented Freshman over a very capable Senior.
Good point. Chip Kelly made the same mistake of starting a talented R-FR named Marcus Mariota over his two-year capable starter R-SR Darron Thomas and it didn’t turn out very well at all. Bobby is making all the right moves. Oh, wait…

And yes, the Griz are very good. So are the Bobcats.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 am
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

I really like KB too.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. I'm just repeating something I was told by someone in the know. It caught me off guard, as well. Apparently he'll go with an incumbent/senior/presumed starter and wait for them to be off before going with "his guy."

toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Yes, um is good. No shame in saying so.
So are the Cats.
So is Davis, EWU (at least offensively) and Weber (at least defensively).
NAU just knocked off Arizona.
Its gonna be a very tough year in the Big Sky, and the conference champ will probably come down to scheduling and who dodges the most tough teams this year, as well as who can avoid key injuries and stay relatively healthy.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Yes, um is good. No shame in saying so.
So are the Cats.
So is Davis, EWU (at least offensively) and Weber (at least defensively).
NAU just knocked off Arizona.
Its gonna be a very tough year in the Big Sky, and the conference champ will probably come down to scheduling and who dodges the most tough teams this year, as well as who can avoid key injuries and stay relatively healthy.
Weber is giving up over 6 yards per play. And EWOO is only giving up 5. Heck, Weber is giving up over 5 yards per rush. To be fair, Weber has played 2 top tier rushing teams in Utah & JMU, and the Eagles have played a bad FBS team, a D2 team, and a bad FCS team, so not totally a fair comparison.

But I think the jury's still out on Weber's D at this point. They've certainly failed to impress over 3 games.