Home Field Advantage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Home Field Advantage

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:57 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm
A lot of the same people mocking this thread would be royally ticked if the offense had a false start, delay of game, or screwed up a play call on offense in a tight game, at home, because people were being loud.

If fans want to make their home field advantage as effectively as possible, they should think about this stuff.
True, but it wasn't THAT loud. If the Bobcats got a false start from that noise level, I'd be concerned with them more than the crowd noise. That said, I do think the crowd will get a little more focused on the game as the season goes on and less focused on just being happy to be in the stadium.
It was only loud when the wave jumped the north endzone. Other than that it wasn't quiet but nothing the offense shouldn't be able to handle.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:59 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm
A lot of the same people mocking this thread would be royally ticked if the offense had a false start, delay of game, or screwed up a play call on offense in a tight game, at home, because people were being loud.

If fans want to make their home field advantage as effectively as possible, they should think about this stuff.
True, but it wasn't THAT loud. If the Bobcats got a false start from that noise level, I'd be concerned with them more than the crowd noise. That said, I do think the crowd will get a little more focused on the game as the season goes on and less focused on just being happy to be in the stadium.
Speaking from experience- it takes A LOT of noise to make it really hard to hear. Only time I remember it being that loud was against the griz (pains me to say that). Against FBS schools, I don't really remember it being that bad even when we played a ranked P5 school. So I think this is a little overblown.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:07 am
I'd love to see the Portland State fans try a wave at Hillsboro ....
At very least, a good third of the crowd will be MSU fans. Too bad the game isn’t downtown at Providence Park.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatozzy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Its students that started it that don't know any better. If they wanted to do the wave it should have been started while we were on defense. This is the second time they have done it while we are on offense.

Rest In peace dad.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm

All I’m saying is that instead of acting like it’s nothing, it’s better to educate those fans so they aren’t doing it during important moments.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:33 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm
All I’m saying is that instead of acting like it’s nothing, it’s better to educate those fans so they aren’t doing it during important moments.
Students were in the stands an hour before kickoff riding the San Diego and Drake players. They brought the energy and it's a blast to watch and I encourage it 100%. I love it. Heck, the Drake and San Diego players that were being ridden probably loved it too. Finally they are playing in a stadium that feels like what they dreamed college football would be like! Playing in front of 3,000 people in a mostly empty stadium separated from the fans by a quarter mile track is hard to be excited about. By the time the waves started the game was in hand and the energy was starting to wane.

The students are fine and don't need to be "educated" on how to behave at a football game. They were having fun and I'm good with that. Go piss on somebody else's parade. I think you need to be educated on how to behave on a football forum.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

bobcatozzy

Post by bobcatozzy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm

When the students are telling the Drake players to suck their big fat coc*s in front of kids. I think that is a little overboard. You can heckle but take it to far. I don't care what side of the political side you are on. When you say F Joe Biden or F Trump you have taken it to far. When you tell a lady your going to punch her son in the face because she asked you to move along you have taken it to far.

Rest In peace dad.

bobcatozzy

Post by bobcatozzy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm

When you throw yellow shirts on the field you are don't being the fans we need.

Rest In peace dad.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:48 pm

40 years ago teddy bears were being thrown onto the floor in the brick. We figured it out then they'll figure it out now.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Ban the wave in football.

It is plain stupid. Leave it at the baseball stadium.

IYAACYAS

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Seriously people. I think we were already up 28-0. Let it go. We have very smart fans at Bobcat stadium. In watching Bobcat games for 30+ years, I only recall a handful of times where the crowd was too loud for the offense. In those situations, the QB signals for quiet and the crowd has always complied. This game was well in hand and I don’t recall seeing anybody on the field signaling for quiet.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 pm

CPACAT wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Ban the wave in football.

It is plain stupid. Leave it at the baseball stadium.
Along with Sweet Caroline!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:33 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm
Students were in the stands an hour before kickoff riding the San Diego and Drake players. They brought the energy and it's a blast to watch and I encourage it 100%. I love it. Heck, the Drake and San Diego players that were being ridden probably loved it too. Finally they are playing in a stadium that feels like what they dreamed college football would be like! Playing in front of 3,000 people in a mostly empty stadium separated from the fans by a quarter mile track is hard to be excited about. By the time the waves started the game was in hand and the energy was starting to wane.

The students are fine and don't need to be "educated" on how to behave at a football game. They were having fun and I'm good with that. Go piss on somebody else's parade. I think you need to be educated on how to behave on a football forum.
As someone who sits 3 seats away from the student section I've been very proud of them. They've brought a ton of energy when the rest of the stadium wasn't up to the task. They've done a great job of started a lot of cheers without assistance from the PA/cheerleaders/band. I wish games were this fun when I was in school. Sure, they could have done the wave when we were on defense but it got the entire stadium's energy back up at a time when the game was already decided.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 pm

bobcatozzy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm
When the students are telling the Drake players to suck their big fat coc*s in front of kids. I think that is a little overboard. You can heckle but take it to far. I don't care what side of the political side you are on. When you say F Joe Biden or F Trump you have taken it to far. When you tell a lady your going to punch her son in the face because she asked you to move along you have taken it to far.
Good ol' drunk college kids. I remember those days. When the mob gets riled up/drunk there will always be a few that get out of hand. That's life.

I laughed when I heard the Biden chant at Gold Rush. I realized I was definitely back in Montana. After the school published a letter chastising them for it after the game the rebel in me was proud of them for reviving it this past Saturday. It died out quickly but they had made their point.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:09 am

This thread is awesome!!! And by that, I mean its actually really stupid but we are talking about stupid football stuff and not stupid other crap that has dominated this board for a year and a half.

Hating the griz since 02.

MSUBRONCO

Post by MSUBRONCO » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am

It doesn't get loud enough to be an issue for the players I bett, I mean fully outdoor stadium,not indoor, I was at gold rush this year.Also when I was a student there back in 2013 we were louder and no one complained, I was on the opposite end zone prettymuch and barley heard the students

MSUBRONCO

Post by MSUBRONCO » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:33 am

The one noise complaint that showed in the BDC police reports one time just encouraged us like ok means we're doing our job, of course we were quiet on offense though we knew how football works.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am

All I know is the student section looks way more fun than it was when I was in school in the early-mid 2000s.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am
All I know is the student section looks way more fun than it was when I was in school in the early-mid 2000s.
Yep. Students are awesome so far and I hope that continues when the weather turns. If they keep showing up in full force, and the trade off is occasionally doing a wave when we're on offense....I'll start the wave myself. :wink:

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am
Yep. Students are awesome so far and I hope that continues when the weather turns. If they keep showing up in full force, and the trade off is occasionally doing a wave when we're on offense....I'll start the wave myself. :wink:
Well, yeah. I guess I don’t see why it can’t be both? When I was a student, we were loud the entire game and still quiet when we had the ball. I didn’t think this would be super difficult, or controversial, but I guess it is. My bad.