IS UM any good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: IS UM any good?

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:47 am

NAU beat a bad PAC 12 team last night with Arizona. Based on Griz rationale with the UW win, does that automatically qualify NAU for the national championship?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 pm

Washington played UM without three of its most productive offensive players. Jalen McMillan also missed the Michigan game. He had 10 catches for 175 yards and a TD yesterday. Another WR, Terrell Bynum, has had nine catches for 179 yards and two TDs the past two games. RB Sean McGrew had six runs for 31 yards and a first half TD in his first game back yesterday.

The Huskies put a beatdown on Ark. State 52-3. UM is good, there's no doubt in my mind about that. My point regarding FCS wins over FBS teams, even Top 25 teams, is that they don't always mean much in the long run. Of the five previous winners only one has won the title, two lost out in the semis (one of those was NDSU and it was the only title they didn't win in during a nine-year stretch), and one didn't make the playoffs. The other Cincy, was in the IAA (FCS) on a technicality, so I shouldn't even count them. So you have a little bit of everything there.

I think UM is at least a quarter-final team this year. If they go unbeaten and win the BSC, then I'd say at least a semi-finalist. I think they'll beat EWU on the road and most likely be undefeated when MSU plays in Missoula. Barring any unforeseen issues (injuries, COVID) for either team, I think MSU will be either 9-1 or 8-2 (6-1, BSC) for that game and it could be for the league title. I don't see MSU losing to EWU right now either. The biggest game in the BSC chase will be when MSU travels to Weber State. The winner of that has a good shot at catching UM for the BSC title and auto-bid.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:47 am
NAU beat a bad PAC 12 team last night with Arizona. Based on Griz rationale with the UW win, does that automatically qualify NAU for the national championship?
Only people I hear saying the Griz are a shoo-in for the NC are bobcat fans obsessed with Washington’s WR group.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Yea everyone can all stop playing and we can declare the nc by watching the Arizona Washington game to see who has the better bragging rights.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 pm
Washington played UM without three of its most productive offensive players. Jalen McMillan also missed the Michigan game. He had 10 catches for 175 yards and a TD yesterday. Another WR, Terrell Bynum, has had nine catches for 179 yards and two TDs the past two games. RB Sean McGrew had six runs for 31 yards and a first half TD in his first game back yesterday.

The Huskies put a beatdown on Ark. State 52-3. UM is good, there's no doubt in my mind about that. My point regarding FCS wins over FBS teams, even Top 25 teams, is that they don't always mean much in the long run. Of the five previous winners only one has won the title, two lost out in the semis (one of those was NDSU and it was the only title they didn't win in during a nine-year stretch), and one didn't make the playoffs. The other Cincy, was in the IAA (FCS) on a technicality, so I shouldn't even count them. So you have a little bit of everything there.

I think UM is at least a quarter-final team this year. If they go unbeaten and win the BSC, then I'd say at least a semi-finalist. I think they'll beat EWU on the road and most likely be undefeated when MSU plays in Missoula. Barring any unforeseen issues (injuries, COVID) for either team, I think MSU will be either 9-1 or 8-2 (6-1, BSC) for that game and it could be for the league title. I don't see MSU losing to EWU right now either. The biggest game in the BSC chase will be when MSU travels to Weber State. The winner of that has a good shot at catching UM for the BSC title and auto-bid.
Griz won without their top two RBs and would have still won if Akem, Roberts, and Sulser were out also.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

Unless Weber gets their starting QB back, they lose 4 conference games, including MSU.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:31 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Only people I hear saying the Griz are a shoo-in for the NC are bobcat fans obsessed with Washington’s WR group.
You should go read egriz. I think half of your fan base made reservations for Frisco, TX based on your win over Washington.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Maybe Arizona should schedule Dixie State to try and get a win.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... k-fcs-2021

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:31 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
You should go read egriz. I think half of your fan base made reservations for Frisco, TX based on your win over Washington.
People still read egriz?

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:25 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:29 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Unless Weber gets their starting QB back, they lose 4 conference games, including MSU.
Weber hasn't had a good QB and has still won the league. I don't consider that to be a big factor for them. They just know how to win. MSU, or anyone else in the BSC, has to go in there and win to change that. It's a solid program that came along at a time when it was almost impossible to get past NDSU, SDSU, JMU and SHSU.

Nationally, NDSU, SDSU, JMU and SHSU all seem to be a cut above still. I don't see a BSC team going on the road in the semis and advancing against those four. Whoever wins the league will need to be a 1 or 2 seed, or hope that an upset occurs that allows them to host and even that makes it a 50/50 proposition at best, barring a bunch of upsets that ends up sending a low seed or unseeded team to a BSC school for the semis. For SHSU and JMU to go on the road to BSC schools and win decisively is a bad sign for the BSC. If one of the Big 4 plays at a BSC school in a semi-final, I would consider them the favorite.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:29 am

griz5700 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Griz won without their top two RBs and would have still won if Akem, Roberts, and Sulser were out also.
I agree. It wasn't like UM's offense did anything, so having those guys or not made little difference. The UM defense won the game. I just think that UW is a better team on offense now that it has some of its key playmakers back in the lineup. It would be interesting to see UM and UW play now that they are back.

toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:25 am
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:29 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Weber hasn't had a good QB and has still won the league. I don't consider that to be a big factor for them. They just know how to win. MSU, or anyone else in the BSC, has to go in there and win to change that. It's a solid program that came along at a time when it was almost impossible to get past NDSU, SDSU, JMU and SHSU.

Nationally, NDSU, SDSU, JMU and SHSU all seem to be a cut above still. I don't see a BSC team going on the road in the semis and advancing against those four. Whoever wins the league will need to be a 1 or 2 seed, or hope that an upset occurs that allows them to host and even that makes it a 50/50 proposition at best, barring a bunch of upsets that ends up sending a low seed or unseeded team to a BSC school for the semis. For SHSU and JMU to go on the road to BSC schools and win decisively is a bad sign for the BSC. If one of the Big 4 plays at a BSC school in a semi-final, I would consider them the favorite.
Nailed it.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:46 am

griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Your probably right, your QB couldn't complete a pass to those WR's for most of the game.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 am

cats2506 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:46 am
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Your probably right, your QB couldn't complete a pass to those WR's for most of the game.
Griz will be very dangerous later in the year when Kris Brown is throwing to Flowers, White, Simpson, and Roberts. And Akem….occasionally.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am

griz5700 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 am
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Griz will be very dangerous later in the year when Kris Brown is throwing to Flowers, White, Simpson, and Roberts. And Akem….occasionally.
ah, yeah, the old "The backup QB is better than the starter argument"

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 am

griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

You think he'll end up being your starter at some point? Seems like a hot-button issue over there.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 am
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

You think he'll end up being your starter at some point? Seems like a hot-button issue over there.
Hauck knows Brown is the better QB, but he's waiting for Humphrey to screw up bad enough that the decision to make the switch is easier. Hauck doesn't want it to come back and bite him. Humphrey is inconsistent and it'll happen eventually.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

Kris Brown is the most talented QB the Griz have ever had. There I said. And it’s without question in my opinion. He’s got legit next level skill and athleticism. 6’4, 220, super quick release, huge arm, fast, strong. He checks every box physically and played well when Humphrey got KO’d in the spring. Yes, it was against CWU, but he looked at total ease running the show. His play in fall camp reflected that also.

If Cam had the exact same skill and athleticism he does now but was a R-FR like brown, there would be no question who the starter is.

There are some freshman on UM’s offense ready to burst onto the scene. But with returning senior starters in front of them, a favorable schedule, and a dominant defense, it will be a little while before we see them.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes.

Kris Brown is the most talented QB the Griz have ever had. There I said. And it’s without question in my opinion. He’s got legit next level skill and athleticism. 6’4, 220, super quick release, huge arm, fast, strong. He checks every box physically and played well when Humphrey got KO’d in the spring. Yes, it was against CWU, but he looked at total ease running the show. His play in fall camp reflected that also.

If Cam had the exact same skill and athleticism he does now but was a R-FR like brown, there would be no question who the starter is.

There are some freshman on UM’s offense ready to burst onto the scene. But with returning senior starters in front of them, a favorable schedule, and a dominant defense, it will be a little while before we see them.
I really like KB too.

You think Hauck felt some sort of pressure or allegiance to Cam headed into fall? With all I heard about Brown, and your thoughts above, it seems odd he didn't win the job. It will be interesting to follow. Especially if the Griz keep winning with Cam at the helm.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!