Home Field Advantage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Home Field Advantage

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:08 am

We have a good one. I saw/heard something disturbing at the San Diego game though. It needs to be corrected.

You see, the whole idea of a home field advantage is to be loud when we’re on defense, and quiet when we’re on offense. So what did our fans do? They did the fricken “Wave” while we’re on offense multiple times! And it got loud-ish! Now I understand we were up by a ways when this happened, and yada yada, but we have to be smarter fans than that. Can’t be doing that in a tight game.

So, next time, tell your neighbor to shut up and don’t do the wave when we’re on offense.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Home Field Advantage

Post by AFCAT » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 am

Disturbing? I’m not a fan of the wave, but relax, it’s just people having fun.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 am
Disturbing? I’m not a fan of the wave, but relax, it’s just people having fun.
I was being a bit facetious with that part, but yeah, shut the heck up when the offense is trying to call a play. That’s basic football common sense.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 am

False. The game was already in 'boat race' mode. The crowd did it exactly right early in the game when it was still contested.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 am

The wave was timely. I noticed it only took one attempt to get it going, and when it did get going it "jumped the north end zone" and didn't miss a beat. Great job on the wave friends!

p.s. I won't be telling my smart football fan neighbors to shut up and they won't be telling me to sit down.

p.p.s. As a crowd we haven't gotten any "noise shed" complaints this year. Here's hoping the letters start rolling in after 10/2!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:11 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 am
The wave was timely. I noticed it only took one attempt to get it going, and when it did get going it "jumped the north end zone" and didn't miss a beat. Great job on the wave friends!

p.s. I won't be telling my smart football fan neighbors to shut up and they won't be telling me to sit down.

p.p.s. As a crowd we haven't gotten any "noise shed" complaints this year. Here's hoping the letters start rolling in after 10/2!
Noise is great. Noise on offense is bad. It’s simple!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:11 am
Rich K wrote:

That wasn't noise.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:31 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:

That wasn't noise.
Everything I have ever heard from coaches, college and professional, is that they don’t like any sort of noise when they’re on offense at home. Matt LaFleur of the Packers being the most recent that I recall.

“ "We’re going to have some talks with some people in our building about how we can help educate our fans in certain situations," LaFleur told reporters. "But I love our fans, first and foremost. I think we have the best fans in the National Football League. The support they show when we’re at home, when we’re on the road, is second to none. So, I always want to start out with that before I become critical of them.” LaFleur then made his request, oh so delicately.

"But, certainly, when you’re on offense and it’s a third down situation, I’d rather not hear the ‘Go Pack Go’ chant and, when we’re on offense, I’d rather not see ‘The Wave,'" he added. "I’d rather see that when we’re on defense."

If you’re in the QB club, ask Vigen what he thinks about cheers when we’re on offense.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am

I think the wave is great, but the best time for it is during a media timeout. I didn't participate because I wanted to watch the offense, not worry about when I needed to throw my hands up.

Edit: I've actually been pretty disappointed in the home field advantage provided by the people around me so far this year. Most of section 110 is standing at least the the first half of these blowout wins and there have only about 5 people standing and cheering, even on 3rd downs on D within about 5 rows of me.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:56 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Rich K wrote:

That wasn't noise.
Everything I have ever heard from coaches, college and professional, is that they don’t like any sort of noise when they’re on offense at home. Matt LaFleur of the Packers being the most recent that I recall.

“ "We’re going to have some talks with some people in our building about how we can help educate our fans in certain situations," LaFleur told reporters. "But I love our fans, first and foremost. I think we have the best fans in the National Football League. The support they show when we’re at home, when we’re on the road, is second to none. So, I always want to start out with that before I become critical of them.” LaFleur then made his request, oh so delicately.

"But, certainly, when you’re on offense and it’s a third down situation, I’d rather not hear the ‘Go Pack Go’ chant and, when we’re on offense, I’d rather not see ‘The Wave,'" he added. "I’d rather see that when we’re on defense."

If you’re in the QB club, ask Vigen what he thinks about cheers when we’re on offense.
I wondered if the players on the field could tell what was going on. The wave circled the stadium a few times and the cheers when it jumped the north endzone seemed to happen out of line with the play of the field so I could see the players being confused by cheering right before a play started.
The game was already out of hand so I didn't mind it happening while we were on offense. The false starts and then the cheers when it really took off were entertaining.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am

I'm not big on distraction when the offense is on. I'd rather see this stuff with the d.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:13 am

I agree that offense isn't the best time to have the wave going, but I don't think we're going to have 19,000 intelligent football fans in the stadium. Hopefully that'll happen soon, but I'm happy that 19,000 people are having a great time at a football game. I remember going to games with hardly anybody in the stadium and the AGR's dropping their bowling ball on the steel bleachers to try and make some noise, so maybe the bar is a little low for me.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:13 am
I agree that offense isn't the best time to have the wave going, but I don't think we're going to have 19,000 intelligent football fans in the stadium. Hopefully that'll happen soon, but I'm happy that 19,000 people are having a great time at a football game. I remember going to games with hardly anybody in the stadium and the AGR's dropping their bowling ball on the steel bleachers to try and make some noise, so maybe the bar is a little low for me.
Me too. Loved seeing it. And it wasn't very loud so I wouldn't like it if we were on defense. I'd rather have those people making a lot of noise on D and if they so choose, do a little wave on offense.

As a glass half-full guy, I look at it as a teaching tool. If these guys are too distracted by a wave one play on offense at home in a blowout, maybe it will prepare them for going on the road? Much bigger fish to fry in my opinion.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:07 am

I'd love to see the Portland State fans try a wave at Hillsboro ....

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 am

Whoa, whoa WHOA!!!

Football fandom is serious business!

:lol:

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:07 am
I'd love to see the Portland State fans try a wave at Hillsboro ....
It would have trouble going around.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm

A lot of the same people mocking this thread would be royally ticked if the offense had a false start, delay of game, or screwed up a play call on offense in a tight game, at home, because people were being loud.

If fans want to make their home field advantage as effectively as possible, they should think about this stuff.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm
A lot of the same people mocking this thread would be royally ticked if the offense had a false start, delay of game, or screwed up a play call on offense in a tight game, at home, because people were being loud.

If fans want to make their home field advantage as effectively as possible, they should think about this stuff.
True, but it wasn't THAT loud. If the Bobcats got a false start from that noise level, I'd be concerned with them more than the crowd noise. That said, I do think the crowd will get a little more focused on the game as the season goes on and less focused on just being happy to be in the stadium.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm

True, but it wasn't THAT loud. If the Bobcats got a false start from that noise level, I'd be concerned with them more than the crowd noise. That said, I do think the crowd will get a little more focused on the game as the season goes on and less focused on just being happy to be in the stadium.
Yeah, I didn't make this one, so I'm sure you're right. I just think it's smart to think about in principle.