Indoor Facility

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Indoor Facility

Post by AFCAT » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm

bertram wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:05 pm
Huge chunk of the cost for the new structure at UM will be funded by the Quarterback Club, with a completion date of Nov 2022. It will also house track and field practice areas ( with an over all sq footage of 120,000; that's a big bubble). If a similar build where to happen in Bozeman where could it be built? I haven't heard yet details of group who will be building.. my guess is the Farley group ( same people who built the other bubbles at MSU).
https://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20 ... spx?id=357

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:55 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm
UM is a fine academic institution that is hamstrung by over a decade of mismanagement, especially in the areas of recruiting new students and building their programs (forestry, pharmacy, and law) that differentiate them from MSU. If they do not change soon, they will fail.

This would be catastrophic for our state and would overburden the MSU infrastructure. Everyone in this state should be cheering for UM to turn things around.
Hear hear. Bozeman & Gallatin County can't handle the crush of growth from MSU. It would be better for everyone if UM reversed the trend.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm
What an absolutely mystifying move. I’m not surprised tho. Things have been bizarre at UM ever since Hauck started there back in 2003. All the crime, the strange dealings between the Higher Ed office and the Jordan Johnson scandal, which has never been made public btw, hiring Hauck back after the damage to the football program — and collaterally the entire school. Dumping money into a “champions” center that they DID NOT have enough funding for and still don’t. Where does it end? With a school with more student-athletes than students? Is the state going to need to step in to stop this nonsense?
https://vault.si.com/vault/2007/08/13/t ... n-paradise ........somehow MSU managed to recover.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:35 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 pm
iaafan wrote:
What an absolutely mystifying move. I’m not surprised tho. Things have been bizarre at UM ever since Hauck started there back in 2003. All the crime, the strange dealings between the Higher Ed office and the Jordan Johnson scandal, which has never been made public btw, hiring Hauck back after the damage to the football program — and collaterally the entire school. Dumping money into a “champions” center that they DID NOT have enough funding for and still don’t. Where does it end? With a school with more student-athletes than students? Is the state going to need to step in to stop this nonsense?
https://vault.si.com/vault/2007/08/13/t ... n-paradise ........somehow MSU managed to recover.
Somehow? It’s a simple formula. Just own it and the truth will set you free. UM tries to sweep all its problems under the rug.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:55 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
UM is a fine academic institution that is hamstrung by over a decade of mismanagement, especially in the areas of recruiting new students and building their programs (forestry, pharmacy, and law) that differentiate them from MSU. If they do not change soon, they will fail.

This would be catastrophic for our state and would overburden the MSU infrastructure. Everyone in this state should be cheering for UM to turn things around.
Hear hear. Bozeman & Gallatin County can't handle the crush of growth from MSU. It would be better for everyone if UM reversed the trend.
I'm not hoping for um to fail but MSU Bozeman still wouldn't be the only university in the state if the school in missoula ceased to exist.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:56 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 pm
onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:

I'm not hoping for um to fail but MSU Bozeman still wouldn't be the only university in the state if the school in missoula ceased to exist.
I'm happy to poke good natured fun at the Western Montana School of Dance...but to pretend that Western, Eastern, and Northern are "universities" is a pretty bad joke. And not to knock Rocky or Carroll, but they aren't in the same league either. They all serve a useful purpose, and kids can get a good education at any of them...but, yes, if UM ceased to exist, MSU would indeed be the ONLY university in Montana.

And a state with a million people needs more than one university.

Less importantly, but more fun emotionally, FCS football is a lot better when both Montana schools are playing home games in the quarters or semis.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:01 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 pm
iaafan wrote:
Because nobody in the administration or athletics department tried to run cover. Its the difference between a few bad apples & the whole bunch being ruined.

I remember a UM prof (and a giant football fan & booster) telling his class around 2012: "Would you let your daughter go to UM knowing what you know about how the admin and athletic department covered up for the football team?"

As far as I remember, the guys arrested in Bozeman were long past football & basketball when they were arrested for murder.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:20 pm

Following up on what onceacat and I said, scroll through the images in this article and the trend is clear. Correlation does not equal causation, but this isn't coincidence either.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... ff38c.html

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 pm
onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:27 am

bertram wrote:
Huge chunk of the cost for the new structure at UM will be funded by the Quarterback Club, with a completion date of Nov 2022. It will also house track and field practice areas ( with an over all sq footage of 120,000; that's a big bubble). If a similar build where to happen in Bozeman where could it be built? I haven't heard yet details of group who will be building.. my guess is the Farley group ( same people who built the other bubbles at MSU).
I would say there's more space in bozeman than Missoula. Not saying we have space for days, but the only place Missoula has for one is their practice field down by the river if I'm thinking right.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:16 am

An IPF will be a huge recruiting advantage in a cold weather state like Montana. I hope we get things moving soon. Just once, I'd like to see MSU get ahead of UM in the facilities arms race.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm
bertram wrote:
With the locker rooms now at the stadium; how would this practice facility logistically work well for the football team? If you are practicing inside the weather must be pretty miserable and you don't want to be walking through snow/rain with your equipment on. Maybe a very large secondary locker room in the facility (it notes locker rooms, but 100+ football players needs a lot of room)?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 am
With the locker rooms now at the stadium; how would this practice facility logistically work well for the football team? If you are practicing inside the weather must be pretty miserable and you don't want to be walking through snow/rain with your equipment on. Maybe a very large secondary locker room in the facility (it notes locker rooms, but 100+ football players needs a lot of room)?
They could build a really cool tunnel or brave the elements for 50 yds.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:16 am
An IPF will be a huge recruiting advantage in a cold weather state like Montana. I hope we get things moving soon. Just once, I'd like to see MSU get ahead of UM in the facilities arms race.
We upgraded the weight room before they did.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm
bertram wrote:
If you look at the plans, there is a tunnel between the two facilities. The facility is also across the street from the BAC. That is if they build a hard facility, not a bubble.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:46 am

allcat wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
The new griz center has a new weight room inside of it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:00 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:46 am
allcat wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
I don’t know who has a better facility, but MSU’s has a hydrotherapy unit and a clinic or some type of medical facility within it. It also opens up right onto the field. I think the UM players have to go down a flight of stairs to access the playing field.

I assume catfanatic is talking about football facilities only, but MSU’s campus facilities are way ahead of UM. They would need at least $100 million to become close. I assume the decline of students makes that unnecessary. I don’t know a whole lot about UM’s other athletic facilities, but I don’t recall them holding rodeos in Adams and I don’t know that they have indoor track anymore. If they do, I think MSU is better equipped. MSU doesn’t have a ski team facility and UM doesn’t have a ski team, but our team uses Bridger and Big Sky. Just pointing out that no one at MSU should be complaining about UM football, which seems to put all its effort into their football program, getting something, especially something as cheesy as an indoor bubble, first.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:16 am

Fancy weight rooms are purely a recruiting tool. Same with locker rooms. They do not make the players better, they just make it easier to recruit better players.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:00 am
AFCAT wrote:
allcat wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
I don’t know who has a better facility, but MSU’s has a hydrotherapy unit and a clinic or some type of medical facility within it. It also opens up right onto the field. I think the UM players have to go down a flight of stairs to access the playing field.

I assume catfanatic is talking about football facilities only, but MSU’s campus facilities are way ahead of UM. They would need at least $100 million to become close. I assume the decline of students makes that unnecessary. I don’t know a whole lot about UM’s other athletic facilities, but I don’t recall them holding rodeos in Adams and I don’t know that they have indoor track anymore. If they do, I think MSU is better equipped. MSU doesn’t have a ski team facility and UM doesn’t have a ski team, but our team uses Bridger and Big Sky. Just pointing out that no one at MSU should be complaining about UM football, which seems to put all its effort into their football program, getting something, especially something as cheesy as an indoor bubble, first.
To be fair, I think I'd take a "cheesy" bubble this very morning if one was available. Anything to get these guys out of the crap weather when the games matter most. I'd take EXACTLY what the griz have in the works if in fact true.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:31 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am
iaafan wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
allcat wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:

To be fair, I think I'd take a "cheesy" bubble this very morning if one was available. Anything to get these guys out of the crap weather when the games matter most. I'd take EXACTLY what the griz have in the works if in fact true.
True. To be clear, that wasn’t my only point. I’d take it too, but those things are freaking hideous. I think that’s one thing Cat and Griz fans can agree on.

My main point is that we kick UM’s ace at 99% of everything, so no one should be too bothered that they’re football facilities get built a few years ahead of ours. It isn’t like MSU donors also have their collective priorities backward. :P

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:45 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am
iaafan wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
allcat wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:

Some people think it’s a mortal sin to compliment anything UM does.