UM @UW

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: UM @UW

Post by MSUBRONCO » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 pm

back from game omg that hurt UW sucked it up today was more bad huskies than good grix

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:34 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm
UW offense was awful. Griz wasn’t much better with 105 yards passing on 12 completions. Leading rusher had 70 yards. Griz fans will be insufferable until Cat Griz. They already want votes in the Top 25.
Insufferable is an understatement. 🤬🤬🤬

They think they should get FBS polling votes. 🙄🙄

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:54 pm

If the shoe were on the other foot we’d be demanding respect from Griz fans…we all know it. So…well done Griz. Huge win for your fans and your program. You deserve to celebrate this one.

I’m going to go throw up now…

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:41 am

This thread didn’t age great.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:27 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 pm
Yes, good job griz. Happy for Sulser and the other Montana guys. That win will live for a long time.
Yes, that’s an all-time great win for UM and the BSC. I think UM had 2 first downs going into the fourth quarter to 17 for UW. Around 110 yards. They couldn’t move the ball at all, then they get 8 first downs and about 120 yards in the fourth.

Humphrey was 5-5, 66 yards on the two fourth quarter scoring drives. 7-18, 39 yards the other eight drives!!!

No Husky fans will ever live that down. :lol:
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:30 am

Incredible win! Wow, unbelievable! Griz D is legit.

But yes..., I live in Missoula, and now have to listen to them for the next couple months.... 🤦‍♂️

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:49 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:30 am

But yes..., I live in Missoula, and now have to listen to them for the next couple months.... 🤦‍♂️
Western Illinois vs UM this weekend. Saw they had a competitive game against Ball St. This reminds me of when MSU beat Colorado. We were all floating in the clouds. Then UC Davis and Chadron State happened. Good for the Griz. Love to see BSC shools do well. UW coaching staff didn't prep will for this game. Looking ahead to Michigan? They get a week of being the pre-season national champs and then reality hits.

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:02 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:49 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:30 am

Western Illinois vs UM this weekend. Saw they had a competitive game against Ball St. This reminds me of when MSU beat Colorado. We were all floating in the clouds. Then UC Davis and Chadron State happened. Good for the Griz. Love to see BSC shools do well. UW coaching staff didn't prep will for this game. Looking ahead to Michigan? They get a week of being the pre-season national champs and then reality hits.
True that. A wounded Griz is far more dangerous than one that’s burping with a full belly of Husky. Western Illinois is lucky the Griz have nothing to be angry about this week. Hauck better find something to get the Griz pissed off. I suggest video of the past four Cat-Griz games.

seacat85
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by seacat85 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Heard afterwards that the Huskies were without the top 3 or 4 receivers. CBS Sports said 3 but a local station said 4. Have not heard why (injury, COVID, discipline, ?). Did this make the Huskies one dimensional? I thought they had a good stable of running backs returning though. Had another commitment so I wasn't able to watch. Don't even know if it was on locally. Maybe the PAC12 Network?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 am

seacat85 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:38 pm
Heard afterwards that the Huskies were without the top 3 or 4 receivers. CBS Sports said 3 but a local station said 4. Have not heard why (injury, COVID, discipline, ?). Did this make the Huskies one dimensional? I thought they had a good stable of running backs returning though. Had another commitment so I wasn't able to watch. Don't even know if it was on locally. Maybe the PAC12 Network?
The top three were out, and the next in line 4th got hurt on the first play of the game. It was on the Pac12 network.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:44 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Western Illinois vs UM this weekend. Saw they had a competitive game against Ball St. This reminds me of when MSU beat Colorado. We were all floating in the clouds. Then UC Davis and Chadron State happened.
W. Illinois is picked last in the MVFC, but you're right they were very competitive with Ball St., which is a decent team in their conference. If I'm not mistaken UM is 1-3 all time vs. WIU. I know they lost a home playoff game, I think in OT, and also got pummeled in a road playoff game. Lost to them in 2018 on the road.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:43 pm

seacat85 wrote:
I'm sure it made a difference - any time you're missing good players it doesn't help. But according to the stats on ESPN, UW got 226 yards passing and only 65 yards rushing so it doesn't seem like losing those receivers made them rely on the run game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:09 pm

catbooster wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:43 pm
seacat85 wrote:
I'm sure it made a difference - any time you're missing good players it doesn't help. But according to the stats on ESPN, UW got 226 yards passing and only 65 yards rushing so it doesn't seem like losing those receivers made them rely on the run game.
But they had to throw 46 passes to get those 226 yards. Very inefficient. The QB threw 3 interceptions and all of them were way off target from what I understand.

As I pointed out earlier, a win and loss like this hasn't shown a trend for how the teams play afterwards. Small sample size, but you have ASU winning the national championship, EWU and NDSU making the semis, and JMU not even making the playoffs at 6-5. I don't consider Cincy a FCS team in 1983, so I won't include them here. They were FBS/I-A in 1982 and 1984. The losers are a mixed bag as well. Michigan went on to finish 18th in the nation after beating Florida in the Citrus Bowl, VT made it to the Orange Bowl and finished No. 10, but Oregon St. and Iowa finished unranked.

Who knows if UW will bounce back and be in the hunt for the PAC 12 as advertised or if they'll finish unranked and the same goes for UM.

I don't considered the Top 25 to always be filled with the elite teams of the FBS, especially not the initial Top 25. I think the top 2-3 teams in the FCS are just as good as many teams in the bottom ten of the Top 25 and below. The elite FBS teams have a lot of separation between them and everyone else.

I think if you look at the preseason top 25 and compare it the final top 25 every year, you'll find quite a few teams from the preseason top 25 that aren't even receiving votes in the final poll.

toM StUber

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:09 pm
catbooster wrote:
seacat85 wrote:
But they had to throw 46 passes to get those 226 yards. Very inefficient. The QB threw 3 interceptions and all of them were way off target from what I understand.

As I pointed out earlier, a win and loss like this hasn't shown a trend for how the teams play afterwards. Small sample size, but you have ASU winning the national championship, EWU and NDSU making the semis, and JMU not even making the playoffs at 6-5. I don't consider Cincy a FCS team in 1983, so I won't include them here. They were FBS/I-A in 1982 and 1984. The losers are a mixed bag as well. Michigan went on to finish 18th in the nation after beating Florida in the Citrus Bowl, VT made it to the Orange Bowl and finished No. 10, but Oregon St. and Iowa finished unranked.

Who knows if UW will bounce back and be in the hunt for the PAC 12 as advertised or if they'll finish unranked and the same goes for UM.

I don't considered the Top 25 to always be filled with the elite teams of the FBS, especially not the initial Top 25. I think the top 2-3 teams in the FCS are just as good as many teams in the bottom ten of the Top 25 and below. The elite FBS teams have a lot of separation between them and everyone else.

I think if you look at the preseason top 25 and compare it the final top 25 every year, you'll find quite a few teams from the preseason top 25 that aren't even receiving votes in the final poll.
Wasn’t Washington picked 1 or 2 in the PAC 12? The Griz defense simply man handled them. It was an impressive win my a 21 point under dog. You should just leave it at that. The more attention you give to and the over analyzing you do just seems irrational. Let this thread die and move on to the next game. No offense meant to you, but it’s just one of those things it was on sports center all weekend. So you just can’t compete against ESPN so don’t try.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:05 am

Sohedges wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:09 pm
catbooster wrote:
seacat85 wrote:

Wasn’t Washington picked 1 or 2 in the PAC 12? The Griz defense simply man handled them. It was an impressive win my a 21 point under dog. You should just leave it at that. The more attention you give to and the over analyzing you do just seems irrational. Let this thread die and move on to the next game. No offense meant to you, but it’s just one of those things it was on sports center all weekend. So you just can’t compete against ESPN so don’t try.
Nowhere did I say it’s not an impressive win. Not sure why you want the thread to die. These are rare moments that only come along every 3-4 years. You don’t get a chance to talk about these things often.

No one has pointed out the fact, with historical data, that winning a game like this doesn’t guarantee future success or losing it doesn’t guarantee future failure. So I’m doing so. Sorry if it’s bothering you. I’m not sure what else to tell you. Perhaps put me on ignore.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:51 am

In 2019, the last full season, six preseason Top 25 teams were no longer getting any Top 25 votes in the final poll.

18 - Mich. St. (finished 7-6)
21 - Iowa St. (was taken to 3 OTs by No. Iowa and finished 7-6; UNI finished 10-5 and reached the quarterfinals after beating San Diego 17-3 and upsetting SDSU 13-10)
22 - Syracuse (finished 5-7)
23 - Wash. St. (6-7)
24 - Nebraska (5-7)
25 - Stanford (4-8)

Four teams that got no votes ended up in the Top 25.

13. Baylor
20. Navy
21. Cincinnati
22. Air Force

The Top 10 was pretty good. Seven teams that started in the Top 10 finished there. Notre Dame only fell three spots from No. 9 to No. 12. Texas went from No. 10 to No. 25. Michigan went from No. 7 to No. 18. A&M went from 12-26.

Washington dropped from 13 to 28 after finishing 8-5 with a win over Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl. They opened the season with a 47-14 win over EWU, which was ranked No. 4 at the time in the FCS. EWU started the season 3-5 with one win coming against Lindenwood, but finished 7-5 and didn't make it back in the Top 25.

toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:51 am
In 2019, the last full season, six preseason Top 25 teams were no longer getting any Top 25 votes in the final poll.

21 - Iowa St. (was taken to 3 OTs by No. Iowa and finished 7-6; UNI finished 10-5 and reached the quarterfinals after beating San Diego 17-3 and upsetting SDSU 13-10)
23 - Wash. St. (6-7)
24 - Nebraska (5-7)
25 - Stanford (4-8)

13. Baylor
20. Navy
21. Cincinnati
22. Air Force

The Top 10 was pretty good. Seven teams that started in the Top 10 finished there. Notre Dame only fell three spots from No. 9 to No. 12. Texas went from No. 10 to No. 25. Michigan went from No. 7 to No. 18. A&M went from 12-26.

Washington dropped from 13 to 28 after finishing 8-5 with a win over Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl. They opened the season with a 47-14 win over EWU, which was ranked No. 4 at the time in the FCS. EWU started the season 3-5 with one win coming against Lindenwood, but finished 7-5 and didn't make it back in the Top 25.
Thanks for pointing this out. In your spare time, do you think you could research and post the FCS beginning and ending polls? I know the last nine or ten years haven't seen much change in No. 1, but the rest of the poll is kind of funny.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 am
TomCat88 wrote:

23 - Wash. St. (6-7)
24 - Nebraska (5-7)
25 - Stanford (4-8)

13. Baylor
20. Navy
21. Cincinnati
22. Air Force

Thanks for pointing this out. In your spare time, do you think you could research and post the FCS beginning and ending polls? I know the last nine or ten years haven't seen much change in No. 1, but the rest of the poll is kind of funny.
Yes, I’ll do that. I find it interesting that no one does this. At least I’ve never seen it before.

toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:33 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:10 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 am
TomCat88 wrote:

23 - Wash. St. (6-7)
24 - Nebraska (5-7)
25 - Stanford (4-8)

13. Baylor
20. Navy
21. Cincinnati
22. Air Force

Yes, I’ll do that. I find it interesting that no one does this. At least I’ve never seen it before.
Several years ago, our moderator from the metropolis of Winifred did a little bit on this, but I understand he's way too busy making money now to spend much time on the important things in life.

Misguided priorities.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Preseason first (final in parenthesis):

1. NDSU (1)
2. JMU (2)
3. SDSU (10)
4. EWU (Not Ranked)
5. UC Davis (NR)
6. Jax St. (NR)
7. Maine (NR)
8. Weber St. (3)
9. Wofford (16)
10. Kennesaw St. (NR)
11. Towson (NR)
12. Nichols St. (14)
13. Colgate (NR)
14. MSU (4)
15. Ill. St. (7)
16. Ind. St. (NR)
17. SEMO (17)
18. No. Iowa (NR)
19. Furman (21)
20. NC A&T (20)
21. Elon (NR)
22. Delaware (NR)
23. SHSU (NR)
24. Princeton (NR)
25. UM (6)

Not very good, but this is almost what I'd expect. I doubt that very many people that vote are researching these teams very well. The teams don't get enough exposure for that to happen. They seem to mainly just look at the previous season to create a preseason poll.

toM StUber