Interesting...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Interesting...

Post by GavinDonos » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:38 am

Saw this at work this morning.... hadn't heard anything about it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1907002

Can't talk now. I must operate.

*Edit Now that work is done, and I can comment, I must say that upon further review, last week's officials are even worse than we thought. Obviously this incident was brought to the league's attention after the game... after the refs had missed it. Coach K probably had to send the tape in himself. That could also be one of the reasons that he was so upset on the sideline after that PSU FG... He just watched some thug sucker-punch Ray!

Fullerton acknowledges some officiating blunders, including the two play clock violations still in question. Still, there is no better way to do that than by firing the entire crew at the end of this season.

I admit that it shocked me when I read it on the ESPN website first. It was strange that we (BobcatNation) got scooped on that one. Usually we're days ahead of the newscycle here!

I hope Ray is alright. I didn't notice anyone post on wether they saw it or not.
Last edited by GavinDonos on Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:42 am

I have to admit that I was confused about the entire Kramer rant at the time -- I didn't notice the play clock. What I did notice was Ray coming off the field very slowly after being on the ground for a long time... looking like he had taken one in the nads. I thought that something must have happened to him that Kramer was upset about.

So... piecing it all together... PSU receiver punches Ray in nads after PSU scores on a FG after the play clock had expired, and the refs call nothing? That sounds like a scenario that would get Kramer pretty steamed.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:58 am

This was fuel to the fire. First the cheap shot to Ray, and then the time clock issue. No wonder Kramer got in the refs face. Probably another reason why he didn't get ejected or punished by the officials.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:00 am

I didn't notice it at all. I was too busy yelling my ass off about the play clock. Makes a little more sense why Kramer was so mad though.

I thought the line in there about the second of the two missed delay of game calls was interesting, saying essentially that PSU had tried to take a delay of game but the officials didn't call it. From what I remember they were on their own 30-35, not excactly territory where you need more field to keep from putting it into the endzone. I wonder if that actually came from someone at PSU or if the reporter just assumed that part.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:11 am

There are several mistakes in that article...PSU was most definitely not trying to take a delay penalty on the punt considering where they were on the field. Hopefully Fullerton finds his shot of the play clock on the FG.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:03 am

the player didn't punch Ray in the nads...at least not the time I saw it. He wound up and threw a haymaker right cross and the refs broke it up and didn't do anything else!

2024 Resume dominance

Robcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Robcat » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:08 am

Last Monday in Billings, Krames showed the film of the PSU/Cats game and it was quite obvious that the punch was real close to the nads, however Kramer was pissed about the clock violation and was not aware of the punch until later. I knew he was going to turn the film in for review. I should have posted this on the web site, but I just got to busy. Well lets look forward to the Willy Wabbuts this weekend. Should be a good game. I only hope the offence plays at least 1 quarter of the first half. I would like to not be on the edge of my seat for the last few minutes of the game. GO CATS

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:18 am

The punch Kramer is talking about must have been at another time, or maybe the catalyst for the one I saw, because I remember No. 86 throwing a right cross at someone and I'm sure it was Ray. It glanced off his helmet and the refs rushed in and pushed the two apart because Ray was about to "engage". When 86 came to the bench I and a few others let him know how we felt about it.

2024 Resume dominance

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:46 am

Just for those keeping track, here's a scoop. Not a single JackRabbit listed on their roster is from California.