Wood in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Wood in portal

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 am
ND0479 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm
I'm not a fan of this or any other transfer like this. I know I'll get bashed on this site (not for the first or last time) but I feel that you are letting your teammates and fans and school down when you leave for your final year. I felt that way about Prukop and I feel that way about Wood. Go ahead and let me have it.
Yeah, you can look at it like that. Or you can look at it as he gave you everything he had for the years he was here and now he had the opportunity to live out his dream of playing at the highest level of college football. I’m sure the hardest part would be leaving your teammates behind.
Some people were really hard on Dakota. I still feel strongly they were wrong. He had a chance to get more exposure and play professional football. Dakota loved MSU and his teammates. He still has his good friend Manny Kalfel on his Twitter banner. Dakota also graduated and there was a coaching change. He was a class act.

The parallels with Wood are amazing. New Coach and graduated. Chance to get more exposure and play professionally. Good for him!
If you’re good, they’ll find you. There have been several D2 and D3 OL drafted fairly high recently.

I understand players wanting to go play at a higher level, it’s what competitive players will do. At the same time, it seems disrespectful to the school that gave you the chance to compete at the collegiate level. To me, it takes some of the amateurism out of the sport, and I just don’t like it.

With all that said, I hope it works out for the kid. Wish him no ill will. But when I go back and look at my favorite Bobcat players, guys like him and Prukop won’t be on the list. Nothing personal, just how I feel about it.
No question that lower division players are found all the time. However, MSU usually only gets a handful of scouts show up for pro day. I expect that a player at a P5 school will get more exposure both at their pro day and throughout the season. Also, dominating and post season recognition at the Big Sky level is perceived much differently than honors at a P5 school.

The one exception to the fewer number of eyes at MSU games may not apply this year though. I expect more eyes at the MSU pro day for Troy this year.

Also, there has been little discussion that Wood graduated. Not sure what Masters program he is seeking, but MSU may not have been an option academically.
We haven’t had any NFL prospects recently. Scouts come to games, they come to practices, they know what talent is here. If the talent was here, they’d be here, plain and simple. It’s not that they’re not here, it’s that they don’t need to be.

As for the academic situation, 95% of the time, it’s a convenient excuse. If Wood wanted to be here, then he would. He didn’t want to be here anymore, and that’s his choice. I can understand the logic of it. Still doesn’t mean I like it.
Where do you come up with 95%? Connor graduated with a business degree. MSU does not offer an MBA or a law degree. Seems pretty logical that most kids would transfer to get some school paid for the Masters. The Deming twins just did the same thing.
I made it up based on common sense.

Wood said the reason he left is because he thought it was the best path for him to get to the NFL. Didn’t mention academics.
Common sense? You said 95% of the time it is a convenient excuse. Your number seems really high. All these kids are in college to get a college education. The Deming twins are a great example. It would seem that if you graduate and still have some eligibility left, it would make sense to have more of your college paid for if you want a more advanced degree. Common sense tells me it is way lower than 95%.
Would you like it better if I said the vast majority or even majority rather than 95%?

You do of course realize that Wood could have gotten a masters at MSU, paid for, correct? There’s a lot of options. The money isn’t the issue. For some people like the Deming’s, school obviously is the issue. Rarely is it ever the issue when a player is moving up. Like Wood himself said, it’s because he said he thinks it will improve his chances at the NFL. I just don’t agree with that, that’s all.
To quote what you said earlier, “you are missing the point”. Wood graduated in Business and if he wanted a masters in business (MBA), MSU doesn’t offer one. Do you think he should have pursued a masters in engineering?

Fir what it is worth, you said 95% and that you had based that on common sense. With the Deming boys, that would mean that only 3 more out of 100 would have not factored in education. Common sense tells me you are way too high. But admitting an error for you is not your style.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:51 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:10 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 am

Some people were really hard on Dakota. I still feel strongly they were wrong. He had a chance to get more exposure and play professional football. Dakota loved MSU and his teammates. He still has his good friend Manny Kalfel on his Twitter banner. Dakota also graduated and there was a coaching change. He was a class act.

The parallels with Wood are amazing. New Coach and graduated. Chance to get more exposure and play professionally. Good for him!
If you’re good, they’ll find you. There have been several D2 and D3 OL drafted fairly high recently.

I understand players wanting to go play at a higher level, it’s what competitive players will do. At the same time, it seems disrespectful to the school that gave you the chance to compete at the collegiate level. To me, it takes some of the amateurism out of the sport, and I just don’t like it.

With all that said, I hope it works out for the kid. Wish him no ill will. But when I go back and look at my favorite Bobcat players, guys like him and Prukop won’t be on the list. Nothing personal, just how I feel about it.
No question that lower division players are found all the time. However, MSU usually only gets a handful of scouts show up for pro day. I expect that a player at a P5 school will get more exposure both at their pro day and throughout the season. Also, dominating and post season recognition at the Big Sky level is perceived much differently than honors at a P5 school.

The one exception to the fewer number of eyes at MSU games may not apply this year though. I expect more eyes at the MSU pro day for Troy this year.

Also, there has been little discussion that Wood graduated. Not sure what Masters program he is seeking, but MSU may not have been an option academically.
We haven’t had any NFL prospects recently. Scouts come to games, they come to practices, they know what talent is here. If the talent was here, they’d be here, plain and simple. It’s not that they’re not here, it’s that they don’t need to be.

As for the academic situation, 95% of the time, it’s a convenient excuse. If Wood wanted to be here, then he would. He didn’t want to be here anymore, and that’s his choice. I can understand the logic of it. Still doesn’t mean I like it.
Travis Jonsen is on Tampa's practice squad. I'm sure if it wasn't for Covid, at least Mitch Brott would have been given an opportunity to work out for an NFL team.
By NFL prospects, I mean players that have a legitimate shot at playing in the NFL. We’ve had some nice and good players, but legit NFL types? I don’t think so. Like I said, scouts come here. They watch. If a player is good enough, they’ll find them.

Andersen is the only one in recent memory.
Around 30% of current NFL players were never drafted by the league. That's a pretty good chunk of guys that scouts didn't believe had a real legitimate shot at playing in the NFL, at least worthy of using a draft pick on. I think making a practice squad gives you pretty good shot at playing in the NFL, that's how Alex Singleton made it. Sure, you aren't going to see a lot of FCS players drafted like you see in the FBS, but I've always wondered how many guys out there could have made it if they had an opportunity. Mitch Brott comes to mind for me.
Several things.

I never said you have to be drafted. Never said anything negative about the practice squad either.

All I’m saying is that scouts come to MSU. We are not avoided by the NFL. The teams in the NFL as a whole have not had a lot of reason to come to MSU lately, outside of Andersen. Going to a bigger school to play answers the competition question, I don’t think it necessarily makes a player significantly more likely to get noticed by scouts.

Finally, scouts aren’t drafting. They may have a different grade on a player than where they get drafted. It’s an important distinction.

But look, we’ve seen players at Wisconsin WhiteWater get drafted recently without even playing a senior season! The idea you have to go somewhere else (away from MSU) to get noticed by the NFL is just faulty logic. Even Jabril Cox realistically didn’t get more noticed by scouts because he went to LSU, it just answered the competition question. They already knew who he was and had seen him plenty.
I can guarantee you that there are normally more scouts at a pro day at a P5 school versus an FCS school. This has a huge impact on getting noticed and drafted.
You’re missing the point entirely.

If you are good enough, then plenty of teams will be at your pro day. Look at NDSU, I bet they get 20+ teams there because they have players that are good enough. How do they figure that out? Scouts go to the games! So if you’re good enough, you’ll get noticed. We’ve seen it time and time again.

Fwiw, game tape, and getting an invitation to an event like the Senior Bowl will have more impact than a Pro Day, imo. And once again, how do they figure out who goes to the Senior Bowl? Scouts go to the games! And we know that scouts go to MSU’s game. There isn’t a player out there from MSU that is not on an NFL roster because they didn’t get noticed by a scout.
I will utilize a theory from another poster. Common sense tells me that the extra exposure at a larger school (such as more scouts and wider TV coverage and playing against better opponents) can lead to a 95% better chance at getting drafted.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:43 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:12 pm
All the frustration is so irrelevant. It’s a kid that gave you everything he had and now has opportunity to go play at where he probably dreamed of playing in HS. Players don’t owe the fans anything...that’s the delusion of fandom.
I don’t think the fans have a thing to do with anything here.
Fans sharing information and opinions is literally the entire purpose of this website.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:47 pm

Totally with 99 here. The kid is free to do what he wants, but it’s a bigger problem bleeding into kids now. MSU took a risk on Wood, gave him a scholarship, and then he used that to try and find lighting in a bottle. I wish he stayed, but I also am not part of the PC/snowflake crowd that would say “good for him no matter the circumstances”. I think he is making a mistake, and just like it’s his “right” to leave, it’s my “right” to say that.

The PC police and the snowflakes will say, “ well coaches can leave when they want, why can’t a kid?”. Welcome to the real world where your boss makes 10 times what you make. Guess what, that boss hired you and took a risk on you, so yeah he can do what he wants and you can’t. Oh and yeah he was getting paid to play via scholarship, so don’t even say he is doing what’s in his best interest by leaving MSU if that’s your angle. Wood doesn’t owe anybody anything, and when you have a dissenting opinion about his decision, that doesn’t mean you think he does.

Good luck Mr. Wood.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:14 am

Yes, welcome to the real world of one year contracts.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:29 am

It will take time but the "exposure" aspect is a to be determined factor. He was definitely going to start on the line at MSU. What if he ends up going to Missouri and ends up buried on the depth chart? Not much exposure when you're on the bench, kind of like Prukop ended up. He got a little exposure at the beginning of the season and then got buried by Herbert who ended up being a pretty dang good NFL quarterback (so far). Woody took a risk and I'll be interested to see if it pays off and he plays or if he gets buried and never sees the field. I hope he has success, but he took a big risk for not much reward in my opinion. But no one was asking me, so...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:47 pm
Totally with 99 here. The kid is free to do what he wants, but it’s a bigger problem bleeding into kids now. MSU took a risk on Wood, gave him a scholarship, and then he used that to try and find lighting in a bottle. I wish he stayed, but I also am not part of the PC/snowflake crowd that would say “good for him no matter the circumstances”. I think he is making a mistake, and just like it’s his “right” to leave, it’s my “right” to say that.

The PC police and the snowflakes will say, “ well coaches can leave when they want, why can’t a kid?”. Welcome to the real world where your boss makes 10 times what you make. Guess what, that boss hired you and took a risk on you, so yeah he can do what he wants and you can’t. Oh and yeah he was getting paid to play via scholarship, so don’t even say he is doing what’s in his best interest by leaving MSU if that’s your angle. Wood doesn’t owe anybody anything, and when you have a dissenting opinion about his decision, that doesn’t mean you think he does.

Good luck Mr. Wood.
Do you understand that some people are genuinely happy for other people who have success, even if their success causes more trouble for you? I'm not sure what this has to do with "PC and snowflake crowds".

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am

So woods goal is to play in the NFL, which is why he left...

I truly believe his best shot at doing this would have been to stay at MSU. And I’m not just being a biased fan.

At MSU- guaranteed starting spot on a nationally ranked team, potentially an all American, maybe some things like a senior bowl invite, etc.

Missouri- there is a damn good chance that he won’t even start.... BIG gamble to go this route.

Which one offers a better chance at a shot in the NFL.... again, look at prukop. Had he stayed at MSU I truly think he would have got a shot in the NFL... but he totally blew that.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:13 am

Found something interesting, former MSU Erik Link is on Mizzou coaching staff as the Special Teams Coor. Wonder if he helped play a role in getting Connor to Mizzou.
https://mutigers.com/sports/football/ro ... -link/2075

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:29 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am

I truly believe his best shot at doing this would have been to stay at MSU. And I’m not just being a biased fan.

At MSU- guaranteed starting spot on a nationally ranked team, potentially an all American, maybe some things like a senior bowl invite, etc.

Missouri- there is a damn good chance that he won’t even start.... BIG gamble to go this route.

Which one offers a better chance at a shot in the NFL.... again, look at prukop. Had he stayed at MSU I truly think he would have got a shot in the NFL... but he totally blew that.
I think in a normal year transferring to Missouri would be a good idea if he has a really good shot at starting. Missouri will have more scouts attending their games because they are not only a bigger school but they play in the SEC and have SEC opponents. Of course, Missouri is generally average at best so they get outplayed by the top level competition. However, the eyeballs will be there regardless of the team's performance.

The 2021 season is slightly different though. Troy Andersen is in his last year and the Bobcats should be a top 10 FCS team that plays in multiple high profile conference games. The offensive line and run game should continue to be dominant. If there was ever a year for an offensive lineman to get exposure at MSU it's this year. For these reasons, we'll have multiple scouts at every game and I bet we'll have better than average attendance at the pro day this spring.

In a normal year moving up, assuming it's realistic that you'll get lots of playing time, is the obvious move. This year it's not so obvious.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am

mslacatfan wrote:

I have no clue about this situation. But these guys were obviously talking. I'd have to think before taking a risk like this he'd already know based on Missouri's needs that he'd have a great opportunity to start. If not it would be a head scratcher in regards to football. Maybe still a great move for him in regards education though.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:42 am

MSU's roster is loaded with guys who loved playing for Choate. I have a hunch there are a lot of guys who would have tried their hand at "free agency" if they didn't know this team has a chance to be really good. I can imagine if Choate would've left a couple years ago when the roster wasn't quite as loaded, we would have seen a mass exodus IF the current transfer rules were in place at that time. It could be that Conner is looking for that kind of fiery leader and knows he needs that. If I'm him and that's the case, I'm not throwing the new guy under the bus. I'm gonna make it about my opportunities. I'm not saying he's lying about his reasons, I'm just saying I wouldn't be above that if it were me. Not a lot of guys want to say "I just don't like the new coaching staff and want to go to a different kind of culture".

And if he has a shot in the NFL, he won't get buried on the roster at Mizzou. If he does get buried, I think he'll have his answer. I don't blame him for shooting his shot. I admire it. I think I would've stayed with the known commodity.

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:46 pm

He graduated. His commitment is over. My view.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm

asstastic wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:46 pm
That is the only reason I am not overly bitter about this one.... I hate that he left, and personally think it was a big mistake on his part... but he graduated, so it’s hard to ask for much more then that.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:24 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
asstastic wrote:
That is the only reason I am not overly bitter about this one.... I hate that he left, and personally think it was a big mistake on his part... but he graduated, so it’s hard to ask for much more then that.
Yeah, if anything the Cats are pretty deep at that position. Lot's of young talent around. However, Troy Andersen, Taylor Tuiasosopo, Willie Patterson, Tucker Rovig, Lewis Kidd, and Ty Okada also graduated. I wouldn't criticize any of those young men from moving on in life but I'm happy they are sticking around, at least sticking around for now. Imagine losing Tui, Kidd, and Woody to free agency this year. Ouch.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:05 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

How many Bobcats have played in the NFL on an active roster the last 20 years?

Off of the top of my head, Mike Person, Dane Fletcher, Joey Thomas, and Alex Singleton.

Only Thomas (3rd round) and Person (7th round) were drafted.

I loved growing up in Montana, but there is a tribal mentality against graduates regardless of profession wanting to move for what they feel are better opportunities. That’s why I moved to Portland after MSU. Much better career opportunities.

I don’t recall anyone complaining when Thomas transferred from UDub or Travis Jonson transferred from Oregon, and they hadn’t even graduated from those schools. Let’s throw in Bryce Sterk as well, who “abandoned” his teammates at UDUb to play great football for the Bobcats.
Last edited by PapaG on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
asstastic wrote:
Why do you think it’s a “big mistake?” The odds of making the NFL from MSU are minuscule. Two players drafted in the last 20 years isn’t exactly an NFL pipeline, if that’s his goal.

I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
asstastic wrote:
Why do you think it’s a “big mistake?” The odds of making the NFL from MSU are minuscule. Two players drafted in the last 20 years isn’t exactly an NFL pipeline, if that’s his goal.

I feel like I explained my opinion pretty clearly in my posts above.... see my mention of prukop as an example, and how He would have had a Better shot at the nfl had he stayed. JMO.

And by the way- you are making my point by using Jonsen and sandland as examples. They got better nfl exposure by dominating at MSU, vs not seeing the field at the higher level.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 pm
PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
asstastic wrote:

I feel like I explained my opinion pretty clearly in my posts above.... see my mention of prukop as an example, and how He would have had a Better shot at the nfl had he stayed. JMO.

And by the way- you are making my point by using Jonsen and sandland as examples. They got better nfl exposure by dominating at MSU, vs not seeing the field at the higher level.
Prukop was never an NFL prospect. He left because of the coaching change and now he has Nike connections through grad school at UO. Troy Andersen couldn’t stay healthy in the MSU offense under Choate, and Dakota is nowhere near that size.

Worst case scenario for Wood is he has a business undergrad degree from Montana State, along with an MBA from Missouri, NFL or not. All for free. Big mistake!!

What a ride

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:38 pm

PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
asstastic wrote:

I'd say a player on an average O Line for an average FBS team isn't exactly an NFL pipeline either. Not trying to be argumentative, I am happy for the kid and wish him the best. I'm just of the opinion that if you're an NFL caliber player, you'll get your chance regardless of what college you play at.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!