Wood in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Wood in portal

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:09 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 am
ND0479 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm
I'm not a fan of this or any other transfer like this. I know I'll get bashed on this site (not for the first or last time) but I feel that you are letting your teammates and fans and school down when you leave for your final year. I felt that way about Prukop and I feel that way about Wood. Go ahead and let me have it.
Yeah, you can look at it like that. Or you can look at it as he gave you everything he had for the years he was here and now he had the opportunity to live out his dream of playing at the highest level of college football. I’m sure the hardest part would be leaving your teammates behind.
I can see both sides of this, but the one thing that always bothers me is when people talk about players playing at the highest level. Yes I understand the concept of wanting to test yourself against the best players, but I really don't think it improves the NFL prospects in the majority of cases. Last, in terms of that "feeling" players get when entering the stadium for a "big time" program versus our cute little school here, I'd argue any college player isn't going to top that "feeling" these players have in Bobcat Stadium when our atmosphere is electric and they come out and stomp the Griz, or beat teams in the playoffs, etc. It's not going to be a better feeling when they enter the stadium at Alabama, IMO.
I do agree that if you're good, scouts will find you. I also believe that scouts will always ask the question, "but who was he playing against?" Yes they can look past competition levels, but if you have a chance to take that factor out of the conversation, I say you try it. Sure you could fail, but I think part of what makes an ambitious person successful is the desire to take risks and push themselves. And I think ambitious people are the ones we want, both as players and coaches. We're starting to KIND OF accept that coaches will almost always see MSU as a stepping stone to bigger jobs. With the free agency created by the new transfer rules, the same opportunities are being given to players and it's going to take us some time to be OK with it. I have to convince myself to be OK with it, but there's still a part of me that kind of takes it personally.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:32 am

Most kids don't dream of playing in the FCS, don't kid yourself. Maybe in-state kids in some of the bigger FCS programs (especially Montana), but that's going to be the minority. If a kid who came to MSU has a chance to play at a higher level, maybe even his dream school that didn't recruit him when he was in high school, I'll never wish that kid ill will. Testing yourself in life is a big key to success IMO. So is sticking it out when the going gets tough so I totally get that side of it, but ultimately they are young men, kids, and shouldn't be forced to attend a college that they no longer want to attend, for whatever reason that may be.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 am
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
I'm not a fan of this or any other transfer like this. I know I'll get bashed on this site (not for the first or last time) but I feel that you are letting your teammates and fans and school down when you leave for your final year. I felt that way about Prukop and I feel that way about Wood. Go ahead and let me have it.
Yeah, you can look at it like that. Or you can look at it as he gave you everything he had for the years he was here and now he had the opportunity to live out his dream of playing at the highest level of college football. I’m sure the hardest part would be leaving your teammates behind.
I can see both sides of this, but the one thing that always bothers me is when people talk about players playing at the highest level. Yes I understand the concept of wanting to test yourself against the best players, but I really don't think it improves the NFL prospects in the majority of cases. Last, in terms of that "feeling" players get when entering the stadium for a "big time" program versus our cute little school here, I'd argue any college player isn't going to top that "feeling" these players have in Bobcat Stadium when our atmosphere is electric and they come out and stomp the Griz, or beat teams in the playoffs, etc. It's not going to be a better feeling when they enter the stadium at Alabama, IMO.
Years ago, I went to a top 10 nationally televised game between Nebraska and Notre Dame in Lincoln. The intro was electric and everyone went crazy. Yet the rest of the game had very little enthusiasm and Nebraska destroyed the Irish on that day. I walked away realizing just how lucky we are to have such great fans.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 am
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Some people were really hard on Dakota. I still feel strongly they were wrong. He had a chance to get more exposure and play professional football. Dakota loved MSU and his teammates. He still has his good friend Manny Kalfel on his Twitter banner. Dakota also graduated and there was a coaching change. He was a class act.

The parallels with Wood are amazing. New Coach and graduated. Chance to get more exposure and play professionally. Good for him!
If you’re good, they’ll find you. There have been several D2 and D3 OL drafted fairly high recently.

I understand players wanting to go play at a higher level, it’s what competitive players will do. At the same time, it seems disrespectful to the school that gave you the chance to compete at the collegiate level. To me, it takes some of the amateurism out of the sport, and I just don’t like it.

With all that said, I hope it works out for the kid. Wish him no ill will. But when I go back and look at my favorite Bobcat players, guys like him and Prukop won’t be on the list. Nothing personal, just how I feel about it.
No question that lower division players are found all the time. However, MSU usually only gets a handful of scouts show up for pro day. I expect that a player at a P5 school will get more exposure both at their pro day and throughout the season. Also, dominating and post season recognition at the Big Sky level is perceived much differently than honors at a P5 school.

The one exception to the fewer number of eyes at MSU games may not apply this year though. I expect more eyes at the MSU pro day for Troy this year.

Also, there has been little discussion that Wood graduated. Not sure what Masters program he is seeking, but MSU may not have been an option academically.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Some people were really hard on Dakota. I still feel strongly they were wrong. He had a chance to get more exposure and play professional football. Dakota loved MSU and his teammates. He still has his good friend Manny Kalfel on his Twitter banner. Dakota also graduated and there was a coaching change. He was a class act.

The parallels with Wood are amazing. New Coach and graduated. Chance to get more exposure and play professionally. Good for him!
If you’re good, they’ll find you. There have been several D2 and D3 OL drafted fairly high recently.

I understand players wanting to go play at a higher level, it’s what competitive players will do. At the same time, it seems disrespectful to the school that gave you the chance to compete at the collegiate level. To me, it takes some of the amateurism out of the sport, and I just don’t like it.

With all that said, I hope it works out for the kid. Wish him no ill will. But when I go back and look at my favorite Bobcat players, guys like him and Prukop won’t be on the list. Nothing personal, just how I feel about it.
No question that lower division players are found all the time. However, MSU usually only gets a handful of scouts show up for pro day. I expect that a player at a P5 school will get more exposure both at their pro day and throughout the season. Also, dominating and post season recognition at the Big Sky level is perceived much differently than honors at a P5 school.

The one exception to the fewer number of eyes at MSU games may not apply this year though. I expect more eyes at the MSU pro day for Troy this year.

Also, there has been little discussion that Wood graduated. Not sure what Masters program he is seeking, but MSU may not have been an option academically.
We haven’t had any NFL prospects recently. Scouts come to games, they come to practices, they know what talent is here. If the talent was here, they’d be here, plain and simple. It’s not that they’re not here, it’s that they don’t need to be.

As for the academic situation, 95% of the time, it’s a convenient excuse. If Wood wanted to be here, then he would. He didn’t want to be here anymore, and that’s his choice. I can understand the logic of it. Still doesn’t mean I like it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:10 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

We haven’t had any NFL prospects recently. Scouts come to games, they come to practices, they know what talent is here. If the talent was here, they’d be here, plain and simple. It’s not that they’re not here, it’s that they don’t need to be.

As for the academic situation, 95% of the time, it’s a convenient excuse. If Wood wanted to be here, then he would. He didn’t want to be here anymore, and that’s his choice. I can understand the logic of it. Still doesn’t mean I like it.
Travis Jonsen is on Tampa's practice squad. I'm sure if it wasn't for Covid, at least Mitch Brott would have been given an opportunity to work out for an NFL team.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Where do you come up with 95%? Connor graduated with a business degree. MSU does not offer an MBA or a law degree. Seems pretty logical that most kids would transfer to get some school paid for the Masters. The Deming twins just did the same thing.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:10 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Travis Jonsen is on Tampa's practice squad. I'm sure if it wasn't for Covid, at least Mitch Brott would have been given an opportunity to work out for an NFL team.
By NFL prospects, I mean players that have a legitimate shot at playing in the NFL. We’ve had some nice and good players, but legit NFL types? I don’t think so. Like I said, scouts come here. They watch. If a player is good enough, they’ll find them.

Andersen is the only one in recent memory.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Where do you come up with 95%? Connor graduated with a business degree. MSU does not offer an MBA or a law degree. Seems pretty logical that most kids would transfer to get some school paid for the Masters. The Deming twins just did the same thing.
I made it up based on common sense.

Wood said the reason he left is because he thought it was the best path for him to get to the NFL. Didn’t mention academics.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

By NFL prospects, I mean players that have a legitimate shot at playing in the NFL. We’ve had some nice and good players, but legit NFL types? I don’t think so. Like I said, scouts come here. They watch. If a player is good enough, they’ll find them.

Around 30% of current NFL players were never drafted by the league. That's a pretty good chunk of guys that scouts didn't believe had a real legitimate shot at playing in the NFL, at least worthy of using a draft pick on. I think making a practice squad gives you pretty good shot at playing in the NFL, that's how Alex Singleton made it. Sure, you aren't going to see a lot of FCS players drafted like you see in the FBS, but I've always wondered how many guys out there could have made it if they had an opportunity. Mitch Brott comes to mind for me.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Around 30% of current NFL players were never drafted by the league. That's a pretty good chunk of guys that scouts didn't believe had a real legitimate shot at playing in the NFL, at least worthy of using a draft pick on. I think making a practice squad gives you pretty good shot at playing in the NFL, that's how Alex Singleton made it. Sure, you aren't going to see a lot of FCS players drafted like you see in the FBS, but I've always wondered how many guys out there could have made it if they had an opportunity. Mitch Brott comes to mind for me.
Several things.

I never said you have to be drafted. Never said anything negative about the practice squad either.

All I’m saying is that scouts come to MSU. We are not avoided by the NFL. The teams in the NFL as a whole have not had a lot of reason to come to MSU lately, outside of Andersen. Going to a bigger school to play answers the competition question, I don’t think it necessarily makes a player significantly more likely to get noticed by scouts.

Finally, scouts aren’t drafting. They may have a different grade on a player than where they get drafted. It’s an important distinction.

But look, we’ve seen players at Wisconsin WhiteWater get drafted recently without even playing a senior season! The idea you have to go somewhere else (away from MSU) to get noticed by the NFL is just faulty logic. Even Jabril Cox realistically didn’t get more noticed by scouts because he went to LSU, it just answered the competition question. They already knew who he was and had seen him plenty.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:51 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Several things.

I never said you have to be drafted. Never said anything negative about the practice squad either.

All I’m saying is that scouts come to MSU. We are not avoided by the NFL. The teams in the NFL as a whole have not had a lot of reason to come to MSU lately, outside of Andersen. Going to a bigger school to play answers the competition question, I don’t think it necessarily makes a player significantly more likely to get noticed by scouts.

Finally, scouts aren’t drafting. They may have a different grade on a player than where they get drafted. It’s an important distinction.

But look, we’ve seen players at Wisconsin WhiteWater get drafted recently without even playing a senior season! The idea you have to go somewhere else (away from MSU) to get noticed by the NFL is just faulty logic. Even Jabril Cox realistically didn’t get more noticed by scouts because he went to LSU, it just answered the competition question. They already knew who he was and had seen him plenty.
I can guarantee you that there are normally more scouts at a pro day at a P5 school versus an FCS school. This has a huge impact on getting noticed and drafted.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Wood said the reason he left is because he thought it was the best path for him to get to the NFL. Didn’t mention academics.
Common sense? You said 95% of the time it is a convenient excuse. Your number seems really high. All these kids are in college to get a college education. The Deming twins are a great example. It would seem that if you graduate and still have some eligibility left, it would make sense to have more of your college paid for if you want a more advanced degree. Common sense tells me it is way lower than 95%.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:51 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Several things.

I can guarantee you that there are normally more scouts at a pro day at a P5 school versus an FCS school. This has a huge impact on getting noticed and drafted.
You’re missing the point entirely.

If you are good enough, then plenty of teams will be at your pro day. Look at NDSU, I bet they get 20+ teams there because they have players that are good enough. How do they figure that out? Scouts go to the games! So if you’re good enough, you’ll get noticed. We’ve seen it time and time again.

Fwiw, game tape, and getting an invitation to an event like the Senior Bowl will have more impact than a Pro Day, imo. And once again, how do they figure out who goes to the Senior Bowl? Scouts go to the games! And we know that scouts go to MSU’s game. There isn’t a player out there from MSU that is not on an NFL roster because they didn’t get noticed by a scout.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Common sense? You said 95% of the time it is a convenient excuse. Your number seems really high. All these kids are in college to get a college education. The Deming twins are a great example. It would seem that if you graduate and still have some eligibility left, it would make sense to have more of your college paid for if you want a more advanced degree. Common sense tells me it is way lower than 95%.
Would you like it better if I said the vast majority or even majority rather than 95%?

You do of course realize that Wood could have gotten a masters at MSU, paid for, correct? There’s a lot of options. The money isn’t the issue. For some people like the Deming’s, school obviously is the issue. Rarely is it ever the issue when a player is moving up. Like Wood himself said, it’s because he said he thinks it will improve his chances at the NFL. I just don’t agree with that, that’s all.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:37 pm

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:12 pm

All the frustration is so irrelevant. It’s a kid that gave you everything he had and now has opportunity to go play at where he probably dreamed of playing in HS. Players don’t owe the fans anything...that’s the delusion of fandom.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:12 pm
All the frustration is so irrelevant. It’s a kid that gave you everything he had and now has opportunity to go play at where he probably dreamed of playing in HS. Players don’t owe the fans anything...that’s the delusion of fandom.
I don’t think the fans have a thing to do with anything here.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:20 pm

ND0479 wrote:
My feelings are that MSU offered a scholarship when these other schools weren’t there. They gave development, an education, playing time, etc, and received good quality play. I just hate that this is becoming more and more normal. It degrades what MSU is.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:20 pm
ND0479 wrote:
My feelings are that MSU offered a scholarship when these other schools weren’t there. They gave development, an education, playing time, etc, and received good quality play. I just hate that this is becoming more and more normal. It degrades what MSU is.
Have you ever been offered a job when you were young, made all of your quotas/benchmarks, excelled in all ways, and then left for what you perceive to be a better opportunity when management changed?

If so, you’re being completely hypocritical. Or maybe you’ve stayed at the same job your entire life, which is admirable but to me, the sign of a lack of ambition to better your career.

PS

Had to liven this places up a bit. Going from the Big Sky to the SEC is like leaving your first job at a small tech company for more money at Google or Microsoft. I never get the resentment when players who graduated, especially during a coaching change, try to improve their career.

Seems small-town to me in a way. Some people like to experience other opportunities, even if it means leaving small programs in small states or small companies for larger companies. I remember back when you were blaming McGhee for being a Pike and supposedly a bad influence in the locker room. That was unreal.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride