Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Transfers

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 11, 2021 3:09 am

Easton Stick had the one thing that is going to cost Mellott with Vigen — size. I’m a huge Mellott fan, but I fear for his QB chances.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue May 11, 2021 6:19 am

spring creek cat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:02 am
This is horrible news! I really think Blake had a shot at being a very productive QB. I really think this has to do with a coaching change for him. Yes the QB room is full, but I agree mellot will eventually move and Bauman can’t through a 5 yard out! I really think he had a shot at being the future QB.
I talked directly to Blake’s dad this last summer in July and he said if Blake doesn’t get more scholarship money he was going to transfer. So I don’t think coaching had anything to do with it. Choate was the coach when he told me that and I think he waited until after the Covid mess to see if he would get anymore scholarship money and it probably didn’t happen so he left.

If your left, you aren’t right.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 am

Thelen is a big loss IMHO. Judging only by the Sonny Holland scrimmage this Spring, Blake was the best passer in the game. Granted not always against the 1's on defense. There is a reason Vigen said that Blake "has a chance to play here" in his spring game wrapup interview.
Mellott may have potential, and I know he's a great athlete, but he looked terrible in that game until very late. I don't think he completed a pass until the last drive of the game vs. 2's and 3's (I could be off a bit on that, but not much). I remember his first possession was a 3 and out and included a bad pass and pulling the ball way late on a zone read and losing yards. He might get there someday but he's not close at this point. Again, just my opinion from 1 scrimmage.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 am

I may be in the minority here, but I haven't seen anything out of Mellot that makes me think he is going to be a starting QB at MSU any time soon, and I have to agree with Vim that I think he ends up switching positions at some point.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue May 11, 2021 9:21 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 am
I may be in the minority here, but I haven't seen anything out of Mellot that makes me think he is going to be a starting QB at MSU any time soon, and I have to agree with Vim that I think he ends up switching positions at some point.
Not sure about minority, but you aren't alone, see my post right above yours.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 am
******, I talked to someone who knows a lot more than me about QB play and he said Blake was our most promising young QB, by far. He was worried this may happen. Going to be interesting to see where he lands.
Yeah, I don't know. I think Mellott is going to be a stud. Either way I think this was a good move for Thelen, not because I don't think he's good, but because I think he'll be stuck behind Mellott and because you gotta think that Vigen is going to bring in a transfer QB this summer and then keep recruiting QBs. Vigen's track record is going to encourage QBs to come to MSU and he's bound to land a stud or two.
Blake was head of Mellott at this point. Now, Blake has an extra year under his belt but if they had to go play tomorrow and Tommy & Blake were the only two QBs, Blake would be starting.

If I had to take an educated guess, we'll see Tommy playing a different position than QB by the time his career ends at MSU.
I agree on all levels, and people who know QB play at this level said as much the same.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:23 am

It’s too early to tell with Mellott as it’s a big jump from Butte to MSU. He needs a couple years, at least.

With that said, good reminder as to why it’s wise to temper expectations before calling him the next Dave Dickenson.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue May 11, 2021 12:08 pm

It sounds like Mellott's career goal at MSU should be to reach QB2 status. What are the chances we ever develop a QB who doesn't/can't start until their Jr/Sr season, and when was the last time that happened? If Vigen is such a QB guru he'll be recruiting guys that can start earlier than that and continue to grow on the field.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm

If there's any position where I trust Vigen, it's QB. We'll lose players for sure, and some will be better than others. I'm bummed that MSU is losing a Montana kid, but who's the last Montana kid who really played well at the FCS level at QB? Johnny Edwards? Not saying there won't be another one, but Montana isn't exactly churning out D-I quarterbacks. But beyond that, Vigen can identify good QBs, and good QB recruits are going to want to come to MSU (for the first time in a while). It's a bummer when good Montanans leave, but this is one position where we ought to trust Vigen.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue May 11, 2021 1:32 pm

Isn't Thelen going too be a doctor. He mentioned the 4 years eligibility, two years into school now so would seem like two more then off too grad school and medical school unless he forgoes that too play

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:32 pm
Isn't Thelen going too be a doctor. He mentioned the 4 years eligibility, two years into school now so would seem like two more then off too grad school and medical school unless he forgoes that too play
For many, especially with advanced education aspirations, there is no better reason to transfer than scholarship money. I sincerely hope he finds what he needs, and gets his schooling paid.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm
If there's any position where I trust Vigen, it's QB. We'll lose players for sure, and some will be better than others. I'm bummed that MSU is losing a Montana kid, but who's the last Montana kid who really played well at the FCS level at QB? Johnny Edwards? Not saying there won't be another one, but Montana isn't exactly churning out D-I quarterbacks. But beyond that, Vigen can identify good QBs, and good QB recruits are going to want to come to MSU (for the first time in a while). It's a bummer when good Montanans leave, but this is one position where we ought to trust Vigen.
Depending on who you ask. . . Troy Andersen. Was First Team All-Big Sky quarterback in 2018.

I would say he was more of a running back that would occasionally do a trick pass every once in a while. Not exactly a typically D-1 qb, but he did play well.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:09 am
Easton Stick had the one thing that is going to cost Mellott with Vigen — size. I’m a huge Mellott fan, but I fear for his QB chances.
Yeah he's a little bit bigger. Mellott might still be growing. I wouldn't count him out. I don't think Vigen is so narrow-minded that he wouldn't play Mellott, if Mellott is excelling.

Stick 6-1, 215 frosh year at NDSU
Mellott 6-0, 195

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm

I think Thelen might be as good a passer as Quinn McQueary, who QB'd here for awhile before transferring to Tech where he had a nice career and was second team all Frontier his junior and senior years. They 9-1 his junior year and 6-4 his senior year. Impossible to say with him only take a few snaps vs. 2s and 3s. I think McQ would've started here after Prukop left in 2015. He pulled the trigger too soon. I don't think Thelen was as elusive on his feet as McQ.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Selle at UM in 2009 is the last QB that played well at the FCS level.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:43 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm
I think Thelen might be as good a passer as Quinn McQueary, who QB'd here for awhile before transferring to Tech where he had a nice career and was second team all Frontier his junior and senior years. They 9-1 his junior year and 6-4 his senior year. Impossible to say with him only take a few snaps vs. 2s and 3s. I think McQ would've started here after Prukop left in 2015. He pulled the trigger too soon. I don't think Thelen was as elusive on his feet as McQ.
Ash not putting him into the Cat Griz game after Bleskin struggled played a role in that.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Yeah he's a little bit bigger. Mellott might still be growing. I wouldn't count him out. I don't think Vigen is so narrow-minded that he wouldn't play Mellott, if Mellott is excelling.

Mellott 6-0, 195
Thanks. I was thinking Stick was a little taller than that. He was a ball of muscle by his senior year. He was very hard to bring down, for a mere QB! Go Tommy. I’m hoping for someone fun to watch again. We had such a run with Lulay / McGhee / Prukop. If Vigen can assemble a quarterback like Lulay (or McGhee) who could literally take a game by the throat and truly lead his team to victory — then to paraphrase Yogi “Their limitations would be unlimited.”

BlueNGoldTilIDie
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueNGoldTilIDie » Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm

I would have to say the last great qb to come out of montana high school would be Brock Osweiler.
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm

BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm
I would have to say the last great qb to come out of montana high school would be Brock Osweiler.
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
True. He was FBS though.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 11, 2021 9:24 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Thanks. I was thinking Stick was a little taller than that. He was a ball of muscle by his senior year. He was very hard to bring down, for a mere QB! Go Tommy. I’m hoping for someone fun to watch again. We had such a run with Lulay / McGhee / Prukop. If Vigen can assemble a quarterback like Lulay (or McGhee) who could literally take a game by the throat and truly lead his team to victory — then to paraphrase Yogi “Their limitations would be unlimited.”
Sounds like lots of people are kinda giving up on Mellott, but there’s more to playing QB than completing a few passes in a scrimmage. Football is a team game. Bad QBs have good games, thanks to their teammates, and good QBs have bad games, sometimes at no fault of their own. I saw some good things by him that don’t show up on the stat sheet. I know everyone is rooting for him. I won’t count him out until he’s out.