Six players leave Griz WBB.

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14900
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Six players, including Jordyn and Shelby Schweyen, have left the UM women's hoop program.

UM website sill lists Petrino as head coach.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5128
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by RickRund » Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm
Six players, including Jordyn and Shelby Schweyen, have left the UM women's hoop program.

UM website sill lists Petrino as head coach.
And I thought I saw on that other site that they are feeling they were turning the corner. Looks as if they may have turned left...



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14900
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm
Six players, including Jordyn and Shelby Schweyen, have left the UM women's hoop program.

UM website sill lists Petrino as head coach.
And I thought I saw on that other site that they are feeling they were turning the corner. Looks as if they may have turned left...
With one exception, I don't think any of these girls were BSC caliber players. I see one has transferred to another DI school, but I think most are more like Frontier players. Shannon Schweyen's downfall was that she continued to try to recruit and win with in-state players and Montana has been passed up by most states over the past 10 years. I think she's a good coach, but tried to replicate Selvig too much. Even Selvig was finding things more difficult late in his career. There are also numerous other countries around the globe that are grinding out players and I don't think Montana preps have very good access to the AAU circuit, but that has been improving.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon May 03, 2021 6:30 pm

I think they were all cut by the new coach.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1538
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 04, 2021 3:49 am

Who else left / was encouraged to leave? It did seem beyond the top three players that things dropped off a bit.



ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by ibleedblue » Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am

Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5128
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by RickRund » Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.
And because of the coaches moves there are a couple over on egriz that have written off griz lady bb. A coach must do what he feels is necessary to improve the product...



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6572
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by iaafan » Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.
And because of the coaches moves there are a couple over on egriz that have written off griz lady bb. A coach must do what he feels is necessary to improve the product...
So they're writing off the program, because the coach has cut some players off a mediocre to team to make it better? Good luck to whoever said that. I'm sure most of the players will end up at Frontier schools, perhaps that guy can follow them there.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1538
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 04, 2021 1:52 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.
And because of the coaches moves there are a couple over on egriz that have written off griz lady bb. A coach must do what he feels is necessary to improve the product...
That’s pretty funny. They are writing off their own team, while over here we are thinking they’ll be better soon.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4235
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:52 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.
And because of the coaches moves there are a couple over on egriz that have written off griz lady bb. A coach must do what he feels is necessary to improve the product...
That’s pretty funny. They are writing off their own team, while over here we are thinking they’ll be better soon.
I went over and looked at the thread. What an absolute sh1t show!



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5128
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by RickRund » Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:52 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.
And because of the coaches moves there are a couple over on egriz that have written off griz lady bb. A coach must do what he feels is necessary to improve the product...
That’s pretty funny. They are writing off their own team, while over here we are thinking they’ll be better soon.
I went over and looked at the thread. What an absolute sh1t show!
One of them I though was a big, big rah-rah guy...



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4235
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Six players leave Griz WBB.

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:52 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
Sounds like the new coach basically did not renew their scholarships. I actually think this was the best move he could make. I agree 100% those 6 were not D1 caliber players and would never see the floor here. New coach is doing what probably needs to be done there.

On another note, I missed where he hired former Cats coach Nate Harris. He got a good one there in my opinion. I have a feeling his team will be pretty good again in a couple years.
And because of the coaches moves there are a couple over on egriz that have written off griz lady bb. A coach must do what he feels is necessary to improve the product...
That’s pretty funny. They are writing off their own team, while over here we are thinking they’ll be better soon.
I went over and looked at the thread. What an absolute sh1t show!
One of them I though was a big, big rah-rah guy...
I am guessing you are referring to PlayerRep. I thought his posts and accusations were over the top with all kinds of assumptions - specifically about native Americans and the new coach. But that guy has always been about self inflated ego and being the big shot. I have no idea about why the coach cut these girls, but many said it was strictly a business decision. He didn’t think they were D1 talent so he took action. Pretty callous decision, but I am sure his motivation was to put the best team on the court as quickly as possible.



Post Reply