WBB COACHES

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

WBB COACHES

Post by Catlady » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Why are there so many men Head Coaches in D1 WBB, but not one female HC in MBB?
Last edited by Catlady on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: WBB COACHES

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Wow! That’s an excellent question......... it’s definitely noticeable, it’s bad but not as bad when you look at the number men officiating women’s games compared to the number of women officiating men’s. I don’t know the answer, but admit the Women’s basketball has improved significantly and has become very enjoyable to watch. Have often wondered how would Gino Auriemma or Coach Binford would perform as a Men’s HC.

Hoping in 5-10 years it’ll be an easier question to answer.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:20 pm

The NBA is doing a much better job here, with 7 active female assistant coaches. I'd guess it'll be sooner rather than later that a female head coach is hired by someone, quite possibly Becky Hammon with the Spurs when Gregg Popovich retires. It's too bad that NCAA basketball hasn't kept up in this regard.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 pm

Shouldn't they hire the best available person that applies

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 pm
Isn’t that the gist of the original post? There are a lot of quality women coaches out there.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Are you saying out of the over 350 D1 men’s jobs that not one woman was better qualified? I bet you can’t even identify one that was considered.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 pm

Catlady wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 pm
Is there a problem with the second half of your question?

As far as the first half, you might have an issue with the lack of female head coaches in WBB and the fact that there are still a lot of men in those positions. In that case people that are concerned should support female coaching development programs so that they beat out the male candidates (seems like that is happening just not at a fast enough pace for some people). The reason not every WBB team is coached by a female is either lack of qualified candidates or sexism. It's probably still some of both but at this point not as much sexism as some people might want it to be.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:57 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 pm
Catlady wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 pm
Is there a problem with the second half of your question?

As far as the first half, you might have an issue with the lack of female head coaches in WBB and the fact that there are still a lot of men in those positions. In that case people that are concerned should support female coaching development programs so that they beat out the male candidates (seems like that is happening just not at a fast enough pace for some people). The reason not every WBB team is coached by a female is either lack of qualified candidates or sexism. It's probably still some of both but at this point not as much sexism as some people might want it to be.
If it's a matter of development of female coaches they would have, for some time, been showing up in the assistant coaching ranks in both men's and women's programs. Are they? Is there data available for that?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Isn’t that the gist of the original post? There are a lot of quality women coaches out there.
That isn't how I took it. And she countered that I couldn't even name candidates. I can't because haven't been on any committees. Can catlady name any women candidates for men's positions and that were more qualified than the mean that was hired.

Sports is not bigger than life

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
That isn't how I took it. And she countered that I couldn't even name candidates. I can't because haven't been on any committees. Can catlady name any women candidates for men's positions and that were more qualified than the mean that was hired.

The issue is they aren’t even being considered for Men’s HC positions. It’s not that they strike out, they don’t get an at bat! There are qualified women coaches willing and able to run women and Men’s programs. Can’t quit laughing that a female can play at a very high level, but still need a development program to qualify for coaching positions. I don’t see women even in asst roles in Men’s programs. It’s all about getting an opportunity.

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 pm

Pretty simple really. Recruiting. Not only would a women HC in D-1 MBB be at a disadvantage just because she’s a women(f*cked up but true), but also because recruiting for men’s basketball is a WHOLE different world than women’s basketball. And when an AD is hiring a head coach, they are going to sign the person with experience coaching Men’s basketball, not women’s.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:47 am

Catlady wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

The issue is they aren’t even being considered for Men’s HC positions. It’s not that they strike out, they don’t get an at bat! There are qualified women coaches willing and able to run women and Men’s programs. Can’t quit laughing that a female can play at a very high level, but still need a development program to qualify for coaching positions. I don’t see women even in asst roles in Men’s programs. It’s all about getting an opportunity.
I can't resist an attempt at cynical humor by commenting that maybe one of the current head coaches can "take one for the team" and transition to a woman and break that darn barrier. However, in all seriousness, if there are no women advancing on the men's coaching side of the department, perhaps there needs to be legislation in the spirit of Title IX to force changes.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 pm
Pretty simple really. Recruiting. Not only would a women HC in D-1 MBB be at a disadvantage just because she’s a women(f*cked up but true), but also because recruiting for men’s basketball is a WHOLE different world than women’s basketball. And when an AD is hiring a head coach, they are going to sign the person with experience coaching Men’s basketball, not women’s.
Ok...... what are women missing in terms of recruiting? What’s the disadvantage? They recruit athletes today and it’s pretty competitive. After giving this some thought...... it’s not just hoops that there seems to be a level of sexism. It seems to be an issue in a majority of D1 sports. Men coach women, but women don’t coach men. Would love to hear from Coach Binford someday on why this is so prevalent.

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:48 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 pm
Griz__00 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 pm
Ok...... what are women missing in terms of recruiting? What’s the disadvantage? They recruit athletes today and it’s pretty competitive. After giving this some thought...... it’s not just hoops that there seems to be a level of sexism. It seems to be an issue in a majority of D1 sports. Men coach women, but women don’t coach men. Would love to hear from Coach Binford someday on why this is so prevalent.
You misunderstood. When an AD picks a coach or men’s basketball, they go for the coach with experience coaching and recruiting men 10 times out of 10. Not to mention a women coach would have a disadvantage trying to land commitments, just the way it is.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm

I still don't see a problem here. Why do women need to coach men? Or is this just something new to get mad about? Like I said before, if you want more female head coaches in WBB then that seems like something worth discussing, but the absence of female head coaches in MBB seems like an exercise in looking for a problem.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm
I still don't see a problem here. Why do women need to coach men? Or is this just something new to get mad about? Like I said before, if you want more female head coaches in WBB then that seems like something worth discussing, but the absence of female head coaches in MBB seems like an exercise in looking for a problem.
So........ thinking like you! If women shouldn’t coach Men, why do Men need to Coach women?
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
I thought it was about best qualified? I guess that only refers to WBB!
Sad that in 2021 we still have dinosaurs 😂

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm
coloradocat wrote:
So........ thinking like you! If women shouldn’t coach Men, why do Men need to Coach women?
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Name me one men’s basketball coaching job that should’ve been given to a women. Just one. And coaching experience in women’s basketball isn’t going very far when applying for a men’s basketball coaching job.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm
coloradocat wrote:
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Nice deflection. I never said men need to coach women. I would support every male WBB coach in the country resigning tomorrow so women can have those jobs. Still waiting on why women need to coach men. :-k

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 pm

Affirmative action hiring laws, as practiced in the rest of the country, would dictate that athletic departments would be AFFIRMATIVELY acting in such a way as to encourage minorities and women to apply for employment in these roles. If the athletic department is failing this and if the NCAA is not encouraging compliance, I suggest it may be time for lawmakers (or judges) to step forward.

Just because it's male athletics doesn't give them a pass.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 am

Hoping that there’s a time in sports and life that your sex, race and age doesn’t matter. Sounds like we’re further away from that time than I thought.
As I was reading the various post, I realize we have a ways to go!

I guess I’m encouraged by the comments and the fact that posters felt comfortable posting their positions. I don’t really care if men coach women or if women coach men. It’s all about results........ can’t see why anything else would matter.