Border Crisis

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Border Crisis

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:16 pm

Hard to understand how anybody could not classify this as a crisis. Now sexual assault at a migrant housing facility. Unbelievable.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas- ... al-assault

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Wow. Just amazing. Kamala still a no show at the border. But we do learn that she has German chocolate for her birthday on a visit to Chicago. But hey, it is from Fox News so some of the liberals here will claim it is a lie - if they even read it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white- ... rder-visit

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/psaki- ... ot-a-snack

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Like explained during the last administration, there are bad guys that are crossing illegally. Here is an MS13 member to go along with the terrorists on the watch list apprehended last week.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ms-13-gang-m ... der-patrol

And smugglers are now using groups of children to divert attention from adults sneaking in - some of whom may be criminals and smuggling drugs.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/migran ... rom-adults

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 am

Hearing from those that deal with this crisis on a daily basis - Sheriffs.

275 Sheriffs from 39 states have sent Biden a letter describing the facts and discussing their concerns:

"The president's open border policies are directly responsible for the abuse and death of children at the hands of criminal cartels, and an invitation to criminals and terrorists to prey on the American people. Hundreds of sheriffs and other law enforcement professionals, as well as local government officials in affected communities are telling the president it is time for immediate action, not words, to end the crisis he created."

"America’s Sheriffs recognize that in order for democracy to flourish and remain healthy in our republic, we must uphold and enforce the rule of law. There is no place for injecting political agendas that diminish the safety and security of our nation."

https://www.fairus.org/sites/default/fi ... Letter.pdf

Op Ed letter in USA Today from Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez of Val Verde County, Texas, on the border west of SA:

"I know there's a crisis. We are living it, every single day."

"In all my 42 years here, I have never seen so many migrants risking their lives to cross the Rio Grande as in the past couple of months."

"We were called to recover the remains of a Haitian woman, whose body was located on the American side of the river. She was pregnant with twins, and her pregnancy was at term. Her husband’s body was found nearby, on the Mexican side."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 837860001/

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 am
Hearing from those that deal with this crisis on a daily basis - Sheriffs.

275 Sheriffs from 39 states have sent Biden a letter describing the facts and discussing their concerns:

"The president's open border policies are directly responsible for the abuse and death of children at the hands of criminal cartels, and an invitation to criminals and terrorists to prey on the American people. Hundreds of sheriffs and other law enforcement professionals, as well as local government officials in affected communities are telling the president it is time for immediate action, not words, to end the crisis he created."

"America’s Sheriffs recognize that in order for democracy to flourish and remain healthy in our republic, we must uphold and enforce the rule of law. There is no place for injecting political agendas that diminish the safety and security of our nation."

https://www.fairus.org/sites/default/fi ... Letter.pdf

Op Ed letter in USA Today from Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez of Val Verde County, Texas, on the border west of SA:

"I know there's a crisis. We are living it, every single day."

"In all my 42 years here, I have never seen so many migrants risking their lives to cross the Rio Grande as in the past couple of months."

"We were called to recover the remains of a Haitian woman, whose body was located on the American side of the river. She was pregnant with twins, and her pregnancy was at term. Her husband’s body was found nearby, on the Mexican side."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 837860001/
Wow. So unbelievably sad. This should not be a political issue, but the silence from the liberal left is difficult to understand. And when you do hear from them, it something like “give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses...” in an attempt to justify this crisis.

CatBot
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatBot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 am

Aside from the standardized and highly predictable partisan finger pointing, I'm not hearing any good ideas. This is 2000 miles of mostly wilderness between two countries with a very large median income discrepancy ($31,000 for USA and $5900 for Mexico, and much lower with the countries that have access to Mexico's southern border). It's not like all of a sudden these people just decide not to risk their lives and come to the USA.

And btw, this IS a crisis. On so many levels.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:43 am

I just went to CNN.com to see their coverage on the border. Of the 120 articles on their front page, not one article was about the border crisis. However they did have articles on the capital root, Matt Gates, Khloe Kardashian, a pansexual influencer, Derek Chauvin, why Asian Americans are not using their names and how Jill Biden is “rocking a new look”.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/opinions ... index.html

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am

CatBot wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 am
Aside from the standardized and highly predictable partisan finger pointing, I'm not hearing any good ideas. This is 2000 miles of mostly wilderness between two countries with a very large median income discrepancy ($31,000 for USA and $5900 for Mexico, and much lower with the countries that have access to Mexico's southern border). It's not like all of a sudden these people just decide not to risk their lives and come to the USA.

Secure the border which will stop the human abuse issues at the border. Promote entering the country legally. Make the Mexican government more responsible. Force them into action by leveraging economic penalties against them.

One thing that is clear though is the current plan has been an abject failure. Making some changes and get it done today. If I was neglecting my job duties like Kamala or Biden, I would get fired.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am
CatBot wrote:

Secure the border which will stop the human abuse issues at the border. Promote entering the country legally. Make the Mexican government more responsible. Force them into action by leveraging economic penalties against them.

One thing that is clear though is the current plan has been an abject failure. Making some changes and get it done today. If I was neglecting my job duties like Kamala or Biden, I would get fired.
Always interesting when immigration laws fall solely on the POTUS that has been in office for 3 months, but not the predecessor that was responsible for a coherent immigration plan for 4 years... Unless of course locking children in cages and saying Mexico was going to build a wall was an immigration plan??? :roll:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 am
Cataholic wrote:
CatBot wrote:

Always interesting when immigration laws fall solely on the POTUS that has been in office for 3 months, but not the predecessor that was responsible for a coherent immigration plan for 4 years... Unless of course locking children in cages and saying Mexico was going to build a wall was an immigration plan??? :roll:
Seriously? You want to try and blame this fiasco on the previous administration? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seems there is a direct correlation with these current issues and the changes made by Biden. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 am

I just read where VP Harris has clarified that she is not responsible for addressing the Border Crisis but only in charge of "...to address the root causes of migration...from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras."
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bann ... -migration

This contradicts the first directive delegated to VP Harris of "The first goal will be stemming the flow of illegal immigrants to the U.S.".
https://news.yahoo.com/president-biden- ... 55702.html

The Administration sent Special Envoy Ricardo Zuniga to Guatemala and El Salvador yesterday and today. In the two-nation visit, Zuniga held talks addressing the root causes of migration to the US from Northern Triangle nations. One topic was that the "number of migrants attempting to cross the US-Mexico border reached a 15-year high".
https://foreignbrief.com/daily-news/us- ... -salvador/

During these meetings, VP Harris was at a Chicago bakery eating cake.

This is a pretty big difference and shucking of delegated responsibilities from the highest powered-position in the world. We are in big trouble here, folks. This crisis will not get any better by ignoring it and is especially troubling given the fact that our VP has willfully disregarded any directive given by the POTUS.

CatBot
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatBot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 am

Cataholic wrote:
CatBot wrote:

This post summarizes exactly what we have an endless supply of. Reread my post. Lots of finger pointing and plenty of utopian generalizations.

I'll say again, I've yet to hear an actionable plan that will help fix this crisis. It's a fair to say this isn't all Biden fault, in fact, thinking any different would be a perfect litmus test on whether or not you're nothing more than a polarized institutionalist.

So far with Biden and Harris, there's no public plan that I've seen. There HAS been time to roll something out if it was a priority, and it should be a priority IMO. The lack of urgency is perplexing. I'm hoping for an announcement of some kind very soon. It will take much more commitment than most are willing to acknowledge as of today.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 am
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 am
Cataholic wrote:
CatBot wrote:

Seriously? You want to try and blame this fiasco on the previous administration? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seems there is a direct correlation with these current issues and the changes made by Biden. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
This shouldn't surprise you. Copying my comment from another thread a few weeks ago - "Unfortunately, however bad it gets - the majority of Dems will always blame Trump for everything."

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:53 pm

Heard on the radio today during a news break on my sports station that the border saw 152,000 arrests or "detainments" last month. The most in 15 years.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

CatBot wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
CatBot wrote:

This post summarizes exactly what we have an endless supply of. Reread my post. Lots of finger pointing and plenty of utopian generalizations.

I'll say again, I've yet to hear an actionable plan that will help fix this crisis. It's a fair to say this isn't all Biden fault, in fact, thinking any different would be a perfect litmus test on whether or not you're nothing more than a polarized institutionalist.

So far with Biden and Harris, there's no public plan that I've seen. There HAS been time to roll something out if it was a priority, and it should be a priority IMO. The lack of urgency is perplexing. I'm hoping for an announcement of some kind very soon. It will take much more commitment than most are willing to acknowledge as of today.
You are correct that others have culpability as well. A huge amount of blame falls on the governments that these people are fleeing from. Why do some border states like Texas and Arizona have strong economies while Mexico flounders despite having good natural resources? It is because those foreign government’s leadership have failed.

I know you don’t like Trump and I have also tired of his antics as well, but he did not have these same problems. His policy was not perfect, but it was working. What Biden is currently doing has been a disaster. And his lack of urgency is more than perplexing, it borders on incompetence. As you mentioned above, he has had time to address this, but he hasn’t. Instead, today he releases an executive order for gun control. I actually agree with many items in his gun control agenda, but let’s address what has become a crisis at the border. He just simply doesn’t want to because he would have to admit he was wrong on how to approach it. Sorry, but that is what you alluded to above: “polarized institutionalized thinking”.

I did provide four actions items in my response above. Why do you just discount it as finger pointing and utopian generalizations? I am not going to write a detailed analysis, but the action items have worked to stem some of the critical issues being experienced at the border right now.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:53 pm
Heard on the radio today during a news break on my sports station that the border saw 152,000 arrests or "detainments" last month. The most in 15 years.
That is a lie. According to the GOP and many posters in this thread, Biden and Harris are letting these people in; especially terrorists and criminals. :wink:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Love that disclaimer BBB. :lol: I think you're the poster that said he was swearing off the "Discussing the Issues" thread.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm

This is almost unbelievable - but I guess it shouldn't be that surprising considering the stance from the liberal left regarding immigration. In fact they've all but told the world for years..... if we get full control of the United States, come on in - we'll figure it out. So now we round up all the illegals coming in, a bunch of them get bussed or flown to areas within the U.S. where we'll take care of them, or if you test positive for COVID apparently you get to isolate and get put up in motel rooms thanks to our taxpayer dollars.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Love that disclaimer BBB. :lol: I think you're the poster that said he was swearing off the "Discussing the Issues" thread.
Talk Sports Radio - like Dan Patrick Show, Jim Rome etc. Basically I was making the point I wasn't listening to Michael Savage or Hannity or someone. Do you not agree with those stats? I don't know if they are real or not.

Never said I was swearing off, said I'm a lot happier not arguing over stupid politics all the time. Said I'd check in so often, which is what I do.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm
iaafan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Talk Sports Radio - like Dan Patrick Show, Jim Rome etc. Basically I was making the point I wasn't listening to Michael Savage or Hannity or someone. Do you not agree with those stats? I don't know if they are real or not.

Never said I was swearing off, said I'm a lot happier not arguing over stupid politics all the time. Said I'd check in so often, which is what I do.
At least he didn’t call you a liar!

But iaa isn’t gonna comment on your stats. They don’t meet his agenda so he ignores it. He would rather take personal shots than deal with the actual issue.

By the way, your number was low. There was 170,000 detainments at the border in March. It was the highest number in 15 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/p ... n.amp.html