Chase Benson #41

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Chase Benson #41

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:01 pm

Chase is listed as #41 on the roster.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Chase Benson #41

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:31 pm

👏👏👏

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Well deserved in my humble opinion...

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:06 pm

I believe he was slated to wear it last fall as well.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:12 pm

If not for TA, one could make an argument that he is the best player on the team.... Extremely underrated in my opinion.

Really excited to see him play in this new defensive scheme. I could see him come out this fall with a Zack Minter type season.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 am

He made an awesome play vs NDSU. Well deserved.

Glad that it isn’t Andersen. The #15 and he are synonymous. I can’t picture anyone else wearing that number again.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 am

Glad that it isn’t Andersen. The #15 and he are synonymous. I can’t picture anyone else wearing that number again.
#15 Will be retired at some point, Troy will earn and deserve his own place in bobcat history as a MT GOAT.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

Obviously, you can't have two #15s on defense in the same game, so this will have to change, but I can see him wearing the number in the future.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:25 pm

You can only retire so many numbers.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:13 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:25 pm
If you can have two guys (offense and defense) with the same number we've got a ways to go before we have to worry it.

The bigger question is what would Troy have to accomplish this season to get his number retired? I would think he'd have to set some records and win multiple awards/honors. We've had All Americans, we've had Buck winners. The last player to have his number retired (Kollar) finished playing almost 50 years ago.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:13 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
If you can have two guys (offense and defense) with the same number we've got a ways to go before we have to worry it.

The bigger question is what would Troy have to accomplish this season to get his number retired? I would think he'd have to set some records and win multiple awards/honors. We've had All Americans, we've had Buck winners. The last player to have his number retired (Kollar) finished playing almost 50 years ago.
Win a nation championship, rack up big numbers.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think the other key is doing something after MSU in football. Sure, he could have an unbelievable season and deserve to get his number retired, but that would have to be something special, even by his standards. I think realistically he would have to get into the NFL and make a few pro bowls. I just think a player has to do so much to have his number retired, especially in football. Look around at other programs in college football. A lot of them just have some sort of ring of honor or special hall of fame. Sometimes they have retired numbers from 60-70 years ago and you can tell they realized they couldn't keep doing that. Alabama doesn't retire numbers, they have "revered" numbers. Auburn has three: Bo Jackson, Terry Beasley and Pat Sullivan. Jackson and Sullivan both won the Heisman. So did Cam Newton and they haven't retired his jersey (granted he wasn't there his whole career but he did win a Heisman and a natty). Most schools just don't do it unless something really amazing happens. University of Washington has retired numbers but they still get worn by current players. USC has retired a bunch of numbers, but for instance they haven't retired Reggie Bush's #5. Still, nobody has worn it since he left. I think that's going to be more of the case for TA. Might not be retired, but it'll probably be a while before somebody wears 15 again (although I do think Grebe makes some sense in 15).

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 am
bobcat99 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think the other key is doing something after MSU in football. Sure, he could have an unbelievable season and deserve to get his number retired, but that would have to be something special, even by his standards. I think realistically he would have to get into the NFL and make a few pro bowls. I just think a player has to do so much to have his number retired, especially in football. Look around at other programs in college football. A lot of them just have some sort of ring of honor or special hall of fame. Sometimes they have retired numbers from 60-70 years ago and you can tell they realized they couldn't keep doing that. Alabama doesn't retire numbers, they have "revered" numbers. Auburn has three: Bo Jackson, Terry Beasley and Pat Sullivan. Jackson and Sullivan both won the Heisman. So did Cam Newton and they haven't retired his jersey (granted he wasn't there his whole career but he did win a Heisman and a natty). Most schools just don't do it unless something really amazing happens. University of Washington has retired numbers but they still get worn by current players. USC has retired a bunch of numbers, but for instance they haven't retired Reggie Bush's #5. Still, nobody has worn it since he left. I think that's going to be more of the case for TA. Might not be retired, but it'll probably be a while before somebody wears 15 again (although I do think Grebe makes some sense in 15).
I agree it's going to be hard to make an argument to retire 15 when so many other guys haven't had their number retired in the last 50 years. If we win the national championship this year and Troy is clearly the reason why, along with him winning multiple awards, then it gets retired. Otherwise I just don't see it happening, even if he deserves it.

Maybe we turn #15 into another version of #41. 15 could become the number given to the best offensive player regardless of where they are from since 41 would look weird on an offensive player.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 am
bobcat99 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I agree it's going to be hard to make an argument to retire 15 when so many other guys haven't had their number retired in the last 50 years. If we win the national championship this year and Troy is clearly the reason why, along with him winning multiple awards, then it gets retired. Otherwise I just don't see it happening, even if he deserves it.

Maybe we turn #15 into another version of #41. 15 could become the number given to the best offensive player regardless of where they are from since 41 would look weird on an offensive player.
I think that's more the way I see it going too. And maybe it's not even worn every year. Maybe it's reserved for those guys that are just different, and everybody knows when they see them. I don't think there's anything wrong with multiple legacy numbers, and I think that's better than retiring them. Honor that player by being selective about who wears it.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:03 am

coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I thought Kramer retired Ryan Johnson's #... but maybe I dreamt that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:11 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

#15 Will be retired at some point, Troy will earn and deserve his own place in bobcat history as a MT GOAT.
I think Troy is at least top 3 in MSU history. He's there with Sonny Holland and Bill Kollar. I put him ahead of Stenerud, who's biggest accomplishment was kicking a record 59-yard FG (with a big tailwind). He did his greatest as a player in the NFL, and I think that may have had a lot to do with him having his number retired. Don Haas was a great back, but not as formidable as Andersen.

We haven't retired a number since Kollar back in the mid-70s. I don't recall if all four were retired simultaneously, but if they weren't then Holland was first in the 50s, then Stenerud/Haas in the 60s, then Kollar. So we basically retired four numbers in a 20-year span. Only Holland has won a national title (NAIA as a player/NCAA as a coach). Two were NFL players (Kollar a first round pick; Stenerud in the NFL HOF). I don't think NFL accomplishments should be considered.

Like 99 I think you can't retire too many numbers. Some teams are unretiring numbers with the players blessing recently. We've had other great players since Kollar's 77 was retired, but none in that class until now. I think McGhee, had he not been injured, would be a consideration. I also think Mark Fellows, Ryan Johnson and Travis Lulay had considerable careers.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:03 am
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Might've retired his jersey, but not the number. I believe Lulay's jersey (not the number) was retired.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:03 am
coloradocat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

He might have but the school didn't.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:19 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:11 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

I think Troy is at least top 3 in MSU history. He's there with Sonny Holland and Bill Kollar. I put him ahead of Stenerud, who's biggest accomplishment was kicking a record 59-yard FG (with a big tailwind). He did his greatest as a player in the NFL, and I think that may have had a lot to do with him having his number retired. Don Haas was a great back, but not as formidable as Andersen.

We haven't retired a number since Kollar back in the mid-70s. I don't recall if all four were retired simultaneously, but if they weren't then Holland was first in the 50s, then Stenerud/Haas in the 60s, then Kollar. So we basically retired four numbers in a 20-year span. Only Holland has won a national title (NAIA as a player/NCAA as a coach). Two were NFL players (Kollar a first round pick; Stenerud in the NFL HOF). I don't think NFL accomplishments should be considered.

Like 99 I think you can't retire too many numbers. Some teams are unretiring numbers with the players blessing recently. We've had other great players since Kollar's 77 was retired, but none in that class until now. I think McGhee, had he not been injured, would be a consideration. I also think Mark Fellows, Ryan Johnson and Travis Lulay had considerable careers.
Maybe they should retire more numbers but just for a limited period of time (25 years, 50 years, life of player).

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:39 pm

Arguably, McGhee has had the better MSU career. I don’t see Andersen’s number being retired.