Jesse Owens enters the portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Jesse Owens enters the portal

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:04 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:52 pm
Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:48 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 pm
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:32 pm
15 on the roster, and five say they are headin' for the portal, doesn't that raise a red flag or two? Maybe Costello can get the answers that Sprinkle can't provide.
I don’t know if it’s as big of a red flag as half the griz team bolting midseason, but so glad you’re concerned. :roll:
Oh yes, because 3 guys, one of which didn’t even play, is such a red flag. And one guy who left after the second game because he didn’t play as much as he wanted. But go off.
And by the way, we played this season with 10 scholarship guys, almost all Freshman and Sophomores and only finished one spot below you. Let that sink in.
Oh joy, you’re back on the “griz are going dancing next year” train again. Good hell.

I’d opine that a bunch of guys leaving in the middle of a season, regardless of how much they played, is more worrisome than a bunch of guys who barely played leaving after the season is over. But that’s just me. You go ahead and book your Sweet 16 tickets for next year, chief.
One of the guys went back to Australia to nurse an injury, one left after two games because he wasn't playing as much as he thought, and the other left after getting into an argument with coaches, and having bad body language all year. As far as dancing, maybe not next year, but the year after. You can book that one.
And how many of them were going to be huge impact players according to you?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ And don’t forget the guys who were gone before the season started as well!! CuAgAu did make a great point though your Griz men’s program sounds an awful lot like the Griz women’s program that got Shannon fired!

And of course your team is young! All the older guys left!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
By “all the older guys”, do you mean 2? And how many guys left before the season? 1 faced criminal charges, and the other had bad grades. 0 of this is on Travis. People were leaving the lady griz because of Shannon, nobody has left because of Travis. Unfortunate circumstances yes, but let Trav get more than 10 scholarship guys, and we’ll be back to kicking your ass in 2 years tops.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:04 am
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
15 on the roster, and five say they are headin' for the portal, doesn't that raise a red flag or two? Maybe Costello can get the answers that Sprinkle can't provide.
I don’t know if it’s as big of a red flag as half the griz team bolting midseason, but so glad you’re concerned. :roll:
Oh yes, because 3 guys, one of which didn’t even play, is such a red flag. And one guy who left after the second game because he didn’t play as much as he wanted. But go off.
And by the way, we played this season with 10 scholarship guys, almost all Freshman and Sophomores and only finished one spot below you. Let that sink in.
Oh joy, you’re back on the “griz are going dancing next year” train again. Good hell.

I’d opine that a bunch of guys leaving in the middle of a season, regardless of how much they played, is more worrisome than a bunch of guys who barely played leaving after the season is over. But that’s just me. You go ahead and book your Sweet 16 tickets for next year, chief.
One of the guys went back to Australia to nurse an injury, one left after two games because he wasn't playing as much as he thought, and the other left after getting into an argument with coaches, and having bad body language all year. As far as dancing, maybe not next year, but the year after. You can book that one.
And how many of them were going to be huge impact players according to you?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ And don’t forget the guys who were gone before the season started as well!! CuAgAu did make a great point though your Griz men’s program sounds an awful lot like the Griz women’s program that got Shannon fired!

By “all the older guys”, do you mean 2? And how many guys left before the season? 1 faced criminal charges, and the other had bad grades. 0 of this is on Travis. People were leaving the lady griz because of Shannon, nobody has left because of Travis. Unfortunate circumstances yes, but let Trav get more than 10 scholarship guys, and we’ll be back to kicking your ass in 2 years tops.
I don't mean any trash talk with this, but what's the knock on Travis? I don't see one, other than not being able to keep Rollie Worster. I think that was on him but otherwise I haven't seen many mistakes. Is his name getting tossed around for other coaching jobs? He's been here what, 6 years now? I always wonder in the BSC, if a guy is in a job (football or basketball) for more than about 6 or 8 years, he's either not doing that good of a job (but not bad enough to get canned), or has some other reason he really just wants to stay put. Travis seems good enough to get pulled away soon. If he doesn't, maybe it remains to be seen whether he can build a roster from scratch? I'd imagine with this young roster he'll get it going pretty soon and get lured away. Again, seriously not trying to throw shade here, but I guess I don't know much about what's going on behind the scenes there. Is he getting looks? It seems weird to me that Sprinkle is getting looks at this point, honestly, especially if Travis isn't.

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:36 am

The Griz-Lady Griz comparison is valid, if for no other reason but one. The one who did NOT get to the crux of the Lady Griz problem(s)until it was too late, and the program in the can, evidently is using the same strategy with the men. Who dat? Haslam, the AD. That's why I mentioned Costello in a previous post.

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

I don't mean any trash talk with this, but what's the knock on Travis? I don't see one, other than not being able to keep Rollie Worster. I think that was on him but otherwise I haven't seen many mistakes. Is his name getting tossed around for other coaching jobs? He's been here what, 6 years now? I always wonder in the BSC, if a guy is in a job (football or basketball) for more than about 6 or 8 years, he's either not doing that good of a job (but not bad enough to get canned), or has some other reason he really just wants to stay put. Travis seems good enough to get pulled away soon. If he doesn't, maybe it remains to be seen whether he can build a roster from scratch? I'd imagine with this young roster he'll get it going pretty soon and get lured away. Again, seriously not trying to throw shade here, but I guess I don't know much about what's going on behind the scenes there. Is he getting looks? It seems weird to me that Sprinkle is getting looks at this point, honestly, especially if Travis isn't.
He’s been rumored for a couple of jobs, particularly WSU last year, but has also pulled himself out of consideration of others. If I had to guess, he’ll coach the young guys through, go to the tourney one or two times more, and then leave when either the Cal or UW jobs present themselves. (If he can get them) There really should be 0 knock on Travis, same as you guys with Sprinkle, he’s a good coach with extremely high expectations, and kids will occasionally transfer out when they don’t like it, as you guys are seeing right now.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:03 am

Griz__00 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

You really need to quit talking so much sh1t. Every post you make is throwing shade at the Cats. You are a primary example of why EVERYONE hates the Griz. The most vocal loudmouths that show the least amount of intelligence.

So Mr. brainiac. Did Decuire just not recruit any guys to be upper class men this year? Players has left the program on a regular basis going back a couple of years. That is why you have the youngest team today... it is because players have been leaving for multiple years! Now that sound an awful lot like the Lady Griz! It also resembles the enrollment situation at UM! But you probably never even went to the school...

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:03 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

You really need to quit talking so much sh1t. Every post you make is throwing shade at the Cats. You are a primary example of why EVERYONE hates the Griz. The most vocal loudmouths that show the least amount of intelligence.

So Mr. brainiac. Did Decuire just not recruit any guys to be upper class men this year? Players has left the program on a regular basis going back a couple of years. That is why you have the youngest team today... it is because players have been leaving for multiple years! Now that sound an awful lot like the Lady Griz! It also resembles the enrollment situation at UM! But you probably never even went to the school...
Actually, this is the first year the transfers actually played a role. The year before, it was a bunch of guys who didn’t really play, much like you guys have this year. You see, the problem is, you somehow make this an issue for the Griz, but not the Cats. Thing is, in modern college basketball, if guys don’t play right away, they leave. And you’re seeing it in both MT schools, and around the conference. We will have a better team next year that will be a step back in the right direction, and the year after that it will be back to real Griz basketball. Once again, book it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Actually, this is the first year the transfers actually played a role. The year before, it was a bunch of guys who didn’t really play, much like you guys have this year. You see, the problem is, you somehow make this an issue for the Griz, but not the Cats. Thing is, in modern college basketball, if guys don’t play right away, they leave. And you’re seeing it in both MT schools, and around the conference. We will have a better team next year that will be a step back in the right direction, and the year after that it will be back to real Griz basketball. Once again, book it.
We have a new coach! There is going to be turnover as he builds the program. But here is a little reminder of the guys that have left the Griz program. Reminds me a lot of the Lady Griz.

https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketba ... er/2018-19

https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketba ... er/2019-20

https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketba ... er/2020-21

And these past rosters have even removed some of the departed players like Satterwhite and Timmy Falls. Hilarious! I would love to see a side by side comparison of departed Lady Griz and departed Griz. And I bet the men’s Griz have more mid season departures!

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm
Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

We have a new coach! There is going to be turnover as he builds the program. But here is a little reminder of the guys that have left the Griz program. Reminds me a lot of the Lady Griz.

https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketba ... er/2018-19

https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketba ... er/2019-20

https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketba ... er/2020-21

And these past rosters have even removed some of the departed players like Satterwhite and Timmy Falls. Hilarious! I would love to see a side by side comparison of departed Lady Griz and departed Griz. And I bet the men’s Griz have more mid season departures!
Those departures weren’t because of Travis, or because of our culture like I’ve already addressed. What I say goes in one ear out the other with you. The Griz win games. The Lady Griz did not. And if you think the men griz are taking a lady grip path, reality is going to slap you straight across the face in due time, and you know it, but deep down you just can’t admit it.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:12 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
This is really a stupid post!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:17 pm

College players at um and MSU are never going pro so this is it. If you don't see minutes coming your way after working your ass off in practice everyday and beating your body up you are going to transfer. It used to be more difficult but now that it is easy I expect 5 players per year to transfer. Why would they stay if they can play somewhere else even if at a NAIA school.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 pm

gtapp wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:17 pm
College players at um and MSU are never going pro so this is it. If you don't see minutes coming your way after working your ass off in practice everyday and beating your body up you are going to transfer. It used to be more difficult but now that it is easy I expect 5 players per year to transfer. Why would they stay if they can play somewhere else even if at a NAIA school.
Never? There are three former Bobcats currently playing pro ball and one of those played in the NBA in the last year. An MSU player going pro isn’t going to happen a lot though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:30 pm

The Griz had 5 future pros on the same team just 2 years ago.(Manuel-Pridgett-Akoh-Oguine-Rorie) Pros at this level aren’t as rare as you’d think. It’s the NBA guys that are(not G-league, those happen too). There is currently an average of about 32 division one players in the transfer portal per conference. It’s modern basketball. Transfers happen. For this clown to suggest the Griz are headed down a bad path because of transfers that had nothing to do with bad coaching is just straight up stupid.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:19 am

I love how this thread has devolved into two Griz trolls trying to argue two completely opposite points of view.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 am

I'll keep this brief - no, this is not a red flag for Sprinkle and the program. Carry on.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:56 am

Every program across the country will see multiple players enter the transfer portal every season going forward. It’s just how the system works now.

This thread is stupid.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:23 am

My point of view was heavily influenced by the actions, or apparent inactions, of Haslam during the Lady Griz implosion, which dragged on for four f*cking years. Costello doesn't seem to be a Haslam.

Double aught has his own view(s), which is fine, as contrasted to the 'circle the wagons' approach of much of BN to views not totally flattering to the blue and yella. I couldn't resist that last, parting shot at some of you pose-ters. BN does have some fine, thoughtful posters, but few showed up on this thread.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:58 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:39 am

All the best Jesse.