Jesse Owens enters the portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Jesse Owens enters the portal

Post by AFCAT » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:25 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Jesse Owens enters the portal

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm

I don’t think we’re going to have a bloated roster problem due to the zero-year.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:44 am

#-o

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

dwainegf
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dwainegf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 am

Owens was a walk on and didn't count against scholarship limit. I suspect he will follow Belach to the Pioneer League. That is if he wants to play in Montana. Shabazz didn't play much and Fluete wanted more playing time that likely wasn't going to be there for a couple of years. Hood also didn't seem to fit well and with Tynes getting more playing time at the end of the year, he likely was the odd man out there. Did I miss anyone?
I believe we will continue to see these transfers as long as there isn't a waiting period. We live in a "I want it now." society.
I don't know if the Cats will go with 15 scholarship players next year or not. I hope he does but I don't know what the finances of that look like.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:44 pm

No sense in hating on them for leaving, just like there is no sense in wanting them to stay. I want a roster full of kids that can play at this level and want to be Bobcats. I’d like to see what percentage of transfer portal kids actually finish their playing career out and just don’t quit. I think Danny will try to find ways to get Montana kids in the roster. Whether they can play is up to them.

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:32 pm

15 on the roster, and five say they are headin' for the portal, doesn't that raise a red flag or two? Maybe Costello can get the answers that Sprinkle can't provide.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 pm

None that are in the portal played significant minutes. What red flag are you insinuating. Transferring is easy now. So, if kids have kliw minutes they leave. Don't like coach they leave. Are really good and think they can move to bigger program they may leave.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:35 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 pm
None that are in the portal played significant minutes. What red flag are you insinuating. Transferring is easy now. So, if kids have kliw minutes they leave. Don't like coach they leave. Are really good and think they can move to bigger program they may leave.
She/He is a griz troll.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:43 pm

Tetoncat, I am just wondering why a third of the roster wants out. Kind of reminded me of the Lady Griz roster bolting Schweyen, and nobody, including the AD, found out WHY.

AFscat, your typical response, as usual. My two word reply to you is _______ ____. Hint: the second word is YOU.

4Bob0Cats6
New Recruit

Post by 4Bob0Cats6 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:19 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:43 pm
Tetoncat, I am just wondering why a third of the roster wants out. Kind of reminded me of the Lady Griz roster bolting Schweyen, and nobody, including the AD, found out WHY.

AFscat, your typical response, as usual. My two word reply to you is _______ ____. Hint: the second word is YOU.
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Same sort of thing happened to the Griz men’s team, except you had players leaving in the middle of the season and some of them were starters and players seeing significant minutes.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:32 pm
15 on the roster, and five say they are headin' for the portal, doesn't that raise a red flag or two? Maybe Costello can get the answers that Sprinkle can't provide.
I don’t know if it’s as big of a red flag as half the griz team bolting midseason, but so glad you’re concerned. :roll:

GO CATS GO!!!

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:48 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 pm
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
I don’t know if it’s as big of a red flag as half the griz team bolting midseason, but so glad you’re concerned. :roll:
Oh yes, because 3 guys, one of which didn’t even play, is such a red flag. And one guy who left after the second game because he didn’t play as much as he wanted. But go off.
And by the way, we played this season with 10 scholarship guys, almost all Freshman and Sophomores and only finished one spot below you. Let that sink in.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:52 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:48 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Oh yes, because 3 guys, one of which didn’t even play, is such a red flag. And one guy who left after the second game because he didn’t play as much as he wanted. But go off.
And by the way, we played this season with 10 scholarship guys, almost all Freshman and Sophomores and only finished one spot below you. Let that sink in.
Oh joy, you’re back on the “griz are going dancing next year” train again. Good hell.

I’d opine that a bunch of guys leaving in the middle of a season, regardless of how much they played, is more worrisome than a bunch of guys who barely played leaving after the season is over. But that’s just me. You go ahead and book your Sweet 16 tickets for next year, chief.

GO CATS GO!!!

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:52 pm
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Oh joy, you’re back on the “griz are going dancing next year” train again. Good hell.

I’d opine that a bunch of guys leaving in the middle of a season, regardless of how much they played, is more worrisome than a bunch of guys who barely played leaving after the season is over. But that’s just me. You go ahead and book your Sweet 16 tickets for next year, chief.
One of the guys went back to Australia to nurse an injury, one left after two games because he wasn't playing as much as he thought, and the other left after getting into an argument with coaches, and having bad body language all year. As far as dancing, maybe not next year, but the year after. You can book that one.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:13 pm

Wow! Lots of emotions and the season doesn’t even start for another 7 or 8 months. It’s obvious that Costello has a problem with Binford and Sprinkle and needs to consider a plan to find coaches that won’t win so many games. They’re also ruining the program with transfers and foreign students. I’m expecting any day the Governor will announce a bipartisan committee to investigate the the systemic problems in the athletic department at Montana State. There’s no doubt this is going to be an exciting off season!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:17 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
I'm sure you're well aware of this and are just trying to stir up ****** on here as usual, but the reason I don't see any red flags is that the five players entering the transfer portal were 8th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th in minutes played of the 14 players who saw action for MSU this season. Sprinkle has five freshmen signed or committed and reportedly at least two of his all-conference seniors planning to take advantage of the "free" year of eligibility offered by the NCAA, so those spots need to come from somewhere on the existing roster. I know Sprinkle said that all of the leaving players approached him about it, but I'd wager that most if not all of these guys wouldn't have been on MSU's 2021-22 roster one way or another. There are going to be a lot of guys at the back end of D-1 rosters who get squeezed out this off-season due to the repercussions of Covid.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:32 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Bless you too, Skippy.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 am

Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

One of the guys went back to Australia to nurse an injury, one left after two games because he wasn't playing as much as he thought, and the other left after getting into an argument with coaches, and having bad body language all year. As far as dancing, maybe not next year, but the year after. You can book that one.
And how many of them were going to be huge impact players according to you?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ And don’t forget the guys who were gone before the season started as well!! CuAgAu did make a great point though your Griz men’s program sounds an awful lot like the Griz women’s program that got Shannon fired!

And of course your team is young! All the older guys left!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

And how many of them were going to be huge impact players according to you?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ And don’t forget the guys who were gone before the season started as well!! CuAgAu did make a great point though your Griz men’s program sounds an awful lot like the Griz women’s program that got Shannon fired!

And of course your team is young! All the older guys left!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember, it's all about #moraLvictories over there.

"bUt OuR tEaM wAs YoUnG aNd We StIlL hAvE mOnTe!"

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 am

If you're running a college team of any sport this year, you have to get rid of a few non-productive players. I'm sure Sprinkle is sad about a couple of these guys leaving because he likes them as people, and there's a chance some of them could've been productive someday, but this year if you want to get new recruits in AND take advantage of the zero year, somebody has to go. It's either get rid of unproductive players, don't recruit new players, or somehow don't keep guys like Xavier Bishop. And if you want to replace your 14th best player, you shouldn't have any trouble finding somebody for that spot. If you do, maybe recruiting is not for you.