Transition

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Transition

Post by Common Cat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm

I've been interested in how the transition has been for both players and coaches who were retained? I also know that some of this is probably confidential, but nonetheless, I am a bit starved for football content and it's been on my mind.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transition

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:02 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm
I've been interested in how the transition has been for both players and coaches who were retained? I also know that some of this is probably confidential, but nonetheless, I am a bit starved for football content and it's been on my mind.
Udy opted to stay and nobody has entered the transfer portal so those are both good signs. Everything said to the media for public consumption has been positive so far. Maybe some QB Clubbers can give us some non-specific insider info.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:56 am

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:40 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:02 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm
Udy opted to stay and nobody has entered the transfer portal so those are both good signs. Everything said to the media for public consumption has been positive so far. Maybe some QB Clubbers can give us some non-specific insider info.
Transfers won't happen until after spring ball and depth charts. Announcing now is worthless, you would get probably cut from spring ball and lose your scholarship at the end of the semester.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:47 pm

I get pretty excited about the QB competition, the depth at RB, the talent at LB , and hearing about the subtle changes that will only make us better. I anticipate one of the three QB's mentioned will leave after spring ball. The field is just to deep and there is a bunch of young talent on the other end. I believe they all want to be the guy and someone will consider finding a place that they can play.

Our running back stable is loaded and honestly don't need Troy to take that pounding. He has paid his dues, he wants to play defense, let's respect that and enjoy the short amount of time he has left.

Speaking of Troy, our LB corp is just as loaded and deep as our RB's. The new defensive scheme will fit our stable of LB's quite nicely. Most importantly, I believe we will have the best O Line in the Big Sky. I think those guys will come out and flat move people. I am anxious to see the new looks.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:30 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:47 pm
I get pretty excited about the QB competition, the depth at RB, the talent at LB , and hearing about the subtle changes that will only make us better. I anticipate one of the three QB's mentioned will leave after spring ball. The field is just to deep and there is a bunch of young talent on the other end. I believe they all want to be the guy and someone will consider finding a place that they can play.

Our running back stable is loaded and honestly don't need Troy to take that pounding. He has paid his dues, he wants to play defense, let's respect that and enjoy the short amount of time he has left.

Speaking of Troy, our LB corp is just as loaded and deep as our RB's. The new defensive scheme will fit our stable of LB's quite nicely. Most importantly, I believe we will have the best O Line in the Big Sky. I think those guys will come out and flat move people. I am anxious to see the new looks.
I think our O-Line will be the best in the FCS. Really strong and deep at most positions. Interior D-Line is my biggest concern with only one player with much experience and not a lot of size. A lot of new guys there.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:53 pm

I agree, D line has some questions. But the young talent there with Benson leading the charge gives me great hope.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:13 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:53 pm
I agree, D line has some questions. But the young talent there with Benson leading the charge gives me great hope.
Give amandre some credit at full time dline

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:13 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:53 pm
Give amandre some credit at full time dline
Have to admit I forgot about him. He may be a preseason candidate for DPOY. Our weak spot is better than many teams that say Their DL is their strength. Good problem to have!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:06 pm

Justin Udy’s transition to WR’s coach ...

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 39121.html

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 pm

Great article, and Udy seems like an excellent character guy, I think we're going to see really good things from him and this offense in the Fall.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:44 pm

So those of you who have been to practice or have seen the new regime in work- what are you seeing? Any concerns or positives?

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:44 pm
So those of you who have been to practice or have seen the new regime in work- what are you seeing? Any concerns or positives?
While I haven't seen a practice in person in decades, and I have nothing to base this on other than conjecture, I believe the single biggest "concern" I have has to be the coaching transition and the energy level/intensity of the past regime (Choate) and the new one (Vigen). How will the calmer, cooler, and more "analytical" head coach translate into on the ground success or lack thereof? This transition is all about leadership!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:02 pm
Common Cat wrote:
While I haven't seen a practice in person in decades, and I have nothing to base this on other than conjecture, I believe the single biggest "concern" I have has to be the coaching transition and the energy level/intensity of the past regime (Choate) and the new one (Vigen). How will the calmer, cooler, and more "analytical" head coach translate into on the ground success or lack thereof? This transition is all about leadership!
Man I have the same worry/concern! Does our toughness erode if its not being demanded(not to say it isn't? Choate made us tough, demanded it even. We can look back at certain games and attribute wins to it. You don't beat the griz 4 years in a row without it.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:22 am

Common Cat wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Man I have the same worry/concern! Does our toughness erode if its not being demanded(not to say it isn't? Choate made us tough, demanded it even. We can look back at certain games and attribute wins to it. You don't beat the griz 4 years in a row without it.
I think it needed to be demanded for most of the time Choate was here because it was something the program needed. Now, thanks to a shift in culture and probably a different type of recruit, that toughness is just ingrained. You can't expect it to stay without some emphasis on it, but I don't think you need Choate's CONSTANT stress on it anymore. It's there. They can do enough to keep it while emphasizing things Choate maybe wasn't as good at or didn't have the chance to address

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Intimidation and demands are probably the least effective motivational techniques available to a coach today. Woody Hayes and Vince Lombarfy were examples that thrived in the dark ages of motivation. Since the age of enlightenment much more successful strategies and techniques have made them obsolete.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:22 am
Common Cat wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I think it needed to be demanded for most of the time Choate was here because it was something the program needed. Now, thanks to a shift in culture and probably a different type of recruit, that toughness is just ingrained. You can't expect it to stay without some emphasis on it, but I don't think you need Choate's CONSTANT stress on it anymore. It's there. They can do enough to keep it while emphasizing things Choate maybe wasn't as good at or didn't have the chance to address
I agree, but from the limited reports I've heard coming out of Spring - I can't say I'm 100% convinced we aren't going to take a step back in terms of physical and mental toughness, and intensity. I'm pretty sure we'll get there and certainly hope we don't take a step back but anxiously waiting to see how this team plays under Vigen. With Choate, you know 100% without a doubt once he got his players and his culture instilled... NOBODY is taking a play off in games, practice, workouts, ever. Hopefully Vigen understands that is by far the most important component at play here.

Watching the Griz today, yes I know they're beating up on a DII school but those guys are going to play their asses off for Hauck. Vigen better have this team ready.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:20 pm

I don't understand the trepidation about Coach Vigen and his coaching style. It's not like he's come from programs that were soft and didn't play hard. Do people not think he understands that physicality and toughness are a big key to winning national championships? I don't get it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:20 pm
I don't understand the trepidation about Coach Vigen and his coaching style. It's not like he's come from programs that were soft and didn't play hard. Do people not think he understands that physicality and toughness are a big key to winning national championships? I don't get it.
For some reason people think Choate is the only coach at MSU to get players to play hard and tough.

Choate was a good coach, but he might have been an even better self promoter lol.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:20 pm
For some reason people think Choate is the only coach at MSU to get players to play hard and tough.

Choate was a good coach, but he might have been an even better self promoter lol.
I've always been one of Choate's biggest fans, but I'm with you 100%. I don't want to take away from the fact that his teams did play hard and earned wins they had no business getting because of that. But THAT level of intensity isn't a prerequisite for playing hard and tough. It will remain to be seen whether MSU has players that need that external stimulus to play hard or if they're actually capable of doing so without Jeff Choate being a master motivator. Choate could be the greatest motivator of all time, but we're crazy if we think the only teams who played hard were teams coached by guys like that.

Having said that, I think Vigen is in trouble if he tries to BE Jeff Choate. If he tries to motivate using the same means, he'll get laughed out of the locker room. I just believe there are other ways to carry on a culture of toughness than to replicate Choate.